What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lacrosse, the sport not the city in Wisconsin (1 Viewer)

Fantasy_Freak

Footballguy
About three or four years ago my son, who is now 12 started playing lacrosse, for us being a hockey family this sport was very new where we didn't know the rules of lacrosse.  Recently, my son made a travel team playing in higher level lacrosse tournaments.  In fact next weekend he is playing in The Grail tournament in Indianapolis, sounds like it is a pretty big tournament.  Nonetheless, any seasoned lacrosse parents out there that can offer any insight on these tournaments, # of games, spacing of game starting times, etc?  Or any insight on preferred gear?  We have been having my son use his hockey shoulder pads gloves and elbow pads, but now want to get him more specialized gear, looking for any insight on what to do and what not to do.

Any help or recommendations you can make to a newbie will be much appreciated.

No idea what the scene is up there but I played travel ball with a club team in the south in the early 90s.

Love love love the sport. It can be rough (especially down south where big hits find a premium due to less refined stick work. Now that it's maturing that may not be the case as much.

I took and delivered some brutal hits over the years. Blew out an ankle, got concussed getting decleated so badly it bent the pencil-thick steel frame of my helmet. Smashed it on the ground till the eye holes lined back up and went back in. 

It can be A little bro-ish at times but the community is TIGHT. Your son will likely make some lifelong friends.  Lax kids tend to come from good families and are good networking contacts down the road. 

Gear ain't cheap. I used to work for True Temper / True Sports who are a rapidly growing stick/glove company. 

What gear are they pushing? We ran helmet + gloves + shoulders + arms/elbows + cup. Ribs can help but are hot and slow down your core movement. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My son (16) started playing for his high school this past year and loves it. He is playing in an informal pickup league this summer and having a blast. We bought some equipment from a lacrosse store and glommed some off friends and neighbors kids who no longer play.  I love the game as a spectator. 

Users who are viewing this thread