What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best songs performed live? (1 Viewer)

wazoo11

Footballguy
I was going down a rabbit hole of the greats playing songs live

(Hendrix, Ozzy, Prince etc) 

Im sure this topic has been discussed but I’m curious to hear your favs.

For post-rock, "My Father My King" by Mogwai, here live in Denver in '06, is always a twenty minute utter barn burner if you have a classical patience and a rock sensibility. There's glorious payoff at the fourteen-sixteen minute mark and then some. It's not just a drone.

Explosions In The Sky's "Memorial" is shorter, and will also bring an audience house down.

Are we talking songs that are generally awesome when performed live or are you asking for best individual live performances of songs?  For example- I’ve seen Tool several times in concert and I get goosebumps anytime I see/hear Lateralus live in person. I’ve also seen Depeche Mode in concert a few times and “Never let me down” live always sends chills up my spine. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we talking songs that are generally awesome when performed live or are you asking for best individual live performances of songs?  For example- I’ve seen Tool several times in concert and I get goosebumps anytime I see/hear Lateralus live in person. I’ve also seen Depeche Mode in concert a few times and “Never let me down” live always sends chills up my spine. 
jvd! Good to see you check in late night on the West Coast. Seems like it's been a while. Always respect the handle. Tool and Depeche Mode are certainly different animals, other than dressing in black.

First song I thought of was Comfortably Numb, whether performed by Pink Floyd or David Gilmour on one of his solo tours (it's not the same when Roger Waters plays it without Gilmour being there to do the solos). 

been waiting more'n 50 yrs for anyone to improve on this. the closest anyone has come was the next year when Leon Russell and a dozen or so hippie with babies & bubbles & such would burst into fullness behind Cocker on the Mad Dogs & Englishmen tour.

my personal favorites are an old man's favorites - Jim Morrison (my 1st concert) throwing himself into a stage prop that looked like a drying rack and thrashing like a shark destroying one of them aluminum cages; Bonzo bare-handing Moby **** for 20 minutes in Montreal, 1970, before passing out in a pool of his own blood; the Floyd twice a year @ Boston's Music Hall, with so many effects that a fan fell out of the balcony and no one helped cuz they thought it was part of the show; Dr John Medicine Show or Deep Purple @ the Sunset Series on Boston Common; Stevie Wonder opening for the Stones; Laura Nyro encoring a solo-piano concert by having LaBelle come out and premiering an album of doo-*** songs with them; Thick as a Brick tour; Talking Heads & Ramones, 77, when i knew who neither of em were

and, of course, every time i went to see Prince. no performer has ever made it feel like he's doing this just for you amid a crowd of 12,000 like His Purple Majesty

and, of course of course, my favorite 21st C youtube concert moment is an old man singing about being young. reducing Elvis Costello & Neko Case to tears in the process. whachagonnado?

First song I thought of was Comfortably Numb, whether performed by Pink Floyd or David Gilmour on one of his solo tours (it's not the same when Roger Waters plays it without Gilmour being there to do the solos). 

Gilmour’s live version of “Echoes” at Gdańsk immediately came to mind when I saw this thread. Among the entire Floyd/Gilmour/Waters arsenal, hard to top this one IMO.

Both. I am talking songs from their concert tour days. Like Nirvana live at Reading or Pink Floyd Pulse tour. 

Yep.  For me, the Pulse version is perfection.

Though, per your parenthetical, I would have paid a stupid amount of money to be at this show when Gilmore makes a surprise appearance. 

Gilmour’s live version of “Echoes” at Gdańsk immediately came to mind when I saw this thread. Among the entire Floyd/Gilmour/Waters arsenal, hard to top this one IMO.
I have that live DVD, and Echoes alone makes it worth having.  Incredible performance for sure.  Getting everything else feels like a bonus!  (and I am a big fan of On an Island)

Users who are viewing this thread