What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

June 14th is Flag Day (1 Viewer)

I closed on my house 11 years ago today, but it is mostly a forgotten holiday. I wonder why that is?

Missing the context there on purpose to make a generalized insult towards the left?
She said she was disturbed by American flags on pickup trucks which to her meant “this is my country not your country”.  That is a common trend amongst Liberals today - they equate the flag with whiteness.

Avowed leftist here...

I love the US of A and appreciate America's historical greatness and our vast potential.

Here's the the US and may we continue to strive for greater and better so we can be that positive change the world needs!

She said she was disturbed by American flags on pickup trucks which to her meant “this is my country not your country”.  That is a common trend amongst Liberals today - they equate the flag with whiteness.
She also said, prior to your highlighted comments, "I was on Long Island this weekend ... and I was really disturbed. I saw, you know, dozens & dozens of pickup trucks w/ expletives against Joe Biden ... Trump flags,..."

In order to be that change let's not go full on MSM and take things out of context.

Thats isn’t all she said though, was it? And it seemed clear it was about those taking on Trump and the flag and acting as if that made them Patriots when an image we now have is Trump supporters using a flag as a weapon against Capitol police.

Because many on the Left hate the flag and everything it stands for. 
You know this was a nice thread. Something that, like the OP wrote, everyone could get behind. And you had to go and ruin it with this nonsense. 

It’s not “many on the left”. Only a tiny number on the left hate the flag, and a tiny number on the right hate it too. Most of us, left and right and center, feel much love for this piece of cloth. 

If you aren't aware of how disrespectful it is to drag a US flag around on your pickup truck, you're part of the problem, not a patriot.  We covered this in the Memorial Day thread already, but what I see daily in how the average American treats our flag is blatantly disgusting.  Dragging it around on the back of a pickup truck is but one example.

You know this was a nice thread. Something that, like the OP wrote, everyone could get behind. And you had to go and ruin it with this nonsense. 

It’s not “many on the left”. Only a tiny number on the left hate the flag, and a tiny number on the right hate it too. Most of us, left and right and center, feel much love for this piece of cloth. 
Very few. Even Colin Kaepernick has never said he hates the flag, only that “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color."

If you aren't aware of how disrespectful it is to drag a US flag around on your pickup truck, you're part of the problem, not a patriot.  We covered this in the Memorial Day thread already, but what I see daily in how the average American treats our flag is blatantly disgusting.  Dragging it around on the back of a pickup truck is but one example.
If that’s disrespectful, how much more so putting it on swimsuits, underwear, or even napkins?

If that’s disrespectful, how much more so putting it on swimsuits, underwear, or even napkins?
Don't get me started GB....those right up there.  Could have used you in the Memorial Day thread where people got pissy with me because I didn't like their irreverent treatment towards our flag.

Last edited by a moderator:
She also said, prior to your highlighted comments, "I was on Long Island this weekend ... and I was really disturbed. I saw, you know, dozens & dozens of pickup trucks w/ expletives against Joe Biden ... Trump flags,..."

In order to be that change let's not go full on MSM and take things out of context.
No.  I quoted the exact context.  She went from saying the bit about Trump flags and then went on to an entirely separate comment about the American flag.  Here is what she said exactly: “and in some cases just dozens of American flags, which is also just disturbing because essentially the message was clear.  It was ‘This is my country.  This is not your country.  I own this’”.  The also is the operative word here.  She went out of her way to distinguish the American flag as also being disturbing.  And Mighty Mika was saying “Yes, yes” to that sentiment in the background.  It is what it is.  Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it isn’t real. 

