What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 College football thread - Auburn’s gotta Auburn. (1 Viewer)

Univ. of Florida is in Florida still but adding those schools just divides the same pie up by more schools.  You have to add new markets and new teams would cause a higher payout per team in a contract negotiation.  UCLA, USC, Oregon, and Stanford would do that.  And you could schedule it easily for the East Coast teams to go out west once a year.  Now those schools would have to come East a lot and yeah that might be a huge problem.  But if that's the only way all these schools compete and survive then I'm sure they would do it.

ESPN shouldn't let the ACC fail though as they own the network and tv rights.  I don't know what the hell will happen but I'm pretty sure Vanderbilt won't be making 90 million a year while Clemson and FSU make 30 million a year or whatever the damn difference will be.  
Dude you are crazy

It makes no sense to expand out west. Why would USC, UCLA, etc come east to play Duke, BC, or Syracuse. There’s NOTHING in it for them. No additional strength of schedule.

PAC-12 has FOX as a rights holder & ACC has ESPN; how do you resolve that?  FOX isn’t going to give it up, especially if their other conference is dissolving before all of us. ESPN only has so much cash; plus they’re going to want to lock up the 12 team playoff while they have exclusive negotiation rights. If anything, I can see the Worldwide Leader cutting bait on the ACC when their deal is over. 
Because the combined TV rights money would be a lot higher than they currently get?

I don't get how they work around the big 12 contract on rights thru 2025.  

All my tcu and Baylor peeps are melting down.  This is beyond catastrophic 

Four conferences, 16 teams each. Top four in each conference qualify for the playoffs. Not in the Super 64? Pound sand.

I don't get how they work around the big 12 contract on rights thru 2025.  

All my tcu and Baylor peeps are melting down.  This is beyond catastrophic 
Major buyout paid over several years?  Sue to secede?  The jump probably wouldn't happen for a couple years.  I'm sure they've thought this through if they've been working on it for a while.  :shrug:  

I do feel terrible for the core Big 8 teams that OU would be leaving, but ultimately Mizzou, CU, and Nebraska are the ones to blame there. That ship sailed a long time ago. Zero sympathy for these second-rate Texas schools, best of luck chumps. Not like they’ve been conference partners for a very long time in the grand scheme of things. 

I kinda think realignment is a long-term mistake for the health of college football. If you focus solely on media money and new college traditions don't form, you gradually erode the fanbase. Great decision for the next 20 years, but could be disastrous in as little as 25.

I kinda think realignment is a long-term mistake for the health of college football. If you focus solely on media money and new college traditions don't form, you gradually erode the fanbase. Great decision for the next 20 years, but could be disastrous in as little as 25.
Good point. The whole model is just so silly, it wouldn’t surprise me if major college athletics as we know it today doesn’t really exist in 50 years. We know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is not the best way to produce professional athletes, but we have no real international competition in the sports we care about so there’s no need to change. There’s a reason the MLS has fully embraced the academy model and going forward we won’t see very many players with professional aspirations go the NCAA route in soccer. 

I refuse to believe the TV rights money is anything other than a bubble that will eventually pop, but every time a league has their rights come up they seem to get an astronomical deal, so we are clearly not there yet. 

I do feel terrible for the core Big 8 teams that OU would be leaving, but ultimately Mizzou, CU, and Nebraska are the ones to blame there. That ship sailed a long time ago. Zero sympathy for these second-rate Texas schools, best of luck chumps. Not like they’ve been conference partners for a very long time in the grand scheme of things. 
Yeah - UT and OU will get a lot of grief and maybe some deserved but the dominoes have been falling for a while.  

Maybe - I totally get your point but the people that will be season ticket holders in 20-25 years are the kids of today who don’t give a rats ### that Nebraska and Oklahoma used to be the biggest rivalry in the sport.  They don’t care about conference affiliation and tradition.  

Maybe - I totally get your point but the people that will be season ticket holders in 20-25 years are the kids of today who don’t give a rats ### that Nebraska and Oklahoma used to be the biggest rivalry in the sport.  They don’t care about conference affiliation and tradition.  
Which is my point about "new" traditions.

College sports have such a unique relationship with their communities.

I understand why people think this.  Other schools (like Texas) were exploring options before the schools mentioned above decided to jump.  They found a safe landing place before they thought the whole thing was going to crumble.  Might have turned out to be the best decision after all.

I would feel bad for Iowa State if they don't find a good spot.  Pretty good school.  Improved football program with a good coach.  I'm sure Campbell wouldn't stay around long unless they land in a P5.  Don't really care that much about the others.

Imagine being Iowa State fan right now. Getting ready to play maybe your most anticipated season ever and in 3 years you’ll be playing USF. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I have similar feelings about KState too, have lots of friends who went there and they are super bummed. KU will be fine, their basketball team is one of the more valuable NCAA properties. Ok State will hopefully be fine as well. Baylor, TCU, and Tech i can’t drum up any sympathy. ACC should snag WVU 

Yeah - UT and OU will get a lot of grief and maybe some deserved but the dominoes have been falling for a while.  
I’m no Big 12 historian but it’s my understanding that the Missouri, Nebraska, Colorado moves were all preemptive for this exact reason. They knew at some point OU and (especially) Texas would #### everyone else in the conference. And they were all sick of Texas. 

I think that we eventually have a situation where one of these conferences says “#### it”, goes after top tier teams, expands to 30+ teams and comes up with their own playoff system and tells the NCAA to pound sand. 

Then we will have whatever that new league names itself with a yearly champion. What is left of the NCAA will crown their own playoff champion. 

I’d be cool with that.

