What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PSF Debate 2021: GordonGekko vs timschochet (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to nominate any of the following people to be judges of this debate: 

@IvanKaramazov

@Maurile Tremblay

@Fish

@bigbottom

@TheCommish

@Ghost Rider

@rockaction

All of these guys have been heavily critical of things I’ve written in the past. Not one of them could ever be accused of being on “my side” when it comes to political issues. But what they all have in common is thoughtfulness and integrity, IMO. I believe that any of them would give a fair and even handed evaluation. 

I will throw out some possible topics (though It’s up to @GordonGekko to choose which ones he wants to debate): 

Gun control 

abortion 

Undocumented or illegal immigration and the border 

Biden’s performance as President 

January 6

Thr extremism of the Republican Party 

the extremism of the Democratic Party 

Israel and the Middle East 

Russia 

China 

Covid 19

Black Lives Matter 

Climate change 

The role of government in society 

the mainstream media 

Voting suppression 

infrastructure 

the filibuster 

Last edited by a moderator:
tim, thanks for thinking of me, but I don't think I'll be able to participate in nor judge a debate. These things often end badly. Remember when bananafish wanted to debate Higgs or Tso? That culminated with Higgs basically leaving the board (though for different reasons) and bananafish calling for assassination later on during the years.

Callout debates probably aren't the best way to settle differences here. Too much like a duel. There's a one-upmanship inherent in them. The point of these discussions should be reaching conclusions and thinking, not scoring points because of judging. Glad you think I could be impartial, though. That I appreciate.

If Gekko challenged you to a debate, it was probably just the usual red herring and bombast that goes along with the whole spiel. Take it as it comes and don't let it get personal. That's my advice.

Appreciate the offer and sentiment, but I'd rather stay out of this and watch from the bleachers, especially since I don't have the time or will power to debate something like this. 

50 word limit. No bolding. No Direct Headline. No youtube links
Do it like an oral presidential debate: no links at all. Just a rhetorical exchange of raw ideas aimed at convincing an imaginary neutral audience. You can come with your own "version of facts", but you'll be dinged if the judges aren't convinced of the reasonableness of your version. Oral citations would still be permitted (e.g. "According to the CDC in an early March 2021 release ...").

He can set the topic and the rules.  Then follows it up with a list of topics and judges.  In another thread already told him he can't use video links.  This should end well
Just getting the ball rolling is how I saw that. I think ol Timmay just tossing out possible judges and topics.

Hell the topics list covered every possible political topic there is :lol:  Very comprehensive.

The endless barrage of youtube vids is unbearable, kind of like Carrot Top up there pulling junk out of his big suitcase, but if you want to be a prop comedian so be it. 

Tim, I am not sure why you are doing this, Mr. Gekko, thinks he can win any argument by overwhelming the other side with verbiage usually in the form of at least a dozen links to articles and an equal number of YouTube clips, sometimes running 10-15 minutes each.

You (and the poor readers of this thread) will be bombarded with so much content that few here will have the time or energy to wade through it all. From my past experience, even if you take the time to play 20 questions with him, he won't ever admit that he is wrong, he just hits you with additional links and videos to respond to. 

Debate him if you wish, but it will prove nothing and Mr Gekko will declare himself the winner (with links to more content) irrespective of what the judges say. 

So when does this start?
Don’t know: He hasn’t responded. When he challenged me to do this he predicted that I would ignore his challenge because I was afraid of open debate (which is amusing to me because I LOVE debate.) But now it appears that he is avoiding his own challenge, But it’s early yet; we’ll see: 

Gekko a huuuuuuuge heavy favorite in this thing right?  I mean on intellect and the ability to grasp and articulate concepts alone, clearly the superior.  This is no contest.  This is like Peyton Manning (ok, maybe Eli) vs. Ryan Leaf bad.  Is there anyone going to be wagering on Tim?   Anyone at all?

He can set the topic and the rules.  Then follows it up with a list of topics and judges.  In another thread already told him he can't use video links.  This should end well
I haven’t told him anything. Everything I posted on this was a suggestion or request; But he’s free to decide  everything: I will agree to debate under any rules he chooses. 

Just getting the ball rolling is how I saw that. I think ol Timmay just tossing out possible judges and topics.

Hell the topics list covered every possible political topic there is :lol:  Very comprehensive.

The endless barrage of youtube vids is unbearable, kind of like Carrot Top up there pulling junk out of his big suitcase, but if you want to be a prop comedian so be it. 
Links?  Proof?  Get them.  Then don't like them or don't like the source  It's a tired act by a handful of guys.  If he wants to debate and let Gekko set the rules as he said, then let it happen that way.  But he can't help himself.  Anything he disagrees with he will "reject" as if that's the golden standard.  But let's see how this goes

Mr. Gekko, thinks he can win any argument by overwhelming the other side with verbiage ...
Moops is on point to suggest a word-count limit per post. 50 words/post would be interesting but is kind of like speed chess ... maybe 150-200 is more like it.

Gekko a huuuuuuuge heavy favorite in this thing right?  I mean on intellect and the ability to grasp and articulate concepts alone, clearly the superior.  This is no contest.  This is like Peyton Manning (ok, maybe Eli) vs. Ryan Leaf bad. 
You're selling Tim short.  He's at least in the same tier as Tim Couch.

Tim, I am not sure why you are doing this, Mr. Gekko, thinks he can win any argument by overwhelming the other side with verbiage usually in the form of at least a dozen links to articles and an equal number of YouTube clips, sometimes running 10-15 minutes each.

You (and the poor readers of this thread) will be bombarded with so much content that few here will have the time or energy to wade through it all. From my past experience, even if you take the time to play 20 questions with him, he won't ever admit that he is wrong, he just hits you with additional links and videos to respond to. 

Debate him if you wish, but it will prove nothing and Mr Gekko will declare himself the winner (with links to more content) irrespective of what the judges say. 
Against the guy with 200K posts between all his alias accounts and leads almost every thread in post count?

• Laughing
Reactions: JAA
Depends. What if The Squad, Rachel Maddow, and Trevor Noah were the judges? Who'd be the favorite then?
While I agree with your hypothetical that a bunch of blind judges in a beauty pageant would greatly even out the odds, not sure why you would think that would ever happen.

Is there anyway to ignore an entire thread?

Asking for myself.
Very simple, just scroll past it, which some people were unable to do with political threads in the FFA, which is why the PSF was created.  

GG used to create threads in this forum and after awhile I never clicked on any of them as they all were pretty much the same and a time waster IMO. 

Links?  Proof?  Get them.  Then don't like them or don't like the source  It's a tired act by a handful of guys.  If he wants to debate and let Gekko set the rules as he said, then let it happen that way.  But he can't help himself.  Anything he disagrees with he will "reject" as if that's the golden standard.  But let's see how this goes
I start reading most of GG’s posts. Posting editorials or 15 minute videos that are unrelated then typing a rambling story isn’t the most compelling argument. You are just giving me other people’s opinions. I have Google too :lol:  

Just my two cents.

I didn’t see the thread / posts this debate talk originated from but I assume Tim will be open to other “rules” how many can there be honestly? As for topics that list Tim put up seemed to cover it all but also assume he’s open to whatever. 

I start reading most of GG’s posts. Posting editorials or 15 minute videos that are unrelated then typing a rambling story isn’t the most compelling argument. You are just giving me other people’s opinions. I have Google too :lol:  

Just my two cents.

I didn’t see the thread / posts this debate talk originated from but I assume Tim will be open to other “rules” how many can there be honestly? As for topics that list Tim put up seemed to cover it all but also assume he’s open to whatever. 
How do I paste a quote from another thread? I don’t know how to do that. If someone shows me I will post his challenge to me here for all to read. Tia 

I predict the judges suggested would be fair.

