What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stumbled upon a beat down. WWYD? (1 Viewer)

Caveman33

Footballguy
I was walking along a busy street around noon today when a small car stopped 30 feet in front of me blocking the sidewalk at the exit of a gas station.  Cars were backed up by a light on the road leaving the small car with no entry.  Suddenly a woman runs up to the open driver's side window and starts throwing left handed haymakers at the female driver.   I'm now 15 feet away and parked cars in traffic are honking.  Then a muscular dude runs up to the passenger's side and starts dropping bombs on what I assume was a male over there.  I'm within  5 feet of the scrappy female doing work on the driver, no one else is around, just honking from the cars.  WWYD?

If it was just female-on-female, then maybe you could have intervened. But with the dude, involved, there was nothing you could do. If you had stepped in, then it would have been 2-on-1 before you could say "What have I done?"

This is almost certainly entirely unrelated but I just had a thought while smoking...the small car was white and ratty, very similar in appearance to a small ratty white car that honked at me while I was on my bicycle.  It was a female hispanic driver with a male riding shotgun, just like today.  The bicycle incident was 2 months ago and 2 miles away, but I remember being in a sour mood so I escalated the situation a bit and tried to catch them on a hill at a red light but fortunately it turned green before I completed the climb.  Interesting, I know statistically it shouldn't have been the same couple, but could it have been?

Call 911 and stay out of it.  In a scenario like that, I am not getting involved to where one of those whack jobs turns their rage on me. I don't need that crap. 

Call 911 and stay out of it.  In a scenario like that, I am not getting involved to where one of those whack jobs turns their rage on me. I don't need that crap. 
I hear you.  I also have a busted right hand.  I re-injured the 5th metacarpal and it hasn't healed enough after 2 months to allow me to make a fist.

I was walking along a busy street around noon today when a small car stopped 30 feet in front of me blocking the sidewalk at the exit of a gas station.  Cars were backed up by a light on the road leaving the small car with no entry.  Suddenly a woman runs up to the open driver's side window and starts throwing left handed haymakers at the female driver.   I'm now 15 feet away and parked cars in traffic are honking.  Then a muscular dude runs up to the passenger's side and starts dropping bombs on what I assume was a male over there.  I'm within  5 feet of the scrappy female doing work on the driver, no one else is around, just honking from the cars.  WWYD?
i came upon a male on male fight pre-covid. One dude had the other guy on the ground pummeling him from full mount. I went to go over and take the guy on top off saying it was over and to take it easy, then the dude on the bottom called the guy the N-word as he was getting off of him, so i just looked at the dude, and said "have at him". 

Always weird walking up mid-fight to an event

WR: this was like 11 or so at night outside of a bar, so definitely different parameters too

Last edited by a moderator:
i came upon a male on male fight pre-covid. One dude had the other guy on the ground pummeling him from full mount. I went to go over and take the guy on top off saying it was over and to take it easy, then the dude on the bottom called the guy the N-word as he was getting off of him, so i just looked at the dude, and said "have at him". 

Right.  You have to make some quick assessments.  That's why my first question to the muscular dude was, "Did they steal something?"  Cause if that was the case, then I say beat on.  In your case, maybe the N word deserves a beat down.  I think that is the common answer today but I feel it is situational.

Right.  You have to make some quick assessments.  That's why my first question to the muscular dude was, "Did they steal something?"  Cause if that was the case, then I say beat on.  In your case, maybe the N word deserves a beat down.  I think that is the common answer today but I feel it is situational.
i had another encounter years back (making me wonder now how i stumble into a few of these incidents, but anyway..) where it wasn't physical yet, but it was just about to get there. was a dude and his girl, and he was about to punch her. i went to call him out and ask him what the F he was doing, then the chick starts to yell at me and tell me to mind my own business. 

I said cool, and turned away with both of them yelling in my direction. was outside of a grocery store, so i just figured whatever, but have considered as i get older to maybe mind my own business even if there seems to be an obvious wrong going on. 

So i guess long story short, i don't know the answer to your original question either  :shrug:

i had another encounter years back (making me wonder now how i stumble into a few of these incidents, but anyway..) where it wasn't physical yet, but it was just about to get there. was a dude and his girl, and he was about to punch her. i went to call him out and ask him what the F he was doing, then the chick starts to yell at me and tell me to mind my own business. 

I said cool, and turned away with both of them yelling in my direction. was outside of a grocery store, so i just figured whatever, but have considered as i get older to maybe mind my own business even if there seems to be an obvious wrong going on. 

