What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Supporting green energy means you promote slave and child labor (1 Viewer)

stlrams

Footballguy
It’s no secret that the Biden administration will push green energy alternatives.  Whatever the final version of the infrastructure deal will include money to push this narrative.  Unfortunately the manufacturing of solar panels and metals used in electric car batteries use slave, child and forced labor in China and Africa.  

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/14/energy/china-solar-panels-uyghur-forced-labor-dst-intl-hnk/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/batteries/congo-cobalt-mining-for-lithium-ion-battery/

Does the the end result (saving the planet) justify the exploitation of humans?

No. But we need to have a green planet. Let’s find a way to do one without the other. 

If your counterargument is “I oppose all green solutions because in China they’re using slave labor to achieve them”, I don’t find that really compelling. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s no secret that the Biden administration will push green energy alternatives.  Whatever the final version of the infrastructure deal will include money to push this narrative.  Unfortunately the manufacturing of solar panels and metals used in electric car batteries use slave, child and forced labor in China and Africa.  

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/14/energy/china-solar-panels-uyghur-forced-labor-dst-intl-hnk/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/batteries/congo-cobalt-mining-for-lithium-ion-battery/

I’m not sure I totally believe that is happening but let’s pretend for a minute that it was and green energy was the only way to save the planet.  I’d vote yes.

I’m not sure I totally believe that is happening but let’s pretend for a minute that it was and green energy was the only way to save the planet.  I’d vote yes.
It’s well documented that China and Africa uses child and slave/forced labor in the manufacturing of solar panels and mining of cobalt used electric car batteries. So you’re voting to promote slavery..

It’s well documented that China and Africa uses child and slave/forced labor in the manufacturing of solar panels and mining of cobalt used electric car batteries. So you’re voting to promote slavery..
And you’re voting to end the planet in your hypothetical - why do you want to kill everyone?  Why do you hate the kids that are out there and want to grow up and have a life?  Seems awfully selfish if you. 

No. But we need to have a green planet. Let’s find a way to do one without the other. 

If your counterargument is “I oppose all green solutions because in China they’re using slave labor to achieve them”, I don’t find that really compelling. 
How can you compete vs slave labor for solar panels? 

they also do it to manufacture clothes, so if you wear clothes you promote slavery.

How can you compete vs slave labor for solar panels? 
Good question. The only way I know is by increasing trade to the point where consumers in the countries you mentioned have more buying power and increased expectations. Free trade, free markets. That’s the answer, always has been. 

And you’re voting to end the planet in your hypothetical - why do you want to kill everyone?  Why do you hate the kids that are out there and want to grow up and have a life?  Seems awfully selfish if you. 
And its not as if voting GOP ends the use of solar or battery power.  Not at all.

Why do you hate the children of Africa and the over 2 million Uyghur who are slaves/force labor.  Are their lives meaningless to you? Seems awfully selfish of you. 

No the counterargument is that you're swapping one polluting system for another. All you're doing is moving the pollution to the front of the manufacturing process.

On top of that, for all the crying about oil spills those electric batteries are absolutely terrible for the environment.

Quite the contrary my friend.  Trump put on 30% tariff on all China solar panels.  
And that stopped the manufacture or use?  
He did so not because of child labor…but because he got in a pissing contest unnecessarily which cost consumers in the end.

No the counterargument is that you're swapping one polluting system for another. All you're doing is moving the pollution to the front of the manufacturing process.

On top of that, for all the crying about oil spills those electric batteries are absolutely terrible for the environment.
Yeah very little discussion on the disposal of batteries and effect on environment 

No but it did help off-setting the price advantage - no?
No…it likely increased the price of the goods as typically they are going to pass it iff to consumers.  You think the manufacturers are eating the cost and reducing profits?

And that stopped the manufacture or use?  
He did so not because of child labor…but because he got in a pissing contest unnecessarily which cost consumers in the end.
It certainly help..  Please provide a link why tariff was done.

It certainly help..  Please provide a link why tariff was done.
How would it help? Again, do you believe the manufacturers were eating the cost by reducing profits?

You expect a link with Trump stating what I said, really?  Seems a disingenuous request.  Considering no link came to support the claim that Trump adding the tariff had anything to do with child labor.

How would it help? Again, do you believe the manufacturers were eating the cost by reducing profits?

You expect a link with Trump stating what I said, really?  Seems a disingenuous request.  Considering no link came to support the claim that Trump adding the tariff had anything to do with child labor.
Are you serious?  First off, tariffs help off-set the price advantages China has using slave labor.  If you disagree please advise. 

Second you made a statement and i’m asking you to support with a link. That’s disingenuous?  

What do you expect from this administration? They have proven time and time again they don't care for anyone except their elite. Joe was cheated for the win under lies. Where is everyone's 2K? Where is unemployment until September? Where is student loan forgiveness? Again, its sucks so many were taken in for this and helped take out a great man and someone who cared for us all in DT. It sickens me that man is in the WH.

Do you care to offer information that counters this or just offer up emojies
It is an absurd premise and accusation to say if you support green energy. that means you promote slave and child labor. 

If is very difficult to take this thread seriously if that is the starting point. 

It is an absurd premise and accusation to say if you support green energy. that means you promote slave and child labor. 

If is very difficult to take this thread seriously if that is the starting point. 
It’s ok if you’re in a nudist colony though

Why?  I offer links from your beloved msm that shows the vast majority of solar panels mfg in China uses force/slave labor and raw materials in electric cars batteries use child labor. Care to counter or just use the dismiss button? 

Are you serious?  First off, tariffs help off-set the price advantages China has using slave labor.  If you disagree please advise. 

Second you made a statement and i’m asking you to support with a link. That’s disingenuous?  
I disagree because I believe they pass that cost along to the consumers anyway.  I believe manufacturers here and consumers here were hurt by the tariffs.

And you made the original statement bringing tariffs into the discussion…with no link.  So now expecting one when you are unable or unwilling to bring one to support your  own assertion…when mine was clearly opinion…yes, that IMO is disingenuous.

Why?  I offer links from your beloved msm that shows the vast majority of solar panels mfg in China uses force/slave labor and raw materials in electric cars batteries use child labor. Care to counter or just use the dismiss button? 
Sorry, but I am not going to engage in any discussion starting with the false premise that I promote slave and child labor. 

I disagree because I believe they pass that cost along to the consumers anyway.  I believe manufacturers here and consumers here were hurt by the tariffs.

And you made the original statement bringing tariffs into the discussion…with no link.  So now expecting one when you are unable or unwilling to bring one to support your  own assertion…when mine was clearly opinion…yes, that IMO is disingenuous.
So no link supporting your premise..just it’s my opinion...". 

If you dont support nuclear energy for electricity.   You arent serious.

There are two logical fallicies here. One that all green energy involves slave labor or child labor. The second is that people can't advocate for green energy and also eliminating the use of slave/child labor in their production.

That being said the use of child/slave labor in creating solar panels and batteries is concerning. I am happy that you are bringing awareness to this issue.

Aoc  - the USA has a horrible past of of supporting slavery, forced labor, and child labor but check out my new Tesla that used child labor.  

Users who are viewing this thread