What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

People who take a Disney Vacation NOW really disappoint me (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
The title is going to enrage a few of you so let me share as a Native Floridian who used to drive the I-4 corridor back in 1995 when we closed up the clubs in Tampa at 9am and then take off for Disney and yes we would drop acid when we got there and tour EPCOT the far superior park to Disney although I will say the Pirates of the Caribbean is a whole adventure by itself, I remember the walls breathing as you were entering and exiting that ride. Let's be real here, most of the folks in those parks were not having the same trip as we were, haha! 

The reason I put this in the politics forum is part of my irritability stems from the Mouse House and everything it owns including but not limited to ABC and especially ESPN, then add in they have the rights to Marvel, Star Wars and I start wondering out loud "How the flip did we let this happen?" The constant hammer over the head in quite a number of their Sports programming on ESPN to the point I can't even watch it any more. Or how about how Disney is still running commercials with little children outside wearing a mask when we all know its virtually impossible to catch it outdoors not to mention we mostly have moved past this point yet we are still getting a daily reminder, keep stoking that fire as long as humanly possible. Every night on the TB Rays/MIA Marlins games every half inning I gotta see a kid outside wearing a mask acting like they are having the time of their lives...btw did they explain to this little girl how she was being filmed running around the park? Does she have any clue how that will look down the road in a few years? Exploitation of minors for their political gain is another beef I have with the Mouse House. 

Next, I have been reading that now they are catering to the rich. And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it like well over $100 to get into one of these parks for the day? The Hotels are usually pretty pricey too that Disney owns and operates. The food is expensive and I know folks will dazzle us with these money saving things they do to enjoy Disney, who goes on vacation to save money? I do have an MoP style exchange while I was away in the Mountains, yeah let's jump to Ashevile, NC and the Fairfield Inn by Marriott...

(Side trip) We wake up on the 4th Floor to the sounds of workers drilling and pounding thru cement and whatnot at 7AM trying to fix the pool and hot tub down stairs, I said you gotta be kidding me. Mrs calls the front desk, pay close attention here because you all like to paint me sometimes as a villain when in fact I am the person standing up for others. Wife calls down and my wife has a sweet sounding voice, and she is always calm but I could hear that things were not going well and she started to sound like she was about to raise her voice and I took the phone out of her hand and asked the lady on the phone why she was arguing with my wife and upsetting her.  HER WORDS..."What do you expect me to do? There's nothing I can do?" Now I did not start yelling but that was the wrong thing to say to me. I replied to her "Oh there's a lot you can do and I'm going to help enlighten you, let's start by apologizing for waking up everyone in the building by 7am, I couldn't have been the first call of the day" to which she said there have been other calls before we called down complaining...so see she knew the #### was about to hit the fan. 

I called the corp number on my cell phone while this woman was yelling at me and then I politely hung up with her after I informed her I was on the phone with Marriott now and would not require any more of her terrific hotel service. I #### you not, I couldn't even get the complaint lodged and the actual hotel manager called me and started an apology the likes I have not heard in a very long time. He started by knocking off $50 from our room, that was generous I thought, good of him to start right off with money. So I asked him how come my wife could NOT get the same treatment that her husband, the MAN seems to get when things need to be fixed...he stuttered a bit and then comped the room for the night, I disconnected from Marriott corporate, no complaint in his file now. 

(Back to Disney) Why would you want to support that place? Isn't it time we sat down and leveled with some of our children? Maybe get the video game consoles or baby sitters as I refer to them, maybe time to shut it off for a bit and go play ball with your children? Or maybe it's time to shut that TV off because that TV is costing you a lot of money and a lot of unnecessary heartache with all their ads and programs and stories trying to tell us how to behave and live life. Turn that thing OFF because the only reason you are going to Disney World is because your children watch TV and watch things that influence and control their lives which in turn somehow control yours. So those of you that choose Disney this summer in the 100 degree heat of Central Orlando, you can't get a lot further from the beaches than Central Florida. Give me 5 days on St Pete Beach vs a 5 Day stay at Mosquito World, you folks enjoy though. 

For those who cannot connect the dots...If you support the Disney theme parks and spend thousands and thousands on these trips, you're supporting their politics which reaches down into the depths of ABC, ESPN, Disney, the crummy new Star Wars movies and they are horrible. I didn't think they could bottom out past Attack of the Clones but we found a couple along the way that easily push that out of the bottom including side projects like Solo. But please stop supporting this place, let it rot. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t understand. 
Yeah, I told my wife I refused to go to Disney in 2021 and think those going now are a bit crazy, but I, uh, haven't taken this stance for any of the reasons listed in the OP and I'm not entirely sure I understand them. 