So i guess long story short, i don't know the answer to your original question either  :shrug:
I've read stories just like yours that ended tragically for you in the newspaper.  Domestic relationships are so volatile, I've always been leery about interacting but I think I've only ever come upon minor tiffs. 

I had a friend that saw a beat down in progress and pulled over to record the license plate of the attacker.  Stupidly, she got out of her car to do this.  The attacker then came after her, punched her in the face, giving her a concussion, then took her phone and threw it off the overpass they were on. 

Don't get out of your car...

I'm with the 911 crowd. Chances are you don't know for sure if these people have friends nearby or if any of the participants and/or friends has a weapon or is just crazy.

Add: don't call attention to yourself by doing something like yelling, "I'm calling 911!"

Years ago I was with a buddy and we were leaving a Mexican food restaurant downtown. As we were walking down the street there were two dudes fighting on a side street. One dude was definitely getting the best of the other and my buddy went over there to try to play peacemaker before I could stop him. The dude who was getting his ### kicked sucker punched my friend as he was trying to break it up, knocking him out immediately, he fell back out like a light and slammed the back of his head on the ground which happened to be a manhole cover. My friend was out for a couple days in the hospital, when he woke up he had lost his sense of smell and taste. He never regained either to this day.  

I saw a 6'3", 250 lb muscle guy utterly jack a 5'5" woman one fine night in Adams Morgan, D.C. I went to go intervene lest he kill her but my girlfriend grabbed my sweater and shirt and would not let go. I was like running, dragging her. His friends intervened. I will never forget the punch he threw. It was lights out. I am so lucky he didn't see me.

I hope he got jail time.

I'm average size with zero adult fighting experience.  Against someone who is willing to administer a public beat down, I don't like my chances if they turn on me. Chances are, I'm not stumbling onto this guy's first fight. These type of people don't have personal liability policies. They don't have 401ks. They have nothing to lose. 

So yeah, I'm keeping my distance and calling 911. If I'm in my car,  I guess I'd honk my horn or something to see if the guy stops. 

Would I feel guilty if I "did nothing" (in terms of direct intervention) and the victim got seriously hurt? Of course. But I'll take that over some lunatic bouncing my head off the pavement and turning me into a vegetable or a quadriplegic.

I'm average size with zero adult fighting experience.  Against someone who is willing to administer a public beat down, I don't like my chances if they turn on me. Chances are, I'm not stumbling onto this guy's first fight. These type of people don't have personal liability policies. They don't have 401ks. They have nothing to lose. 

So yeah, I'm keeping my distance and calling 911. If I'm in my car,  I guess I'd honk my horn or something to see if the guy stops. 

Would I feel guilty if I "did nothing" (in terms of direct intervention) and the victim got seriously hurt? Of course. But I'll take that over some lunatic bouncing my head off the pavement and turning me into a vegetable or a quadriplegic.
All good points, and the sad stories shared of friends who intervened and got wrecked make your choice correct.

I did not touch the female assailant for all of the stated reasons.  Even if the muscular dude had not appeared, I probably would not have physically intervened at the start.  I did tell the scrappy woman to stop when I got close.  She unloaded a couple more punches and then stopped and took a few steps back towards me.  This gave the driver a chance to squirt out into traffic, terminating the non consensual facial massage her boyfriend was receiving.  I immediately asked muscular dude, "Did they steal something?"  He never looked at me, still with his eyes locked on the small car, he replied, "Nah.  They followed us off the highway and threw some #### at us."

"Oh?  This is a road rage situation?  Sometimes, it's better to let those things go, " I instructed, while doing that downward hand motion.  Muscular dude paid no attention; he was too busy staring over my shoulder, throwing up gang signs.  So I continued walking down the road.  Within a couple blocks, I heard commotion and looked up to see the small ratty white car ripping through traffic, going the opposite way on University now.  A short distance behind, the muscular dude was hunched over the steering wheel of a small ratty gold car.  C'est la vie.

I had a friend that saw a beat down in progress and pulled over to record the license plate of the attacker.  Stupidly, she got out of her car to do this.  The attacker then came after her, punched her in the face, giving her a concussion, then took her phone and threw it off the overpass they were on. 

Don't get out of your car...

Years ago I was with a buddy and we were leaving a Mexican food restaurant downtown. As we were walking down the street there were two dudes fighting on a side street. One dude was definitely getting the best of the other and my buddy went over there to try to play peacemaker before I could stop him. The dude who was getting his ### kicked sucker punched my friend as he was trying to break it up, knocking him out immediately, he fell back out like a light and slammed the back of his head on the ground which happened to be a manhole cover. My friend was out for a couple days in the hospital, when he woke up he had lost his sense of smell and taste. He never regained either to this day.  
Damn, that's horrible for both of them.  Does anyone know someone who stepped up and came out on top?

