What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 (now 2021) Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Closing ceremonies 8/8 | USA finishes with most gold, silver, bronze AND overall medals (1 Viewer)

Nathan R. Jessep

Footballguy
Didn't see an Olympics thread yet. Was reading yesterday on the Your Local Epidemiologist's blog about the upcoming games, and well, things seem a tad unsettled to say the least, thanks to COVID. Should be interesting to see how this unfolds in the coming weeks. 

Here are the high points:

• Japan is currently in the midst of their 4th wave of the pandemic, including shutdowns which started on April 25, and has now been extended until June 20
  • over 90% of cases in Japan are variants of concern, including B.1.1.7 (first detected in U.K.) and B.1.617 (first detected in India). While these are not more deadly, they are more transmissible
  • only 7.73% of Japan has had at least one dose of the vaccine
  • The International Olympic Committee (IOC) stated that at least 80% of people staying in the Olympic village will have been vaccinated... basically the data behind that number is in question for several reasons (age, countries of residence, vaccine resistance etc. of the athletes who will be in attendance)
  • If the games were to be canceled, it would cost Japan an estimated 1.81 trillion yen ($17 billion US dollars)
  • In recent national polls, 60-80% of Japanese residents don’t agree that the Olympics should go on, worried that it would cause a 5th surge
  • Safety concerns for athletes and staff: there is major concern around testing plans, contact tracing plans, transmission within non-competition spaces, and transmission within certain high-risk competition spaces
  • On the social media version of her post of this, there were several Japanese citizens voicing their concerns based on what they are seeing on the ground in Japan (Tokyo in particular), where many health clinics are completely closed, and they are having a hard time getting tested (like, you have to meet some sort of ludicrous criteria to even get tested) and are worried about finding available healthcare should they become sick

MEDAL COUNT: https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/medal-count-tokyo-2021-olympics/

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS: https://www.nbcolympics.com/full-schedule

OLYMPICS PLAYBOOKS: https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/en/games/tokyo-2020-playbooks/

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's one thing we've learned about the Olympics, is that they are as corrupt and morally bankrupt as FIFA.  If there's a sliver of a chance of getting these games in, they will do it.  The world elites need their cocktail parties.

Is the current plan that they would have spectators at all events?  If so, seems like having the events, but no live spectators would be one potential compromise solution.

Is the current plan that they would have spectators at all events?  If so, seems like having the events, but no live spectators would be one potential compromise solution.
International spectators are not allowed to attend, but locals are.

But even not counting spectators, they're still looking at 20K+ people (athletes, staff, media, etc.) from all over the world that would be on site.

The Iowa State Fair is going on this year in August without restrictions.   Typically 1 million people attend over a ten day span.

I think if they were going to be cancelled they would have done so by now. However, people in Japan are MAD. 

arrow1 said:
The Iowa State Fair is going on this year in August without restrictions.   Typically 1 million people attend over a ten day span.
:shock:  It's all outdoors (I assume, except maybe an exhibit hall type thing if you have that) and our vaccination rate is over 50% for adults with at least one dose, but still...that's a lot of people coming together. You going? 

So strange how here in Southwest Missouri, we are basically acting like the pandemic is over. 

Our infection rates and deaths are quite low but just feels odd and has been a bit abrupt with the expiration of mask mandates and public gathering restrictions over the last month.  Here it is basically back to business as usual.

The fact that so much of the world is still reeling in many ways should lead to more caution, but the conservative nature of my area barely allowed any restrictions at all in the first place.

:shock:  It's all outdoors (I assume, except maybe an exhibit hall type thing if you have that) and our vaccination rate is over 50% for adults with at least one dose, but still...that's a lot of people coming together. You going? 
Mostly outdoors, yes.  No, not going...not because of Covid, don't like people.

So strange how here in Southwest Missouri, we are basically acting like the pandemic is over. 

Our infection rates and deaths are quite low but just feels odd and has been a bit abrupt with the expiration of mask mandates and public gathering restrictions over the last month.  Here it is basically back to business as usual.

The fact that so much of the world is still reeling in many ways should lead to more caution, but the conservative nature of my area barely allowed any restrictions at all in the first place.
That's pretty much how it is in Kansas City.

Was reading a post by one of the epidemiologists I follow that were talking about the falling case numbers. Basically they analyzed the numbers today by taking out the vaccinated population, counting only the unvaccinated population. The rates were essentially the same as they were in the summer and fall before we had previous surges. They're hopeful that the vaccinated population can help to lower the spread rate, but with as many susceptible vectors that are still out there (looking at you Louisiana with your 35% vaccination :wall: ) there is still plenty of room  for another surge.  

Tokyo Olympics 2021: 10,000 volunteers drop out of participating in Games, likely due to COVID-19, per report

With just 50 days remaining until the Tokyo Olympics begin, an estimated 10,000 unpaid volunteers told organizers that they will no longer be participating in the Summer Games. According to a report from the Associated Press on Wednesday, organizers believe that many dropped out due to fears of contracting COVID-19.

Despite the loss of volunteers, organizers don't expect the dropouts to affect the operations of the Summer Games.
IDK how many volunteers they usually have but that seems like a large number :unsure:  

can't find a link, but also heard on the radio a day or two ago that the roads around and leading to Olympic Village were now closed, which they were taking as a sign that the games are still a GO 

can't find a link, but also heard on the radio a day or two ago that the roads around and leading to Olympic Village were now closed, which they were taking as a sign that the games are still a GO 
Yea some very high ranking Japanese official said the other day that cancelling isn’t being discussed and is not an option. 

Tokyo Olympics to allow local fans — but with strict limits

The high points:

• Organizers set a limit of 50% capacity — up to a maximum of 10,000 fans, all of whom must be Japanese residents — for each Olympic venue, regardless of whether it is indoors or outdoors. Officials said that if coronavirus cases rise again the rules could be changed and fans could still be barred all together. Spectators from abroad were banned several months ago, and now some local fans who have tickets will be forced to give them up.
  • The country’s top medical adviser, Dr. Shigeru Omi, recommended last week that the safest way to hold the Olympics would be without fans. Allowing fans presents a risk not just at the venues but will also lead to more circulation on commuter trains, in restaurants and other public spaces.
  • Although a maximum of 10,000 fans will be allowed in any given venue, so-called stakeholders — including sponsors and sporting federation officials — will not be counted toward that total
  • Officials say local fans will be under strict rules. They will not be allowed to cheer, must wear masks, and are being told to go straight home afterward. :unsure:  
  • He said 3.64 million tickets were already in the hands of Japanese residents. He indicated that was about 900,000 more than the seats likely to be available. That will mean a lottery to see who can attend.
  • The decision comes just as Tokyo has emerged from a state of emergency as the curve of new cases has flattened. The seven-day average for new infections in the city is about 400 daily.

:blackdot:   I've been watching the Olympics channel nearly non-stop to see the qualifying for this.  Apologies to the local Japanese folks who (understandably) don't want this to happen, but let's get it on.  The Olympics are the biennal highlight of my life.  :bag:

:blackdot:   I've been watching the Olympics channel nearly non-stop to see the qualifying for this.  Apologies to the local Japanese folks who (understandably) don't want this to happen, but let's get it on.  The Olympics are the biennal highlight of my life.  :bag:
Yes I understand why the Japanese people don’t want it, and it’s kind of s shame it’s being thrust on them when nobody there wants it - hopefully it doesn’t become a healthcare nightmare. [Stephen A Smith voice] THAT SAID, it would also be sad if these athletes who spent their entire life to get this one opportunity didn’t get it. So, I’m glad they’re doing it.

The world has shown that sports can be held during this and all these people deserve the chance to bask in their deserved glory. 

Yes I understand why the Japanese people don’t want it, and it’s kind of s shame it’s being thrust on them when nobody there wants it - hopefully it doesn’t become a healthcare nightmare. [Stephen A Smith voice] THAT SAID, it would also be sad if these athletes who spent their entire life to get this one opportunity didn’t get it. So, I’m glad they’re doing it.

The world has shown that sports can be held during this and all these people deserve the chance to bask in their deserved glory. 
Yeah, even just watching the US trials, you see people who have tried for years to make their first Olympics and got there (Ronnie Baker in 100m) or those who are making history (Allyson Felix), and you want them to get that chance.  Reminds me a little, despite obvious differences, of those who missed their shot due to the 1980 boycott.

Yeah, even just watching the US trials, you see people who have tried for years to make their first Olympics and got there (Ronnie Baker in 100m) or those who are making history (Allyson Felix), and you want them to get that chance.  Reminds me a little, despite obvious differences, of those who missed their shot due to the 1980 boycott.
It’s the best part of the Olympics imo! 

That boycott was completely unfair to the athletes and really ridiculous. This is going to be great to watch and I am going to gorge on it - the Olympics are my favorite. 

It’s the best part of the Olympics imo! 

That boycott was completely unfair to the athletes and really ridiculous. This is going to be great to watch and I am going to gorge on it - the Olympics are my favorite. 
:hifive:   Right there with you.

Not Tokyo related but it is Olympics related.  My son is a sports reporter for the newspaper in Park City. The Olympic Village there is Winter game themed with ski jumps and bobsled runs. 

They decided to add something that can be used in summer. They added an Olympic height high dive. (up to 27 meters - 90 feet)

My son tweeted out

@Bfarrell727: Utah Olympic Park unveiled its new high diving platform today. Here's a dive from 27 meters up (~90 feet). https://twitter.com/Bfarrell727/status/1413564466424287232/video/1

@Bfarrell727: I cannot emphasize enough how much higher this looks in person.

@Bfarrell727: For those interested in learning more about this insanity: https://www.parkrecord.com/sports/utah-olympic-park-opens-new-high-diving-facility/

If they just used sex robots as fans they could probably sell them all after it is all over and recoup all the costs associated with the olympics. Something about stones and birds in bushes.

Are they going to have to fire their own starter gun too?

Dunno why the medal thing bummed me out, but it did.

First competitors in athletes' village infected with COVID-19

Two athletes from the same country and competing in the same sport staying in the village in the Harumi waterfront district tested positive for the virus, organisers said without providing further details.

Organisers on Sunday reported 10 new cases connected to the Olympics, including a third athlete who was not staying in the village, down from 15 new cases a day earlier. 

South Africa also reported three positive cases in its soccer squad - two players and an analyst. It was not immediately clear if those cases were identified as part of the same testing programme.
Sigh. I think this whole thing is going to be a train wreck of epic proportions and probably the most memorable Olympics in history. 

I mean, what happens if they test positive in the middle of a multiple-day event? I would assume they have to withdraw, but haven't been able to find that anywhere. 

Users who are viewing this thread