What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Draft Dominator Classic - Value Based Excel App (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Hi Folks,

There was some confusion as we've juggled our menus a bit.

The Draft Dominator Classic and the Value Based Excel App are live! I introduced Value Based Drafting to Fantasy Football and these tools aren't going anywhere.

We normally unveil July 4 but this year we have them ready early here. https://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=footballguys-classic-drafting-apps.  Our @Bruce Henderson is crushing these as usual with help from our @Clayton Gray and @Austin Lee .

The links will be on the main website here soon. 

Enjoy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for providing this!

I do have ranking problems with Mahomes being the #1 pick in a 1 QB league with .5 PPR and with 3 QBs (and both early and mid first round rookie draft picks) going in the first 11 highest valued players? I didn't get any further.

Thanks for providing this!

I do have ranking problems with Mahomes being the #1 pick in a 1 QB league with .5 PPR and with 3 QBs (and both early and mid first round rookie draft picks) going in the first 11 highest valued players? I didn't get any further.
Thanks. Let me ask our @Bruce Henderson as something seems off there. We love Mahomes but not nearly that much. 

I'm just looking at player rankings. I set the filters for a 12 team league, .5 PPR listed the league's numbers for starters (1 QB, 2 RBs, 3WRs) and it sorted and replied with the results I listed. If its not showing this to anyone else, its probably something I entered incorrectly?

You're welcome, GB. Crush your drafts. 
@Joe BryantWay back in the day, long before the internet was a thing, you published an article in a FF magazine about converting the X number into an auction value. Something along the lines of dividing the money available for all starters by the total number of starter points and then multiplying each individual players X number by that dollar value, etc. etc. Not sure if you recall this. I've been using this method since the day I read that article. Has gotten me into our league playoffs every year in our league and a few championships along the way as well. Would be great if you could publish that article/method again. Or maybe I'm just imagining it.

KingPrawn said:
@Joe BryantWay back in the day, long before the internet was a thing, you published an article in a FF magazine about converting the X number into an auction value. Something along the lines of dividing the money available for all starters by the total number of starter points and then multiplying each individual players X number by that dollar value, etc. etc. Not sure if you recall this. I've been using this method since the day I read that article. Has gotten me into our league playoffs every year in our league and a few championships along the way as well. Would be great if you could publish that article/method again. Or maybe I'm just imagining it.
Thanks @KingPrawn I introduced Value Based Drafting to fantasy football way back in Emil Kadlec's fantasy football magazine. I do an update each year. Here's last year's version. https://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=2020-value-based-drafting

Thanks @KingPrawn I introduced Value Based Drafting to fantasy football way back in Emil Kadlec's fantasy football magazine. I do an update each year. Here's last year's version. https://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=2020-value-based-drafting
Joe - had a couple of questions on the excel - which I love  :wub:

Are the rankings/VBD values the same on the draft dominator as the excel VBD tool?

Whose rankings are they?  Are they done by different people?

Didn't Dodds used to do the excel VBD rankings?

Joe - had a couple of questions on the excel - which I love  :wub:

Are the rankings/VBD values the same on the draft dominator as the excel VBD tool?

Whose rankings are they?  Are they done by different people?

Didn't Dodds used to do the excel VBD rankings?
Thanks. The values will differ slightly among the tools as we've evolved some of our algorithms over the years. For this we don't use rankings, but actual statistical projections for every player. They come from our Player Projections area you can see here https://footballguys.com/draft-kit.php

Using the projections instead of rankings is what will separate us from many sites that use only rankings. Don't get me wrong, we love rankings too and we do a lot of them. But projections take things to the next level. Thanks. 

Thanks. The values will differ slightly among the tools as we've evolved some of our algorithms over the years. For this we don't use rankings, but actual statistical projections for every player. They come from our Player Projections area you can see here https://footballguys.com/draft-kit.php

Using the projections instead of rankings is what will separate us from many sites that use only rankings. Don't get me wrong, we love rankings too and we do a lot of them. But projections take things to the next level. Thanks. 
appreciate the response Joe!  

So, a question for the experts.

I just got the app for my tablet, put all the scoring in and such.

I noticed the setting where you can customize the % between VBD, Position Drop Off and Position of need.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what this is supposed to do, but using the below example:

If I have say a 60% VBD and 40% position drop off setting, lets say this scoring and superflex roster devalues RB's a little, but there are 8 RB's drafted in the first 15 picks, in theory shouldn't the app bump up a RB in the draft rankings being displayed as there was a substantial drop off of that position.

It does not really do anything from what I can tell. They only time I see an adjustment of the 3 in % is only on the initial adjustment.

So, a question for the experts.

I just got the app for my tablet, put all the scoring in and such.

I noticed the setting where you can customize the % between VBD, Position Drop Off and Position of need.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what this is supposed to do, but using the below example:

If I have say a 60% VBD and 40% position drop off setting, lets say this scoring and superflex roster devalues RB's a little, but there are 8 RB's drafted in the first 15 picks, in theory shouldn't the app bump up a RB in the draft rankings being displayed as there was a substantial drop off of that position.

It does not really do anything from what I can tell. They only time I see an adjustment of the 3 in % is only on the initial adjustment.
SteelerFan1 - this thread covers the Classic Applications using the EXCEL based data.  It's what us old timers use. In DD Classic, you can customize in different ways with historical draft data.

For the DD tablet APP, you'll need to go here: https://sportsguys.zendesk.com

Good luck. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a big fan of the DD Classic, and have been using it for years in my dynasty auction league. 

This year I am running into a problem where I am getting negative values for the DynAuction numbers. I think I am doing something wrong in my setup, but I am not sure what. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks! 

@Joe BryantSo glad to see that the VBD Excel format is still being published.   I'm curious how many other people are still using it? (like me)
And if so, I wonder how many others have customized their files?      (would like to see them)
I always thought that the file should have been updated to make it easier to use/see, but it seems to be forever "stuck in time"

here's a pic of my tricked out file from 2020:   https://imgur.com/7MH1jdd
- Conditional Formatting by position (helps to visually see the OVERALL RANKINGS column)
- Columns to the right to enter Injured Players, Contract Disputes, Wanted Players, Rookies......that then show up in different colors

it helps to have everything already set up in the file so when a new file version is published with new projections, it's easy to re-download the cheatsheet and paste values into my file and get the conditional formatting to keep my color coded "notes"

@Joe BryantSo glad to see that the VBD Excel format is still being published.   I'm curious how many other people are still using it? (like me)
And if so, I wonder how many others have customized their files?      (would like to see them)
I always thought that the file should have been updated to make it easier to use/see, but it seems to be forever "stuck in time"

here's a pic of my tricked out file from 2020:   https://imgur.com/7MH1jdd
- Conditional Formatting by position (helps to visually see the OVERALL RANKINGS column)
- Columns to the right to enter Injured Players, Contract Disputes, Wanted Players, Rookies......that then show up in different colors

it helps to have everything already set up in the file so when a new file version is published with new projections, it's easy to re-download the cheatsheet and paste values into my file and get the conditional formatting to keep my color coded "notes"
Thanks @Nemesis The newer Draft Dominator is for much more popular but I know some still love the old school VBD and we're glad to provide that for folks. I'm a believer there isn't one tool for every job. 

Users who are viewing this thread