What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another Chipotle Fiasco - What would you have done? (1 Viewer)

Willie Neslon

Footballguy
Long story short I decided to stop and get a burrito at Chipotle on my way home this afternoon. After about 5 minutes in line I get to the front and order a burrito to go. The woman puts the tortilla in the tortilla heater. While my tortilla is being warmed a third woman comes out from the back. She already has gloves on her hands and goes to the hand sanitizer dispenser where she get a little mound of the stuff on her gloved palm and then rubs her gloved hands together once, maybe twice. Just enough to have decent sized gobs of sanitizer on both gloved hands. She then takes my tortilla out of the warmer with her hand, plops it down on the counter and asks me what I want on it. She touched it again with her other hand to straighten it out. I froze for a few seconds because I didn't want to make a stink but at the same time I didn't want to eat a burrito covered in Purell. I eventually got words out and asked if she put sanitizer on her gloves and then handled my tortilla. She kind of shrugged, looked over her shoulder towards the dispenser and then back at me. She didn't answer the question so I gave her the answer and let her know that she in fact did put sanitizer on her gloves and then grabbed my tortilla. At this point the other woman comes over and asks what's up. I tell her what happened and she tells the other woman to change her gloves. Then she asks me what I want on my burrito. I tell her I want a new tortilla because that one has Purell on it. Apparently she didn't understand what I was saying as she stood there and looked at me. I had the thought maybe this is what they do in this store? Put sanitizer on the gloves as to extend the use of the them? I can't get the thought out of my head about the tortilla tasting like sanitizer so I say just cancel the order and I walk out burritoless.

Did I overreact to the girl putting sanitizer on her gloves? Is this the way people do it now? Was there a change in glove/sanitizer protocols during the pandemic and I just missed it? Would you eat something if you saw someone handle your food wearing gloves covered in sanitizer? Keep in mind she would have had to eventually roll the burrito. I had a similar experience a few years back and started a thread about it where the guy grabbed the trash can and then touched my burrito but I can't find it. Thanks guys. I look forward to reading the comments.

Huh. Seems like a simple, friendly- can you swap that purell tortilla for a fresh purell-less tortilla please- might have done the trick. Not sure where/why this interaction got weird...but it obviously did.

And no way I eat that thing. 
I guess I was so stunned I froze for a second and didn't really know what to say. Then I thought maybe she did it absent-mindedly and by just asking her if she did it she'd snap out of it, change her gloves and toss the tortilla. I didn't want to embarrass her or come off like a jerk but at the same time I wasn't eating that thing.

You did right, Willie. Sanitizing gel is meant to absorb into the skin while the alcohol evaporated. That gel is not going to absorb into a glove.

Procedurally, anyone returning from a non-food production area to the prep line needs to re-wash hands and don a new pair of gloves. Sanitizer ain’t gonna make a pair of gloves last all shift.

So you are one of those guys huh? Here we have a restaurant going the extra mile to make sure you are not getting the Covid, and you complain. This woman went out of her way to make sure your Chipolte experience was disease free and what did she get for it? Everyone knows the tortilla of of the burrito is the most likely way one will get Covid in a Mexican restaurant. You HAVE TO Germ-x that #####. She stepped up and said, "No Covid in my kitchen!!" and you didn't appreciate her efforts...for shame.... 

So you are one of those guys huh? Here we have a restaurant going the extra mile to make sure you are not getting the Covid, and you complain. This woman went out of her way to make sure your Chipolte experience was disease free and what did she get for it? Everyone knows the tortilla of of the burrito is the most likely way one will get Covid in a Mexican restaurant. You HAVE TO Germ-x that #####. She stepped up and said, "No Covid in my kitchen!!" and you didn't appreciate her efforts...for shame.... 
quality schtick

Honestly, Chipotle is overrated anyway. It’s not as bad as Taco Bell, but it’s not great.
See...I disagree.

I don't know anybody who's aware or used to eating standard Tex/Cali-mex burritos who thinks it's great. That said- it is way better than most stuff trying to make that style of food, and is consistent. I grew up in NCal, and it took basically until Chipotle for anything in NYC to get it mostly right. It's the flavors. Are there actually people out there who think this place is amazing and rate it as fine dining??

Eta...and its as close to Taco Bell as any Chinatown chinese restaurant is to panda express. Not close.

