What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Run 100 mph or Fly 20 mph? (1 Viewer)

Flying for sure.  The things i could do running really fast, I can already do with a car.  It would be handy to be able to go fast without a car but unless I can carry a few people with me or some stuff, how is that even useful?  You can get around traffic? 

Flying, though, I can do things I just can't do with a car.  Flying directly to places is much more direct than running because you don't need roads or bridges. If someone is chasing me in a car they can go 100 but they can't go up. Being able to paint my own house or fix my own roof without ladders and scaffolding would be nice.  Not to mention skydiving without a parachute or being able to literally pick up women.  So many things you could do and see.  

Flying for sure.  The things i could do running really fast, I can already do with a car.  It would be handy to be able to go fast without a car but unless I can carry a few people with me or some stuff, how is that even useful?  You can get around traffic? 

Flying, though, I can do things I just can't do with a car.  Flying directly to places is much more direct than running because you don't need roads or bridges. If someone is chasing me in a car they can go 100 but they can't go up. Being able to paint my own house or fix my own roof without ladders and scaffolding would be nice.  Not to mention skydiving without a parachute or being able to literally pick up women.  So many things you could do and see.  
Great answer. Has A-Train on S1E1 of "The Boys" taught us nothing?  Running really fast has its disadvantages too. Flying for the win.

One other advantage to flying is that even if you're limited to 20 MPH, you get the fun of changing altitudes, which again, if it's anything like what I experienced in my dreams, makes loss of MPH worth the while.

Flight, and it shouldn’t be close. The simple ability of being able to avoid traffic forever makes this worth it. Since I’m assuming this doesn’t come with super strength, the speed is irrelevant, since it’ll only be me up there, ergo it’s best for shorter distances. 

Assuming you get all the same abilities that other super heros have when moving that fast I would pick running. Seriously 20mph flying would suck. You would watch some bicycles pass you. 
I was just coming in to say I'd still pick flying even if it was at walking speed...2mph.

Assuming you get all the same abilities that other super heros have when moving that fast I would pick running. Seriously 20mph flying would suck. You would watch some bicycles pass you. 
Considering possible route restrictions, due to any number of factors. I think I'd still opt to fly.

Bank robbers would choose running for the quickest getaway. Peeping Toms might like flying past open windows better.

Running 100 mph easily. I'd enter every Olympics and win every Gold medal in track and field. I'd lap Usain Bolt before he even has time to blink. Endorsement money would be big. 

flying - the running and get endorsements crowd is onto something but being a flying human would also have a ton of endorsement potential;
The catch phrase writes itself. What is that in the air? It is slo-mo. Faster than a slow moving toddler unable to keep up with most track and field runners. Here to save the day... Slowly. 

how high can i get?  do i need to register as a craft?  do i need to file flight plans?
My guess would be as high as you can still get enough oxygen to breathe. As for the next 2 questions, I doubt it, especially if you stay under radar level.

The catch phrase writes itself. What is that in the air? It is slo-mo. Faster than a slow moving toddler unable to keep up with most track and field runners. Here to save the day... Slowly. 
20 mph is still pretty fast. Not car fast, but faster than people are able to sustain a constant speed at for very long. Fastest NFL player was 23 mph last year and that's being hit for a brief period of time in a dead sprint. I guess that is an important question: how tiring are these traits and how long could we keep these speeds up before we are exhausted? 

Flying at 20 mph would be awesome even if hundreds of other people could do it.  If hundreds of people can run 100 mph, you're nothing special unless you can go just a little faster than everyone else.

On the other hand, I would think it's easier to ban flying in sports than running really fast.  

Dungeons and Dragons provides a form of an answer. Magic spells in D&D allow for fast movement (double speed) or slow flying (10 feet per sec). Not exactly the scenario in this question, but close. Since they are both 3rd level spells, it’s a tie. (I’d rather fly. There is very little traffic in D&D worlds)

Running 100 mph easily. I'd enter every Olympics and win every Gold medal in track and field. I'd lap Usain Bolt before he even has time to blink. Endorsement money would be big. 
Seems like both abilities would be lucrative but running would guarantee you could retire from working and just do that.  Flying would be cool if I could monetize it as much.

Fixed.  With my flying ability, I'd smoke you in all the field events.

Believe it or not, I'm walkin' on air

I never thought I could feel so free

Flyin' away on a wing and a prayer

Who could it be?

Believe it or not it's just me.

I’m not an entrepreneur, but I’m pretty sure I could find ways to monetize being the only person in the world who can fly. Endorsements alone should give a really comfortable life.

I think the bigger issue would probably be that 20 MPH is definitely slow enough to make you a target for people just being jerks. And either ability would make you a target from a lot of groups (scientists, criminals, etc).

Am I the only one who can do either, or does this become normal? 

On one side, if I'm the only person who can fly, I don't want that unless I'm invisible too. The unwanted attention would make this miserable. But being the only person who can run 100mph, I'd do that especially if I can control it. Just go like 16mph in a marathon. Also, how much energy does it take? Do I crash after a couple minutes?  Although, being able to fly with nobody knowing would probably make me a great stunt double or acrobat 🤔

But if everyone is running 100mph, things are gonna get messy. If everyone can fly, we'd have to get flight patterns for local travel, while we'd still be better in a vehicle for long trips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the running ability come with more endurance? How long can I maintain 100 mph for?  Or am I tiring out faster because I'm moving faster (and thus working harder to run 100 mph)? 

Am I permitted to play professional sports? If so, I'll take the minority option and be phenomenal at the major sports. I don't think it would be more advantageous to fly in baseball or hockey. I could see an argument for football and basketball.  

Last edited by a moderator:
fly.....you would have a free ticket to every sporting event, concert, etc. that's not indoors.....watch the Masters live every year for free....you could literally go places nobody has ever gone before....mountains, jungles....

you could pull banners behind you and make a few extra bucks

fly.....you would have a free ticket to every sporting event, concert, etc. that's not indoors.....watch the Masters live every year for free....you could literally go places nobody has ever gone before....mountains, jungles....

you could pull banners behind you and make a few extra bucks
If someone just started appearing above sporting events and/or flying around with banners, the CIA and defense department would promptly catch you to find out your secret.

Here's an angle - is it flying 20 mph AIR SPEED or 20 mph GROUND SPEED?  If it's AIR SPEED, I'll just fly up to the jetstream and I'd be well over 100 mph ground speed - at least for one leg of my journey to wherever.

Flight, and it shouldn’t be close. The simple ability of being able to avoid traffic forever makes this worth it. Since I’m assuming this doesn’t come with super strength, the speed is irrelevant, since it’ll only be me up there, ergo it’s best for shorter distances. 
Your survival chances are pretty low if you think you are going to be the only object in the sky. 

Users who are viewing this thread