What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How to tell casual golfing friend that they are slow (1 Viewer)

Didn't think so at all.  Really sensitive guy.  The ranger pulls up while we are on the tee and told us the truth... we were behind the pace and we needed to play faster.

He did. We did.

No feelings hurt, mission accomplished.  :shrug:
Some guys don't even realize they're doing it.  I'm sure a member of the group could have accomplished the same thing.  But, I can see going that route if you think the guy would get his feelings hurt. 

At a glance, I thought the subject of the thread was "How to tell casual girl friend that they are taking things slow". Glad I noticed because my suggestion might have been a little inappropriate for the golf course. 

Last edited by a moderator:
the OP kind of indicated this wasn't really an option and the reason for the thread in the first place....

don't think he is looking for a bunch of people to come out and say suck it up buttercup and just tell it to him straight...he is looking for other options....
Lol. Fair enough. I’m as subtle as a battleship. 

Its in the 30-40 second range with his putting routine.  There are pauses, practice strokes, just general weirdness on every putt
Yes, that is long and probably on the order of what this guy was doing.  The 20 seconds I referred to was literally the length of the pause from setting up over the ball to actually swinging his putter, all of it without moving at all.  It was actually kind of uncomfortable because you're thinking "is he okay?  did he have a stroke?  why is he not doing anything?"

At a glance, I thought the subject of the thread was "How to tell casual girl friend that they are taking things slow". Glad I noticed because my suggestion might have been a little inappropriate for the golf course. 
Or it could have been legendary. The world will never know. 

the OP kind of indicated this wasn't really an option and the reason for the thread in the first place....

don't think he is looking for a bunch of people to come out and say suck it up buttercup and just tell it to him straight...he is looking for other options....
You can be direct without being mean about it.

Just because he's asking for advice since he doesn't know the guy well doesn't mean that being direct isn't still the best advice.

That was a horrible sentence.

Being direct is still the best advise whether you know the guy well or not.

Anyone know how to tell 3 women that they golf and walk WAAAAAAY too slow? It would help me out right about now.....

Maybe the guy just likes being out there and enjoying the day.

I know when I golf I get to enjoy 4-5 hours of just being a guy. I don't have to be a husband, I don't have to be a father....I just get to do what I want for those glorious hours. I can drink a beer and play golf and talk smart with my buddies and have a good time.

I guess I just don't get the obsession with rushing through a round of golf. I mean, I understand it's frustrating when guys play slow, but anymore a lot of golfers play slow for whatever reason. It's just part of golfing these days, especially with a flood of new golfers out there.
unfortunately, very few golfers take the "right lane" when they're out for ####### "Sunday drive"

paying your green fees shouldn't give someone the right to hold up the entire golf course because they don't want to go home

So it's just the putting? 
The putting is by far the worst but no its not limited to that.  He's pretty deliberate on every shot, does not understand the concept of ready.

I think I notice it less when on the fairway because I'll get to my ball hit and just move forward, where as on the putting green I'm stuck there watching.

The putting is by far the worst but no its not limited to that.  He's pretty deliberate on every shot, does not understand the concept of ready.

I think I notice it less when on the fairway because I'll get to my ball hit and just move forward, where as on the putting green I'm stuck there watching.
Makes sense. He probably is slow in all facets and is one of those golfers who isn't ever actually thinking about his shot until it is his turn. Reminds of how there is always that one drafter in a fantasy draft who isn't even looking at the main draft board or his draft board until it is his turn. Drives me nuts. 

It's tough that you don't know him all that well. I don't have a ton of suggestions other than to say that you need to either try to address it or play with another group if it's that bad.

I’m one of the guys you described where it’s my time to get away from responsibility. However, I also just play fast and play better when the pace of play is faster. 

Waiting sucks. I haven’t done the math but I guarantee my net results are worse with a couple minute wait on each shot. 
Absolutely

Isn't that what the 19th hole is for?
My guess is that there are a lot of husbands that can justify it (either to themselves or their wives) as time spend "playing golf" (even if they're taking an absurdly long time due to extra circulars or just generally slow play)  but not if its time spent drinking at the bar.
Time spent doesn't actually have to be at the bar.  It just doesn't have to be going home immediately after the round.

Reminds of how there is always that one drafter in a fantasy draft who isn't even looking at the main draft board or his draft board until it is his turn. Drives me nuts. 
Or the person who doesn't look at the menu board until he gets to the order counter.  Makes me all stabby.

Users who are viewing this thread