What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Frank Clark: Idiot of the Year nominee (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
An Uzi in a duffel bag is all you really need to know.

My god. What was he thinking? 

“Chiefs DE Frank Clark was arrested Sunday night in Los Angeles for felony illegal possession of a firearm.

According to a police report, Clark had an Uzi in a duffle bag in his SUV, discovered during a routine traffic stop Sunday evening. Clark was booked in L.A. county jail Monday morning and remains behind bars. Clark entered the NFL with an off-field history after being kicked off the Michigan football team. Acquired from the Seahawks prior to the 2019 season, Clark has 14 sacks across 31 regular-season games for the Chiefs the last two years.”

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/edge/football/nfl/player-news/headlines/10206176

An Uzi in a duffel bag is all you really need to know.

My god. What was he thinking? 

“Chiefs DE Frank Clark was arrested Sunday night in Los Angeles for felony illegal possession of a firearm.

According to a police report, Clark had an Uzi in a duffle bag in his SUV, discovered during a routine traffic stop Sunday evening. Clark was booked in L.A. county jail Monday morning and remains behind bars. Clark entered the NFL with an off-field history after being kicked off the Michigan football team. Acquired from the Seahawks prior to the 2019 season, Clark has 14 sacks across 31 regular-season games for the Chiefs the last two years.”

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/edge/football/nfl/player-news/headlines/10206176
I read about these guys having unregistered guns and I can at least understand why they own a gun.   But an uzi?  A #######g UZI?  That you're driving around with?  Who does that?

I read about these guys having unregistered guns and I can at least understand why they own a gun.   But an uzi?  A #######g UZI?  That you're driving around with?  Who does that?
Why?  Gang related stuff?  Personal threats?

Why?  Gang related stuff?  Personal threats?
I'm assuming you mean why they own a gun period.   Well, it's America, some people just want to have a gun on their person at all times.  Seems like no matter where I've lived eventually I've always come across some dude in an NRA hat/shirt and a holster on his hip.

I'm assuming you mean why they own a gun period.   Well, it's America, some people just want to have a gun on their person at all times.  Seems like no matter where I've lived eventually I've always come across some dude in an NRA hat/shirt and a holster on his hip.
I can get people wanting a gun as well.  And I don't mean that in a condescending way.  I assumed you meant "these guys" as in pro athletes, or NFL players.  Do you mean anyone that owns a gun?

I can get people wanting a gun as well.  And I don't mean that in a condescending way.  I assumed you meant "these guys" as in pro athletes, or NFL players.  Do you mean anyone that owns a gun?
I did mean nfl players/pro athletes, but yeahhhhh I get how that can be taken in a different context.  My point there was just that a pro athlete would want a gun for the same reason as any other person.

The thing is, I don't understand why guys with multimillion dollar contracts just don't go to a store or a trade show.  Going into an empty field in the middle of nowhere and lighting up a bunch of bottles with an uzi sounds like an amazing time!  And I've seen them for sale, legally, at a gun show.   So, why did Clark get one off the street?

Last edited by a moderator:
I did mean nfl players/pro athletes, but yeahhhhh I get how that can be taken in a different context.  My point there was just that a pro athlete would want a gun for the same reason as any other person.

The thing is, I don't understand why guys with multimillion dollar contracts just don't go to a store or a trade show.  Going into an empty field in the middle of nowhere and lighting up a bunch of bottles with an uzi sounds like an amazing time!  And I've seen them for sale, legally, at a gun show.   So, why did Clark get one off the street?
Man, I just think that "different context" you refer to is so deep I can't even fathom it.  I don't own a gun, but I can certainly respect people that want to.  I don't grasp needing to own one outside existing laws, and certainly don't grasp needing war type weapons outside existing laws.  It'd be easy to think it's a mental health issue, but I'm guessing it goes way deeper into race/class/upbringing/stuff I can't relate to.

I am curious to how a routine traffic stop leads to a search of a duffel bag? Is that a common thing to have your vehicle searched during a 'routine traffic stop'? It is stupid to have an unregistered gun in your car especially for a professional athlete with no financial impediments though. 

I am curious to how a routine traffic stop leads to a search of a duffel bag? Is that a common thing to have your vehicle searched during a 'routine traffic stop'? It is stupid to have an unregistered gun in your car especially for a professional athlete with no financial impediments though. 
I'm going to try to answer this in as politically neutral manner as I can.

A lot of people don't know that they can refuse to have their car searched when pulled over.  Police can also claim "probable cause" to allow them to search a vehicle, such as saying they smell marijuana. Also if something is in "plain view" it can give them probable cause, for instance if the duffel bag in question wasn't completely closed and the officer saw a gun in it.

A lot of people don't know that they can refuse to have their car searched when pulled over.  Police can also claim "probable cause" to allow them to search a vehicle, such as saying they smell marijuana. Also if something is in "plain view" it can give them probable cause, for instance if the duffel bag in question wasn't completely closed and the officer saw a gun in it.
Or he was black while driving, is the non-PC way to put it, that's likely the most accurate. But you're spot on - a cop can search your car for a million made-up reasons, and several legitimate ones. 

Or he was black while driving, is the non-PC way to put it, that's likely the most accurate. But you're spot on - a cop can search your car for a million made-up reasons, and several legitimate ones. 
But in both of these cases (and descriptions) there is still zero reason to have an unregistered Uzi in your car.  It is dumb and should never happen regardless of how it was found.  

But in both of these cases (and descriptions) there is still zero reason to have an unregistered Uzi in your car.  It is dumb and should never happen regardless of how it was found.  
Yeah I already said that a few times here.  Was just responding to the question of how a routine traffic stop becomes a vehicle search.

That seems odd. I’ve lived in gun country my whole life and never saw either

Yeah I already said that a few times here.  Was just responding to the question of how a routine traffic stop becomes a vehicle search.
Yesterday at about 9:20 p.m., Mr. Clark was pulled over in the area of Grand and Adams for a vehicle code violation," the spokesperson said Monday. "At this time, officers observed a bag with an Uzi sticking out."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/06/22/us/nfl-kansas-city-chiefs-frank-clark-arrest-spt/index.html

sure, let’s blame the police because Clark is black 

🙄

🙄
no one did that. A side-bar conversation started asking why a vehicle could or would be searched during a routine stop. 

Clark’s vehicle wasn’t even searched. The Uzi in the duffel was apparent, as was the fact that Frank Clark is a moron

It's called the plain sight doctrine. Cops can get you for whatever if the illegal contraband is in plain sight.
They can also choose to pull someone over (or not) for any real or perceived vehicular code or moving violation. 

In this case he had an uzi sticking out of a duffel bag. 

dumb. 

that said, I’ve never been pulled over for failing to use my turn signal. I know people of color who’ve had this happen multiple times.

Fortunately, not while carrying an uzi sticking out of a duffel bag.

;)  

It's why when a cop knocks on your door you step outside rather than invite them in to look around at anything suspicious in plain sight. If a cop knocks on your door, you say "hold on a minute, excuse me" open the door so minimal visual surveillance can be done and you step OUT of the apartment rather than letting them in to look.

Never invite them in without a warrant, either. If they ask if they can look around, you say, "no, you may not look around. Do you have a warrant?" If they press, say you have somewhere to go. If they ask where you're going say it's none of their business and ask if you are being detained.

That's at a house. Your car brings a whole different set of circumstances that is ever-changing and I forget what the standards are now for warrantless searches and the like.

But any invites to search will lend you culpable to legal enforcement of laws you're breaking if you invite them in without a warrant.

They can also choose to pull someone over (or not) for any real or perceived vehicular code or moving violation. 

dumb. 

that said, I’ve never been pulled over for failing to use my turn signal. I know people of color who’ve had this happen multiple times.

;)  
Right. The DA that taught our moot court class just told everybody to essentially forget their rights once they're in a vehicle as a pragmatic thing. Cops can get you for anything, wherever, whenever.

I've had cops search my car when the bars were closing without my permission. It was a high drug trafficking area, and I was yanked out of a car and they just started searching after they had run my plates. "Jason! (not my name). We know you're drunk, Jason! We're taking a look inside your car, Jason!"

Etc.

Jackboots often ignore basic rights. And if there's anything at all suspicious about you (hence the reasonable suspicion standard for autos) yer ####ed.

That seems odd. I’ve lived in gun country my whole life and never saw either
Probably because I've mostly lived in big cities or states where you basically need to submit a blood sample to get a legal firearm.  Didn't see this as much in the few times I've been in gun country, mostly people just handled their situation like it was normal.

Yesterday at about 9:20 p.m., Mr. Clark was pulled over in the area of Grand and Adams for a vehicle code violation," the spokesperson said Monday. "At this time, officers observed a bag with an Uzi sticking out."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/06/22/us/nfl-kansas-city-chiefs-frank-clark-arrest-spt/index.html

🙄
"Vehicle code violation" is shorthand for driving while black. "Bag with an uzi sticking out" is shorthand for holy eff Clark you're an idiot.

dumb. 

;)  
When I was in my teens I was an awful driver.  Pulled over constantly.  But every time I had a black friend in the passenger seat it was much worse than when I was solo or with a white friend.  Didn't matter that the terrible neighborhood we were driving in was where I lived, or I was actually driving the speed limit for once, I was white with a black guy in a bad part of town so there must have been drugs in the car.

Luckily, now I don't have any black friends because I don't have any friends at all and cops don't bother me while I drive any more.

Jackboots often ignore basic rights. And if there's anything at all suspicious about you (hence the reasonable suspicion standard for autos) yer ####ed.
Bingo. I smelled pot, unsafe speed for road conditions, you “look” like someone they have an APB on, you “acted suspicious”, etc.

There are a million & six reasons to pull you over illegitimately & a million & 6 more ways to search you once they have. 

Not all will hold up in court, but most will. Especially if it’s your word against a cop’s. 

Users who are viewing this thread