Last edited by a moderator:
You gave us long story short version. When I hear the the entire,  long version, I can come up with the appropriate response 
The rest of the story would have been about why I stopped there for food. It's been two weeks since my second vax shot and had plans to hang out with friends for food and drink yesterday but those plans got cancelled because of a work emergency. I had eaten light because we had those plans to go out to eat so I was starving by the time I stopped at chipotle. I hadn't been to chipotle in a long time either so stopping there seemed ideal. Also, I almost got clipped making a right turn by a speeding pick-up who blew through a light right before I got there. It wasn't relevant to the story so I decided to leave that part out. There was also a chapter after I got home where told the Mrs what happened and she thought maybe the sanitizer wasn't sanitizer but a "water-based" solution to clean the gloves. After pressing her on what exactly this water-based solution was she wouldn't rule out that it was simply water. I told her there was a sink right next to the dispenser so it wouldn't make a ton of sense to put a water dispenser right next to an actual water dispenser, aka a faucet. She had no answer and just shrugged. I told her maybe she should apply to work at the chipotle because she would fit right in. I ended up eating a frozen pizza alone.

The rest of the story would have been about why I stopped there for food. I am two weeks out from the second vax shot and had plans to hang out with friends for food and drink yesterday but those plans got cancelled because of a work emergency. I had eaten light because we had those plans to go out to eat so I was starving by the time I stopped at chipotle. I hadn't been to chipotle in a long time either so stopping htere seemed ideal. Also, I almost got clipped making a right turn by a speeding pick-up who blew through a light right before I got there. It wasn't relevant to the story so I decided to leave that part out. There was also a chapter after I got home where told the Mrs what happened and she thought maybe the sanitizer wasn't sanitizer but a "water-based" solution to clean the gloves. After pressing her on what exactly this water-based solution was she wouldn't rule out that it was simply water. I told her there was a sink right next to the dispenser so it wouldn't make a ton of sense to put a water dispenser right next to an actual water dispenser, aka a faucet. She had no answer and just shrugged. I told her maybe she should apply to work at the chipotle because she would fit right in. I ended up eating a frozen pizza alone.
Start hiding burritos.

Completely irrelevant, doesn't connect to this story at all, but it seemed appropriate to share my Dunkin Donuts story in this thread. To satisfy the folks who want details, I'll tell the story EXACTLY like my brother tells stories. With every detail.

My wife and I tried to take the grandkids to breakfast. We got off to a late start because we are in our mid 40s and the kids are almost 4 and 2. Much more tiring that I remember 20+ years ago when our kids were this age. Anyway, we went to Rite Aid first so my wife could get her second covid shot. I'm fully vaccinated, but she was up for her second one today. The kids and I sat in the car as she had to wait 15 minutes and I didn't want to chase the kids around the drug store the whole time. When she got her first shot, we ALSO had the youngest with us. She basically went around the store for 15 minutes pulling things off the shelves for me to put back on. After the shot we went to a local restaurant but it had a bunch of people waiting. I suggested we go to Cracker Barrel on the way to Walmart (we had to get some slippers for the kids because it got down into the 40s this weekend and the wife is convinced they needed some for the house. I explained to her that by Monday the temp will be back up to the 70s, so they were literally going to wear them for like a day. She said that she wears slippers all the time, so will they.  :rolleyes:  (Walmart did NOT have slippers when we finally got there).  Cracker Barrel had an HOUR wait. Which was surprising because the parking lot was not full. Most likely due to the lack of staff that most places around here are suffering from. We went to Quaker Steak a few weeks back and my son was convinced that we had to wait because of "state capacity restrictions". The waitress verified that the problem wasn't restrictions and was due to "Not being able to find people to work". Anyway, I digress.. Next we went to Perkins to see what their wait was. It was packed. There was a Bob Evans around the corner so we checked them out even though the last time we were there it sucked. They were also packed. Our last resort was Dunkin Donuts that was part of a local gas station. We pulled up to the parking lot and checked it out from the car. Looks like the dining room had open tables as only a couple had signs on them that said "Closed for distancing". We pulled the kids out of the car, grabbed the stupid bags and went inside. The girl behind the counter saw us and said, "Sorry! We are only open drive through only!" Now my wife is getting frustrated, but we pack the kids up in the car and get into the long as line for the drive through. When we finally get to the order speaker this is how it went...

Me: Do you have any cassava donuts?

Girl: Uh... What?

Me: Cassava donuts?  They would have like cream filling and strawberry

Girl: Oh! Boston Cream Pie! We have that.

Me: No, not Boston Cream.  These would have like strawberries in them and filling. Like a Cassava cake.

Girl: That's not what that is.