I don’t understand. 
I understand Tim, what i'm saying is now that we have gone thru the pandemic and had a chance to re-evaluate things and maybe live a more commercial free life without being constantly pushed to buy and to partake in something that really isn't that much fun.

In this example I have presented up top in the OP Tim, I am trying to put a spotlight on something people should stop participating in as often and freely as they do. I thought the pandemic allowed for all of us to reflect on what is truly important in life and to be thankful for some of the things we do have, not trying to run with the Masked Up Joneses to Disney World because the TV tells people its suddenly OK to come out again. 

I heard there were going to be permanent changes at Disney, things that were happening prior won't be happening going forward so I also think some folks are going to try and reignite something that really isn't there anymore the way they remember it as children. 

And their is a huge left wing political push from ABC/Disney and that is obvious on the TV as well as ESPN, it's not that difficult to connect the dots unless you just don't want to and I'll understand. 

It wasn't Florida, but I just got back from a vacation at Disneyland in Anaheim.  They are operating at reduced capacity, so the wife and I thought it would be a good time to go without the usual crowds.  Turned out to be a nice little trip.

I don't understand your point at all.  You used to go all the time, but now kids today need to get off of the TV and play outside?  I've got news for you.  At Disneyland you don't sit there and watch TV.  You walk thousands upon thousands of steps with the kids.  It's a vacation, and one of the few we will do this year.  In a few weeks we are going to Tahoe where we will do all sorts of outdoor activities (hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, swimming, paddle boarding, etc).  Kids have enough time in their childhood to do sports, play outside in the neighborhood and also watch some TV/movies and play video games.

It wasn't Florida, but I just got back from a vacation at Disneyland in Anaheim.  They are operating at reduced capacity, so the wife and I thought it would be a good time to go without the usual crowds.  Turned out to be a nice little trip.

I don't understand your point at all.  You used to go all the time, but now kids today need to get off of the TV and play outside?  I've got news for you.  At Disneyland you don't sit there and watch TV.  You walk thousands upon thousands of steps with the kids.  It's a vacation, and one of the few we will do this year.  In a few weeks we are going to Tahoe where we will do all sorts of outdoor activities (hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, swimming, paddle boarding, etc).  Kids have enough time in their childhood to do sports, play outside in the neighborhood and also watch some TV/movies and play video games.
I'm thrilled you and your wife had a good time, you probably can have fun in a phone booth together, I'm not laughing at you, I'm happy if it made you happy. You sound like fun people.

Tahoe over Disney any day of the week. I understand if you have kids, I still think people should opt for other things and stay local, no need to book airline tickets to Orlando and Kissimmee, people see those places and think Florida and the folks in it are like that Mouse Trap up there. 

ok, as the resident Disney expert over at the FFA, I'll try and unpack this as best I can.  

1. The Disney Empire: How did we let it happen? The Disney Company has been a media conglomerate for a very long time. In terms of actual revenue, the theme parks make up a very small percentage of their overall business. But to that, they compete directly with Universal and bought Marvel and SW (and 21st Century Fox) in part as ways of bolstering their theme park offerings. 

2. Commercials: Do you realize how long it takes to shoot a TV commercial, esp of Disney's standards? Let alone the media buying schedule. They just dropped the mask mandate. Its not like they can just reshoot, edit and replace ads in inventory overnight. I'm sure those mask ads will run their course and be replaced with non masked ads soon enough. As for "what they are doing to the kid" stuff....I hate to say it but kids adopted the masks as norm a lot easier than their parents. Just look at the elementary schools. I need to tell my son to take the damn thing off or else he'd wear it all day. But also, that kid is a model, paid to do whatever the director tells them to do. There is no more long term damage over this than dressing the kid up in a funny outfit and having them bark for some other shoot. 

3. Disney is not "Catering to the Rich" They have always been expensive, but every year the can and will rise prices. Why? Just look, the parks are packed. No one, at least not enough, people are choosing not to go. So do you expect them to lower the price? Esp after they were closed outright and lost millions > billions in revenue? Yes, are they nickle and dimming people and experiences now, yes, but a lot of it is to try and recoup some lost money. You mention ticket costs...people have complained that the parks are just too crowded. So one way to thin them out (and still make the money they need) is to raise the ticket prices. This will naturally exclude some people, or make some go less often. Therefore dispersing the crowds a bit...but even thats not working. 

4. Awesome job berating the desk jockey who had nothing to do with scheduling or stopping the construction. I get it you were pissed, but go to the source where you can get satisfaction, the manager and not some young kid. 

