What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Denver folks here? (1 Viewer)

ekbeats

Footballguy
My son is thinking about renting a place for the summer in West Colfax on 13th and Yates.  Looks like it might be a sketchy area?  Anyone have any knowledge?  Appreciate it.

- Nervous Dad

My son is thinking about renting a place for the summer in West Colfax on 13th and Yates.  Looks like it might be a sketchy area?  Anyone have any knowledge?  Appreciate it.

- Nervous Dad
It's not Brownsville, but West Colfax is the worst part of Denver.

It is not a great part of Denver, but finding affordable rentals in Denver is hard. My daughter just signed a lease on an apartment with her boyfriend in Fort Collins--quite a bit north of Denver,  $1850 for a little, little place, which about made me fall over from shock. 

Is there any particular reason he is set on specifically living there? 

It is not a great part of Denver, but finding affordable rentals in Denver is hard. My daughter just signed a lease on an apartment with her boyfriend in Fort Collins--quite a bit north of Denver,  $1850 for a little, little place, which about made me fall over from shock. 

Is there any particular reason he is set on specifically living there? 
Thanks guys.  He runs track at Clemson and his teammates rented a place there to altitude train.  It’s near W. 13th and Yates.  Any further thoughts, input, warnings?  Thanks again.

Thanks guys.  He runs track at Clemson and his teammates rented a place there to altitude train.  It’s near W. 13th and Yates.  Any further thoughts, input, warnings?  Thanks again.
If he wants altitude training and cheaper rent, check out Laramie, WY. It sits at 7,200 feet. 

That’s what you’d call a transitional neighborhood. Used to be a bad but it’s only a few blocks south of one of the hottest neighborhoods in town for young or trendy people in Sloan’s Lake. Lots of older homes being fixed up and new townhomes being built in place of the trashed out properties. I’m talking 1,400 sq ft homes selling for 500K~700k and a few blocks north you’ll start running into million dollar homes.

Bunch of young guys living together? Probably be fine. I wouldn’t go for a run at at night in the neighborhood but there are worse areas of town now IMO.

I'm seriously considering retiring to Denver from the Boston area.  Biggest concern is snow...  how much snow do you guys really get??  TIA.  

I'm seriously considering retiring to Denver from the Boston area.  Biggest concern is snow...  how much snow do you guys really get??  TIA.  
When it snows, they get a ton. However it will be 60 a couple days later and melt away.

It's really not that bad. If the sun is shining the weather isn't bad no matter the temperature. It snows but it melts pretty quick. 

Most of the time it's mild.  Every 5-7 years or so you might get a legit blizzard type snow where you wake up to 6 feet of snow outside your door.  But then they plow the streets and other than piles of snow everywhere life goes on as usual.  I like to say that we get just enough of all the seasons to know that there are seasons but not enough of any of them to inconvenience you. 

It's less than Boston and the big ones are smaller. Plus like mentioned above it doesn't stick around for 6 weeks. 

Thanks for the info, guys.  That's kind of what I was hoping to hear.  Next biggest concern is the crime rate, which appears to be considerably higher than either Cambridge or Boston and is much higher than Lexington where I live now. 
You don't have to live in Denver. There are  places north of Denver. Ft Collins,  Loveland, Longmont. Towns of 100k or so where you never have to go into Denver at all.

Thanks for the info, guys.  That's kind of what I was hoping to hear.  Next biggest concern is the crime rate, which appears to be considerably higher than either Cambridge or Boston and is much higher than Lexington where I live now. 
I have 3 kids living there.  My observations.  Beautiful area with a younger population.  Great sports city, really great.  Rocky Mts. very close.  Climate is great.  4 seasons but mild winters.  Not a winter month where you can't golf a least once.  was there a few years ago for Thanksgiving.  High of 70 degrees for 3 days.  Great hub for flying anywhere.  1 1/2 hour flight to Phoenix from Denver.  I actually looked at Grand county CO(Granby area) to retire to.  2 1/2 hour drive from Denver.   Great elk hunting & GREAT fishing!

I have a 1pm (local time, 3pm eastern) appointment for a virtual tour of this house.  It looks like it'll suit our needs just fine.  We can rent for a year while I scout out a place to buy, either in Denver or a nearby locale as suggested above.  

We had our 4th largest snow storm in history in March for about 27 inches. It was mostly melted and gone within a few days. By the next weekend you wouldn’t have even known it had happened. I don’t even own a snow blower despite a north facing drive way, most people in my neighborhood don’t own one. I’d probably only use it a couple of times each winter at best.

I have a 1pm (local time, 3pm eastern) appointment for a virtual tour of this house.  It looks like it'll suit our needs just fine.  We can rent for a year while I scout out a place to buy, either in Denver or a nearby locale as suggested above.  
Very close to downtown, Wash Park a few blocks south is one of the premier desired neighborhoods. That area is very desired too, and the house is not off a main road which is good as traffic can be bad during rush hour on Downing/Corona (at least pre-covid it was.) 2 car garage very important, parking down there is non-existent. Lots of older homes fixed up that are super expensive, nice walk ability although you will see homeless since you are so close to downtown.

I agree with your approach, wife and I rented for 6 months until we got to know the areas and bought a house then. Happy to answer any other questions and welcome to Denver!

Welp, I got approved for that house.  They sent me the lease for signature, but I'm going to sit on it overnight.  I'm in the process of talking it over with my three kids to make sure everyone is on board with the move.  So far it looks like everyone is agreeable.  

johnnycakes said:
Welp, I got approved for that house.  They sent me the lease for signature, but I'm going to sit on it overnight.  I'm in the process of talking it over with my three kids to make sure everyone is on board with the move.  So far it looks like everyone is agreeable.  
well I signed the lease this morning and sent it back to them.  Paid the security deposit and took out the required renters insurance, too.  My oldest daughter and I will fly out on July 14-18 to pick up the keys and have a look around.  I have the movers all contracted to do the move September 7.  so that house will sit empty for the month of August.  I'm not so comfortable with that... may have to schedule a look-see in the middle of August just to make sure it hasn't moved or anything. But so far I'm totally psyched and looking forward to this once-in-a-lifetime type of move.   

Last edited by a moderator:
well I signed the lease this morning and sent it back to them.  Paid the security deposit and took out the required renters insurance, too.  My oldest daughter and I will fly out on July 14-18 to pick up the keys and have a look around.  I have the movers all contracted to do the move September 7.  so that house will sit empty for the month of August.  I'm not so comfortable with that... may have to schedule a look-see in the middle of August just to make sure it hasn't moved or anything. But so far I'm totally psyched and looking forward to this once-in-a-lifetime type of move.   
There are a few Denver people in this thread.  I'm sure one of us could check on it for you if you'd like.  I live in the suburbs about eight miles south of there so it would be easy for me to do.  My girlfriend lived up there when we met and she loves that area.

Not necessarily trying to hijack OP's thread, but looks like his question has been answered and I'd rather not start a new thread.

I'll be in Denver for a conference in early November.  Conference runs Sunday night - Wednesday afternoon.  I'm looking to come in a few days early and just hang out.  Maybe 3-4 days on the ground, arrive Wed or Thurs.  Main interests are craft beer and good food.  In an ideal world, I'd be able to survive without a car; walkable neighborhood is a good idea.  Not totally opposed to renting a car and doing some hiking but not an absolute must-have unless you think otherwise.  What neighborhoods should I target for an Airbnb?  Internet leading me to Five Points / RiNo.

Additionally, Colorado football has a home game that Saturday night.  While I have no particular attachment to the Buffs, I'm a college football nut and would consider the trip.  Is the bus the best way to get between the two cities?  Or should I really look into renting a car if I decide to go this route (I'm thinking this may be the way to go)?  Is this a good idea or just stick to Denver?

Any advice appreciated.

Boulder is a blast.  Their is/was bus service to-from DIA to Boulder but I don't know about service where you'd be or the transfers/connections.  I suggest renting a vehicle, getting to the campus early and soaking in the sights.  Check out the town.  Walk to 'the Hill' and enjoy.  Head over to Pearl Street.  Take a hike up NCAR.  The Russian Tea House is really cool.  Do a quick and dirty Google on what to do in Boulder, their is a lot.

CU alum and luv me some Buffs.  The student section of games can get a lil-rowdy but its a lot of fun if you don't mind the cups of beer being thrown.  Their used to be 'beer cup wars' between the frat rats with a lot of collateral splashes.

We won the National Championship when I was their so that was special.  Never know what to expect with the weather.  Oh and get to the Dark Horse bar after the game.  

Top things to see in Boulder

1.  Pearl Street - ABSOLUTE must see.  Schedule at least two hours to stroll around.
  2. CU campus - One of the most gorgeous campus' in the University system.
  3.  NCAR - National Center for Atmospheric Research.  TONS of hiking trails and lots of parking.  Highly suggest getting to Boulder EARLY in the morning, grabbing a Starbucks on 'The Hill' heading up to NCAR and taking a hike.
  4. The Hill  - Located right off campus.  Everyone knows 'The Hill'.
  5. Russian/Boulder Tea House - Expect a crowd but check it out.

Boulder is a blast.  Their is/was bus service to-from DIA to Boulder but I don't know about service where you'd be or the transfers/connections.  I suggest renting a vehicle, getting to the campus early and soaking in the sights.  Check out the town.  Walk to 'the Hill' and enjoy.  Head over to Pearl Street.  Take a hike up NCAR.  The Russian Tea House is really cool.  Do a quick and dirty Google on what to do in Boulder, their is a lot.

CU alum and luv me some Buffs.  The student section of games can get a lil-rowdy but its a lot of fun if you don't mind the cups of beer being thrown.  Their used to be 'beer cup wars' between the frat rats with a lot of collateral splashes.

We won the National Championship when I was their so that was special.  Never know what to expect with the weather.  Oh and get to the Dark Horse bar after the game.  

Top things to see in Boulder

1.  Pearl Street - ABSOLUTE must see.  Schedule at least two hours to stroll around.
  2. CU campus - One of the most gorgeous campus' in the University system.
  3.  NCAR - National Center for Atmospheric Research.  TONS of hiking trails and lots of parking.  Highly suggest getting to Boulder EARLY in the morning, grabbing a Starbucks on 'The Hill' heading up to NCAR and taking a hike.
  4. The Hill  - Located right off campus.  Everyone knows 'The Hill'.
  5. Russian/Boulder Tea House - Expect a crowd but check it out.
Still go to The Sink when I am in town. A classic imo.

I meant more along the lines of during the day, bus from Denver to Boulder on Saturday, bus back on Sunday, something like that.  
Strongly recommend renting a vehicle and spending an entire day in Boulder if not one night.  With a vehicle you can do a day-drive up to Rocky Mountain National Park and Estes

Lots of great things to do in Colorado other than see Denver.  Kinda need a vehicle to get around.

I meant more along the lines of during the day, bus from Denver to Boulder on Saturday, bus back on Sunday, something like that.  
Maybe. Bus service is cut back on weekends. Probably can get busses between the main terminals in Denver and Boulder. Getting to the terminals might take some work.

Maybe. Bus service is cut back on weekends. Probably can get busses between the main hubs in Denver and Boulder. Getting to the hubs might take some work.
Yeah, took a DIRECT bus line from Boulder to DIA in a snowstorm to avoid long term parking fees.  LOTS and lots and lots of stops on the direct line with no transfers and my car was parked a block away at some buddies.  It still took a loooooong time to get to the airport and a looooooong bus ride back.  Waiting for a bus is no fun even with a direct line and no transfers with nearby parking.

Can't imagine trying that bus would work or be easy.  

Vehicle gives all sorts of advantages even if it means a few extra bucks.  Can take in soo much more scenery and its pretty easy to pick up and drop off at the airport with shuttle to the terminal.  

Yeah, took a DIRECT bus line from Boulder to DIA in a snowstorm to avoid long term parking fees.  LOTS and lots and lots of stops on the direct line with no transfers and my car was parked a block away at some buddies.  It still took a loooooong time to get to the airport and a looooooong bus ride back.  Waiting for a bus is no fun even with a direct line and no transfers with nearby parking.

Can't imagine trying that bus would work or be easy.  

Vehicle gives all sorts of advantages even if it means a few extra bucks.  Can take in soo much more scenery and its pretty easy to pick up and drop off at the airport with shuttle to the terminal.  
Yeah it will take some waiting and probably walking.  Main bus terminal in Boulder is at 36 and Table Mesa? That's a walk to the campus from there, but not impossible.  

Yeah it will take some waiting and probably walking.  Main bus terminal in Boulder is at 36 and Table Mesa? That's a walk to the campus from there, but not impossible.  
Yep, that is the main terminal but he could get-off at an earlier stop if he knew where he was but even then just get the rental.

Strongly recommend renting a vehicle and spending an entire day in Boulder if not one night.  With a vehicle you can do a day-drive up to Rocky Mountain National Park and Estes

Lots of great things to do in Colorado other than see Denver.  Kinda need a vehicle to get around.
If you decide to do Rocky Mountain or any Park really, book way in advance. Everything is on a reservation system now, even day trips / drive thru’s. Rocky Mountain is well worth seeing if you can fit it in though.

2nd getting a car, COVID has gutted the mass transit system. My understanding is the bus systems and rail are all still running on reduced schedules but I am still WFH so not 100% up on that. Tons of breweries in town to visit and having a car would make that much easier unless staying downtown-ish area. Not sure what’s still open though given COVID as I haven’t been in that neck of the woods in over a year.

If you decide to do Rocky Mountain or any Park really, book way in advance. Everything is on a reservation system now, even day trips / drive thru’s. Rocky Mountain is well worth seeing if you can fit it in though.

2nd getting a car, COVID has gutted the mass transit system. My understanding is the bus systems and rail are all still running on reduced schedules but I am still WFH so not 100% up on that. Tons of breweries in town to visit and having a car would make that much easier unless staying downtown-ish area. Not sure what’s still open though given COVID as I haven’t been in that neck of the woods in over a year.
I was at the Mall a few weeks ago. On a Saturday night it was crowded and everything appeared to be open.

Thanks for all of the advice.  I think I'm good on the general gameplan after this.  Any good off-the-path breweries or food spots, I'm open to suggestions.  Or can take a PM.  Thanks for the help.

Thanks for all of the advice.  I think I'm good on the general gameplan after this.  Any good off-the-path breweries or food spots, I'm open to suggestions.  Or can take a PM.  Thanks for the help.
If you're in to historic places I always recommend The Buckhorn Exchange.  One of the oldest restaurants in the country, and has the 1st liquor license granted in CO.  Was a stomping ground for Buffalo Bill and 5 Presidents have dined there.  The place just oozes history when you're there.  It's like being in a museum.

@johnnycakesCongrats on the move.  I loved my 10 years in breckenridge.

to those traveling- unless you just want to camp around 16th st, I’d get a car... really gives you more options and freedom. Mountains towns are pretty close.

johnnycakes said:
I’m now in Denver until Sunday. Picking up the keys to the rental house and taking my daughter around to see the city. 
Good timing. Last night would have been hell for traffic. 

Users who are viewing this thread