Me: Do you have GLAZED DONUTS THEN? HOW ABOUT ONE OF THOSE?

Girl: Sure. Anything else? 

Me: One of those bacon egg bagel things.

Girl: You want a sandwich? 

Me: Sure. With bacon, egg and the bagel. 

Girl: Please pull ahead!

Me:  :wall:

So the to keep this story short, the girl at Dunkin had NO IDEA what she was doing. Walmart didn't have the shoelaces or slippers my wife was looking for, but we still ended up spending like $90. My wife got her second shot and is now invincible like me and NO.. You didn't overreact at Chipotle.

Completely irrelevant, doesn't connect to this story at all, but it seemed appropriate to share my Dunkin Donuts story in this thread. To satisfy the folks who want details, I'll tell the story EXACTLY like my brother tells stories. With every detail.

My wife and I tried to take the grandkids to breakfast. We got off to a late start because we are in our mid 40s and the kids are almost 4 and 2. Much more tiring that I remember 20+ years ago when our kids were this age. Anyway, we went to Rite Aid first so my wife could get her second covid shot. I'm fully vaccinated, but she was up for her second one today. The kids and I sat in the car as she had to wait 15 minutes and I didn't want to chase the kids around the drug store the whole time. When she got her first shot, we ALSO had the youngest with us. She basically went around the store for 15 minutes pulling things off the shelves for me to put back on. After the shot we went to a local restaurant but it had a bunch of people waiting. I suggested we go to Cracker Barrel on the way to Walmart (we had to get some slippers for the kids because it got down into the 40s this weekend and the wife is convinced they needed some for the house. I explained to her that by Monday the temp will be back up to the 70s, so they were literally going to wear them for like a day. She said that she wears slippers all the time, so will they.  :rolleyes:  (Walmart did NOT have slippers when we finally got there).  Cracker Barrel had an HOUR wait. Which was surprising because the parking lot was not full. Most likely due to the lack of staff that most places around here are suffering from. We went to Quaker Steak a few weeks back and my son was convinced that we had to wait because of "state capacity restrictions". The waitress verified that the problem wasn't restrictions and was due to "Not being able to find people to work". Anyway, I digress.. Next we went to Perkins to see what their wait was. It was packed. There was a Bob Evans around the corner so we checked them out even though the last time we were there it sucked. They were also packed. Our last resort was Dunkin Donuts that was part of a local gas station. We pulled up to the parking lot and checked it out from the car. Looks like the dining room had open tables as only a couple had signs on them that said "Closed for distancing". We pulled the kids out of the car, grabbed the stupid bags and went inside. The girl behind the counter saw us and said, "Sorry! We are only open drive through only!" Now my wife is getting frustrated, but we pack the kids up in the car and get into the long as line for the drive through. When we finally get to the order speaker this is how it went...

Me: No, not Boston Cream.  These would have like strawberries in them and filling. Like a Cassava cake.

So the to keep this story short, the girl at Dunkin had NO IDEA what she was doing. Walmart didn't have the shoelaces or slippers my wife was looking for, but we still ended up spending like $90. My wife got her second shot and is not invincible like me and NO.. You didn't overreact at Chipotle.
What tf is a cassava donut dunkin donuts has been around for like 300 years you know what is on the menu at this point stop trying to make up donuts that are like fancy cakes you know about and hoping they have one behind the counter in the secret cassava cake donut bin just for people who know the off menu things like an in and out 

So the to keep this story short, the girl at Dunkin had NO IDEA what she was doing. Walmart didn't have the shoelaces or slippers my wife was looking for, but we still ended up spending like $90. My wife got her second shot and is now invincible like me and NO.. You didn't overreact at Chipotle.
Great story. The part where you say you are a grampa in your mid 40's really threw me. I will say though, I believe cassava refers to the flour used in making the donut and not the style. And cassava cake is a totally different thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassava_cake

What tf is a cassava donut dunkin donuts has been around for like 300 years you know what is on the menu at this point stop trying to make up donuts that are like fancy cakes you know about and hoping they have one behind the counter in the secret cassava cake donut bin just for people who know the off menu things like an in and out 
:shrug:  All I know is my wife said "They have them at the Dunkin by us...." She is the person that can't just order a standard item off the menu. Everything is customized. She doesn't eat this, don't eat that.. Needs extra whatever, no bun (because THAT is healthier), etc. I've learned to expect it from her. We've been married a few years.

