What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 100 summer songs - 87 Summerday Sands - Jethro Tull (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
Its officially summer.

Time for an all-time list of summer songs.  

I'm still trying to cull at least 100 songs with summer or the beach or sun that fit the category.

Throwing it together at the last minute so expect flaws.

100.  One Summer Night - The Diamonds

99.  Summertime Summertime - The Jamies

98.  Summer Song- Joe Satriani

97.  Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer - Nat King Cole

96.  Summertime - George Gershwin

95.  Summertime - Stringspace Orchestra & Jazz Band

94.  Summertime - Willie Nelson

93. Summertime Live / Summertime / Studio version Janis Joplin

92.  The Fever - Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

91.  Heat Wave - Martha Reeves & the Vandellas

90.  Fire - Bruce Springsteen

89.  Summer Cannibals - Patti Smith

88. Black Summer Rain -  Eric Clapton

87. Summerday Sands - Jethro Tull

Last edited by a moderator:
Summer Breeze - Seals and Croft

This song makes me happy and makes me wish I was walking home to that special someone.

See the smile awaitin' in the kitchen
Food's cookin' and the plates for two
Feel the arms that reach out to hold me
In the evening when the day is through

96. Summertime - George Gershwin

Incredibly accomplished.  Only 39 when he died. 

Few may know who Bennett Cerf was but he was the publisher of Random House and became a famous raconteur who would give speeches all over the country.  Cerf would later become a long time panelist on what was the longest running TV show at the time called What's My Line? 

Once Cerf was down in Miami on a boys outing with George who would complain and got the reputation of a hypochondriac.  George wasn't drinking and was complaining about head aches so Bennett and the boys all kidded him.  A few months later her was dead. 

since you're not likely to be posting covers of your entries i'll inject this, one of my alltime faves 
I thought this would be a piece of cake but got caught short so I will be doing covers.

Well this topic seems to have #### the bed ...
You have no idea how close to the truth you speak, taking care of an elderly parent and its getting more difficult by the day but I will finish in a flurry once I nail down the order and clean up my list.

93. Summertime  studio version / Summertime Live - Janis Joplin

Summertime is either the most covered song of all time as listed by some sources as having over 67,000 versions or it is the 4th most covered jazz song of all-time with over 16,000 versions.

Janis Joplin did multiple versions, including two here.  The studio version is included due to the work of guitarist James Gurley whose fearless style of play was based off of John Coltrane.  I love the haunting distorted sound he got in the studio version.  

The live version by Janis is a thousand times more soulful than her studio version on Cheap Thrills.  

I could do the entire list just on this one song, its the perfect summer song.

Bracie Smathers said:
90.  Fire - Bruce Springsteen

For the burning NW.
If you had the LP and changed the speed from 33-1/3 to 45RPM, it sounded like Dolly Parton was covering the song.

edit - Whoops! that would apply to "I'm on Fire", not "Fire" (which also might be apropos for the PNW this week)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread