Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2020 (now 2021) Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Closing ceremonies 8/8 | USA finishes with most gold, silver, bronze AND overall medals

2 minutes ago, Capella said:

You heard me. 

“check”

This is enough of a thing to be an olympic sport? I thought it was old NBA guys did to hang onto the life...

• Like 1

Just now, El Floppo said:

This is enough of a thing to be an olympic sport? I thought it was old NBA guys did to hang onto the life...

Lol first time I’ve ever seen it was 20 minutes ago. Apparently the US men didn’t qualify somehow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

I'm watching Opening Ceremonies on a little delay, so just getting to the Parade of Nations, which I always :heart: .  Who will be this year's Tonga flag-bearer guy?

Oh, I'm already tearing up over the Refugee Team.

This year's Tonga flag-bearer guy is...Tonga flag-bearer guy!

• Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, Capella said:

:lmao: probably guys who look like me trying to qualify 

You’re about to miss Poland/Latvia 3 on 3 hoops, hurry up 

I actually watched one of the 3x3 qualifiers, it was definitely a bunch of streetball dudes.

The Parade of Nations teaching me all sorts of things. Had no clue that the Phillipines has as many people as they have. Huge population. And I never would have guessed that Bangladesh has the 8th highest population in the world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GroveDiesel said:

The Parade of Nations teaching me all sorts of things. Had no clue that the Phillipines has as many people as they have. Huge population. And I never would have guessed that Bangladesh has the 8th highest population in the world.

Bangladesh. Georgia of the world. 

3 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

I love learning of a few countries I didn't know existed and also the little factoids they give.  :)

3 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Without seeing him... Im guessing Rubenesque

:no:  You don't remember this guy from 2016 and also the winter 2018 games?  He's back!

ETA:  Hate Buzzfeed, but that headline has me :lmao: 

Edited by krista4
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

43 minutes ago, krista4 said:

:no:  You don't remember this guy from 2016 and also the winter 2018 games?  He's back!

:lol: .... Oh...right- that guy

Eta...lmao at that headline

Edited by El Floppo
  • Laughing 1

44 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I remember that Buzzfeed ran that article and headline like a week after running an article complaining about men objectifying women.

5 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

I remember that Buzzfeed ran that article and headline like a week after running an article complaining about men objectifying women.

Did you even see that guy?!

• Laughing 1

7 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Anybody else getting a DemonSeed vibe from that robot flame holder thing  Osakas lighting?

I don't know, but I was yelling at her to use the handrail to go up those stairs.  They looked steep!  :lol:

Final rankings after watching the whole thing now:

Best dressed - This was really tight, as Costa Rica, Ghana, and Aruba were sharp, but Angola looked like a bunch of kings and queens out there.  Unexpected positive:  USA team looked chic and not just all stars and stripes-y.

Worst dressed - Switzerland channeling a mid-century Modern home, color palette of Annie Hall.  Honorable mention to Belgium for making their women look like jackasses while allowing the men to dress like humans.

3 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

I mean......it's got "Bang" right there in the name.  It's the first four letters.  It's not "Kissladesh" or "Lightpettingladesh" for good reason.

• Laughing 1

Swedish soccer ladies all but clinched the group with that win over the Aussies ... lest they blow a tire vs the Kiwis, and USA ladies score a buncha goals going forward ...

:popcorn:

Edited by otb_lifer

7 hours ago, Chris B. said:

Water polo is fun. Having a rooting interest in the US women helps.

Watching the replay of their match now. This is way more physical than I thought. Lots of grabbing, shoving, dunking, etc.

13 hours ago, Capella said:

:lmao: probably guys who look like me trying to qualify 

You’re about to miss Poland/Latvia 3 on 3 hoops, hurry up 

Did Poland announce a starting 5?

13 hours ago, krista4 said:

This year's Tonga flag-bearer guy is...Tonga flag-bearer guy!

I think this is awesome and to balance out all the chauvinism for centuries it would be a long time before men should say anything but having said all that it was just a tad creepy listening to Savannah Guthrie talk about him and the other shirtless dude during the opening ceremonies.