How many of those cloth American flags were on the center stage on the 2016 Democratic national Convention on day 1?  It's a statement of fact that a portion of today's Leftists don't have a love for the American flag.  Not a majority mind you, but enough so that I believe it is noteworthy and a problem.  This shouldn't be news to anyone here.  Just watch a sporting event and see all the athletes disrespecting the national anthem and the flag.  This shouldn't be a news flash to anyone in here - a not insignificant portion of Leftists today aren't all that crazy about America, the flag, or what it represents.  And I didn't ruin this thread, I answered a question honestly.  Sorry if you don't like the truth.  Maybe spend some time coming down on the radicals in your party who disrespect the flag and the anthem - it's within your right to do this.

My little town is engaged in a facebook war today because someone pointed out that state law requires cities and counties to fly the POW/MIA flag on Flag Day, but it isn't being flown on the main flagpole of the town.   It's being flown at city hall, which is what the law says, but there's a whole group up in arms that it should be on the more visible flagpole.   They're claiming it's because of liberals.   We have a nonpartisan mayor and a republican city council, so I'm not sure how that works.   I have a friend on the city council and he said as far as he knows there's nobody in the city that's actually in charge of displaying the flag, so he's surprised it even got flown at city hall.   

Meh.  Not all images of the stars and stripes are flags.  This guy isn't wearing a flag and not disrespecting anything (except maybe good taste).
We'll agree to disagree :shrug:  

Stuff like this is as unacceptable as the bathing suit ones I see freakin' everywhere.

How many of those cloth American flags were on the center stage on the 2016 Democratic national Convention on day 1?  It's a statement of fact that a portion of today's Leftists don't have a love for the American flag.  Not a majority mind you, but enough so that I believe it is noteworthy and a problem.  This shouldn't be news to anyone here.  Just watch a sporting event and see all the athletes disrespecting the national anthem and the flag.  This shouldn't be a news flash to anyone in here - a not insignificant portion of Leftists today aren't all that crazy about America, the flag, or what it represents.  And I didn't ruin this thread, I answered a question honestly.  Sorry if you don't like the truth.  Maybe spend some time coming down on the radicals in your party who disrespect the flag and the anthem - it's within your right to do this.
So unless it is a cloth flag, it doesn't count? I don't believe a group of people or an organization is more or less patriotic or love America more or less than depending on the number of flags they put on display when they meet. 

From Politifact:

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2016/jul/27/donald-trump/dnc-flag-missing-controversy/

[...]

Our ruling

Trump said on Twitter, "Not one American flag on the massive stage at the Democratic National Convention until people started complaining-then a small one. Pathetic."

A huge video board prominently displayed the American flag during the first day. The proof is in the photos. And a physical flag made an appearance during the National Anthem.

But Trump has a point that physical flags (plural) appear to have been added to the stage for the second day of the Democratic National Convention, after some stories reported the lack of flags.

Trump is partially accurate. We rate the claim Half True.

Update: After we published, and thanks to a reader, we came across photos from the day before the convention, July 24, that showed flags on the wings of the stage. Here is a photo of the flags from Josh Haner of the New York Times:

So the flags were in place before the convention started and removed for the first day ... but reappeared on July 26. We still haven't heard back from the DNC explaining what happened.

No.  I quoted the exact context.  She went from saying the bit about Trump flags and then went on to an entirely separate comment about the American flag.  Here is what she said exactly: “and in some cases just dozens of American flags, which is also just disturbing because essentially the message was clear.  It was ‘This is my country.  This is not your country.  I own this’”.  The also is the operative word here.  She went out of her way to distinguish the American flag as also being disturbing.  And Mighty Mika was saying “Yes, yes” to that sentiment in the background.  It is what it is.  Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it isn’t real. 
It wasn’t an entirely separate comment is the point.  It was all a part of her point.

We'll agree to disagree :shrug:  

Stuff like this is as unacceptable as the bathing suit ones I see freakin' everywhere.
Fair enough but there are stars and stripes on plates, cups, decals, stickers, pins, toys, sheet cakes, etc.  I have a feeling you're going to be pretty offended in a couple of weeks.

To me the important thing is the intent.  Burning, cutting, tossing mud on old glory is offensive to me, a guy wearing stars and stripes shorts?  Meh, give me a beer.

Fair enough but there are stars and stripes on plates, cups, decals, stickers, pins, toys, sheet cakes, etc.  I have a feeling you're going to be pretty offended in a couple of weeks.

To me the important thing is the intent.  Burning, cutting, tossing mud on old glory is offensive to me, a guy wearing stars and stripes shorts?  Meh, give me a beer.
It doesn't offend, but I am left feeling very disappointed several times during the year for sure.  

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a flag dragged on a pickup truck.  Ever.  I have seen it flown many times, by people who love this country.

Don't get me started GB....those right up there.  Could have used you in the Memorial Day thread where people got pissy with me because I didn't like their irreverent treatment towards our flag.
How did you feel about Kaepernick and others kneeling during the anthem?  Did you speak out about it in here?

How did you feel about Kaepernick and others kneeling during the anthem?  Did you speak out about it in here?
You mean expressing a First Amendment right to freedom of speech?   It's odd how some people can be so wrapped up in a symbol, but ignore what it represents.

Nevermind - I read the last few pages of that thread.  You support the protesters doing it during the anthem, which is weird considering your rigid position on respecting the flag.  No worries - to each his own.

You mean expressing a First Amendment right to freedom of speech?   It's odd how some people can be so wrapped up in a symbol, but ignore what it represents.
And I am allowed to express my first amendment right in saying that it’s disgusting and disrespectful to those in my family and in other families who have fought and died for that flag and that first amendment right.  It gets back to my original point - the people disrespecting that flag are almost always Liberals.

And I am allowed to express my first amendment right in saying that it’s disgusting and disrespectful to those in my family and in other families who have fought and died for that flag and that first amendment right.  It gets back to my original point - the people disrespecting that flag are almost always Liberals.
How is it that they fought and died for that first amendment right but exercising that right is disrespectful?   Seems like not exercising that right would mean their sacrifice was meaningless.

Funny that trying to overthrow the government on January 6 is free speech, but someone kneeling over a cause they believe in is some form of liberal disrespect.   

How is it that they fought and died for that first amendment right but exercising that right is disrespectful?   Seems like not exercising that right would mean their sacrifice was meaningless.

Funny that trying to overthrow the government on January 6 is free speech, but someone kneeling over a cause they believe in is some form of liberal disrespect.   
Oof.  I’m going to be kind and sit this one out.

I thought it was the wrong way to go about it personally but I understood his point, but that's about the anthem.  I'm talking about our flag.  As a matter of fact, I believe when people tried to conflate the two in that thread, I believe I even made the observation that I'd never seen people as upset with Kaep also upset with those who don't treat our flag with respect on a daily basis.  So yeah, I brought it up in that thread....though it was never acknowledged by anyone that I know of.....I didn't spend much time in that pissing match thread.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a flag dragged on a pickup truck.  Ever.  I have seen it flown many times, by people who love this country.
Really?  Googgle "US flag back of pickup truck" and you'll see it everywhere.  I see it here all the time and often times along side a Confederate Flag or some other political flag.  To be clear, if one thinks it's being "flown" simply because it's on a pole on the back of a truck and not literally on the ground you're wrong.  I even see them on the back of fire trucks.  That's not right.  

How disrespectful is it to burn them in riot situations?

I was at the largest flag day celebration this weekend in Three Oaks, Mi.

The Commish said:
Really?  Googgle "US flag back of pickup truck" and you'll see it everywhere.  I see it here all the time and often times along side a Confederate Flag or some other political flag.  To be clear, if one thinks it's being "flown" simply because it's on a pole on the back of a truck and not literally on the ground you're wrong.  I even see them on the back of fire trucks.  That's not right.  
What I was getting at is dragged is not the right word there.  I have to say, I find it beyond strange that you get so uptight about the perfect conditions for flying a flag but you don't seem to care about people protesting during the national anthem.

What I was getting at is dragged is not the right word there.  I have to say, I find it beyond strange that you get so uptight about the perfect conditions for flying a flag but you don't seem to care about people protesting during the national anthem.
Kaepernick was against having to participate in a public show of patriotism that he didn't believe in, as I noted earlier his words at the time:

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color."

Based on what exactly?  I'm not confident you've ever read my full opinion on protesting during the national anthem.  I made it clear in the Kaep thread of course, but it's clear you didn't read it there or you wouldn't have had to ask me the questions you did.  But again, that's the anthem.  Here we were/are talking about the flag.  

ETA:  And "dragged" is a perfect word there.  While not literal, it perfectly describes how disrespectful it is of our flag.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Flying the flag upside down, burning it, kneeling for the Anthem, whatever someone chooses to do.  I'm still very thankful to live in, and honored to have defended, this country that allows these forms of free speech.  

I know, just another random person who happens to be Liberal.  No trends here.

Macy Gray's call for a new American flag receives mixed reactions: 'Now the flag is too white?!'

Macy Gray is facing criticism over her call for a new American flag.

On Thursday, the Grammy-winning singer shared an op-ed on MarketWatch that said the current flag serves as a "replacement" to the Confederate flag, which she called "a symbol of opposition to the abolishment of slavery."

She continued, calling the flag "tattered, dated, divisive, and incorrect" and claiming that "it no longer represents democracy and freedom."

Gray called into question the symbolism of the colors on the current American flag and the number of stars, suggesting that 62 years after it was designed, it's time to "reset" the flag.

It seems many did not take kindly to the "I Try" singer's idea, and shared their thoughts online.

Singer Macy Gray suggested the American flag be redesigned. (Photo by Paula Lobo/Walt Disney Television via Getty Images)

"WTAF?! Now the flag is too white?!" tweeted a reader. "Maybe Macy Gray needs to spend some time with our service members for a little perspective."

"Macy Gray should recognize that the Flag she wants to replace was the Flag that these soldiers died under while trying to free African-American slaves from Democrats," said another.

Added a third: "Cancel Macy Gray and anyone else that has a problem with the American Flag."

There were others, however, who echoed the musician's sentiments.

"Ironic, those denouncing Macy Gray are the same ones who applaud the Insurrectionists who beat Capitol police w/American flags," wrote a Twitter user. They also support autocracy & Putin. So which red, white & blue are you supporting? The hypocrisy is galling.

"If you have any flags, stickers, shirts, masks, or anything else that has the thin blue line, Confederate flag, or that dumb Trump flag, you have no right to be upset that Macy Gray wants a redesign of the US flag (which has been done many times)," another said.

Gray is best known for her hit "I Try." In April, she and her new band, Macy Gray and The California Jet Club, released their debut single, "Thinking of You."

I know, just another random person who happens to be Liberal.  No trends here.

Macy Gray's call for a new American flag receives mixed reactions: 'Now the flag is too white?!'

Macy Gray is facing criticism over her call for a new American flag.

On Thursday, the Grammy-winning singer shared an op-ed on MarketWatch that said the current flag serves as a "replacement" to the Confederate flag, which she called "a symbol of opposition to the abolishment of slavery."

She continued, calling the flag "tattered, dated, divisive, and incorrect" and claiming that "it no longer represents democracy and freedom."

Gray called into question the symbolism of the colors on the current American flag and the number of stars, suggesting that 62 years after it was designed, it's time to "reset" the flag.

It seems many did not take kindly to the "I Try" singer's idea, and shared their thoughts online.

Singer Macy Gray suggested the American flag be redesigned. (Photo by Paula Lobo/Walt Disney Television via Getty Images)

"WTAF?! Now the flag is too white?!" tweeted a reader. "Maybe Macy Gray needs to spend some time with our service members for a little perspective."

