What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How many books to become a 'subject matter expert'? (1 Viewer)

would need to be studied

• 1-2

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 3-4

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 5-6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7-8

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 9-10

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 11-15

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 16-20

• 21+

• Total voters

Hastur

Footballguy
How many books would have to be read(read, studied, outlined, memorized, etc.) in order to be considered a ‘subject matter expert’?  Verifiable skills such as dog training or surgeon or riding a bike not included. 

Examples:

The history of Ireland

Astronomy

Nutrition

Creativity

Pick a more specific topic and the bar is much lower.

Pick a topic so specific that nobody has ever written a book about it and the bar is much, much lower.

Instead of 'history of Ireland" -> "history of Irish lake fishing between 777-780 AD"

Instead of "Astronomy" -> "suitability of star system XYZ1234 for colonization"

Instead of "Nutrition" -> "a comparison of the health benefits of commercially available gluten free pizzas for those without celiac disease"

With any one of these, spend the equivalent time of reading one book doing whatever research, thinking and writing about it, and you're almost certainly top five in the world.

i've attempted a half-dozen historical fictions (a con man of the Ancien Regime, courtesan of the French Revolution, Byron & the Shelleys, WW1 poets Siegfried Sassoon, Wilfred Owen & Robert Graves battling shellshock together @ a Scottish hospital, Carl Fisher - the man who built the Indy Speedway AND Miami Beach - and Voltaire's return to Paris). Have anywhere from 30-150 books on each subject and read correspondences from private collections on five. And i quit school after 10th grade. And i'm very angry now after listing all those expenses and realizing how little i have to show for it. My lifetime drug tab is making more sense now....

In history, the bar is high. I can be conversant in as few as three books, but i'm special...

There's a quote I always liked for this:

"An expert is someone who's made every mistake possible in a very narrow field"

It feels especially true in tech and the trades. 

Users who are viewing this thread