What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Raiders DL Carl Nassib announces that he is gay, the first active NFL player to do so. (1 Viewer)

squistion

Footballguy
There was a thread about this in the Shark Pool.

Anyway the mods nuked the thread and I expect more news about this, so I am restarting the thread here. I did some posts here in the LGBT+ thread but they got lost in the discussion about Andy Ngo and Antifa.

So, here we go: (and feel free to share your opinions on the announcement and possible repercussions on his team, the NFL, sports and society in general)

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1407095401287589892

Las Vegas Raiders DE Carl Nassib comes out as gay He also announced a $100K donation to the Trevor Project, a suicide prevention organization for LGBTQ youth.

Reaction from Raiders Organization and Roger Goodell :

https://twitter.com/Raiders/status/1407103250134827010

Las Vegas Raiders @Raiders Jun 21

Proud of you, Carl ❤️

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1407116630002438144

NFL Update @MySportsUpdate 43m

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Carl Nassib:

"The NFL family is proud of Carl for courageously sharing his truth today. Representation matters. We share his hope that someday soon statements will no longer be newsworthy as we march toward full equality for LGBTQ+ community."

Edited.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

I edited your post to remove your shots at other people. 

Goodell's statement says it all. "The NFL family is proud of Carl for courageously sharing his truth today. Representation matters. We share his hope that someday soon statements will no longer be newsworthy as we march toward full equality for LGBTQ+ community."

That's exactly how I see it and exactly how I want us to treat it at Footballguys. 

I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

Goodell's statement says it all. "The NFL family is proud of Carl for courageously sharing his truth today. Representation matters. We share his hope that someday soon statements will no longer be newsworthy as we march toward full equality for LGBTQ+ community."

That's exactly how I see it and exactly how I want us to treat it at Footballguys. 
Some people in the thread that vanished in the Shark Pool said that Nassib would be a locker room distraction for the Raiders and would result in negative consequences for the NFL and all its teams. And the comments in that thread were not all positive or supportive of Nassib, I would guess about 20% had an anti-gay or homophobic flavor to them.

Hopefully there will be no blowback on Nassib like there was for Michael Sam. 

I would like to believe this will turn out to be a non-story once the season begins, but we will have to see it play out to know for sure.

I thought there was already openly gay nfl players? 
Not openly and currently active on a roster. I'd expect there are more than Nassib but are just not open about it. Michael Sam was openly gay and drafted a little while back but is not on a current roster. 

There was a thread about this in the Shark Pool.

Anyway the mods nuked the thread and I expect more news about this, so I am restarting the thread here. I did some posts here in the LGBT+ thread but they got lost in the discussion about Andy Ngo and Antifa.

So, here we go: (and feel free to share your opinions on the announcement and possible repercussions on his team, the NFL, sports and society in general)

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1407095401287589892

Las Vegas Raiders DE Carl Nassib comes out as gay He also announced a $100K donation to the Trevor Project, a suicide prevention organization for LGBTQ youth.

Reaction from Raiders Organization and Roger Goodell :

https://twitter.com/Raiders/status/1407103250134827010

Las Vegas Raiders @Raiders Jun 21

Proud of you, Carl ❤️

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1407116630002438144

NFL Update @MySportsUpdate 43m

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Carl Nassib:

"The NFL family is proud of Carl for courageously sharing his truth today. Representation matters. We share his hope that someday soon statements will no longer be newsworthy as we march toward full equality for LGBTQ+ community."

Edited.
Good for Carl. I am sure as a gay man this makes you happy as well. In 2021 this is not such a big deal anymore though. I agree with Goodell that in 2021 this should not be noteworthy and people should not have to tell anyone what they are or are not.

Some people in the thread that vanished in the Shark Pool said that Nassib would be a locker room distraction for the Raiders and would result in negative consequences for the NFL and all its teams. And the comments in that thread were not all positive or supportive of Nassib, I would guess about 20% had an anti-gay or homophobic flavor to them.

I would like to believe this will turn out to be a non-story once the season begins, but we will have to see it play out to know for sure.
I still don't understand what you're looking for. Were you hoping for negative response here so you could insult them again? 

I'll say it again if you missed it above. 

That's exactly how I see it and exactly how we are going to treat it at Footballguys. 

If you want something more than that, take it to another website. 

Michael Sam didn't make a NFL regular season roster and retired completely after a couple of years in the CFL.   Before that Brendon Ayanbadejo (who advocated for same sex marriage starting around 2009) and Chris Kluwe were straight.    I think those are the standard bearers - until now. 

The good news is the NFLs reaction today versus 2009 and 2104.  Though it seemed that things were starting to change in 2012 in locker rooms where this was discussed.  But in any case I hope this quote is accurate

"I think the good thing about the NFL is it's really a young guys' sport and the younger players are a lot more accepting and understanding of the fight for equality for LGBTQ+," Ayanbadejo said.

I don't think there have been openly gay players on an active roster.  Michael Sam got drafted by the Rams, but did not make the active roster.  There are also a few players who came out as gay after they had already retired.

I still don't understand what you're looking for. Were you hoping for negative response here so you could insult them again? 

I'll say it again if you missed it above. 

Except everyone did not treat it that way in the thread in the Shark Pool. 

Being the first openly gay active player is a milestone, is newsworthy and will continue to be so. I think this deserves it own thread to see if it plays out as we hope. 

Except everyone did not treat it that way in the thread in the Shark Pool. 
That's why the thread is gone. It's not that difficult.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not just looking for someone to disagree so you can insult them again, but that's what it looks like. Goodell's statement is where we are. Full stop. If you want to try to make it negative, find another website to do it with. 

It's because there was no discussion to be had the first time. 
Right. Goodell is the spokesperson for the league and he was clear in what he said. 

From Colin Cowherd on FOX to the Raiders to the rest of the league, the response has been consistent. 

Maybe this is a positive i feel it is. But im very dis interested in a person's sexuality.  Regardless of their profession.  

Bout the same to me if he came out and said liked beets.   Big shrug. 

Maybe this is a positive i feel it is. But im very dis interested in a person's sexuality.  Regardless of their profession.  

Going to quote Ayanbadejo again-

"I think we have to take the approach that it matters until it doesn't matter anymore," he said. "We get more progressive and more accepting as times goes by. I think we're trying to go from a point of tolerance to acceptance. They are two very different things.

"Like with Jackie Robinson being the first Black player in the MLB, Carl is going to be the first openly gay player to play in a regular-season game. Hopefully, we get to a point where it doesn't even register, but we're not there yet. These watershed moments, we have to celebrate and acknowledge them. Hopefully in 10 years, if there are a bunch of guys that are gay, we don't even talk about it. Maybe it's 10 years or maybe it's one year. I don't know, but the sooner the better."

Best part about this whole thing is that this guy's message was met with a big shrug for the most part.

Would not have been the case just a short time ago.

Big, big progress.

I guess I'm good then. Cause it doesn't matter anymore to me.

Never really mattered to me at all anyway
That's great it doesn't matter to you.  Doesn't matter to me but i see it as a positive

The thing is that it really, really does matter to a lot of people.  Both in positive and negative ways

That's great it doesn't matter to you.  Doesn't matter to me but i see it as a positive

The thing is that it really, really does matter to a lot of people.  Both in positive and negative ways
So does beets.   Always will. You will never ever get everyone to agree on beets.

So does beets.   Always will. You will never ever get everyone to agree on beets.
I for one enjoy beets :)   Put one in my smoothie every morning

But I have trouble equating a young kid looking for positive, strong role models living in a house or a city or a state that does not support who he is (and there are plenty still out there) and seeing something like this and it just lights a fire in his/her heart with beets.

I get it, we are rational adults and most of us are over this but there is still a lot that aren't.  

I for one enjoy beets :)   Put one in my smoothie every morning

But I have trouble equating a young kid looking for positive, strong role models living in a house or a city or a state that does not support who he is (and there are plenty still out there) and seeing something like this and it just lights a fire in his/her heart with beets.

I get it, we are rational adults and most of us are over this but there is still a lot that aren't.  
Sure.   I was only making the point that I dont care.  Thats all.  I dont speak for everyone else. 

Sam couldnt play.

The really big deal here is that this seems like no big deal.
Agreed.  There will always be a small minority who have a problem with stuff like that, but acceptance for this is pretty widespread now, as it should be.  America has really progressed in the 21st century, no doubt about it. :yes:  

Dude, they nuked the thread in the Shark Pool because you kept spamming it like you always do. You and Shaq90 essentially made it unreadable. You then compared yourself to Faust when people asked you to stop, which I'll say one thing about: There's a reason the owners of this site allowed him to pick his descriptor of himself under his handle and why you don't even get an avatar anymore. He's indeed the MVP. You're a spammer.

Agree this is no big deal and not really news.  I don't know anyone that cares if a player is gay or not.  Michael Sam was the first for me even if he never played in a regular season game.  He was drafted, in training camp and on a team.

Agree this is no big deal and not really news.  I don't know anyone that cares if a player is gay or not.  Michael Sam was the first for me even if he never played in a regular season game.  He was drafted, in training camp and on a team.
It really isn't a big deal at all. 

I think Michael Sam only stayed in the headlines because that was what ESPN and the sports media wanted.

I know this is a big deal for LGBTQ community and I tip my hat to Nassib for having the courage for coming out.

Personally my reaction is:  Cool you are gay but I really don't care.  Just go out and play some football. 

The NBA and MLB still have never had an openly gay active player right?

The only thing I remember is the one guy in the NBA that came out shortly after he retired.

Was hesitant to click on this thread but so excited it turned into a beet discussion. Can't beat a good steak salad with beets, goat cheese, and candied walnuts.

Also, Nassib seems like the absolutely perfect player to go first and come out while active. Good for him.

As a Raiders fan, I hope that shedding the burden of hiding this enables him to go full beast mode and record 27.5 sacks this coming season.

Was hesitant to click on this thread but so excited it turned into a beet discussion. Can't beat a good steak salad with beets, goat cheese, and candied walnuts.
that sounds good

With the roasted beets on occasion my wife cuts  goat cheese into a medallion and gives it a quick sautéing and drizzles the beets with a touch of balsamic 

Users who are viewing this thread