Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2020 (now 2021) Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Closing ceremonies 8/8 | USA finishes with most gold, silver, bronze AND overall medals

12 minutes ago, Moe. said:

Were any of the women skateboarders wearing helmets and/or pads? None of the men were and it really caught me by surprise. I know it’s not the half pipe but it still seems like you could take a nasty fall or two 

Helmets on most, no pads though I think. 

10 minutes ago, The Gator said:

USA/China polo with a fun first quarter, the Chinese keeper was great

Flipping between this and Luka going nuclear on Argentina, good stuff. 

4 hours ago, culdeus said:

What is this skateboard thing where they just do one trick and quit. Why is this a thing?

More events = more money. They didn't foresee no live audience. Oops, dumb events.

11 hours ago, Moe. said:
11 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Let’s go - finally getting to Fujita here. 2 on 1 out. 

I was excited to watch this until I learned it’s meaningless and these two teams play again on Tuesday for the gold. Not sure why there isn’t at least a semifinal. 

The softball coverage has been severely lacking.  On Saturday night, they cut to the studio immediately after the walk-off single in extra innings, not even a single replay of the game-winning hit, where the studio hosts were discussing ... not softball.  They had a 35 year old pitcher throw an extra-innings complete game shut out  against a top rival to advance to the gold medal game and it got zero coverage, including no mention (as far as I heard) of the fact that win would guarantee them a spot in the gold medal game.  Then, last night, as the USA was about to start its at-bats in the bottom of the 7th, the screen went to the "Event Concluded" logo, so they did not broadcast the game winning walkoff HR (at least not on the feed I was watching.)  Everything I know about this event I've learned from randos on twitter.

• Sad 2

USA is now 2-0 in Rugby pool play, having beaten Kenya and Ireland.  To add some perspective to the difference between the Rugby 7's game they are playing in the Olympics and what I call "real rugby" (Rugby Union, or 15's) - the US lost to Ireland in real rugby a couple weeks ago 71-10, and that was mostly Ireland's B team.  But hey, we are pretty good at rubgy-lite and it is an exciting game.  South Afrika up next - our biggest challenge by far of the group stage.

9 hours ago, The Gator said:

What’s the water polo version of a goalie standing on his/her head?  The Chinese keeper is doing it

Who won?

35 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

The softball coverage has been severely lacking.  On Saturday night, they cut to the studio immediately after the walk-off single in extra innings, not even a single replay of the game-winning hit, where the studio hosts were discussing ... not softball.  They had a 35 year old pitcher throw an extra-innings complete game shut out  against a top rival to advance to the gold medal game and it got zero coverage, including no mention (as far as I heard) of the fact that win would guarantee them a spot in the gold medal game.  Then, last night, as the USA was about to start its at-bats in the bottom of the 7th, the screen went to the "Event Concluded" logo, so they did not broadcast the game winning walkoff HR (at least not on the feed I was watching.)  Everything I know about this event I've learned from randos on twitter.

https://youtu.be/4uV0vkZj0LQ

• Thanks 2

Indoor volleyball and water polo are so repetitive....looks like the same play over and over again.  I'm sure I'd appreciate them more if I were an expert in them, but nevertheless, these are two of my least favorite sports to watch in the summer games.   I may have to do an olympics sport ranking(for entertainment value.)

Edited by TripItUp
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Big crash in mountain biking by one of the contenders.  This is a fun watch (not due to the crash, but overall).

Was just coming in to post that - HFS. Just happened to glance over at my other monitor as it happened.

7 minutes ago, heckmanm said:
13 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Big crash in mountain biking by one of the contenders.  This is a fun watch (not due to the crash, but overall).

Was just coming in to post that - HFS. Just happened to glance over at my other monitor as it happened.

He eventually got up and joined the race again.  Ballsy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TripItUp said:

Indoor volleyball and water polo are so repetitive....looks like the same play over and over again.  I'm sure I'd appreciate them more if I were an expert in them, but nevertheless, these are two of my least favorite sports to watch in the summer games.   I may have to do an olympics sport ranking(for entertainment value.)

I'd read this.  And I'd submit to you for your rankings Olympic Power Walking

Love the Olympics. Gives me an opportunity to dust off my Olympic Expert Shtick.

Women's rowing: "the chinese rower is really off her line. she's going to have to increase her left handed stroke rate to straighten up."

Diving: "wow. he really entered the water 2 degree forward that time. that's going to affect his score. might keep him off the podium"

Gymnastics: "ouch. that little wobble at the end is a half point deduction."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 3

2 hours ago, TripItUp said:

I disagree on indoor volleyball.  The men's hit absolute rockets at each other and the women.....well.....let's just say I like to watch.  :wub:

• Like 2

Just now, Jayrod said:

I disagree on indoor volleyball.  The men's hit absolute rockets at each other and the women.....well.....let's just say I like to watch.  :wub:

the beach volleyball chicks are smoking...all of that please.  I'm not watching for the sport.

2 hours ago, TripItUp said:

There's a huge difference between men's and women's volleyball.  I think women's is more interesting as they do more offspeed stuff and get some good volleys going from time to time.  With the men, its almost always a kill or a block, and volleys of more than 2-3 overs are rare. 

2 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

There's a huge difference between men's and women's volleyball.  I think women's is more interesting as they do more offspeed stuff and get some good volleys going from time to time.  With the men, its almost always a kill or a block, and volleys of more than 2-3 overs are rare. 

Agreed, similar to women's tennis.

30 minutes ago, H Jass said:

I'd read this.  And I'd submit to you for your rankings Olympic Power Walking

The men's 50k walk is always a highlight, and this summer is the last time we'll get to see it as they decided to end it as an Olympic event (there is no women's 50k walk.)  Ringer did a short podcast about it here: https://open.spotify.com/episode/1VjGhE1ieBq2w6iA3AwPxf 

Absolutely brutal sport in which a third or more of the competitors won't finish the race.  Those who do finish often need immediate medical attention.  And yes, there will be excrement.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TripItUp said:

I love watching volleyball, but I played it from junior high all the way through high school. Even went to city finals. Would have loved to play in college (insert joke about needing 3 more inches here).

it might be boring to some only because they make it look so easy. Getting perfect bumps on 100mph rocket balls and then jumping 3 feet over the net to spike it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, krista4 said:

Been watching this feed. Tough course. All up and technical down.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Been watching this feed. Tough course. All up and technical down.

I am fairly certain that was Mathieu van der Poel... he wore the yellow jersey as leader of Tour de France for several days during the race earlier this month. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris B. said:

Have you guys seen the beach volleyball "sky ball" serve? It's completely ridiculous and I love it so much.

Yeah, but it’s really only effective when the sun is in your opponent’s eyes or really windy.  Since this was indoors, I think he was just showing off.

which makes me love it more

Edited by Hoh

5 hours ago, krista4 said:

Reminds me of the lady last(?) Olympics who had the absolutely brutal crash in the road race and broke her neck among other things. Seriously thought she might have died when I first saw it. Amazingly, she won silver this year and almost won gold (and thought she had actually because of some weird misunderstanding).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

Reminds me of the lady last(?) Olympics who had the absolutely brutal crash in the road race and broke her neck among other things. Seriously thought she might have died when I first saw it. Amazingly, she won silver this year and almost won gold (and thought she had actually because of some weird misunderstanding).

Great comeback story!  The guy who won today had broken his collarbone earlier this year, so that was a nice story, too.

5 hours ago, Jayrod said:

In college a group of us road tripped to follow the women's volleyball team.  Went to Purdue (short drive) and then for a weekend up to Michigan and Michigan State.  We got into the game late, and had the entire team pause and turn to look at us when we started cheering one of their points.  We ended up giving the sports marketing manager (or something like that) a ride back to U of I since we were driving all night and the team wasn't leaving until the morning.

4 hours ago, Phil Elliott said:

Guys might want to consider wearing a cup.

I am not sure a cup will help when you go backwards into a railing.

5 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Not if you have Scott Sterling on your team!!!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

Reminds me of the lady last(?) Olympics who had the absolutely brutal crash in the road race and broke her neck among other things. Seriously thought she might have died when I first saw it. A look hm him hi g hi u koi kk no it's for UTI hemazingly, she won silver this year and almost won gold (and thought she had actually because of some weird misunderstanding).

There's no radio on the course (there usually is so the riders can talk to their teammates and management to see what's going on on the racecourse), so when the chase group caught the second to last breakaway riders, she mistakenly thought that was the LAST breakaway rider, and when she crossed the finish she thought she had won...no idea there was another rider already finished.

3 hours ago, Osaurus said:

Settle down Gramps ;)

everyone slid down a rail and most fell.  they all had earbuds in.  this is worse than softball on a baseball field.  

• Like 1

they need to combine more events and synchronize everything.  air rifle shooting at cyclists.  synchronized vaults.  synchronized surfing.  2024 new event should be outdoor pokémon.

• Laughing 2

• Nathan R. Jessep changed the title to 2020 (now 2021) Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Closing ceremonies 8/8 | USA finishes with most gold, silver, bronze AND overall medals