What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So I listened to the radio today... (1 Viewer)

ekbeats

Footballguy
Modern hits / Hip Hop on Sirius radio.  I’m not exaggerating when I say that every single song was n-word, b*tches, profanities, violence and graphic sex acts.  Couldn’t believe my ears.

Yes, I’m white and I’m old.  Yesterday’s news, which I’m reminded of daily.  But I’ve never been a prude, and always been lower middle class and a little rough around the edges.  I haven’t listened to modern hip hop in about 5 years but I never remember it being this bad.  What happened?  When did that genre of music become completely unlistenable?  Every single song.  I’m generally not a believer that music lyrics poison young peoples’ minds, but holy smokes.  Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
That Elvis Presley fellow on the Ed Sullivan show, they showed him from the waist down and he made very suggestive moves with his hips. It was obscene! I don’t think they should allow that sort of thing on television. And this new music is destroying the minds of our children! 

You know, some of these video games these days - its a lot of shooting and killing.  Its corrupting kids - makes 'em want to go out and get a gun.

I didn't have that problem when I was playing Pong.

You know, some of these video games these days - its a lot of shooting and killing.  Its corrupting kids - makes 'em want to go out and get a gun.

I didn't have that problem when I was playing Pong.
Astroids was pretty aggressive - man vs meteroir. 

This is going exactly as I expected...

I don’t expect people on this site to understand but it just seems - incongruous I guess - that while we soend so much time picking apart the significance of words, tweets, statues, etc  because they’re apparently insensitive to minorities - we have this parallel universe going on where it’s an endless drumbeat and glorification of all the truly destructive things we don’t want in society today (promiscuous sex, misogyny, racism, violence, drug use...)  If an alien came to America today they’d be confused as all hell.

Modern hits / Hip Hop on Sirius radio.  I’m not exaggerating when I say that every single song was n-word, b*tches, profanities, violence and graphic sex acts.  Couldn’t believe my ears.

Yes, I’m white and I’m old.  Yesterday’s news, which I’m reminded of daily.  But I’ve never been a prude, and always been lower middle class and a little rough around the edges.  I haven’t listened to modern hip hop in about 5 years but I never remember it being this bad.  What happened?  When did that genre of music become completely unlistenable?  Every single song.  I’m generally not a believer that music lyrics poison young peoples’ minds, but holy smokes.  Thoughts?
It moved from keeping it real to being "authentic".

Did I do that right?

1988 called and said hello.  

You know what might be a good idea, a parental warning label on the records and tapes being sold. Nah that will never fly.  

How is it different than where it has always been?

Have you seen Boyz n the Hood?

“Why is it every time you talk about a female you gotta say #####, ho, or hootchie?”

The songs, like Rock and Country…are about drinking and drugs and sex.   I don’t think anything has changed.

Hip Hop and New Country artists talk about the same thing. Partying, their rides, the ladies, hanging out with their boys, their ####ty neighborhoods that they love, getting high/drunk, etc.  

It's not...and look how far we've come...lol

When did that genre of music become completely unlistenable?  Every single song.  I’m generally not a believer that music lyrics poison young peoples’ minds, but holy smokes.  Thoughts?
I know you're focused on the music that "younger people" are listening to...but there is a #### ton of great music being created today.  You can't listen to the radio though to find it.

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

It's almost as bad as all the suggestive lyrics in 80s/90s rock that involved having relations with underaged girls.  

It's not...and look how far we've come...lol

I know you're focused on the music that "younger people" are listening to...but there is a #### ton of great music being created today.  You can't listen to the radio though to find it.
Yeah...there is a lot of stuff out there that is pretty damn good (and definitely a lot of complete crap out of all genres).

And yeah...definitely not real different than what was coming out in the 80s and 90s when it comes to lyrics.  And again...not much different than what those in things like Rock or Country were talking about in the 60s and on and on all the time.

I’m with you Candace Owens...

https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/status/1367534676689235970?s=20

Black culture honestly breaks my heart. It disintegrated so quickly from topics of faith family & love to absolute debauchery. We went from the Temptations and Commodores to naked women debasing themselves in the blink of an eye. We are ruining black children with false idols.
The Kardashians say hi.  It’s a multiple cultural problem.  Reality TV and Social Media are cancers to our society and are Far Far Far more damaging then hip hop.  

I don’t expect people on this site to understand but it just seems - incongruous I guess - that while we soend so much time picking apart the significance of words, tweets, statues, etc  because they’re apparently insensitive to minorities - we have this parallel universe going on where it’s an endless drumbeat and glorification of all the truly destructive things we don’t want in society today (promiscuous sex, misogyny, racism, violence, drug use...)  If an alien came to America today they’d be confused as all hell.
could be wrong but wasn't the hip hop song of the year Wet Hot P****?

think that tells a lot.  IMHO

The Kardashians say hi.  It’s a multiple cultural problem.  Reality TV and Social Media are cancers to our society and are Far Far Far more damaging then hip hop.  
This is true but it sure seems to be disproportionately impacting the black culture.

Fun fact - the first documented use of the n-word and b*tches in a song?

1983 - New York New York (Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five)

This is true but it sure seems to be disproportionately impacting the black culture.
As a father to a young daughter I’m not so sure of that.  Teenage (girls in particular) suicide has been skyrocketing for years (prior to COVID).    

As a father to a young daughter I’m not so sure of that.  Teenage (girls in particular) suicide has been skyrocketing for years (prior to COVID).    
Disproportionately.

The environment is for sure a challenge for all.

Have you seen Boyz n the Hood?

“Why is it every time you talk about a female you gotta say #####, ho, or hootchie?”

The songs, like Rock and Country…are about drinking and drugs and sex.   I don’t think anything has changed.
It's not.   For our nerdy music draft I was listening to some 80s rap, and you still have that stuff 30+ years ago.  

I've seen a few things that show a big spike right about the time we had our phones and SM in our lives 24/7.

I’m with you Candace Owens...

https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/status/1367534676689235970?s=20

Black culture honestly breaks my heart. It disintegrated so quickly from topics of faith family & love to absolute debauchery. We went from the Temptations and Commodores to naked women debasing themselves in the blink of an eye. We are ruining black children with false idols.
Candace Owens is making a lot of money by very stridently telling white conservatives exactly what they want to hear: that black culture is all screwed up, and that blacks are responsible for their problems (racism has nothing to do with it.) Whether she believes her own crap or not I have no idea. 

I just checked ITunes.  The top 97 hip hop songs came up.  You know how many had explicit lyrics?  96.

-Today’s Country had 1 out of 81.

- Rock had 8 out of 47.

What culture has been disproportionately impacted by Qanon?

I don't like vulgar lyrics by anyone, but it wasn't black people who listen to rap who stormed the Capital on January 6th. It was white people who support this heinous, thoroughly destructive ideology. 

Being promiscuous is destructive? 

Users who are viewing this thread