What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 College football thread - Auburn’s gotta Auburn. (3 Viewers)

Saban's first out of the gate....I'm kinda surprised, but I get it.  I can't believe we didn't start hearing about millions of dollars in endorsements right out of the gate.  It's the perfect marketing tool.  We have zero clue if what these coaches are/will be saying is true or not.

He spent years establishing himself and has worked his way to the top of his profession. 

I'm not criticizing the amount of money Saban makes. Its fine. He's the best coach in college football - maybe the best ever.

I just think its silly for him to call what his QB makes "ungodly" when he makes way more.

Why bother with recruiting visits for 5 stars?  Bag men don't have to try and hide it any more (if they ever did try). Now big fish can openly recruit top talent.  "Hey, Trevon... we'd love to sign you for a couple of promotional events next year.  We're just going to need you to choose to play at Ohio State*.  Can you do that for us? Great."

* insert any team here with sufficient funds to compete.

Jayrok said:
Why bother with recruiting visits for 5 stars?  Bag men don't have to try and hide it any more (if they ever did try). Now big fish can openly recruit top talent.  "Hey, Trevon... we'd love to sign you for a couple of promotional events next year.  We're just going to need you to choose to play at Ohio State*.  Can you do that for us? Great."

Yeah those all read like positive developments to me. 

Also want to give the NCAA credit for how they've handled it once it was inevitable it was going to happen. Basically getting out of it entirely, and leaving it up to schools. We're moving towards the NCAA having nothing to do with major CFB, and it's going to be great. The NIL is going to be a boon for college athletics. 

Yeah those all read like positive developments to me. 

Also want to give the NCAA credit for how they've handled it once it was inevitable it was going to happen. Basically getting out of it entirely, and leaving it up to schools. We're moving towards the NCAA having nothing to do with major CFB, and it's going to be great. The NIL is going to be a boon for college athletics. 
It may just consider some folks to stay in school longer. Which would be great for fans.

It may just consider some folks to stay in school longer. Which would be great for fans.
Yep. Will be huge for some non-revenue sports as well. Some of the OU women's softball team would have been able to pull home six figures this year. 

Jayrok said:

Super.

At what point is a conference not a conference anymore? I mean, with 16 teams, teams from the West will go like 7 years without playing a team from the east. 

Bama, AU, UGA, UF, Tenn same division with rotating Texas, TAMU, LSU, Oklahoma?  9-10 conference schedule? Sign me up!

So, realignment back on the table. If Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC, I would assume that Big 10 would try to plunder the ACC again to get to 16 and try to get Virginia and North Carolina. Or maybe Notre Dame finally sees the writing on the wall. If the ACC loses two or more schools I could see them snatching teams from a dying Big 12 like Kansas. But who else would they grab? Cincinnati or Memphis?

This leaves my WVU and a handful of teams to rebuild the Big 12 with teams like Houston and BYU?

So, realignment back on the table. If Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC, I would assume that Big 10 would try to plunder the ACC again to get to 16 and try to get Virginia and North Carolina. Or maybe Notre Dame finally sees the writing on the wall. If the ACC loses two or more schools I could see them snatching teams from a dying Big 12 like Kansas. But who else would they grab? Cincinnati or Memphis?

This leaves my WVU and a handful of teams to rebuild the Big 12 with teams like Houston and BYU?
If the ACC loses 2 schools, they will all leave and you'll end up with 2 dumber than dumb sized conferences and the PAC-12 out west.  The B1G would want some combination of Georgia Tech (ATL market), UNC, UVA, and ND?    Clemson, Miami and FSU aren't getting left out of anything.  I doubt NC State and Va. Tech do either.  Wake Forest, Louisville, Syracuse, BC, maybe Pittsburgh, maybe Duke would end up in the same boat as Oklahoma State, WVU, Iowa State, Kansas, K-State, Baylor, TCU, and Texas Tech and probably create their own conference  The next 3 years should be entertaining at least.

Texas is just squeezing the Big 12. No way they just want to be another fish in the pond in the SEC. 

@Dave_Matter: Drinkwitz says he asked Greg Sankey if Horns Down will be a 15-yard penalty in the SEC. "He gave me a strong rebuttal: No comment."

If Texas is serious about leaving the Big 12, the Big Ten would be crazy not to make a run at them.

When OU and Texas join the SEC.  OU season tickets are going to be $$$$. Will be nice traveling to SEC schools for new games.  

Hmmmmmm.....Manhattan Kansas or Oxford Mississippi for game day?  Waco or Baton Rouge?  
I was thinking rent my house out to some SEC fans for the weekend.  Pick up from airport say on a Friday. I could cook them some BBQ Friday night, and shuttle them to and from the game Saturday. Take them to airport Sunday.  Rinse/Repeat.   Wonder if I could become rich? 

Texas A&M is the France of college football; arrogant and condescending for no apparent reason. 
Fixed.

At least UT has won something in sports in the last few generations.  I want Texas in for no other reason than to piss aggie off.  They do not want UT in.
France also tends to be a really good soccer team. 2 out of the last 6 world cups. Aggie doesn't win much of anything. Maybe England is a better compare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed.

At least UT has won something in sports in the last few generations.  I want Texas in for no other reason than to piss aggie off.  They do not want UT in.
Seeing Bjork squirm in these interviews is hilarious.  I'm all for it.  Not that any of this matters for us Miss State fans, but the current system does us no favors.  I'd love to see the SEC go to four  4 team divisions.  Have 3 permanent opponents and rotate everyone else.  

Tex, OU, Ark, Mizzou
A&M, LSU, MSU, UM
Bama, AU, Tenn, Vandy
UF, UGA, USC, Kentucky

Seeing Bjork squirm in these interviews is hilarious.  I'm all for it.  Not that any of this matters for us Miss State fans, but the current system does us no favors.  I'd love to see the SEC go to four  4 team divisions.  Have 3 permanent opponents and rotate everyone else.  

Tex, OU, Ark, Mizzou
A&M, LSU, MSU, UM
Bama, AU, Tenn, Vandy
UF, UGA, USC, Kentucky
That’s definitely the way to do it for scheduling purposes but then how do you have an sec title game?

Per Mike Vernon Bleacher Report, KANSAS has a call set up with B1G. Kansas. 
Why?  The B1G has plenty of money and teams.  The only value to them would be adding Notre Dame or getting an ACC market they want (UVA, UNC, GT, FSU/Miami).  The only other teams or markets left to go get assuming the SEC, B1G, and ACC don't fold are the PAC-12 teams which would just be weird.   If the ACC doesn't get ND and a bigger yearly contract, those desirable teams will end up folding into the B1G and SEC over the next decade and there will just be 2 super conferences and teams like Wake Forest will end up like Iowa State and West Va.

This will be interesting to see them put it into action. Is there anything stopping the SEC from dropping the underperforming teams? I’m not sure how exciting Texas-Vanderbilt would be 

I was thinking rent my house out to some SEC fans for the weekend.  Pick up from airport say on a Friday. I could cook them some BBQ Friday night, and shuttle them to and from the game Saturday. Take them to airport Sunday.  Rinse/Repeat.   Wonder if I could become rich? 
Not a bad idea, TBH.  If these happen to be co-eds from Oxford, I'll fly in and help ya.

That’s definitely the way to do it for scheduling purposes but then how do you have an sec title game?
SEC playoffs!  That would be awesome.  Somehow lets get the schedule down to 11 games.  9 conference games and 2 OOC games.  Everyone is tired of these nonsense OOC games. 

Each division champ, makes the SEC playoffs. Maybe higher seeds host game 1, then the winners meet in ATL?  

Gave this some thought last night.  With OU going into the portal and joining the SEC the upside to more money,  primetime games, new places for fans to travel,  and having what is left of ESPN pimping for them/SEC are all wins. 

Should Sooner fans start chanting SEC during their games this year or wait?

Why?  The B1G has plenty of money and teams.  The only value to them would be adding Notre Dame or getting an ACC market they want (UVA, UNC, GT, FSU/Miami).  The only other teams or markets left to go get assuming the SEC, B1G, and ACC don't fold are the PAC-12 teams which would just be weird.   If the ACC doesn't get ND and a bigger yearly contract, those desirable teams will end up folding into the B1G and SEC over the next decade and there will just be 2 super conferences and teams like Wake Forest will end up like Iowa State and West Va.
Kansas basketball is what’s in play here, along with academics. ND is never giving up the NBC cash cow to slum around in any conference. 

You can make a case for UVA as the academics are in line with the B1G. There’s almost no chance they take a Florida school. 

Users who are viewing this thread