Ten years ago, I was driving home in San Antonio.  I was preparing to merge onto I-10 from Culebra when a young adult in a white wife beater appeared on the shoulder.  He approached my car with his hands waving.  I took one look at his stature, attire and skin color and 'noped' my way back home.

Did the sucker punch dude get arrested or charges against him? 

When I was about 25 (50 now), my wife and I are at a stop light waiting to go straight. In the lane to our left is a turning lane. Guy in front is talking to his daughter, the passenger when the light turns green. Guy behind him honks his horn. Guy in front looks in mirror and raises his hands in frustration. Guy in back flips him the bird. Guy in front sticks his head out the window and says, come do that up here. Guy in back walks up to his door and flips him the bird in person. It gets pretty heated at this point and I start to get out of my car to try and break it up. I don’t even get all the way out of the car and decide I better sit this one out. The daughter of the guy up front was begging her dad to just go. In the end no punches were thrown, but a lot of finger pointing and threats. 

No way I'd intervene in that situation other than calling 911.  I'd like to think I'd step in if someone were getting beaten to death, but... time for some Bosstones:

I'm not a coward, I've just never been tested
I'd like to think that if I was I would pass
Look at the tested, and think "There but for the grace go I"
Might be a coward, I'm afraid of what I might find out

Oops?  But you did just say "don't get out of your car", based on your friend's experience.  To be fair, I probably would have acted differently if it was a damsel in distress, instead of a 6' black dude who looked like he could beat me up with 1 hand.
Dude.

WR: this was like 11 or so at night outside of a bar, so definitely different parameters too
I probably would've asked the guy if I could join him too. Got zero issue with the guy giving a beating then. 

Record on your phone and put it up on your socials and go viral. 

Seriously if it was a man going after a women I'd have jumped in but in that situation I'd call 911. If you jump in you better either be packing or have a bat or something for protection. Never know with some of these road nuts. 

My Coworker's ex use to beat her. They got into an argument at the store a few times. One day it got physical. Myself and another co worker tackled the guy and another called the cops. Obviously it was 2 of us so we didn't have issues (he was also a biker the ex)  but we also knew the situation too. 

I had during covid a women wanting to walk by and these two big women wouldn't let her by. So she politely moved their cart and the two big women went ape sh** on her. I thought it was over when the victim walked to the Deli counter but they followed her there and calling her out. I had seen these two other women before and not very nice. Low life types white girls who talked like they were from the hood. Someone called my manager and co manager but the two women walked away and into a line. My one manager and I calmed the women down and apologized to here. He even let her have her stuff for free as it was only a few things. I told both my managers there's been issues with those two women before. 

I saw the two women about 2 months ago bullying another customer and Called the cops. Was honestly sick of these two at this point. Then I called my manager on duty over told him the situation and said I already called the cops. He just looked at me with the WTF did you just do again? I told him I was sick of no one doing anything about these women continuing to bully our other customers. 

I could probably share numerous grocery store incidents over the yrs I've had. 

I've had some self defense kickboxing, MMA training to feel comfortable if it had to get physical for me I could handle it but I'm not gonna be the guy egging to start the physicality. I'm an avg size guy with very little muscle but quick so if some dude comes out looking he's Juiced up I'm thinking better of getting involved 

Oops?  But you did just say "don't get out of your car", based on your friend's experience.  To be fair, I probably would have acted differently if it was a damsel in distress, instead of a 6' black dude who looked like he could beat me up with 1 hand.
Um you might want to rephrase that here before someone takes this in a completely different direction. Thats all I'm gonna say here. 

Um you might want to rephrase that here before someone takes this in a completely different direction. Thats all I'm gonna say here. 
Ehh, it is how I remember appraising the situation.  I took note of his size and attire first but can't deny that skin color may have impacted my decision to merge onto the highway rather than stop.  This dude also randomly appeared out of the night, there was no broken down car nearby or reasonable explanation that I saw for why he was trying to flag me down.

Ehh, it is how I remember appraising the situation.  I took note of his size and attire first but can't deny that skin color may have impacted my decision to merge onto the highway rather than stop.  This dude also randomly appeared out of the night, there was no broken down car nearby or reasonable explanation that I saw for why he was trying to flag me down.
Your time here may be short. May be a learning moment for you. Seize it.

Users who are viewing this thread