What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

EQUALITY or EQUITY....you can't have both. (1 Viewer)

Opie

Footballguy
Equality = Equal opportunity with equal limitations for everyone.
Equity = Equal outcome. Everyone finishes at that same place.

Just how does everyone get to the top without advantaging some while disadvantaging others?

You actually can’t have either.

You can have everyone treated equally under the law, but birth situation will make all starting points and experiences different…for different reasons.

The question is how much do you change or adjust for that?  How do you adjust for physiological differences.  For parenting differences. 

You actually can’t have either.

You can have everyone treated equally under the law, but birth situation will make all starting points and experiences different…for different reasons.

The question is how much do you change or adjust for that?  How do you adjust for physiological differences.  For parenting differences. 
You are correct but I'm not talking about equality under the law.
That's a no brainer and of course, should be.

I'm more talking about societies goals.
I see the posters and ads all over the place about achieving equity.

If your goal is equity....you try to achieve it by forcing equality?
All things begin equal, there will never be equity.
If the goal is to achieve equal outcomes (equity), we would have to enforce inequality...that is, advantage some and disadvantage others.

Are they simply misusing the word?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some in our society begin with less opportunity because of poverty, institutional racism, or a combination of the two. 
Without getting rid of capitalism, what’s wrong with government giving these folks a helping hand? 

Some in our society begin with less opportunity because of poverty, institutional racism, or a combination of the two. 
Without getting rid of capitalism, what’s wrong with government giving these folks a helping hand? 
What about helping people with lower IQ’s?

First off, there is no institutional racism - that's doesn't exist anymore based on all the advances from the 60's.

Second off, we already do help people born into poverty, so we don't need to do anything more because we already do it.

First off, there is no institutional racism - that's doesn't exist anymore based on all the advances from the 60's.

Second off, we already do help people born into poverty, so we don't need to do anything more because we already do it.
You’re the perfect guy for my debate idea- seriously. Are you interested? It wouldn’t involve any more posting than you’re already doing. 

I’m for helping everyone who needs it, but I’m not seeing a connection here. 
Don't those who are lacking in ability have less opportunities in life?  Not just mental IQ but social IQ and EQ.  Physical abilities as well.  We inherit more than just money and skin color from our parents, which play a huge part in our opportunities to succeed in life.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

1.   Wow

2.   So because we help some, we can’t possibly help more?  If I run 0.01 miles per week, does that make me a runner?

1.   Wow

2.   So because we help some, we can’t possibly help more?  If I run 0.01 miles per week, does that make me a runner?
1.  Show me the institution that's racist and what they're doing that is racist and then I'll be on board to change it.  Right now, I'm not seeing an "institution" that's racist.  Individuals, yes.  Institutions, no way.  Those Jim Crowe laws have been wiped out on the books for decades now.

2.  We have thousands of programs and incentives for poor people, single mothers, etc...  Like so many we probably could spend the next year naming them all from the Federal level, to the State level down to the county and city.  What more do you need?

We’ve spent over 22 trillion on anti-poverty programs over the past 50 years and here we are. If we just spend 30 trillion that will fix it. 

1.   Wow

Any help should be done using reasoned, thought out processes, where progress can be measured.  Most of the current ideas, such as reparations, have none of that.  They're simply giveaways.  Some of the ideas are based on the idea of taking from one person to give to another.  I think we should push people up but not by bringing others down. 

"Equity" = thinking Harrison Bergeron was a "how to" instruction manual.

Plot[edit]

In the year 2081, the 211th, 212th, and 213th amendments to the Constitution dictate that all Americans are fully equal and not allowed to be smarter, better-looking, or more physically able than anyone else. The Handicapper General's agents enforce the equality laws, forcing citizens to wear "handicaps": masks for those who are too beautiful, loud radios that disrupt thoughts inside the ears of intelligent people, and heavy weights for the strong or athletic.

One April, 14-year-old Harrison Bergeron, an intelligent, athletic, and good-looking teenager, is taken away from his parents, George and Hazel Bergeron, by the government. They are barely aware of the tragedy, as Hazel has "average" intelligence (a euphemism for stupidity), and George has a handicap radio installed by the government to regulate his above-average intelligence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron

Satan Vows to Make a Comeback
By Phillip Wedge

Yeah, they’re sending me down to the lowest
of the low, some bush-league team, the Pandas.
I tell you it’s a monopoly, man.
Isn’t there some law against owning all
the teams? God is sure off base this time.
What’s the point of having a World Series
if you’re set up to lose from the outset?

We sure had them on the ropes though, didn’t
we? Those Angels couldn’t do it by themselves,
so God tells Christ to warm up in the pen.
Was that supposed to scare us or what? When
Belial, that great Sultan of Sloth,
came up – and the bases full – he slugged that
little old sphere clean out of the ballpark
to tie the game. And God lets Michael throw
one more pitch to Big Mammon the Cannon
and they’re down by one with me up next. God
couldn’t stand to be down by two in His
ballpark, especially not in the top
of the Ninth, my favorite number. So
He calls up the Super Star Himself to
pitch to me, saying “ J.C. can outshine
even Lucifer.” I mean, where does He
get off saying that? What a spectacle
Christ made of Himself too. Only He would
need a Fiery Chariot instead
just jogging in from the bullpen.
Why, those wheels of fire singed half the infield.
And then that s.o.G. sends the players
to the dugout and says He can do it
all Himself. Who does He think He is? God?

When I hit the first pitch downtown, what does
John Milton shout? Foul ball! If ever we
needed proof that umpires are blind as bats,
that was it. And of course I protested,
but God doesn’t allow replays to change
a Judgement call. The game must remain pure.

Naturally, I was really mad as Hell,
so when Christ tries to throw His thunderbolt
screwgie under my chin and I eat dust,
I have to charge the mound myself and kick
some dirt in His face. So His Immaculate
Self got soiled, so what? Milton kicks me out
of the game for that and we lose it all,
not only the Series but we’re out of
the League for good, no comeback, no nothing.

God thinks He has us down for good. Well I’ve
got news for Him – the game’s not over yet.
I’m talking Unions, man. All my boys
are behind me on this one; the system’s
got to go. Once we get Adam and his
lot on our side, we’ve got God licked for sure.
The Union won’t stand for less than equal shares
all around. Man, I’m talking Equity.

:devil:

Users who are viewing this thread