Other commentary would end up falling mostly among political lines.  There are some that will not be able to admit tim bested him on any point. Just because of their opinions of tim.  And likely vice versa as well.

GordonGekko said:
Why don't we do this, Tim.

Let's start a new thread called "PSF Debate 2021: GordonGekko Vs timschochet"

We can set up a poll where people can vote for topics they would like to see us debate. We can tackle each subject in the order of what got the most votes, then go down the list progressively. It would clearly be the most traffic intensive thread in the entire PSF and eventually in all of the forums.

The problem you'll have is while you use the Identity Politics Playbook dogmatically, you clearly don't understand the methodology on how to effectively use it. You can't differentiate the nuances of human behavior and just being a predictably outraged zealot.

Since you'll need to start simping at me right away, you'll probably challenge why any thread title has my board handle first. And that's OK, we can work on that.

So let's start a new thread called "PSF Debate 2021:  timschochet Vs Someone Too Naturally Dominant To Be Pedantic About Thread Titles"

You are always welcome to debate me, Tim.

Something I suspect you've completely missed the plot on regarding AOC ( this is , after all, a thread on AOC) is that her well paid and deep roster of media optics heavy hitters make sure she only stays in her wheelhouse. They aren't sending her out to do things she can't do. She has no experience in public policy nor law making nor the legal world nor lobbying, so she doesn't trudge near those areas. She's a glorified softball hitter that hits the right check boxes. Going after Big Pharma in her first year was a big fat juicy softball. But sometimes she can actually get some major wood onto the ball. And drive it. She's dangerous to herself and her campaign because she's unskilled, but she's also dangerous to others in the political establishment because she's unskilled and thus rote standard tactics no longer apply.

She's like someone who took the wrong medication is now behind the wheel of a very large motor vehicle. You don't know if she'll blow herself up first or someone else on the road, but no matter what happens, everyone is going to watch it happen. And when everyone watches, because they want to and don't want to at the same time, that's real power.

If it's any consolation, being pedantic about thread titles does not automatically make one unskilled. Usually a clue on what makes one unskilled is becoming a one trick pony where gaslighting is the only weapon in their arsenal. It's disappointing really. Most zealots have at least two weapons in their cache. I suppose half a zealot isn't the worst thing in the entire world.

I look forward to you pretending I didn't challenge you to open political debate Tim. Have a glorious day today.
Figured it out. Here was the challenge which I accepted. Haven’t heard back, 

If this debate actually happens my main problem with it will likely be that he tends to bring up irrelevancies and those bore me- like in his challenge post when he goes on and on about thread titles- who gives a crap about thread titles? Let him have whatever title he wants. And as for using the “Identity Playbook” dogmatically, I’m not even sure what that is. But whatever. Bring it on.

Gekko a huuuuuuuge heavy favorite in this thing right?  I mean on intellect and the ability to grasp and articulate concepts alone, clearly the superior.  This is no contest.  This is like Peyton Manning (ok, maybe Eli) vs. Ryan Leaf bad.  Is there anyone going to be wagering on Tim?   Anyone at all?
What a terrible and unnecessary post.  Be better.  

And, I’m not at all convinced that Gekko will even accept (his own) challenge if he can’t just post links. 

"Gekko can make the rules"....  everyone telling Gekko what his rules should be. :lmao:
The bolded is just something tim said.

Of course, he's a grown-### man and can speak for himself. Putting that aside: debate means little unless one or more non-participants set the ground rules.

The bolded is just something tim said.

Of course, he's a grown-### man and can speak for himself. Putting that aside: debate means little unless one or more non-participants set the ground rules.
99% of the forum has already decided who has won the debate.  That's how it works around here.  Let them both keep their long ### posts and arguing in here. 

What a terrible and unnecessary post.  Be better.  

And, I’m not at all convinced that Gekko will even accept (his own) challenge if he can’t just post links. 
:lmao:   Can't post links.  Who's making the rules again?

When someone makes a LOOK AT ME thread or better know as VERSUS they open themselves up to criticism.  HTH 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread