What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 College football thread - Auburn’s gotta Auburn. (1 Viewer)

Tom Servo

Nittany Beavers
I figured it was time to fire up a new thread for college football.

On a personal note, I hope to be able to photograph football games at my alma mater and local high schools this season.  I really got into it in 2019 and really missed it in 2020.  My alma mater's conference had a no outside fans for games this spring and I was reduced to watching them on the internet. (Imagine that, watching a D-3 football team's games on the net.  What a country. :thumbup: )

Anyway, we're just over two months away!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hope my alma mater isn’t left in the dust by the transfer portal, playoffs, image rights, and other rule changes. It would be a shame if only the same 6-7 teams had a legitimate shot at the title each year.

Oh... wait...

Will be interesting to see what happens to recruiting as name/image/likeness laws take effect in different states.  Most of the SEC states have bills already signed into law (or pending governor signature), but effective dates vary.

Meanwhile the Big Ten states are mostly  :sleep:

I figured it was time to fire up a new thread for college football.

On a personal note, I hope to be able to photograph football games at my alma mater and local high schools this season.  I really got into it in 2019 and really missed it in 2020.  My alma mater's conference had a no outside fans for games this spring and I was reduced to watching them on the internet. (Imagine that, watching a D-3 football team's games on the net.  What a country. :thumbup: )

Anyway, we're just over two months away!!!
What college?   Former DIII guy but our football team was junk.  Think I watched parts of 2 games in 4 years. 

So happy my oldest is going to Oregon.  FINALLY I have a legit reason for being a big fan.  :P

What college?   Former DIII guy but our football team was junk.  Think I watched parts of 2 games in 4 years. 

So happy my oldest is going to Oregon.  FINALLY I have a legit reason for being a big fan.  :P
My son is at Alabama now so it gives me the same reason for going :)  

whoknew said:
So looking like it may go to 12. Two fun things from it:

1) No potential for ND getting a bye.

2) At some point, southern teams are going to have to come north in the dead of winter. That will be interesting.
I saw Swarbeck saying essentially that he doesn’t want to hear any more about ND playing one less game. :rolleyes:  No bye for ND just means they’ll flame out like they always do as the middling seed they usually are. 

whoknew said:
So looking like it may go to 12. Two fun things from it:

1) No potential for ND getting a bye.

2) At some point, southern teams are going to have to come north in the dead of winter. That will be interesting.
Surprised there isn't more discussion about this.

IMO requiring the top 4 seeds to be conference champions is dumb. It should be the top 4 teams, period. I also think it would be better if the second round games were hosted by the higher seeds rather than at neutral sites.

Surprised there isn't more discussion about this.

IMO requiring the top 4 seeds to be conference champions is dumb. It should be the top 4 teams, period. I also think it would be better if the second round games were hosted by the higher seeds rather than at neutral sites.
I mean, I get what you're saying.  IMO, conference championships should mean something.  For example, if somehow in 2018 Northwestern pulled off the upset of Ohio State, they deserve a top six seed and OSU should have to fight its way up from the bottom 6.  If you want a top four seed, win your conference and be better than two other conference champs and you're in.

I do wholeheartedly agree that the second round should be on campus?  After all, won't someone look out for Alabama fan who has to double mortgage their trailer to afford plane tickets all over?  And, Oklahoma won't have to fly anywhere after they choke their game away.

There is NO WAY IN HELL that the SEC (or Big 12) would agree to have second round games on the higher seed stadium. There's no way they want to play at Ohio State or WI in Dec/Jan.

Black Shoe Diaries: Let's Talk a 12 team playoff.

This looks good to this PSU fan as the Nittany Lions would've made it 4 of the last 7 years.  In this alternate timeline, Ole Miss would travel to East Lansing in mid-December.  Between the greater chances for PSU to get in, the fact that southern teams would have to play real man football in the December cold excites me to no end. :stirspot:

IMO, conference championships should mean something.  For example, if somehow in 2018 Northwestern pulled off the upset of Ohio State, they deserve a top six seed and OSU should have to fight its way up from the bottom 6.  If you want a top four seed, win your conference and be better than two other conference champs and you're in.
Disagree. If Notre Dame is a top 4 team, they should get a top 4 seed. If #1 Alabama beats previously undefeated #2 Georgia in the SEC championship game, leaving Georgia with a single loss in that game to the #1 team in the country at a neutral site, Georgia should get a top 4 seed. To do otherwise is silly.

