What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 College football thread - Auburn’s gotta Auburn. (3 Viewers)

Can someone explain to me why almost every “expert” thinks Iowa St. to the Big10 is a great idea? Because of the AAU affiliation? When did Iowa St. become Florida St. of the 90’s? They already have a school from Iowa, why would they add a second? It makes no to me

Can someone explain to me why almost every “expert” thinks Iowa St. to the Big10 is a great idea? Because of the AAU affiliation? When did Iowa St. become Florida St. of the 90’s? They already have a school from Iowa, why would they add a second? It makes no to me
Feels like a Rutgers starter kit.  Team getting some good results against poor competition then will vanish from the earth in a deep conference. 

Espn holds the cards for SEC and ACC.  Its in their best interest to make something work out for all parties.  I didnt see Jays comment so I am not sure of the context but I have to assume that is what he is referring to.   ESPN can mitigate some sort of union between the 2 conferences. 
Independent media is few and far between, but we can be sure there's some great stories in this saga waiting for a good journalist.   I doubt one shows up. 

One could pose, and I am sure someone has before I joined this thread, that ESPN would have been better off leaving the SEC alone and strengthening the ACC to ensure its top-tier status and thus putting their thumbs on the scale of a Texas and OU move to the ACC.   There are plenty of reports that said UT/OU and the ACC were flirting.  How/why those flirtations got bogged down other than the obvious factor that there's vastly more money in the SEC (with or without thumbs on the scale) and how it turned out that ESPN is now left with NFL-lite with the SEC along with a clearly 2nd-tier ACC-- that's something many would want to learn about, but probably never will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jay Bilas is saying the ACC should beg the SEC for a merger.  I don't see that happening unless the SEC is trying to replace the NCAA but if it did and the SEC wanted 8-9 of the ACC and leave out Wake, Pitt, BC, and Syracuse what happens to the GOR?  Do they go away because the conference doesn't exist?  Certain number of votes?
I suppose it would depend on how many are leaving , but for starters the schools moving on would seek to settle with those without an immediate new home.  The more that want to leave, one could ponder that there's less of a conference that exists to even enforce the provision.  Wouldnt it be nice to get a hold of that contract language.   It's sort of like if 49 states were to secede and Vermont decides not to secede, who keeps all the Federal assets in Hawaii or anywhere else? Vermont?  Obviously not the best analogy, but you get the point.  

I suppose it would depend on how many are leaving , but for starters the schools moving on would seek to settle with those without an immediate new home.  The more that want to leave, one could ponder that there's less of a conference that exists to even enforce the provision.  Wouldnt it be nice to get a hold of that contract language.   It's sort of like if 49 states were to secede and Vermont decides not to secede, who keeps all the Federal assets in Hawaii or anywhere else? Vermont?  Obviously not the best analogy, but you get the point.  
Why would more than like the 4 that would be going to the SEC want to leave? Syracuse isn’t going to want to join Conference USA. 

I would like it because of proximity and them being an old Big 8 team, but that's about as far as it goes and I don't get a vote.  The more I thought about it the other day, the less sense it made. 

Maybe if the B1G thought they "had to" add someone, but there are probably better choices to go after.  If the better football programs leave the ACC, I wonder what Notre Dame chooses to do?

I think it’ll be a good move, natural rivals with Nebraska, Iowa, and Minn.  

Why would more than like the 4 that would be going to the SEC want to leave? Syracuse isn’t going to want to join Conference USA.  

…agree that the baseline path is Big 10 maybe tries to pluck some ACC and therefore not more than a few go.   But I’d be foolish to think it ends there.  Schools that “sold their soul” for the last round of expansion might not have enough incentive to stick around and we could see a reformulation of an eastern conference (among other possibilities).

Steve Tasker said:
Maybe this is outdated thinking, but I still think Syracuse and Pitt are a package deal.

Would be interesting to see Cuse in the Big 10.  If you consider Rutgers to have delivered the NYC media market, then Cuse doesn't add any major markets, but I'm pretty sure NYC is more of a Cuse town than a Rutgers town.  Cuse is still "NY state's team"; they're still the athletics flagship for the entire state.

Pitt brings Pittsburgh, but I'm curious how much of Pittsburgh the Big 10 already has with the Penn State connections.  I don't know enough about Pittsburgh to know.
I still chuckle that Rutgers outmaneuvered all of them and yet the media gives them zero credit for engineering the equivalent of a powerball jackpot while the BC/Syracuse/Pitt brands all get pummeled by 50% less cash, bad tv slots and bad performances in the ACC.  

The BCS drove so much of the realignment scenarios 10 years ago.  With that fading into the sunset one could see a path if a few more dominoes fall a certain way where purists from the ACC and “Big East”, resigned to previously playing second fiddle due to the sheer amount of money differences 10 years ago that aren’t holding up 10 years later— mutually decide to part ways and restore something closer to their traditional setup.  Those emotions are strong and real— and are held by those higher up the chain including Boeheim.  Just watch the breakup of the Big East 20 for 20 to get a taste of it.  What’s not said in that 20 for 20 is that there’s plenty of pride and desire for a more pure setup among many in the ACC too.  It just doesn’t get reported bc the ACC survived, but it’s still there.  If the money incentive is not as present as it was before, then that scenario becomes plausible at some point.  Maybe. 

…agree that the baseline path is Big 10 maybe tries to pluck some ACC and therefore not more than a few go.   But I’d be foolish to think it ends there.  Schools that “sold their soul” for the last round of expansion might not have enough incentive to stick around and we could see a reformulation of an eastern conference (among other possibilities).
Considering the BIG won’t be taking Clemson FSU or Miami who exactly would they want out of there? Ok, I could see UNC but who else? The plate is empty. Even if they took Duke, that’s only 5-6 out of 14 members who would want to dissolve. 

As far as I can tell truly the only way out for the big football teams is espn saying we are going to shuffle these teams to the sec and keep the acc contract as is in place. 

Considering the BIG won’t be taking Clemson FSU or Miami who exactly would they want out of there? Ok, I could see UNC but who else? The plate is empty. Even if they took Duke, that’s only 5-6 out of 14 members who would want to dissolve. 

As far as I can tell truly the only way out for the big football teams is espn saying we are going to shuffle these teams to the sec and keep the acc contract as is in place. 
I’ve seen UVA and GT mentioned along with UNC.  Pitt too.  Syracuse and Pitt would be delighted of course.  And those scenarios would tear the heart out of a reformation of the Big East *and* ACC— but not the Big East *or* ACC.

Clemson, FSU, Miami, NC State, and VT to the SEC?   UVA, Duke, UNC, GT to the B1G?  But that would require all 3 conferences to be in on dissolving the ACC and screwing over the leftover teams.

The more I think about it, the more I think a network merger with the PAC-12 makes sense so there's a third super conference.  Have enough crossover games to create more good content like everyone plays 1 home and 1 away game a year against someone on the other coast.

Clemson, FSU, Miami, NC State, and VT to the SEC?   UVA, Duke, UNC, GT to the B1G?  But that would require all 3 conferences to be in on dissolving the ACC and screwing over the leftover teams.

The more I think about it, the more I think a network merger with the PAC-12 makes sense so there's a third super conference.  Have enough crossover games to create more good content like everyone plays 1 home and 1 away game a year against someone on the other coast.
There’s no reason to kick this scenario to the side.  Fox 49% ownership of the low-carriage PAC12 network would be a hurdle, but there’s hurdles in every downstream scenario. 

I’ve seen UVA and GT mentioned along with UNC.  Pitt too.  Syracuse and Pitt would be delighted of course.  And those scenarios would tear the heart out of a reformation of the Big East *and* ACC— but not the Big East *or* ACC.
There is absolutely no way the BIG is taking Pitt and or Syracuse. Virginia and GT are fine programs with great academics but they also don’t add any television eyeballs. Can’t see any of them going to the Big 10.

If this was 2010 I could see Tech due to being in Atlanta but these has switched from wanting big markets to who brings eyeballs as a ‘brand’. 

