What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ANoM (1 Viewer)

ANOM: Hundreds arrested in massive global crime sting using messaging app (BBC, 6/8/2021)

More than 800 suspected criminals have been arrested worldwide after being tricked into using an FBI-run encrypted messaging app, officials say.

The operation, jointly conceived by Australia and the FBI, saw devices with the ANOM app secretly distributed among criminals, allowing police to monitor their chats about drug smuggling, money laundering and even murder plots.

Officials called it a watershed moment.

Targets included drug gangs and people with links to the mafia.

Drugs, weapons, luxury vehicles and cash were also seized in the operation, which was conducted across more than a dozen countries. This included eight tons of cocaine, 250 guns and more than $48m (£34m) in various worldwide currencies and cryptocurrencies.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the operation had "struck a heavy blow against organised crime" around the world.

Diabolical - a trojan horse crypto app aimed at gangsters.  I wonder how they made sure they weren't spying on US citizens doing non-criminal things on this app.

Diabolical - a trojan horse crypto app aimed at gangsters.  I wonder how they made sure they weren't spying on US citizens doing non-criminal things on this app.
It wasn't just an app. It was a device that was only used for criminal communication. Basically if you weren't a criminal then there was no reason to have one, or really any way to get one. If I am understanding it correctly.

It wasn't just an app. It was a device that was only used for criminal communication. Basically if you weren't a criminal then there was no reason to have one, or really any way to get one. If I am understanding it correctly.
Oh, ok.  An Obama phone for gangsters!  

Again, diabolical.

All the communications were actually going to a foreign government (sounds like Australia) who would summarize and send the pertinent communications to the FBI.  So it looks like at a minimum the FBI was technically following the laws (we can discuss the spirit separately).

Last edited by a moderator:
All the communications were actually going to a foreign government (sounds like Australia) who would summarize and send the pertinent communications to the FBI.  So it looks like at a minimum the FBI was technically following the laws (we can discuss the spirit separately).
They made the phones unable to call or text, only communicate thru the encrypted app. They were distributed by undercover agents to known criminals, who then distributed/vouched for it and it became pretty widespread. It sounds like the comms were pretty blatant- it’s encrypted! No code words or innuendo needed! 

Users who are viewing this thread