What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Draft season….Who should I keep?? (1 Viewer)

Los Osos

Footballguy
Draft season is approaching quickly if not already upon us and with the start of camp just around the corner I thought some discussion around who some of the best players are for those who play in keeper leagues would be helpful for all. 

Honest question for the masses regarding fantasy semantics.   If you play in a dynasty and are throwing back the five worst assets on your roster for the purpose of a 5 round rookie/free agent draft, doesn't this technically make every dynasty league a (deep) keeper league?   Or is there a separate term in dynasty for this expungement / trimming the fat / end of roster cuts process?

Usually when I hear 'keeper', I think of what is largely a redraft where teams are keeping 1, 2, or 3 players.   However, if you're keeping 3 or 4 players, doesn't this technically make every keeper league a dynasty in the same way that every dynasty is technically a keeper?   If keeper and dynasty are truly separate league concepts, at what point does a keeper become a dynasty?   When you keep more than 50% of your previous roster?

I think the OP is looking for more of a do I keep Kelce or Hill type of discussion.   In a dynasty where I'm keeping 19 of my 24, my decision comes down to keeping one of Hardman, Mims, and Bryan Edwards.   I've been going back and forth quite a bit already.   I'm leaning towards giving the Chiefs WR a look to see if he has made any progress.   He will probably be my first drop of the season.   I'm open to trying to reacquire Mims and Edwards in the mid-3rd round of this year's draft.  

Whether you're keeping one or 20 players,  I do think it's an interesting discussion topic to see how people are valuing their own comparable tier players.

Really it doesn't matter what you "type" of league you are in as it's just a name.  The particulars are what matter and the name is different for everyone.  For me, I define Dynasty as keeping a starting lineup or more of players.  Keeper is a keep 4 or less players.  While others may see dynasty as keep players forever where keeper is a limit to the time you can keep a player.  

For me if you are keeping 4 or less players I treat it like a redraft and keep the best players as "value" (round lost) doesn't really matter as much because you are still drafting most of your team.  

For dynasty situations then I lean towards keeping the higher upside guys at the end of the bench where if they hit they become a set it and forget it starter.  I don't really need to keep pure depth in those cases as if your starters (keepers) go down you are probably losing anyway.  

On Dynasty Leagues and their relationship to Keeper Leagues: All Brioche and Cognac are bread and brandy, but all bread and brandy is not Brioche and Cognac...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread