What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Flooring Company Trying to Screw Me ***JULY 15th Update*** (1 Viewer)

avoiding injuries

Footballguy
I’ll try and keep this short…

I ordered online 1500 sq ft of flooring from a family owned flooring company for the upstairs of my house. This company had great reviews and I spoke on the phone with them for about 15 minutes before I placed the order.  The purchase came to $4960 and was delivered very quickly by a freight company. Upon receiving the flooring, each box was labeled with the same manufacturing name and product number. My contractor laid about 1200 sq ft, and when we got to the bottom of the pallet, the final 300 sq ft is a completely different color. 
We had enough of the first color to do everything but the last 2 bedrooms. I contacted the company who told me they do not have any more of the first color and only 150 sq ft of the second color, which doesn’t help. 
They asked me what it would take to resolve the situation, so I responded with a credit for my order as well as compensation for what I paid the contractor since I might end up needing to start over. They came back with only giving me the extra flooring at no cost. That’s obviously no help. 
So, where do I go from here? I’m in Maryland and the flooring company is in the mid-west. I can leave negative online reviews and contact the BBB, but that doesn’t exactly help my situation. 
Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

I ordered online 1500 sq ft of flooring from a family owned flooring company for the upstairs of my house. This company had great reviews and I spoke on the phone with them for about 15 minutes before I placed the order.  The purchase came to $4960 and was delivered very quickly by a freight company. Upon receiving the flooring, each box was labeled with the same manufacturing name and product number. My contractor laid about 1200 sq ft, and when we got to the bottom of the pallet, the final 300 sq ft is a completely different color. 
We had enough of the first color to do everything but the last 2 bedrooms. I contacted the company who told me they do not have any more of the first color and only 150 sq ft of the second color, which doesn’t help. 
They asked me what it would take to resolve the situation, so I responded with a credit for my order as well as compensation for what I paid the contractor since I might end up needing to start over. They came back with only giving me the extra flooring at no cost. That’s obviously no help. 
So, where do I go from here? I’m in Maryland and the flooring company is in the mid-west. I can leave negative online reviews and contact the BBB, but that doesn’t exactly help my situation. 
Thoughts?
BBB can be effective.  It really depends how much this family business cares about their rating.  

Is this a discontinued color?  Is it something special that cannot be found anywhere?  I wouldn't expect the company to compensate you for redoing what was already installed.  The simple solution is like ChiefD said.  Locate the product elsewhere and have the original company reimburse you for the cost of replacing what was missing from the original order.  

ETA:  What is the product?  Hard wood, vinyl, tile?  Could the color difference just be a variation issue?  Is it a totally different product?  It also doesn't seem like the company is trying to screw you.  There was a mistake and they are suggesting giving you a refund for what you can't use.  I am just not sure what else they should really be responsible for.  

Last edited by a moderator:
BBB can be effective.  It really depends how much this family business cares about their rating.  
tbh, they aren't that effective. They have zero power, and are kind of known (by businesses anyway) as a bit of a scam / paid endorsement. People put up that BBB logo all the time without any link/etc. 

Google reviews >>> BBB. The downside there is if they already have a ton of good reviews, an occasional bad one becomes meaningless.

For the OP: Probably no way they reimburse you for the entire job (I sympathize with you, but that's a pretty big ask). Maybe pick a "close enough" color for the other two rooms? That's what I'd do. Or, like others have said, track down the original color if available and have them reimburse you?    

tbh, they aren't that effective. They have zero power, and are kind of known (by businesses anyway) as a bit of a scam / paid endorsement. People put up that BBB logo all the time without any link/etc. 

Google reviews >>> BBB. The downside there is if they already have a ton of good reviews, an occasional bad one becomes meaningless.

For the OP: Probably no way they reimburse you for the entire job (I sympathize with you, but that's a pretty big ask). Maybe pick a "close enough" color for the other two rooms? That's what I'd do. Or, like others have said, track down the original color if available and have them reimburse you?    
They helped me out with Samsung who tried to rip me off on my cell phone trade in.  Three phone calls and two hours talking to Samsung did nothing.  But shortly after BBB came involved, Samsung was finally responsive and admitted they were in the wrong.  

Thanks for the quick responses. The company I ordered from said it wasn’t available, but I just went onto the manufacturer’s website and found the 2 colors that were sent to me. I can’t order directly from them, so I shared the link with the original company. Hopefully they are receptive and do the right thing. 
Thanks @ChiefD

Thoughts?
More than likely it's the manufacturer who is at fault.  They probably drop shipped it directly from them. 

They helped me out with Samsung who tried to rip me off on my cell phone trade in.  Three phone calls and two hours talking to Samsung did nothing.  But shortly after BBB came involved, Samsung was finally responsive and admitted they were in the wrong.  
That's awesome. First I heard of them actually having teeth in the last decade (they were definitely a thing years ago.)  

Thoughts?
I hate to say this but it's not the first time I am hearing this story, somebody is completely liable for fraud here. You paid for 1500 sq ft of one particular color tile and didn't get it...any chance you paid with a really good credit card...I would start trying to get the charges reversed, a couple of those higher end cards that are harder to come by have some pretty gnarly protection clauses. 

You could sue them in small claims court for the $5,000 your owed plus court costs....

That company really screwed you by having different color tiles on the bottom of the pallet, how does that ever happen?

This is not just a simple oops, you got all the way into the bottom of the pallet, those are the first boxes down at the bottom, they loaded 300 sq ft of bunk and then 1200 of your tiles

-I might go for a car ride with my credit card and have my bank on the line as I walk in this place. Maybe they should have their VISA/MC/American Express and Discover accounts suspended, that's all part of paying by credit card, everyone is supposed to be protected and when businesses pull these stunts for whatever the reason including total incompetence by the pallet stacker prior to it coming your way, those companies like Mastercard will not be happy they are doing these things and angering customers. I'd be pretty livid but other than causing massive headaches to how they take in payment, you're not going to likely get an even steven out of this, I would start calling the credit card companies assuming that is how you paid for things. 

What about when a FBG shines the black eyed Joe symbol into the night sky, and football guys, and all of their aliases come marching in to do their part by leaving a 1 star?  By then, OP Will not only have new marble floors, but marble on the walls & ceilings as well.  All free of charge.

Just put up the symbol if you need us.

I hate to say this but it's not the first time I am hearing this story, somebody is completely liable for fraud here. You paid for 1500 sq ft of one particular color tile and didn't get it...any chance you paid with a really good credit card...I would start trying to get the charges reversed, a couple of those higher end cards that are harder to come by have some pretty gnarly protection clauses. 

You could sue them in small claims court for the $5,000 your owed plus court costs....

That company really screwed you by having different color tiles on the bottom of the pallet, how does that ever happen?

This is not just a simple oops, you got all the way into the bottom of the pallet, those are the first boxes down at the bottom, they loaded 300 sq ft of bunk and then 1200 of your tiles

-I might go for a car ride with my credit card and have my bank on the line as I walk in this place. Maybe they should have their VISA/MC/American Express and Discover accounts suspended, that's all part of paying by credit card, everyone is supposed to be protected and when businesses pull these stunts for whatever the reason including total incompetence by the pallet stacker prior to it coming your way, those companies like Mastercard will not be happy they are doing these things and angering customers. I'd be pretty livid but other than causing massive headaches to how they take in payment, you're not going to likely get an even steven out of this, I would start calling the credit card companies assuming that is how you paid for things. 
Thanks for the response. I did pay with my Capital One card and they have been awesome for years. I’ll look into that this morning. They are located in Indiana while I’m in Maryland, so going into the store isn’t an option. If I did small claims court, I wonder if it would be here or there? Also, does buying online and shipping over state lines affect anything??

What’s really starting to bother me a lot is that I have my daughters bedroom down to the subfloor, my contractor is onto his next job and this company is taking days to respond back to me each time. No sense of urgency at all. Like they couldn’t care less about me and my situation. 
Let me get this settled and then the bat signal will go up. 

Fwiw...this isnt the sign of a company telling you to pound sand.

Chief has the right answer... Hope this works out- that you can get the material and that the company compensates you for it.

Fwiw...this isnt the sign of a company telling you to pound sand.

Chief has the right answer... Hope this works out- that you can get the material and that the company compensates you for it.
Hopefully. But their lack of response and zero sense of urgency is worrisome at best, and downright disrespectful at worst. 

If you don't get anywhere, the guy that wrote this article could probably help you out and either give you advice or get actively involved. Worth shooting him an email . . . 

LINK

Can you post the exact type of flooring you need? Model number, color, etc.

I have a few contractor friends that might have some connections to suppliers.  

I emailed and called the company again today. The number I have is a cell phone of one of the owners. He declined my call as I was sent to his voicemail after 1 1/2 rings. I left him a message saying I found the flooring elsewhere and asked if they would reimburse me. 

I used my Capital One credit card to pay for the order. They are a very, very good credit card company if anyone cares. Anyway, I explained my situation and they have disputed the charge with the company. They’ll be crediting my entire purchase and it is now up to the vendor to show they sent the correct product (which they didn’t). 

At this point, I'm not understanding the problem.  They already offered to give you the extra flooring at no cost.  So you paid for what's been installed (and you have 300 sq ft of unused flooring for free).  Simply order what you need from the manufacturer with the invoice they provided and then have the contractor install it like he was going to anyway.  Even if you can't order it directly, your contractor that is installing the floor surely can.  It doesn't seem you're out anything at this point other than the time to make those phone calls and the delay with the contractor to install it (which hopefully should be minimal if it's only 300 sq ft that needs installing).

Was the box with the wrong color tile labeled the same as the correct ones?  If it said a different color on it, that's the vendor's fault.

Your credit card people should be able to fix this for you.  That's why you pay that way.

gianmarco said:
At this point, I'm not understanding the problem.  They already offered to give you the extra flooring at no cost.  So you paid for what's been installed (and you have 300 sq ft of unused flooring for free).  Simply order what you need from the manufacturer with the invoice they provided and then have the contractor install it like he was going to anyway.  Even if you can't order it directly, your contractor that is installing the floor surely can.  It doesn't seem you're out anything at this point other than the time to make those phone calls and the delay with the contractor to install it (which hopefully should be minimal if it's only 300 sq ft that needs installing).
Ok, legacy tree guy

😋

avoiding injuries said:
I used my Capital One credit card to pay for the order. They are a very, very good credit card company if anyone cares. Anyway, I explained my situation and they have disputed the charge with the company. They’ll be crediting my entire purchase and it is now up to the vendor to show they sent the correct product (which they didn’t). 
Why would they credit the entire purchase? Didn't you ask them to just credit the unused portion?

Mrs. Rannous said:
Was the box with the wrong color tile labeled the same as the correct ones?  If it said a different color on it, that's the vendor's fault.

Your credit card people should be able to fix this for you.  That's why you pay that way.
Identical label on all the boxes. 

gianmarco said:
Actually, they said they would credit me if I returned the “factory sealed” boxes if I returned them. I obviously had to open the boxes to check the color since they all had the same label. It’s also 20 boxes, each weighing about 45lbs, so close to 1/2 a ton. That’s a pretty big inconvenience. 
The product they said they would ship me is the dark color that I only had a few hundred sqft. So another couple hundred doesn’t help at all. 
At this point, I’m astonished that they haven’t accepted any responsibility or tried harder to rectify the situation. That’s why big box stores are putting these smaller places out of business. 

avoiding injuries said:
:towelwave:

Actually, they said they would credit me if I returned the “factory sealed” boxes if I returned them. I obviously had to open the boxes to check the color since they all had the same label. It’s also 20 boxes, each weighing about 45lbs, so close to 1/2 a ton. That’s a pretty big inconvenience. 
The product they said they would ship me is the dark color that I only had a few hundred sqft. So another couple hundred doesn’t help at all. 
At this point, I’m astonished that they haven’t accepted any responsibility or tried harder to rectify the situation. That’s why big box stores are putting these smaller places out of business. 
They were willing to give you extra flooring at no cost but not willing to credit you for the incorrect 300 sq ft without returning them? This makes no sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread