What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 College football thread - Auburn’s gotta Auburn. (3 Viewers)

I'd be nervous if I was a G5 coach. Those conferences are gonna get shut out. Schools might decide it's more feasible to drop to 1-AA and cut costs. 

Kansas basketball is what’s in play here, along with academics. ND is never giving up the NBC cash cow to slum around in any conference. 

You can make a case for UVA as the academics are in line with the B1G. There’s almost no chance they take a Florida school. 
Come get GT (academics and the Atlanta market).  :)

Kansas basketball is what’s in play here, along with academics. ND is never giving up the NBC cash cow to slum around in any conference. 

You can make a case for UVA as the academics are in line with the B1G. There’s almost no chance they take a Florida school. 
Academics isn’t even on the list at this point.  It’s all about money now

@kbohls: The SEC currently is hoping to vote to offer invitations to Texas and Oklahoma as soon as "sometime next week," an SEC source tells me. "The vote will be 13-1."

Love conference realignment talk.   Sure is a lot of drama if this is just OU and TX trying to squeeze a little more from a TV contract or a bigger slice of the pie from the conference.  :popcorn:  

Going to be some schools in a tough spot if this isn't just smoke.  

Love conference realignment talk.   Sure is a lot of drama if this is just OU and TX trying to squeeze a little more from a TV contract or a bigger slice of the pie from the conference.  :popcorn:  

Going to be some schools in a tough spot if this isn't just smoke.  
seems certain to be real this time

Laugh at @Tom Servo he mentioned the B1G academics.  I'm sure GT would fit right in there and has the Atlanta market to bring if all hell breaks loose again.
GT would be a fit anywhere academics wise but they won’t increase the Big’s tv contract. Why would the other schools cut their share of the revenue for them? Or Kansas? I’ll be shocked if the Big expands unless they could take down Notre Dame somehow. 

Last edited by a moderator:
GT would be a fit anywhere economics wise but they won’t increase the Big’s tv contract. Why would the other schools cut their share of the revenue for them? Or Kansas? I’ll be shocked if the Big expands unless they could take down Notre Dame somehow. 
I would tend to agree.  If they want KU for basketball, someone else is getting dragged along as an ugly wingman.  A better bet would be a revamped B12 would lesser lights taking OU and UT's places.

Maize and Brew article on who might best fit the B1G

How do we think this ends up? 4 leagues of 16 teams? 40-60 teams that are in a football league outside of the NCAA?

I mean - are schools like Ok State, TCU, TxTech just completely ####ed now? I can't see any incentive for Big/Pac to take any of them. Does the ACC stick together?

One thing I heard on a podcast that I found interesting - he suggested the Big Ten and Pac 12 should combine and form a league with 26 teams or whatever it is. Is that the future?

How do we think this ends up? 4 leagues of 16 teams? 40-60 teams that are in a football league outside of the NCAA?

I mean - are schools like Ok State, TCU, TxTech just completely ####ed now? I can't see any incentive for Big/Pac to take any of them. Does the ACC stick together?

One thing I heard on a podcast that I found interesting - he suggested the Big Ten and Pac 12 should combine and form a league with 26 teams or whatever it is. Is that the future?
Do these guys ever look at maps?  Do they realize how incredibly f'n hard it would be for these schools to travel back and forth for games?  Football, okay maybe an occasional long trip, but how about hoops?  Bases?  It's just not feasible.  There is *A LOT* of territory between the Big Ten and the Pac 12.  

Do these guys ever look at maps?  Do they realize how incredibly f'n hard it would be for these schools to travel back and forth for games?  Football, okay maybe an occasional long trip, but how about hoops?  Bases?  It's just not feasible.  There is *A LOT* of territory between the Big Ten and the Pac 12.  
I mean, if you have a 26 team "league", how often are you really playing teams in the other conference anyway. And maybe its just for football? Assuming football breaks away. 

I don't know. I just find it fascinating to see how this is all going to go down. 

Assuming Texas and OU join the SEC, no conference will ever be able to compete in football top to bottom. So what do the other ones do? Anything? And what do the also rans do?

Couldn't they just make there own champion.  Plenty of fans in the B1G and the Pac 12. Would they really even care who wins the SEC.
Pac 12 fans are about as passive a fan base as you can find.  The stupid Pac12 network wasn't available to anybody who had DirecTV or Dish.  This went on for over a decade and people out here just....lived with it.  Can you imagine that happening in SEC country?  There would be rampant revolt and things on fire.  Pac 12 fans just said "it is what it is". 

So no, by and large, Pac 12 fans don't really care who does what anywhere.  I mean, some do (I certainly do) - but by and large, this is an area of the country that isn't tethered to football.  

I think we’re seeing the beginning of football breaking away from the NCAA and becoming its own thing. I don’t expect the conferences to align from sport to sport

What happens to kids who underperform on their contact.  Just cut them from School? Guaranteed contracts?

I think we’re seeing the beginning of football breaking away from the NCAA and becoming its own thing. I don’t expect the conferences to align from sport to sport
I just think I don’t care at this point? CFB as we remember it is kind of ruined. There’s no traditions anymore. So there’s no more bedlam? So we can get OU-Miss State? I mean I get it is all driven by money but a 16 team SEC is just so ridiculous and stupid I don’t get how people will care. Will there be an SEC semifinal to make it to Atlanta?

Yeah football needs to do it’s own thing. And go back to common sense geographic conferences for basketball and other sports.  

I just think I don’t care at this point? CFB as we remember it is kind of ruined. There’s no traditions anymore. So there’s no more bedlam? So we can get OU-Miss State? I mean I get it is all driven by money but a 16 team SEC is just so ridiculous and stupid I don’t get how people will care. Will there be an SEC semifinal to make it to Atlanta?
Yeah, I think that’s just part of getting older too. 10 years ago during the last round of major realignment I probably made 5,000 posts here talking about it. Now I don’t really care either way. I kinda liked the 10 team round-robin even if the Big 12 was clearly not quite as good as the other major conferences, but this will be fun too.
Biggest impact to me living in KC is no road games in Lawrence and Manhattan and less banter with the KU/KState people in my life. It’s nice to do anything that upsets A&M fans though. 

Ramblin Wreck said:
Yeah football needs to do it’s own thing. And go back to common sense geographic conferences for basketball and other sports.  

Maybe there will be some kind or Big 10 or Pac-12/ACC merger for football only. Maybe not where they are a conference but they play 3 guaranteed games a year or something. Clemson/Ohio; FSU/USC would always draw eyeballs 

Moe. said:
Yeah, I think that’s just part of getting older too. 10 years ago during the last round of major realignment I probably made 5,000 posts here talking about it. Now I don’t really care either way. I kinda liked the 10 team round-robin even if the Big 12 was clearly not quite as good as the other major conferences, but this will be fun too.
Biggest impact to me living in KC is no road games in Lawrence and Manhattan and less banter with the KU/KState people in my life. It’s nice to do anything that upsets A&M fans though. 

Will definitely be cool to see OU/LSU conference games. I can dig that. 

Maybe there will be some kind or Big 10 or Pac-12/ACC merger for football only. Maybe not where they are a conference but they play 3 guaranteed games a year or something. Clemson/Ohio; FSU/USC would always draw eyeballs 
It would improve strength of schedule and get eyeballs in the product - maybe in prime time? Heck, Oregon vs. PSU/scUM/duhOSU would grab a good number. 

Jack McGuire @JackMacCFB

SEC has been in serious contact with Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, and Florida State. Not clear if this will materialize, but they have their eyes on a true 20 team MEGA conference. OU and Texas just the start.

Jack McGuire @JackMacCFB

SEC has been in serious contact with Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, and Florida State. Not clear if this will materialize, but they have their eyes on a true 20 team MEGA conference. OU and Texas just the start.
So the 12 team playoff will end up with 9 "SEC" teams and 3 others?

Jack McGuire @JackMacCFB

FSU and Clemson have like 15 years left on their grant of rights. Not sure how this is even remotely possible. Michigan leaving the Big 10 js the biggest pipe dream of them all 

Coach Morris Buttermaker said:
Big Ten has never taken a team that wasn't an AAU member

https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members

Nebraska was, but is no longer. Big Ten stresses academics, but times have changed. 
AAU research money is no joke. We're talking tens of *billions* annually flowing to those schools. It's not all going to the B1G but a real nice portion is. 
P-12 in a similar scenario in that 9 of the 12 are AAU schools, and the buzz has been they'd only want to admit others that are.  But they're in danger of falling so much farther behind in football and the related revenue than they already are that brand new commish George K. better be considering every option at this point. But at this point it seems more likely the conference is going to be left out.  Adding KU or Iowa St just doesn't help with recruiting or (more importantly) viewing markets, so what would be the point?

If this really turns into a full on game of musical chairs I could see Oregon, the LA schools, and maybe Washington trying to hitch their wagon to the Big 10.  

P-12 in a similar scenario in that 9 of the 12 are AAU schools, and the buzz has been they'd only want to admit others that are.  But they're in danger of falling so much farther behind in football and the related revenue than they already are that brand new commish George K. better be considering every option at this point. But at this point it seems more likely the conference is going to be left out.  Adding KU or Iowa St just doesn't help with recruiting or (more importantly) viewing markets, so what would be the point?

If this really turns into a full on game of musical chairs I could see Oregon, the LA schools, and maybe Washington trying to hitch their wagon to the Big 10.  
If I were the ACC I would be trying to figure out something with USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Stanford.  And hope the USC and Stanford thing could get some commitment out of ND.  Just figure out the scheduling but find a way to combine the TV deal for the non-conference games

It would improve strength of schedule and get eyeballs in the product - maybe in prime time? Heck, Oregon vs. PSU/scUM/duhOSU would grab a good number. 
Sure would. And add to the pot of money and the strength of schedule for the playoff. 