Yes this is also a conceivable idea but how much does that improve the tv contracts? Clemson/USC and or Oregon/FSU annually adds value but nobody is watching Wazzou/Wake Forest 

There is absolutely no way the BIG is taking Pitt and or Syracuse. Virginia and GT are fine programs with great academics but they also don’t add any television eyeballs. Can’t see any of them going to the Big 10.

If this was 2010 I could see Tech due to being in Atlanta but these has switched from wanting big markets to who brings eyeballs as a ‘brand’. 
Tend to agree.  But here we have articles literally spelling out how Pitt could get an invite. This could get whacky.  It could be one and done.  While I wouldn’t sign up for any one scenario as even close to likely, i would say (and I’m guessing you’d agree) that there will be some sort of downstream move that can lead to more dominoes falling. 

Yes this is also a conceivable idea but how much does that improve the tv contracts? Clemson/USC and or Oregon/FSU annually adds value but nobody is watching Wazzou/Wake Forest 
Well the ND/USC and ND/Stanford games assuming both happen.  Miami gets ratings and whoever is currently good like UNC this year would too.  

But I think the money in that deal is putting the network on all the providers in all the major cities on the East Coast and West Coast.  

Tend to agree.  But here we have articles literally spelling out how Pitt could get an invite. This could get whacky.  It could be one and done.  While I wouldn’t sign up for any one scenario as even close to likely, i would say (and I’m guessing you’d agree) that there will be some sort of downstream move that can lead to more dominoes falling. 
Yea I think ultimately it ends with some sort of scenario where the bottom half of the ACC is getting a lot less money in some future tv contract. Not sure how it all plays out though. 

I do think the sec’s ultimate goal (other than obvious tv money) is dominating the 12 team playoff. To get 6-8 teams annually in that they probably need at least 20 teams. What a fiasco. 

Imagine a situation where 3 SEC teams make the playoffs in the current format .  It's not that unrealistic now. Bama can only play so many teams.

They already have multiple states with 2 schools in the conference, what’s one more? Honestly, they’d probably benefit from just leaning into the whole Midwest thing, and running with it.

A B1G/P12 alliance seems like the more likely first move.

They already have multiple states with 2 schools in the conference, what’s one more? Honestly, they’d probably benefit from just leaning into the whole Midwest thing, and running with it.
Purdue and NW would never get in now if they were in another conference and were begging to get in. The thing no one ever mentions when they talk B10 expansion is they are looking for flagship state universities. Schools like Pitt, Syracuse, Cincy are not getting an invitation, no matter how great an academic school they are or how good their football team is. Right now there is no school that checks all the boxes. And if they even want to expand, how many teams they want to go to 

A B1G/P12 alliance seems like the more likely first move.
Could see that maybe but not sure how it benefits Big 10. They already make more than the SEC and will continue to clean up financially mo matter what - honestly they are the one conference who really can just sit still and do nothing. 

ESPN: Biggest questions, next step for each league.

I thought this was significant regarding the Big Ten:

The Big Ten should not counter the SEC's splashy move by adding schools just for the sake of adding. Sources say Big Ten presidents remain somewhat picky about candidates, and they would strongly prefer those with similar academic profiles and, ideally, membership in the Association of American Universities. Iowa State and Kansas are AAU members with some pluses on their profiles, but neither would make an obvious dent in what the SEC is building. Warren has reached another critical moment in his short but turbulent tenure, and the entire conference is watching. The onus is really on him since nearly half the league has newer presidents or chancellors.
In fact, you could make the case that - absent ND joining - the best thing B1G could do is stand pat.

SI: PAC-12 sizes up it's next move

For now, the league’s new commissioner, George Kliavkoff, is attempting to preserve his own membership at a time of uncertainty, keeping together the group and its golden goose, USC, while also weighing the possibility of adding more. The Pac-12 is receiving significant interest from suitors about expansion, Kliavkoff told reporters here Tuesday. And while they’re listening, conference leaders are more than happy to remain at 12 teams, he says.

Some administrators believe that none of the remaining eight Big 12 teams offer value to the conference—they would not increase the league distribution. Others say programs such as TCU, in the Dallas-area hub, is attractive, as well as Kansas’ basketball program.

The more this marinates the more this feels like the end of CFB as we know it. Major college football is essentially going to be the NFL’s U-23 league, way more so than in the past. It’ll lead to better players and a higher level of competition, but a lot of what we love about CFB is dead and buried. 

The more this marinates the more this feels like the end of CFB as we know it. Major college football is essentially going to be the NFL’s U-23 league, way more so than in the past. It’ll lead to better players and a higher level of competition, but a lot of what we love about CFB is dead and buried. 
I guess that depends on what you love about college football. As long as the Universities still sponsor the teams, I don't know that much will change. I mean - I am a Michigan fan. I don't really care if I lose the Ball State or Eastern Michigan game or whatever. I'd rather have those games against P5 teams. 

But as long as they are in the Maize and Blue and playing the fight song - what is going to be so drastically different?

I guess that depends on what you love about college football. As long as the Universities still sponsor the teams, I don't know that much will change. I mean - I am a Michigan fan. I don't really care if I lose the Ball State or Eastern Michigan game or whatever. I'd rather have those games against P5 teams. 

But as long as they are in the Maize and Blue and playing the fight song - what is going to be so drastically different?
I hear you. I don’t think it’s going to go away or anything, not within the next 50 years or so, and as you said we’re all just rooting for laundry anyways so as long as they have the right shirt on a lot of people will be invested. I just think it’ll change in ways we might even be able to predict at this moment. 

Perhaps what you mean is that the illusion of amateurism and rah rah zis boom bah has been stripped away for all to see.  The even the most naive college football fan finally sees the man behind the curtain.  There will still be Saturday morning tailgates, degenerate gamblers wagering on the games, and pretty girls cheering on the sidelines.  The fundamental elements will never IMO change; what the game becomes as a defacto developmental league for the NFL will be front and center.

I'm of two minds on this. My alma mater is a D3 school an hour away from me that allows me to enjoy the game at its purest (not Ivory snow clean, but you know what I mean).  OTOH, I root in D1 for Penn State, a school that may (probably) make the cut to the rarefied air of the college football elite.  Even then, they may still end up as a middling program amongst the Bamas, NDs and duhOSUs of the football world.

Yep

Big 12 is claiming to have hard evidence that ESPN has been actively working to break up the conference by getting another school to drop as well. 

Which of course is true but it will be interesting if they can really prove it. 

Big 12 is claiming to have hard evidence that ESPN has been actively working to break up the conference by getting another school to drop as well. 

@byjoelanderson: Interesting that this story drops two days after an interview on the @LeBatardShow, where it comes out that ESPN basically gave UT money for the Longhorn Network so they wouldn’t go to the PAC-12 a decade ago. https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1420505265452032014

Can't wait to see the 30 for 30 about this.  :popcorn:

These guys with potential to get 7 figure NIL deals, can they and/or the schools strike a deal so they can use their scholarships for other football players?  Sponsors can pay for the superstar's school tuition (who am I kidding, they aren't going to class)... can the team use that available scholarship to bring in another 4 star?  

Could this mess with the potential amount of scholarships available?  

These guys with potential to get 7 figure NIL deals, can they and/or the schools strike a deal so they can use their scholarships for other football players?  Sponsors can pay for the superstar's school tuition (who am I kidding, they aren't going to class)... can the team use that available scholarship to bring in another 4 star?  

Could this mess with the potential amount of scholarships available?  

I mean absolutely.  Plus, (and I'm 100% just speculating not doing any demographic social commentary) just getting a little bit of FAFSA support from knowledgeable people inside higher education can dramatically reduce the cost of education for those that qualify, pushing this onto the taxpayer.  Neat. 

The more likely situation is the first couple years go on scholarship, then move the ones that are marginal onto NIL deals making way for portal transfers where you have schools bidding for kids. 

I do weep for bagmen though. 

Users who are viewing this thread