Without implementing the requirement that the top seeds be conference champions, it is very likely that the top 4 seeds will almost always be conference winners. But when they shouldn't be, they shouldn't be. This is not rocket science.

To say the bolded ignores that the best two teams in the nation can be in the same conference. That may not happen often, but it can obviously happen.

I have to wonder if part of it is so that conferences don’t start playing games with their championship games. You know, No. 1 Alabama already is in, so why not let No. 16 Florida (or whatever) win and guarantee the league another spot.

The other team probably would never play ball anyway, but this kind of incentive assures that. Who knows.

Disagree. If Notre Dame is a top 4 team, they should get a top 4 seed. If #1 Alabama beats previously undefeated #2 Georgia in the SEC championship game, leaving Georgia with a single loss in that game to the #1 team in the country at a neutral site, Georgia should get a top 4 seed. To do otherwise is silly.

Without implementing the requirement that the top seeds be conference champions, it is very likely that the top 4 seeds will almost always be conference winners. But when they shouldn't be, they shouldn't be. This is not rocket science.

To say the bolded ignores that the best two teams in the nation can be in the same conference. That may not happen often, but it can obviously happen.
I see your point; I'm just not sure I agree with you.  But that's OK.  :thumbup:   That's what we do in the off-season; kick the can around.

Big investigation into shenanigans at Arizona State over the past year.  I thought Herm was supposed to be squeaky clean?

Big investigation into shenanigans at Arizona State over the past year.  I thought Herm was supposed to be squeaky clean?
Doesn't seem too awful.  Betting a few other schools violated this as well...

TEMPE, Ariz. — The NCAA is investigating whether the Arizona State football program hosted high school prospects during the recent COVID-19 dead period, and possibly other recruiting violations, The Athletic has learned.

It’s unknown how many prospects Arizona State is alleged to have entertained during the COVID-19 period or when they might have visited. Per one source, the school’s athletic compliance office recently started interviewing staff members. A former athletic department employee said some people in the football offices are concerned about losing their jobs.

“ASU can confirm the NCAA is conducting an investigation regarding allegations related to our football program,” Arizona State vice president of media relations and strategic communications Katie Paquet said in a statement to The Athletic. “In accordance with NCAA bylaws, the university cannot provide further comment at this time.”

Doesn't seem too awful.  Betting a few other schools violated this as well...

TEMPE, Ariz. — The NCAA is investigating whether the Arizona State football program hosted high school prospects during the recent COVID-19 dead period, and possibly other recruiting violations, The Athletic has learned.

It’s unknown how many prospects Arizona State is alleged to have entertained during the COVID-19 period or when they might have visited. Per one source, the school’s athletic compliance office recently started interviewing staff members. A former athletic department employee said some people in the football offices are concerned about losing their jobs.

“ASU can confirm the NCAA is conducting an investigation regarding allegations related to our football program,” Arizona State vice president of media relations and strategic communications Katie Paquet said in a statement to The Athletic. “In accordance with NCAA bylaws, the university cannot provide further comment at this time.”
GM, I think this goes deeper. Per this article, it seems that the coach with the stroke under Herm was really aggressive about it. Anyone not with him was considered against him. 

Not for nothing, but if you have coaches doing CYA to cover themselves and - astonishingly - want to talk to the NCAA about it, there’s not the widespread problem it may seem on the surface. 

Thanks for pointing to the new thread :thumbup:

With the latest SC decision, looks like there are officially cracks in the "they're students first" firewall the NCAA has patched together over the years.  One step closer to paying them their market worth.

You Oklahoma fans are screwed. Big 12 will consider “horns down” taunting and will be penalized.

“Lemme put it this way," Burks said. "If you do a Horns Down to a Texas player as an opponent, that's probably going to be a foul."

Burks said if a player turned to the crowd to throw the sign, it "probably" would not be a penalty.

"Please all of you note, I said 'probably,' Burks added. "We have to consider intent and consider the situation. We'll leave it to officials."

If anybody has a subscription to The Athletic,  the Faux Pelini open letter to Trev Alberts is a must-read. here's a highlight-

(By the way, don’t forget that any employee’s real job is to make his boss look good. This means that you need to take care of Chancellor Ronnie and make him look smart for hiring you. I mean, his job title is Chancellor. Chancellor! It’s one of the coolest sounding fake jobs in the world, right up there with “Canadian Air Force Commander” and “Director of Compliance at LSU.” Chancellors want to keep their jobs. Keep Ronnie happy and you’ll be around for a while.)

Users who are viewing this thread