Great story. The part where you say you are a grampa in your mid 40's really threw me. I will say though, I believe cassava refers to the flour used in making the donut and not the style. And cassava cake is a totally different thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassava_cake
It's not a boston cream pie donut. That's all I know. When you have kids right out of high school, you tend to become a grandparent pretty early.  :D

See...I disagree.

I don't know anybody who's aware or used to eating standard Tex/Cali-mex burritos who thinks it's great. That said- it is way better than most stuff trying to make that style of food, and is consistent. I grew up in NCal, and it took basically until Chipotle for anything in NYC to get it mostly right. It's the flavors. Are there actually people out there who think this place is amazing and rate it as fine dining??

Eta...and its as close to Taco Bell as any Chinatown chinese restaurant is to panda express. Not close.
That’s fair, maybe it’s because I like Tijuana Flats(a Florida chain) and Taco Shack(a local place here in Martin County), and prefer it to Chipotle given the choice. Everyone has their tastes.

:shrug:  All I know is my wife said "They have them at the Dunkin by us...." She is the person that can't just order a standard item off the menu. Everything is customized. She doesn't eat this, don't eat that.. Needs extra whatever, no bun (because THAT is healthier), etc. I've learned to expect it from her. We've been married a few years.
Lol I was going to say that that sounded like something my wife would order i would rather buy tampons and vagisil than order her coffee 

https://mummymade.it/2016/07/cassava-flour-donuts.html

I googled, is this the type of donut you wanted?  It sounds like you were free styling, ordering something off the menu.  I wish we could hear Dunkin girl's story about the old grandpa who got crotchety when confused about what donuts they sold.

I googled, is this the type of donut you wanted?  It sounds like you were free styling, ordering something off the menu.  I wish we could hear Dunkin girl's story about the old grandpa who got crotchety when confused about what donuts they sold.
Ok.. Look here all you cassava experts.. What she asked for was actually a cassata donut. Not cassava. I mispronounce and misspell stuff all the time so when I tried googling it to see how to spell it "cassava" is what came back. That is obviously not right. She likes the Italian Cassata cakes with the strawberries and crap in them. I know this because she wanted one of them for her birthday because "she doesn't like cake other than cassata". I think I pronounced it "CA-SADA" rather than "Cassata" cake to the Dunkin girl. Either way I didn't get crotchety because I don't do that to people who are handling my food. I've worked in restraunts when I was younger. I know what happens. DON'T SEND YOUR FOOD BACK OR GET STUPID WITH THEM BEFORE YOU GET YOUR FOOD.

THIS is what she was looking for. But in a friggin donut I guess - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassata

In and around Northeast Ohio, particularly in the Cleveland area, the term "cassata cake" refers to a sponge cake soaked in syrup or rum, filled with strawberries and custard, and covered with sweetened whipped cream. This Cleveland version of the cassata first appeared in the early 1920s at LaPuma Spumoni & Bakery in Cleveland. The children of the owners did not like traditional cassata cake, made with sweetened ricotta, chocolate chips, and candied fruit. Using what he had in the bakery, Tomasso LaPuma created what was to become known as the Cleveland cassata cake. The fifth generation of this bakery, now located in the city's eastern suburb of Chesterland,[11] still continues to make the original version of this cake, as do many other Italian bakeries in the area.[12]

We live in the Cleveland area. It's called "Pop" not soda, and our Cassata cakes have strawberries in them!  :P

Oh, and for the record it WAS 100% freestyling. My wife ALWAYS thinks places have stuff on their menu they don't because she "saw it in a commercial" or "saw it on facebook". Pretty sure it is some other donut place that offers them. 

For the love of all that is holy, COVID DOESN'T SPREAD FROM SURFACE TO SURFACE CONTACT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so sick of the over-sanitizing efforts businesses are still doing because of this mistaken un-scientific belief.  If you want to wash more and sanitize surfaces in general because of the flu or general cleanliness, great, but this has nothing to do with COVID.

For the love of all that is holy, COVID DOESN'T SPREAD FROM SURFACE TO SURFACE CONTACT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so sick of the over-sanitizing efforts businesses are still doing because of this mistaken un-scientific belief.  If you want to wash more and sanitize surfaces in general because of the flu or general cleanliness, great, but this has nothing to do with COVID.
I hear you but most places like this were doing the over-sanitizing thing even before covid. It's been many years since someone working in food prep has been without the plastic gloves. And we can't rule out someone who puts sanitizer on the outside of the gloves may have kept the gloves on in the crapper so in my case it may not have been a covid-related sanitation attempt.