If I were the ACC I would be trying to figure out something with USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Stanford.  And hope the USC and Stanford thing could get some commitment out of ND.  Just figure out the scheduling but find a way to combine the TV deal for the non-conference games
ACC taking west coast teams is not happening, now or ever. 

ACC taking west coast teams is not happening, now or ever. 
There's nothing left on the East to expand with.  There's nothing leftover amongst the Big 12 to go get either.  I could easily see a football agreement with the PAC-12 schools since both are behind in yearly payments.   Or both become 2nd tier.

But Clemson and FSU aren't going to be a second tier system while Vanderbilt plays with the big boys.  This crap right now isn't sustainable for everyone.

There's nothing left on the East to expand with.  There's nothing leftover amongst the Big 12 to go get either.  I could easily see a football agreement with the PAC-12 schools since both are behind in yearly payments.   Or both become 2nd tier.

But Clemson and FSU aren't going to be a second tier system while Vanderbilt plays with the big boys.  This crap right now isn't sustainable for everyone.
Even if we’re talking football only, it’s costly to make multiple west coast trips in one season. 
There’s Cincy, USF, UCF - three schools who would kill to be in a P5 conference, plus you’d have the state of Florida all to yourself.  There are places east of the Mississippi to expand to. 

Even if we’re talking football only, it’s costly to make multiple west coast trips in one season. 
There’s Cincy, USF, UCF - three schools who would kill to be in a P5 conference, plus you’d have the state of Florida all to yourself.  There are places east of the Mississippi to expand to. 
Conferences would lose money in their shares by adding those teams. Does nothing, actively hurts. 

Univ. of Florida is in Florida still but adding those schools just divides the same pie up by more schools.  You have to add new markets and new teams would cause a higher payout per team in a contract negotiation.  UCLA, USC, Oregon, and Stanford would do that.  And you could schedule it easily for the East Coast teams to go out west once a year.  Now those schools would have to come East a lot and yeah that might be a huge problem.  But if that's the only way all these schools compete and survive then I'm sure they would do it.

ESPN shouldn't let the ACC fail though as they own the network and tv rights.  I don't know what the hell will happen but I'm pretty sure Vanderbilt won't be making 90 million a year while Clemson and FSU make 30 million a year or whatever the damn difference will be.  

Texas Tech Chancellor Has Blunt Message For Oklahoma, Texas

Like many across our state and within the footprint of our league, I’ve been extremely disappointed by the actions and intentions of our friends in Austin and Norman. From day one of the Big 12 Conference’s existence, Texas Tech has been a proud and trustworthy partner. As the landscape of collegiate athletics shifts, I can promise Red Raider Nation that our leadership will diligently pursue all options to best position Texas Tech for long-term success.

Tedd L. Mitchell, M.D.

@TeddLMitchell

Very blunt message indeed.

Mike Leslie of WFAA:

The Texas A&M Board of Regents will meet on Monday at 5 pm CT, "for discussion and possible action on contractual and governance issues relating to Texas A&M University and the Southeastern Conference."

Conferences would lose money in their shares by adding those teams. Does nothing, actively hurts. 
My kooky ### idea is go four divisions

Clemson, FSU, Miami, GT, Louisville, Pitt, and BC

UNC, Duke, NC State, WF, UVA, VT, and Syracuse

USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado

Texas Tech, TCU, Houston, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Arizona and Arizona State

Play your POD every year.  Play 1 team from each of the other PODs every year.   Keep a scheduling agreement with Notre Dame.  Sell the conference network to everyone.  Teams aren't flying three time zones three times a year.  Remove the dead weight like Wake Forest, Boston College and Syracuse and adjust accordingly.  Back to reality now

Mike Leslie of WFAA:

The Texas A&M Board of Regents will meet on Monday at 5 pm CT, "for discussion and possible action on contractual and governance issues relating to Texas A&M University and the Southeastern Conference."
oh they mad 

Univ. of Florida is in Florida still but adding those schools just divides the same pie up by more schools.  You have to add new markets and new teams would cause a higher payout per team in a contract negotiation.  UCLA, USC, Oregon, and Stanford would do that.  And you could schedule it easily for the East Coast teams to go out west once a year.  Now those schools would have to come East a lot and yeah that might be a huge problem.  But if that's the only way all these schools compete and survive then I'm sure they would do it.

ESPN shouldn't let the ACC fail though as they own the network and tv rights.  I don't know what the hell will happen but I'm pretty sure Vanderbilt won't be making 90 million a year while Clemson and FSU make 30 million a year or whatever the damn difference will be.  
It makes no sense to expand out west. Why would USC, UCLA, etc come east to play Duke, BC, or Syracuse. There’s NOTHING in it for them. No additional strength of schedule.

PAC-12 has FOX as a rights holder & ACC has ESPN; how do you resolve that?  FOX isn’t going to give it up, especially if their other conference is dissolving before all of us. ESPN only has so much cash; plus they’re going to want to lock up the 12 team playoff while they have exclusive negotiation rights. If anything, I can see the Worldwide Leader cutting bait on the ACC when their deal is over. 

Users who are viewing this thread