5. Why support Disney? Because you want to. No one is holding a gun to your head and saying book this ####### trip!!!  Why would I want to support a cartel controlled place like Cancun, or a city like LA that riddled with homelessness? Because you want to.....and thats enough justification. Does it have something to do with TV? Maybe? When my kids were young they enjoyed seeing the characters from the shows they watched. But they got older and their priories and enjoyment shifted to other areas of the resort. I travel plenty with my kids for sports and such, we play ball all the time and I have a little resort in my backyard. But its still nice to detach and go somewhere familiar away from home. And pro tip, you dont need to slog through a theme park every day all day. We spend just as much time at the resort as we do in the parks. 

6. There are no mosquitos in the parks...they cant afford the ticket prices. 

Tahoe over Disney any day of the week. I understand if you have kids,
I agree, which is why we go to Tahoe multiple times per year, while Disneyland is maybe once every 4 years.  It feels like you're making the assumption that because people go to Disney World that they do not do other non-Disney vacations.... which is ludicrous.

I agree, which is why we go to Tahoe multiple times per year, while Disneyland is maybe once every 4 years.  It feels like you're making the assumption that because people go to Disney World that they do not do other non-Disney vacations.... which is ludicrous.
I didn't ever say that even though you felt it so let's not put words in my mouth, please. 

I went to DisneyLand once with Mrs when we lived in SoCal, they had just built this big ferris wheel I think and my experience at DisneyLand, it felt very ghetto in there when we went, this was 15 yrs ago and everyone was packed in like sardines, it was not fun. The main thing we hated was a lot of folks who missed the trash cans with a variety of garbage, the park was just plain dirty. 

And if you think everyone who attends Disney also goes to Lake Tahoe every year, see I can reverse that logic, there's a lot of folks who do walk thru the Disney turnstiles and that is their vacation for the year.  

I just got back from Carolina/Georgia, went whitewater rafting on a Level 4/5, went tubing, went trail walking all these steps you speak of and we had steep inclines during parts of it. 

I appreciate you saying all this Dickies, I'm glad you spoke up but I don't see a lot of folks when i am outside these days, granted its warm but hardly anyone around now in the morning and evening time vs a year ago when folks were outside in droves. 🤷‍♂️

And their is a huge left wing political push from ABC/Disney and that is obvious on the TV as well as ESPN, it's not that difficult to connect the dots unless you just don't want to and I'll understand. 
This seems to be the only political aspect of your complaint (is it a complaint? Still not sure). 
Disney, like many corporations eager to keep the public happy, has made changes that the public desires. Some of these are progressive but I don’t regard it as a “huge left wing political push.” 

The title is going to enrage a few of you so let me share as a Native Floridian who used to drive the I-4 corridor back in 1995 when we closed up the clubs in Tampa at 9am and then take off for Disney and yes we would drop acid when we got there and tour EPCOT the far superior park to Disney although I will say the Pirates of the Caribbean is a whole adventure by itself, I remember the walls breathing as you were entering and exiting that ride. Let's be real here, most of the folks in those parks were not having the same trip as we were, haha! 

The reason I put this in the politics forum is part of my irritability stems from the Mouse House and everything it owns including but not limited to ABC and especially ESPN, then add in they have the rights to Marvel, Star Wars and I start wondering out loud "How the flip did we let this happen?" The constant hammer over the head in quite a number of their Sports programming on ESPN to the point I can't even watch it any more. Or how about how Disney is still running commercials with little children outside wearing a mask when we all know its virtually impossible to catch it outdoors not to mention we mostly have moved past this point yet we are still getting a daily reminder, keep stoking that fire as long as humanly possible. Every night on the TB Rays/MIA Marlins games every half inning I gotta see a kid outside wearing a mask acting like they are having the time of their lives...btw did they explain to this little girl how she was being filmed running around the park? Does she have any clue how that will look down the road in a few years? Exploitation of minors for their political gain is another beef I have with the Mouse House. 

Next, I have been reading that now they are catering to the rich. And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it like well over $100 to get into one of these parks for the day? The Hotels are usually pretty pricey too that Disney owns and operates. The food is expensive and I know folks will dazzle us with these money saving things they do to enjoy Disney, who goes on vacation to save money? I do have an MoP style exchange while I was away in the Mountains, yeah let's jump to Ashevile, NC and the Fairfield Inn by Marriott...

(Side trip) We wake up on the 4th Floor to the sounds of workers drilling and pounding thru cement and whatnot at 7AM trying to fix the pool and hot tub down stairs, I said you gotta be kidding me. Mrs calls the front desk, pay close attention here because you all like to paint me sometimes as a villain when in fact I am the person standing up for others. Wife calls down and my wife has a sweet sounding voice, and she is always calm but I could hear that things were not going well and she started to sound like she was about to raise her voice and I took the phone out of her hand and asked the lady on the phone why she was arguing with my wife and upsetting her.  HER WORDS..."What do you expect me to do? There's nothing I can do?" Now I did not start yelling but that was the wrong thing to say to me. I replied to her "Oh there's a lot you can do and I'm going to help enlighten you, let's start by apologizing for waking up everyone in the building by 7am, I couldn't have been the first call of the day" to which she said there have been other calls before we called down complaining...so see she knew the #### was about to hit the fan. 