I’m no Big 12 historian but it’s my understanding that the Missouri, Nebraska, Colorado moves were all preemptive for this exact reason. They new at some point OU and (especially) Texas would #### everyone else in the conference. And they were all sick of Texas. 
This.  All of this.  They jumped before the boat sank.  TT, Baylor and ISU are looking for a lifeboat at this point.

This.  All of this.  They jumped before the boat sank.  TT, Baylor and ISU are looking for a lifeboat at this point.
I dunno about that. They boat wouldn’t have sank if they hadn’t jumped. I don’t think it was pre-emptive in the sense that they thought others would leave. They were just sick of Texas and had offers from bigger conferences with more money on the table 

I dunno about that. They boat wouldn’t have sank if they hadn’t jumped. I don’t think it was pre-emptive in the sense that they thought others would leave. They were just sick of Texas and had offers from bigger conferences with more money on the table 
It was a, "We are exploring options to leave.  HOW DARE YOU LEAVE!" situation.

I agree that "exploring options" does not equal leaving, but can you blame them for leaving?

ETA:  I don't think Colorado to the PAC was a new idea.  The timing just turned out to be the best when they did finally move.

Well, well, well... This is interesting. AAC may look to poach Big 12 teams.

That would be one way to go from G5 to P5; swallow a whole other conference.

According to The Athletic, citing high-ranking sources within the AAC, the conference "plans to act as an aggressor" and "will try to poach the Big 12's leftovers, potentially as a group."

The only real college tradition is the money grab by universities.

But why would the remaining Big 12 teams do that? There is no guarantee that the AAC would just become a P5. I would imagine that they will be picked up individually by the PAC, BIG and ACC. But who knows?
Not sure who the B10 would be interested in.  Iowa St would be a natural, doubt they want WVU.

Let's be honest.  They don't give a rats ### about college football.  That's going to be the biggest problem.  When our generation doesn't care anymore, it's really going to hell

I think that we eventually have a situation where one of these conferences says “#### it”, goes after top tier teams, expands to 30+ teams and comes up with their own playoff system and tells the NCAA to pound sand. 

Then we will have whatever that new league names itself with a yearly champion. What is left of the NCAA will crown their own playoff champion. 

I’d be cool with that.
Not only that but when in the SEC going to boot Vandy or Arkansas to replace them with teams like Clemson or FSU?  Why keep schools like them around?

I think Mizzou ends up in the BIG 10. They will also pursue ND. If ND goes to the BIG, the ACC is going to crumble.
WVU fans have been saying this for 25 years because they can't get in.   The ACC is going to be fine until any of their current members (Clemson, FSU, UNC, UVA) start leaving.  Then they are in trouble. 

Notre Dame can't go to the Big 10 until 2036

Imo the smartest thing the ACC could do if they couldn’t get some merger together with other conferences is grab West Virginia and Ok State and leave the rest alone. Those are two strong mid-20s programs that will improve football. 

Having OKS all the way out their on their own with no close regional partner would be weird/tough but I don’t see how that school would get into a better place. 

Imo the smartest thing the ACC could do if they couldn’t get some merger together with other conferences is grab West Virginia and Ok State and leave the rest alone. Those are two strong mid-20s programs that will improve football. 

Having OKS all the way out their on their own with no close regional partner would be weird/tough but I don’t see how that school would get into a better place. 
How about OKS and Kansas?  KU fits in nicely for basketball and closer to Okie State for a package.

I think KU would also be nice in the B1G.

This is all just spitballing.  :shrug:  

How about OKS and Kansas?  KU fits in nicely for basketball and closer to Okie State for a package.

I think KU would also be nice in the B1G.

This is all just spitballing.  :shrug:  
I don’t think it would be wise for the ACC to make their football worse, but it would definitely make for awesome hoops games. 

WVU fans have been saying this for 25 years because they can't get in.   The ACC is going to be fine until any of their current members (Clemson, FSU, UNC, UVA) start leaving.  Then they are in trouble. 

Notre Dame can't go to the Big 10 until 2036
And the B10 prefers schools in Markets that don’t get the B10 network.  South Bend gets it already.

Symbolic?

House Bill 298 — filed by Rep. Dustin Burrows, R-Lubbock— has more than 30 co-authors but is effectively a symbolic move to express the lawmakers’ displeasure. The bill is unrelated to any of the topics placed on Gov. Greg Abbott’s special session agenda, which means it’s ineligible to be passed into law. - Texas Tribune

Reddit is great for this stuff.  Texas is taking a beating, and OU is just kind of  :whistle:  in the corner.  :lmao:  

I think Mizzou ends up in the BIG 10. They will also pursue ND. If ND goes to the BIG, the ACC is going to crumble.
They're getting like $60 million from the $EC; why would they want to leave?  Let Bama, LSU, Georgia, and Florida do the heavy lifting to make money for the conference.  All they have to do is put forth a decent team and let the :moneybag:  roll in.

Actually what may make the most sense if the ACC gets raided somehow, - Syracuse, BC, Pitt.
The ACC is going to get raided 100%.  If the last expansion was market driven and this one is brand driven then I totally see Clemson and/or FSU jumping ship within 18 months to secure their spot at the big boy table.  Why in the hell would they stick around when they could make almost double the money in the SEC?

The ACC is going to get raided 100%.  If the last expansion was market driven and this one is brand driven then I totally see Clemson and/or FSU jumping ship within 18 months to secure their spot at the big boy table.  Why in the hell would they stick around when they could make almost double the money in the SEC?
15 years left in the grant of rights for starters. 

Users who are viewing this thread