What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Old Guy Here Trying To Learn Another Language. (1 Viewer)

steelerfan1

Footballguy
So for years I have always wanted to learn Spanish. I have semi committed by starting using Pimsleur. They are 30 minute lessons but I find myself having to even break those down in sessions as my mind is really struggling retaining words. A lot of times I know what to say but my mind is having this buffering much like my Spectrum internet. It works but sometimes takes a while. I guess I’m getting discouraged and looking for some success stories or maybe tips from people who had to learn another language. 
I’ve kind of resigned myself to the fact I will never be fluent, but would like to be able to travel and converse. Thanks for any tips, suggestions, etc...

Duolingo is surprisingly good for a free app, and it breaks the lessons down by subject, which makes it easier for me.
I actually started using this a few days ago to go long With Pimsleur. They are complete opposites on how they train. Pimsleur puts you right in the conversation while Duo focuses on spelling, words, etc. I’m not sure if using both is going to help or hurt me since they are so opposite of each other.

:sehorn:

my students and players are changing pretty quickly and I would like to be able to converse with them in their native language. Would be interested to see the best program. 

so, my wife and myself decided to learn italian several years ago.  the apps and online programs just didn’t do it for us.  we decided to hire a native speaking tutor, once a week to come to our house for 2 hours.  after 6 months, we moved onto an american fluent in the language that could answer questions only americans would ask.  they helped us study and buy the right books.  i’d invest and go that route.  also, we liked the dummies books, they helped supplement.  flash cards are good too.  we did it for 2 years and can be considered upper intermediate now.

¿Qué pasa

My wife and I started the Spanish Rosetta Stone disc course when we quarantined. It's fun and almost like playing a video game. You don't really feel like you're studying and it sinks in.

Have you tried your local community college/university classes? The best way for me is to go in class in person and that really holds you accountable. Also, everyone just starting is at the same level as you so chances are very high that they're making the same mistakes or have the same questions. 

Kal El said:
Duolingo is surprisingly good for a free app, and it breaks the lessons down by subject, which makes it easier for me.
I second Duolingo. I’m able to retain much better as it teaches Spanish kind of like how I was taught English. 

I second Duolingo. I’m able to retain much better as it teaches Spanish kind of like how I was taught English. 
Third. I lived in Panama for a year at age 9-10. Young enough to catch on very fast, and classes in the Canal Zone were taught in both languages (for every student). Then 4 years in hs, life in SoCal often hiring migrants, etc. Then a decade of nothing. My Spanish went from conversational enough but sadly flawed to fluent during isolation. Thank you Duolingo. My brother who spent a career in restaurant mngt in SoCal also speaks some Spanish from classes and spending so much time in those kitchens. He always challenged me a little as to who spoke better Spanish. I just had a 5 minute conversation with his gardener. Didn't miss a beat, and big bro could not keep up. Duolingo is a great app. 

I’m using duolingo to learn Irish for reasons known only to me, but I’ve done a few Spanish lessons as well, and it’s working well for me.

Seems like the best way to learn is to visit a Central or South American country and hook up with a local who will help you learn the language.  At least that’s my gameplan for retirement.  Mrs APK isn’t on board (yet) but there is still time.

Chemical X said:
so, my wife and myself decided to learn italian several years ago.  the apps and online programs just didn’t do it for us.  we decided to hire a native speaking tutor, once a week to come to our house for 2 hours.  after 6 months, we moved onto an american fluent in the language that could answer questions only americans would ask.  they helped us study and buy the right books.  i’d invest and go that route.  also, we liked the dummies books, they helped supplement.  flash cards are good too.  we did it for 2 years and can be considered upper intermediate now.
Thanks X, I think the tutor route is a bit more than I'm willing to go right now, but agree something like that is probably the best option. Just not sure I can shell that out at this point.

¿Qué pasa

My wife and I started the Spanish Rosetta Stone disc course when we quarantined. It's fun and almost like playing a video game. You don't really feel like you're studying and it sinks in.
Thanks JM, will look at this as well.

Well DM, this is good. Can I ask how long it took you to be comfortable with English?

Third. I lived in Panama for a year at age 9-10. Young enough to catch on very fast, and classes in the Canal Zone were taught in both languages (for every student). Then 4 years in hs, life in SoCal often hiring migrants, etc. Then a decade of nothing. My Spanish went from conversational enough but sadly flawed to fluent during isolation. Thank you Duolingo. My brother who spent a career in restaurant mngt in SoCal also speaks some Spanish from classes and spending so much time in those kitchens. He always challenged me a little as to who spoke better Spanish. I just had a 5 minute conversation with his gardener. Didn't miss a beat, and big bro could not keep up. Duolingo is a great app. 
Thanks CC, Well, I'm going to focus on this app for now I think. I see it also has a plus version that eliminates the commercials and need to accumulate hearts to go further if you screw up too many times.

I’m using duolingo to learn Irish for reasons known only to me, but I’ve done a few Spanish lessons as well, and it’s working well for me.
Thanks!

We should get a FBG Duolingo group going I’ve been slacking for months.
I think I'd be in on this.

Seems like the best way to learn is to visit a Central or South American country and hook up with a local who will help you learn the language.  At least that’s my gameplan for retirement.  Mrs APK isn’t on board (yet) but there is still time.
Half joking APK, but this is kind of what I'm thinking and why I started. icon's trip to CR got me thinking about other possible destinations to make our money go further in retirement.

You need to use it regularly.  I learn quickly. I unlearn it, just as fast, if I don’t use it. 
Important point. Thanks DA.

Have you tried your local community college/university classes? The best way for me is to go in class in person and that really holds you accountable. Also, everyone just starting is at the same level as you so chances are very high that they're making the same mistakes or have the same questions. 
Sorry I missed you Zavala, I checked my local school and it looks like they only have a online course which to me is probably no better than the apps I’m using. A friend I know said she’s learned more so far with Duolingo than she did in high school, so I’m going to continue on this duo path for a bit and see if it sinks in.

gonna bump this to see if anyone has learned german and if you have any tips.  

me and mrs x are prepping to take the italian CILS A2 test in december, which will help us after we relocate to italy.  

if anyone is interested in italian and has questions, i feel qualified enough from an american point of view to be able to help.

maybe make this an active thread for language learners…..ciao

me and mrs x are prepping to take the italian CILS A2 test in december, which will help us after we relocate to italy.  

if anyone is interested in italian and has questions, i feel qualified enough from an american point of view to be able to help.

My husband is using Duolingo for German. He’s loving it. He’s a programmer and has studied Russian and Latin in college so it’s kind of how his brain works. 

I use Duolingo for Spanish. My daughters boyfriend is Argentinian so I get to practice with him a lot. I love that format. And I really liked the Spanish language podcasts they have. I hope they make more. 

Chemical X said:

IIRC, Deutsche Welt has a podcast series, (4 series x 25 episodes @ 10-15 mintes a pop) that was a little cheesy but did a pretty good job 

Chemical X said:

Ich bin Auslander und ich spreche nicht gut Deutsch.

I took it in HS, went on the class trip to Germany and had one class of it in college. It's hard to stick if you aren't using with other people (I guess like most languages). 

UK based here, so your mileage may vary. Did Spanish for five years at high school, German for three. Touched on Spanish basically never after exams but occasionally used German through watching some TV and then often going there to watch soccer, so retained enough. Spanish, not so much, I did better at it when learning, but was clueless after a long break (that the first time I went to Spain was Barcelona where half of it is Catalan didn't help). Once you learn, KEEP USING IT. Something like Duolingo here is a huge help, I went through their whole course a few years back, mostly helped with depth of vocabulary while most of the grammar I recalled from learning the first time (and nobody really cares if you say einen beer as opposed to ein beer anyway)

The one thing I would say is to find stuff you know/like in your native language, and then read/listen/watch in the foreign language, subtitled if needed. It really does help. Plenty of people learning the other way around that I know have pointed out that the masses of English language media available helped them, in 2021 it now works the other way. I'm sure there's an (American) football equivalent of Kicker, 11 Freunde etc that I read

Took 4 years of Spanish in high school. Didn't pass a single class. They told me I needed it for college and to make money. Ha! I'm a DBA and do just fine. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW COUNSELOR JONES???
I took three years of high school French and three semesters in college.  Do I speak French?  I do not.  I also lived in Germany for five years and took that.  DIdn't learn doodly.  I can learn vocabulary easily enough, but I just have no skill for the conversational stuff.

And there is no "best" method.  DIfferent teaching methods work for different people.

I'm jealous of those of you who get to learn a language that's actually useful.  My wife is originally from Poland, so I'm trying to learn Polish.  Not only is it hard AF to learn (supposedly only Mandarin Chinese is harder), but it also has zero practical application outside of speaking with her family.

Not if you're trying to learn German.

I'm jealous of those of you who get to learn a language that's actually useful.  My wife is originally from Poland, so I'm trying to learn Polish.  Not only is it hard AF to learn (supposedly only Mandarin Chinese is harder), but it also has zero practical application outside of speaking with her family.
what are those e euro languages based on?  they aren’t latin based…..  is polish close to romanian, croat, etc?

what are those e euro languages based on?  they aren’t latin based…..  is polish close to romanian, croat, etc?
Definitely not Latin-based.  It's considered a Slavic language like Russian, Czech, etc.  Incredibly hard to learn.

The example I always use.  In English, "two" is "two."  Two boats, two cars, two hours, two o'clock, etc.  In Polish, the number two is "dwa." Children is "dzieci."  But when you say "two children," it's "dwoje dzieci."   :loco:

Users who are viewing this thread