8 hours ago, Chris B. said:

8 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

A good day one for US mens volleyball as they dominated a very strong France team 3-0 while tournament favorites Poland managed to lose in five sets to Iran. 

Two of my favorites to watch during the Olympics and got to catch some of both matches.  Great start to the games.

Most needless coach in the Olympics, whatchagot?

I think I may vote for Table Tennis.  What exactly do these coaches do?  I’m sure I’m missing a sport but this one for some reason is cracking me up watching this guy sit there watching. 

48 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:
8 hours ago, Chris B. said:

Watching the replay of their match now. This is way more physical than I thought. Lots of grabbing, shoving, dunking, etc.

There's a reason these guys are built like TE/LB hybrids. They beat the #### out of each other all game.

15 hours ago, Capella said:

Imo the nbc Olympics app is the way to go. Currently watching Italy v Canada in Volleyball and just saw China whoop Romania in 3 on 3 hoops. 

Yep. Can watch anything and everything there assuming you have a cable login. Replays, live, all of it, and for some of the events they seem to be using international commentary crews who know the sport really well. The coverage of the men’s road race last night was fantastic on the app. 

it sucks that we won’t have live events to watch during the workday, but you can watch whatever you want on replay in the app. Just a matter of avoiding spoilers. I plan on watching all of the women’s handball (can’t get into men’s for some reason), all of the indoor volleyball, and all the racquet sports. Pretty pumped. 

Not the peacock tv app, the nbc sports app. The background is black, it has the NBC logo at the top and the Olympic Rings in gold below. There is a Tokyo Olympics section within the app, and you can find everything under the watch tab. You do have to authenticate with a cable or streaming provider though. 

I know there is tons of coverage on the peacock app too, but as far as I can tell the nbcsports app has literally every event available 

38 minutes ago, identikit said:

Watching Joker on the hardcourt.

Nice tune-up for the US Open

Not a knock on you but your post reminded me - I essentially never watch the major sports and especially major sports where we basically already see an International competition yearly or regularly.  Golf, soccer, baseball, tennis, even most of basketball since the Dream Team - doesn’t really interest me.  I’ll watch table tennis, water polo, volleyball and hand ball much more than the “majors”.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

I think this is awesome and to balance out all the chauvinism for centuries it would be a long time before men should say anything but having said all that it was just a tad creepy listening to Savannah Guthrie talk about him and the other shirtless dude during the opening ceremonies.

I found out last night that I had an uncanny ability to tune her out and hear only Mike Tirico.  It's a gift.

• Laughing 2

14 minutes ago, Moe. said:

Not the peacock tv app, the nbc sports app. The background is black, it has the NBC logo at the top and the Olympic Rings in gold below. There is a Tokyo Olympics section within the app, and you can find everything under the watch tab. You do have to authenticate with a cable or streaming provider though. 

I know there is tons of coverage on the peacock app too, but as far as I can tell the nbcsports app has literally every event available 

Can't find it on Comcast.

Will try Roku.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I found out last night that I had an uncanny ability to tune her out and hear only Mike Tirico.  It's a gift.

I barely listened to either of them but she seemed a little verklempt when the flag guy showed up.

• Laughing 1

30 minutes ago, Moe. said:

Yea it’s super great. Need to start sleeping during the day (lol yea sure my 3 year old says) so I can stay up all night binging this. 

Great, brutal road race - US made a great shot at it, but didn't quite close.  And great to see the winner (no spoilers) from a country that doesn't typically get medals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://spacecoastdaily.com/2021/07/official-guide-to-watch-summer-tokyo-olympics-2021-live-stream-vpn-officially-from-any-country/

Channels from around the world that are covering the Olympics.  A lot of events we don’t show here are on these channels.  

Edited by FairWarning
  • Thanks 1

• Nathan R. Jessep changed the title to 2020 (now 2021) Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Closing ceremonies 8/8 | USA finishes with most gold, silver, bronze AND overall medals