"Macy Gray should recognize that the Flag she wants to replace was the Flag that these soldiers died under while trying to free African-American slaves from Democrats," said another.

Added a third: "Cancel Macy Gray and anyone else that has a problem with the American Flag."

There were others, however, who echoed the musician's sentiments.

"Ironic, those denouncing Macy Gray are the same ones who applaud the Insurrectionists who beat Capitol police w/American flags," wrote a Twitter user. They also support autocracy & Putin. So which red, white & blue are you supporting? The hypocrisy is galling.

"If you have any flags, stickers, shirts, masks, or anything else that has the thin blue line, Confederate flag, or that dumb Trump flag, you have no right to be upset that Macy Gray wants a redesign of the US flag (which has been done many times)," another said.

Gray is best known for her hit "I Try." In April, she and her new band, Macy Gray and The California Jet Club, released their debut single, "Thinking of You."
I am not sure why anyone who doesn't watch Fox News should care about her views on the flag. 

No trend here either 😆  it is so strange that the only time I see people disrespecting the flag it always seems to be Liberals.  What a coincidence!

US Olympic athlete Chelsea Wolfe threatened to burn flag on podium

EXCLUSIVE - BMX Freestyle rider Chelsea Wolfe, who qualified as an alternate to represent the U.S. at this year's summer Olympics in Tokyo, said last year that her goal was to win an Olympic medal "so I can burn a US flag on the podium."

"My goal is to win the Olympics so I can burn a US flag on the podium. This is what they focus on during a pandemic. Hurting trans children," Wolfe wrote on Facebook on March 25, 2020, along with a link to a PinkNews story about the Trump administration's stance on transgender girls in female athletics.

Wolfe told Fox News that the post, which has since been deleted, doesn't mean she doesn't care about her home country.

"Anyone who thinks that I don't care about the United States is sorely mistaken," Wolfe told Fox News. "One of the reasons why I work so hard to represent the United States in international competition is to show the world that this country has morals and values, that it's not all of the bad things that we're known for. I take a stand against fascism because I care about this country and I'm not going to let it fall into the hands of fascists after so many people have fought and sacrificed to prevent fascism from taking hold abroad. As a citizen who wants to be proud of my home country, I'm sure as hell not going to let it take hold here."

Journalist Ian Miles Cheong first reported on Wolfe's post. Wolfe also reportedly joked about exploding former president Donald Trump's head.

"I would never say that someone should explode the head of the president. That would be illegal," Wolfe wrote in Facebook comments according to a screenshot posted by Cheong. "But I will say ‘with dynamite.’ Because that's just a sentence fragment and doesn't actually mean anything. It's not necessarily related to the sentence that came before it."

Earlier this month, Wolfe posted about what it meant to qualify as an alternate for the Olympics as a transgender athlete.

"I searched for so long trying to find out if there had ever been a professional trans bmx rider to show me that who I am would be okay and unfortunately I found no one," Wolfe wrote on Instagram on June 12. "Eventually I started to meet some amazing women who helped me accept that I am a woman just like any other and that I deserve a place to exist in the world just like everyone else."

BMX rider Chelsea Wolfe last year threatened to burn an Olympic flag on the podium.  (Atsushi Tomura/Getty Images)

International Olympic Committee policy specifies conditions under which those who transition from male to female are eligible to compete in the female category.

Among them is that the athlete has declared that her gender identity is female and that the declaration cannot be changed, for sporting purposes, for a minimum of four years.

The athlete must also demonstrate that her total testosterone level is below a specific measurement for at least 12 months prior to her first competition.

The IOC policy also states: "the overriding sporting objective is and remains the guarantee of fair competition."

No trend here either 😆  it is so strange that the only time I see people disrespecting the flag it always seems to be Liberals.
You should come to Florida.....I guess that alone can't make you "see" it, but there's plenty here if you choose to be honest about it.

Users who are viewing this thread