Long story short I decided to stop and get a burrito at Chipotle on my way home this afternoon. After about 5 minutes in line I get to the front and order a burrito to go. The woman puts the tortilla in the tortilla heater. While my tortilla is being warmed a third woman comes out from the back. She already has gloves on her hands and goes to the hand sanitizer dispenser where she get a little mound of the stuff on her gloved palm and then rubs her gloved hands together once, maybe twice. Just enough to have decent sized gobs of sanitizer on both gloved hands. She then takes my tortilla out of the warmer with her hand, plops it down on the counter and asks me what I want on it. She touched it again with her other hand to straighten it out. I froze for a few seconds because I didn't want to make a stink but at the same time I didn't want to eat a burrito covered in Purell. I eventually got words out and asked if she put sanitizer on her gloves and then handled my tortilla. She kind of shrugged, looked over her shoulder towards the dispenser and then back at me. She didn't answer the question so I gave her the answer and let her know that she in fact did put sanitizer on her gloves and then grabbed my tortilla. At this point the other woman comes over and asks what's up. I tell her what happened and she tells the other woman to change her gloves. Then she asks me what I want on my burrito. I tell her I want a new tortilla because that one has Purell on it. Apparently she didn't understand what I was saying as she stood there and looked at me. I had the thought maybe this is what they do in this store? Put sanitizer on the gloves as to extend the use of the them? I can't get the thought out of my head about the tortilla tasting like sanitizer so I say just cancel the order and I walk out burritoless.

Did I overreact to the girl putting sanitizer on her gloves? Is this the way people do it now? Was there a change in glove/sanitizer protocols during the pandemic and I just missed it? Would you eat something if you saw someone handle your food wearing gloves covered in sanitizer? Keep in mind she would have had to eventually roll the burrito. I had a similar experience a few years back and started a thread about it where the guy grabbed the trash can and then touched my burrito but I can't find it. Thanks guys. I look forward to reading the comments.
Tldr... Sorry you had to go thru that

The rest of the story would have been about why I stopped there for food. It's been two weeks since my second vax shot and had plans to hang out with friends for food and drink yesterday but those plans got cancelled because of a work emergency. I had eaten light because we had those plans to go out to eat so I was starving by the time I stopped at chipotle. I hadn't been to chipotle in a long time either so stopping there seemed ideal. Also, I almost got clipped making a right turn by a speeding pick-up who blew through a light right before I got there. It wasn't relevant to the story so I decided to leave that part out. There was also a chapter after I got home where told the Mrs what happened and she thought maybe the sanitizer wasn't sanitizer but a "water-based" solution to clean the gloves. After pressing her on what exactly this water-based solution was she wouldn't rule out that it was simply water. I told her there was a sink right next to the dispenser so it wouldn't make a ton of sense to put a water dispenser right next to an actual water dispenser, aka a faucet. She had no answer and just shrugged. I told her maybe she should apply to work at the chipotle because she would fit right in. I ended up eating a frozen pizza alone.
only thing to make this even better was to somehow tie in everything to your latest cornhole match.

Serious answer... I would have been nice about it, but would not have accepted that burrito. I've been a germafob long before COVID and it never ceases to amaze me how little people understand about handling food. I've seen people handle money with gloves on them proceed to handle food. Use tongs that are being cross contaminated. I'm sure the worker had no idea what they were doing was totally counter-productive. 

Gotta be exhausting.
It is. But I've learned to expect it. 🤣

She's pretty awesome outside of her annoying ordering habits.  It runs in her family.  My father in law will order a philly cheese steak with no mushrooms, onions or peppers. 

Considering she is a fantastic mom/grandma and truly is my best friend I put up with some quirks. Not to mention she puts up with some of mine. 

See...I disagree.

That’s fair, maybe it’s because I like Tijuana Flats(a Florida chain) and Taco Shack(a local place here in Martin County), and prefer it to Chipotle given the choice. Everyone has their tastes.
I sometimes forget some places do not have better options 

Drunken knight said:
I sometimes forget some places do not have better options 
It's crazy how long it took NYC- arguably the culinary capital of the world, and with lots and lots of people from Mexico- to get burritos right. There was a spot in the 80s/90s called Benny's that was the first. It was sooo off, but it was the only thing in town for like 20 years. We're finally there now- every neighborhood has multiple spots that do it fine (not SF quality, but fine) and better than Chipotle. Chipotle for me is when I visit the inlaws in NoVa where there's not much else...but I still like it.

Users who are viewing this thread