What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Noah Gray, KC (1 Viewer)

According to The Athletic's Nate Taylor, the Chiefs used more multiple-TE sets this summer, and fifth-round rookie Noah Gray has been a standout at minicamp.

Gray has been working with Patrick Mahomes and the starting offense alongside Travis Kelce. "He’s years ahead of being a rookie," Kelce said of Gray. "You can kind of give him pointers and he’s running with everything. He’s absorbing all the information that the coaches are giving him. He’s having a lot of success. He’s going to definitely help us this year.” With Sammy Watkins gone and the Chiefs doing very little at receiver in the offseason, using more tight ends could be an answer. As Taylor noted, Mahomes dropped back to pass 96 times last season in multiple-TE sets, throwing for 899 yards and nine touchdown with zero picks while taking just one sack in such formations. Gray is undersized and not overly athletic, but he did set Duke's record for most catches among tight ends in school history. Anyone playing with Mahomes is worth keeping an eye on.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 16, 2021, 3:21 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Teicher said "it's easy to see" how rookie TE Noah Gray "could get a significant amount of playing time" in 2021. 

Teicher expects Gray -- a fifth rounder out of Duke -- to play in Kansas City's multiple tight end sets. The rookie could, per Teicher, see extended playing time if the Chiefs rest Travis Kelce during parts of the NFL's new 17-game season. Patrick Mahomes dropped back 96 times last season in multiple tight end sets, throwing for 899 yards and nine touchdowns with zero picks while taking just one sack. Gray, Duke's all-time leading tight end, has stood out in KC's offseason practices as a potential weapon in the team's already-explosive passing attack. He looks like a decent late-round flier in tight end premium formats this summer. 

RELATED: 

Travis Kelce

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Jun 21, 2021, 11:32 AM ET

Took a flyer on him at 4.07 (got Bourne & the pick for Gronk) 

We'll see what happens, but I've now seen 3 stories over the last couple weeks with Andy Reid, Kelce & Mahomes liking the kid, plus talk of what a hard worker he is & how they want to use him to gibe Kelce a breather for the longer season. That adds up to a "what the heck" pick to me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
NOAH GRAY TE, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

NFL Network's James Palmer reports the Chiefs could deploy "more two tight end sets than they've ever used" in 2021. 

Palmer's report is in line with recent conjecture that the team traded up to draft Duke TE Noah Grey in the fifth round of the 2021 draft to get him on the field alongside Travis Kelce. Palmer said the Chiefs had hoped Mecole Hardman would step up as a third option in KC's passing attack, but his inconsistencies have turned the team toward more intermediate options -- possible Grey and Clyde Edwards-Helaire. "What Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes did after the Super Bowl was look at the offense and say, 'We need to make more plays in the short and intermediate passing game'" when Kelce and Tyreek Hill are covered, Palmer said. Consistent snaps and pass routes for Grey would make him an intriguing option in tight end premium formats and deeper leagues this season. CEH, who saw 54 targets in 13 games last year, remains underdrafted in early best ball leagues. 

RELATED: 

Travis Kelce

, Mecole Hardman

, Clyde Edwards-Helaire

SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter 

Jun 23, 2021, 9:56 AM ET

I picked him up then dropped him right away.  I just don't see him having any fantasy value without an injury to Kelce and I certainly wouldn't handcuff a TE.  Two tight end sets or not, there are better dart throws.

I picked him up then dropped him right away.  I just don't see him having any fantasy value without an injury to Kelce and I certainly wouldn't handcuff a TE.  Two tight end sets or not, there are better dart throws.
I have a 30-man roster, so basically a roster & taxi in one. In a league that deep I feel like he’s worth seeing what happens with those 2 TE sets. The Chiefs have been raving about him & Reid isn’t usually the subterfuge type of coach, so maybe there’s some fire with this smoke. 

Mostly agree, though I picked him up in a TE premium league and plan on holding for a season or two. If he doesn't show any flashes this year maybe I'll cut bait. 

I have a 30-man roster, so basically a roster & taxi in one. In a league that deep I feel like he’s worth seeing what happens with those 2 TE sets. The Chiefs have been raving about him & Reid isn’t usually the subterfuge type of coach, so maybe there’s some fire with this smoke. 
It's that time of year where fluff pieces happen on marginal players.  I am not saying not to pick him up but I would temper expectations.  These stories are basically overdone this time of year.

It's that time of year where fluff pieces happen on marginal players.  I am not saying not to pick him up but I would temper expectations.  These stories are basically overdone this time of year.
Oh my expectations are tempered for sure. I get it. Like the combine where everyone’s a star in the underwear Olympics. 

But if there’s a chance this kid could be something, it’s not a terrible idea to get him on the cheap. He has as much chance to be valuable as any of the other scrubs in the late 4th of a draft. And with a 31 year old Kelce, ya never know how relevant he might be if an injury hits. 

Oh my expectations are tempered for sure. I get it. Like the combine where everyone’s a star in the underwear Olympics. 

But if there’s a chance this kid could be something, it’s not a terrible idea to get him on the cheap. He has as much chance to be valuable as any of the other scrubs in the late 4th of a draft. And with a 31 year old Kelce, ya never know how relevant he might be if an injury hits. 
I just don't believe in holding a TE waiting for an injury.  I think holding a dart throw at another position makes more sense, TE premium or not.

I just don't believe in holding a TE waiting for an injury.  I think holding a dart throw at another position makes more sense, TE premium or not.
I’m not holding him waiting for injury. I’m holding him to see if 1. They do indeed use more 2 TE sets with 2 receiving TEs on the field, and 2. To see if they do indeed give Kelce more snaps off, hoping to keep him healthy in a longer season. 

Those are the two things KC said they were going to do, so it bears watching too see if they actually do that. 

as an aside, I mentioned Kelce’s age. Not as a main point of holding Gray. 

To each their own. Imma hold. You’re free to not hold. lol 

Traded up in the 5th round to get him? Okay LOL

This is a 5th round rookie TE on a team with the best TE in the game ahead of him. He isn't going to do much for the next two seasons if he ends up doing anything at all.

I think you could use the roster spot in better ways than this.

I think you could use the roster spot in better ways than this.
Sure, I could add the handcuff to my handcuff RB. Or the 6th WR IN TEN I guess.

Not sure there’s a “better” or “worse” option for my 30th roster spot. 

You seem to treat the importance of that spot far greater than I. 

Sure, I could add the handcuff to my handcuff RB. Or the 6th WR IN TEN I guess.

Not sure there’s a “better” or “worse” option for my 30th roster spot. 

You seem to treat the importance of that spot far greater than I. 
Well if you think about it every roster spot is worth the same thing. Its a roster spot. 

Well if you think about it every roster spot is worth the same thing. Its a roster spot. 
Technically accurate. When I refer to it as “my 30th” roster spot, I mean “the 1st player I’d cut if something more interesting comes along”.

I mean, maybe you’d drop your RB1 since the roster spot is worth the same. I don’t judge. ;)  

Technically accurate. When I refer to it as “my 30th” roster spot, I mean “the 1st player I’d cut if something more interesting comes along”.

I mean, maybe you’d drop your RB1 since the roster spot is worth the same. I don’t judge. ;)  
Yes I understand what you mean by 30th roster spot. I am just trying to share a different way of looking at that.

I have calculated the value of roster spots before and it is tied to the replacement level value which depends on the specific starting requirements and roster size of each league.

So you want to roster players who are above the replacement value for every roster spot that you can. Realistically you probably can't do that for every roster spot but that would be my goal.

TE usually take a bit longer to develop than other positions do and Kelce will be a huge impediment to his opportunity to do that. If you are thinking about these roster spots as trade commodities I think even after 300 or so players that there is someone more worth while to have than Grey.

I love the back and forth.  It challenges me to think differently and is really appreciate all the points of view.

I get and mostly agree with the value of roster spots but I also have to keep a couple, where possible (I also am in 30player league) but I see the and enjoy the fun in stashing a guy who might hit, if I can hold long enough.  Rarely works but if I can I like to keep a spot for this at least.  Kinda like making sure you have a little fun money in real life.  Great if you can do it but not always possible.

Yes I understand what you mean by 30th roster spot. I am just trying to share a different way of looking at that.

I have calculated the value of roster spots before and it is tied to the replacement level value which depends on the specific starting requirements and roster size of each league.

So you want to roster players who are above the replacement value for every roster spot that you can. Realistically you probably can't do that for every roster spot but that would be my goal.

TE usually take a bit longer to develop than other positions do and Kelce will be a huge impediment to his opportunity to do that. If you are thinking about these roster spots as trade commodities I think even after 300 or so players that there is someone more worth while to have than Grey.
And similarly I understand your point. 

And I’ll again say, you can do what’s right for you & I’m gonna take a flier on Gray until I see some preseason action. 

you’re talking longer term than I am. I’m talking about a couple months. I even conceded that something better might come along in the next couple months. He’s truly a “back of the roster body”. 

But IMO, he’s worth holding onto through preseason to see if the hype continues to build.

Arguing otherwise seems like kind of a a silly hill to die on for such a marginal player. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the back and forth.  It challenges me to think differently and is really appreciate all the points of view.

I get and mostly agree with the value of roster spots but I also have to keep a couple, where possible (I also am in 30player league) but I see the and enjoy the fun in stashing a guy who might hit, if I can hold long enough.  Rarely works but if I can I like to keep a spot for this at least.  Kinda like making sure you have a little fun money in real life.  Great if you can do it but not always possible.
Yeah I get it and who knows maybe I am completely wrong about Grey. i should likely shut my mouth about him specifically since I haven't even watched the guy.

I think for these end of the roster type players what I want are guys that I might be able to trade for something else, so if you think Grey can fetch better trade value than the guys on your waiver wire right now by all means add him.

And similarly I understand your point. 

And I’ll again say, you can do what’s right for you & I’m gonna take a fire on Gray until I see some preseason action. 

you’re talking longer term than I am. I’m talking about a couple months. I even conceded that something better might come along in the next couple months. He’s truly a “back of the roster body”. 

But IMO, he’s worth holding onto through preseason to see if the hype continues to build.

Arguing otherwise seems like kind of a a silly hill to die on for such a marginal player. 
Sure. My response to Battlestar fits my response to your comments as well.

From a anecdotal perspective I rostered Demitruis Harris for several seasons and I do think he is a good player but that never went anywhere. 

Kelce is older now so there is that.

grabbed him in a few deep dynasty leagues off the wire for free

i play in mostly TE prem leagues, and am deep in chiefs country. I generally grab a few lotto tickets this time of year, and a few guys to try and take advantage of the camp reports to flip later. We will see which one this kid ends up being.

Might as well get this one started with today’s unfortunate news about Kelce.

Gray’s in his third year and seems to have the confidence of the KC staff. Will his usage will be high immediately if Kelce misses any time? Or will he just be part of the messy KC receivers ensemble?

Maybe KC homers have some inside knowledge here?

Speaking this out of existence, but IF this was a serious Kelce injury, what's a reasonable ceiling to hope for?

I think we're kind of betting on a somewhat talented guy, with an emphasis on years of experience learning behind Kelce and with Mahomes more than anything, right? If I bothered rostering him as Kelce insurance, am I hoping for the low end TE1 production that's not much different from TE18, or is there more ceiling here if Kelce were to miss significant time?

It's a question that I've really struggled with over the last year with Kelce and some other decent TEs on roster. I think most dynasty owners probably have more talented TEs on their waiver wire than Gray. However, from the purely mystical standpoint of fantasy football TEs, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Gray turned out to be the correct answer for how does a Kelce owner start to pick up the pieces at the TE position. It would be so typical if picking up Gray for free, the guy playing behind Kelce and with Mahomes goes on to have more of a fantasy impact than drafting Kincaid, Laporta, McBride, Musgrave with real rookie draft capital.

Last edited:
Assuming that Kelce is out Thursday, where are we ranking Gray among TE's this week?

Crazy to have him slotted in right below Andrews, Hock, Waller and Kittle?

As someone who has never owned Kelce his entire career in any league, let me say how happy I am to see this guy's thread get bumped.

Eff you Travis

Crazy to have him slotted in right below Andrews, Hock, Waller and Kittle?
Extremely.
You may be right, of course. However, to play devil's advocate, Mahomes is gonna get his yardage in the home opener to kick off the NFL season, and Gray has had two full years in the system, assumedly learning from Kelce, and did catch over 80% of the 34 balls tossed his way last year, with just under 11 y/c.

I admit to having chuckled at this news when my opening tilt in one of dynasty leagues has my opponent with Kelce and me completely screwed at TE with nothing much happening ahead of Gray who’s sat on my bench. In to the starting lineup he goes !

Bad karma, I know , but still. I think they trust him and as aforementioned he has had time in the system and been a red zone target before on limited snaps. He’s a very fair chance for a TD and some additional yardage

For week 1, I'm thinking as good as any other back half TE1 option?

...which happens to coincide with being as good as any other TE2 option (and is probably where ECR would put him).

Grabbed him in the first waiver run of the year earlier this morning.

Holding for now, but also considering J. Ferguson (vs dreadful NYGs covering TEs), H. Henry (vs PHI), L. Musgrave (@CHI).

Have never owned Kelce of course. LOL. And now he gets hurt less than 12 hours after I drafted him for the first time BEFORE a game is even played.

I was surprised to see he had 30 catches last year? I don't know...he has the greatest QB in the league throwing to him, knows the system. I'd gather if this was mid season with bye weeks and more injuries Gray would be this week's hottest pickup.

All that said, I'm also tinkering with the idea of dumping Gray (if the injury is deemed minor and Kelce listed as questionable today) and waiting to see how it plays out. Could grab Ferguson (Sunday night game) and If I'm blowing him our or getting blown out, just dump the TE anyway to fill another need (assuming Kelce expected back next week).

I've always felt Gray was a great dynasty stash. Finding room on my roster hasn't always been easy, but I have a few shares. I'm not saying he will have Kelce stats, but in that offense what's not to like?

Whether or not Kelce is able to play Thursday, he's a 33, soon to be 34 year old TE coming off several huge workload years in a row. Considering how KC values the position and having the best QB in the league, it's a no-brainer to roster Gray in larger bench leagues. He was a great round 26-28 pick this year. Worth the swing there IMO.

KC values the position because they have a hall of famer in there right now.

To be honest, with Reid at the helm this offense may completely shift gears once Kelce slows down or retires. The Chiefs kept 7 receivers this year - normally they keep 6. It could be an outlier that means nothing but everything Reid does is SOMETHING.

And to me, this tells me he's thinking about the next evolution. We may find out tomorrow night a little bit. But I don't think Gray is going to be anything special. He's just another chess piece.

Fair points. But I'd rather have a chess piece of an offense who should toss 40+ TDs vs. a guy like Noah Fant or Mike Gesicki in the 28th round.

Crazy not to pick up Gray if available. Drafted by Andy Reid to play TE in a Mahomes-led offense which heavily features the TE.

We know Gray was talented enough to get Reid’s attention when drafted, and he’s had 3 years to learn, understand, and execute the TE role in this offense. Of course we can’t expect Kelce production, but literally half of that would be better than most other TEs.

What’s more likely-
1. The Chiefs and Mahomes completely change their offensive system and go away from the TE if Kelce is out for an extended time.
2. The Chiefs expect Gray to be ready for the role he’s been preparing to play for 3 years and the TE remains a key part of their offense.

Gray has learned from and practiced with the best. He’s likely a much better and more confident player now than he was when drafted. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Mahomes feeds him to show that they’ve got confidence in Gray and more egotistically, that Mahomes can make even the backup TE look good, as they don’t miss a beat without Kelce.

Worst case scenario, you pick him up and drop him if it doesn’t pan out. Best case scenario, you acquire Kelce light for free.

Last edited:
How many practices has Gray been working with the 1s is the question to ask (haven't been paying attention to when Kelce starting missing them) as that may inform what kind of usage he might get this week - has he been prepped enough for an increased load?

-QG

KC values the position because they have a hall of famer in there right now.

To be honest, with Reid at the helm this offense may completely shift gears once Kelce slows down or retires. The Chiefs kept 7 receivers this year - normally they keep 6. It could be an outlier that means nothing but everything Reid does is SOMETHING.

And to me, this tells me he's thinking about the next evolution. We may find out tomorrow night a little bit. But I don't think Gray is going to be anything special. He's just another chess piece.
I agree with this.

I don't think Mahommes has eyes for the TE position, he has eyes for Kelce--arguably the best to ever do it.

How many practices has Gray been working with the 1s is the question to ask (haven't been paying attention to when Kelce starting missing them) as that may inform what kind of usage he might get this week - has he been prepped enough for an increased load?

-QG
I think Gray gets a lot of snaps with the 1's. As do most of the receivers - if not all. Reid has plays that feature three tight ends from time to time. So he's always preparing each pass catcher to be ready because you just never know.

The key is the O-line. They have two new tackles, so if Mahomes has time to throw you could throw me out and he would find me.

Users who are viewing this thread