What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Juneteenth - A Public Holiday (1 Viewer)

Wow....that's pretty amazing actually.  Do we want to take a shot at the list of those in the House that vote against it?

This isn't the sort of thing that keeps me up at night, but I have a mild preference for having holidays that celebrate events (Juneteenth, Independence Day, Christmas, Thanksgiving) than people (Columbus Day, MLK Day, Presidents Day).  This one in particular seems overdue.

Let's hope they move one rather than add one.  Federal employees already get a ton of holidays.  We don't need another unproductive day from those folks.

Let's hope they move one rather than add one.  Federal employees already get a ton of holidays.  We don't need another unproductive day from those folks.
I wouldn't call 10 holidays a ton. We all work way too much in this country anyway. I would vote for 2 federal holidays per month

This isn't the sort of thing that keeps me up at night, but I have a mild preference for having holidays that celebrate events (Juneteenth, Independence Day, Christmas, Thanksgiving) than people (Columbus Day, MLK Day, Presidents Day).  This one in particular seems overdue.

EDIT: Nevermind. I hippled.

Last edited by a moderator:
And vacation leave and sick leave.  They get a veritable ton of time off.  IMO, they should get the average of what all private company employees get.
I get 28 pt days/year and 9-1/2 holidays

New Years, MLK, Prez, Memorial, 4th, Labor, Thanksgiving+Fri, 1/2 xmas eve, xmas

Work in a law firm

I've been pushing for arbor day cuz I love trees and Columbus day cuz I don't believe genocide and dispossession get enough run

Good cause to commemorate and educate. 
Mediate, alleviate
Try not to hate
Love your mate
Don't suffocate on your own hate
Designate your love as fate
A one-world state as human freight
The number eight, a white-black state
A gentle trait, the broken crate
A heavy weight or just too late?

I wouldn't call 10 holidays a ton. We all work way too much in this country anyway. I would vote for 2 federal holidays per month
I agree that we spend too much time at work but also feel that many jobs allow people to be lazy or inefficient with their time.  It is a drag that holidays bring things to a complete halt.  Rather than having holidays, we should be affording everyone more time with 3-4 day weeks or 6 hour days.

I am sure no one would want to be on record voting against this, even if the had a legitimate reason (additional tax dollars) as this would be used in campaign attack ads, every time they ran for office. 
Meh. Johnson had no problem last year bringing this thing to a halt. And while he relented, he didn't do so all that willingly.

In a press release Tuesday, Johnson backed down, saying he would not oppose another unanimous consent motion. “While it still seems strange that having taxpayers provide federal employees paid time off is now required to celebrate the end of slavery, it is clear that there is no appetite in Congress to further discuss the matter,” the Wisconsin Republican said. “Therefore, I do not intend to object.”

Meh. Johnson had no problem last year bringing this thing to a halt. And while he relented, he didn't do so all that willingly.

In a press release Tuesday, Johnson backed down, saying he would not oppose another unanimous consent motion. “While it still seems strange that having taxpayers provide federal employees paid time off is now required to celebrate the end of slavery, it is clear that there is no appetite in Congress to further discuss the matter,” the Wisconsin Republican said. “Therefore, I do not intend to object.”
Probably thinking more now about reelection. 

And vacation leave and sick leave.  They get a veritable ton of time off.  IMO, they should get the average of what all private company employees get.
You're not wrong. We gave federal employees so much time off during covid, we had to re-justify some of their jobs when they came back.

We're a year or two away from downsizing most likely.

This is generally true. And it is a shame that it wasn't more well known.
I'm embarassed to say I didn't know what it was until I watched an HBO fictional show. And I spent ~20 years learning in average to very good educational systems/schools where I, for the most part, paid attention.  

I'm embarassed to say I didn't know what it was until I watched an HBO fictional show. And I spent ~20 years learning in average to very good educational systems/schools where I, for the most part, paid attention.  
Are you talking about Watchmen? The events they depicted had nothing to do with Juneteenth

I get 28 pt days/year and 9-1/2 holidays

New Years, MLK, Prez, Memorial, 4th, Labor, Thanksgiving+Fri, 1/2 xmas eve, xmas

Work in a law firm
I officially get similar with a couple less holidays.  On the real scale, though, if we count 9/80 Friday and weekends I got -2 1/2 weeks of time off last year.  So, yeah, everyone should be be forced to work along with me.  :rant:

Yep, well said.  Not much these days get unanimous agreement in either chamber of congress.  It’s a no-brainer that should fly threw.  
So, serious question here.  If this goes through do we get a day off next week? 

For much of its history (particularly when you were in grade school) I’m pretty sure Juneteenth was mostly a Texas thing, and certainly a southern thing. 

Users who are viewing this thread