I called the corp number on my cell phone while this woman was yelling at me and then I politely hung up with her after I informed her I was on the phone with Marriott now and would not require any more of her terrific hotel service. I #### you not, I couldn't even get the complaint lodged and the actual hotel manager called me and started an apology the likes I have not heard in a very long time. He started by knocking off $50 from our room, that was generous I thought, good of him to start right off with money. So I asked him how come my wife could NOT get the same treatment that her husband, the MAN seems to get when things need to be fixed...he stuttered a bit and then comped the room for the night, I disconnected from Marriott corporate, no complaint in his file now. 

(Back to Disney) Why would you want to support that place? Isn't it time we sat down and leveled with some of our children? Maybe get the video game consoles or baby sitters as I refer to them, maybe time to shut it off for a bit and go play ball with your children? Or maybe it's time to shut that TV off because that TV is costing you a lot of money and a lot of unnecessary heartache with all their ads and programs and stories trying to tell us how to behave and live life. Turn that thing OFF because the only reason you are going to Disney World is because your children watch TV and watch things that influence and control their lives which in turn somehow control yours. So those of you that choose Disney this summer in the 100 degree heat of Central Orlando, you can't get a lot further from the beaches than Central Florida. Give me 5 days on St Pete Beach vs a 5 Day stay at Mosquito World, you folks enjoy though. 

For those who cannot connect the dots...If you support the Disney theme parks and spend thousands and thousands on these trips, you're supporting their politics which reaches down into the depths of ABC, ESPN, Disney, the crummy new Star Wars movies and they are horrible. I didn't think they could bottom out past Attack of the Clones but we found a couple along the way that easily push that out of the bottom including side projects like Solo. But please stop supporting this place, let it rot. 
All of this sounds avoidable if you just told your kids. "No.  We aren't going to Disney"

The rest is on you pal 

GordonGekko on a timeout?

ok, as the resident Disney expert over at the FFA, I'll try and unpack this as best I can.  

1. The Disney Empire: How did we let it happen? The Disney Company has been a media conglomerate for a very long time. In terms of actual revenue, the theme parks make up a very small percentage of their overall business. But to that, they compete directly with Universal and bought Marvel and SW (and 21st Century Fox) in part as ways of bolstering their theme park offerings. 

2. Commercials: Do you realize how long it takes to shoot a TV commercial, esp of Disney's standards? Let alone the media buying schedule. They just dropped the mask mandate. Its not like they can just reshoot, edit and replace ads in inventory overnight. I'm sure those mask ads will run their course and be replaced with non masked ads soon enough. As for "what they are doing to the kid" stuff....I hate to say it but kids adopted the masks as norm a lot easier than their parents. Just look at the elementary schools. I need to tell my son to take the damn thing off or else he'd wear it all day. But also, that kid is a model, paid to do whatever the director tells them to do. There is no more long term damage over this than dressing the kid up in a funny outfit and having them bark for some other shoot. 

3. Disney is not "Catering to the Rich" They have always been expensive, but every year the can and will rise prices. Why? Just look, the parks are packed. No one, at least not enough, people are choosing not to go. So do you expect them to lower the price? Esp after they were closed outright and lost millions > billions in revenue? Yes, are they nickle and dimming people and experiences now, yes, but a lot of it is to try and recoup some lost money. You mention ticket costs...people have complained that the parks are just too crowded. So one way to thin them out (and still make the money they need) is to raise the ticket prices. This will naturally exclude some people, or make some go less often. Therefore dispersing the crowds a bit...but even thats not working. 

4. Awesome job berating the desk jockey who had nothing to do with scheduling or stopping the construction. I get it you were pissed, but go to the source where you can get satisfaction, the manager and not some young kid. 

5. Why support Disney? Because you want to. No one is holding a gun to your head and saying book this ####### trip!!!  Why would I want to support a cartel controlled place like Cancun, or a city like LA that riddled with homelessness? Because you want to.....and thats enough justification. Does it have something to do with TV? Maybe? When my kids were young they enjoyed seeing the characters from the shows they watched. But they got older and their priories and enjoyment shifted to other areas of the resort. I travel plenty with my kids for sports and such, we play ball all the time and I have a little resort in my backyard. But its still nice to detach and go somewhere familiar away from home. And pro tip, you dont need to slog through a theme park every day all day. We spend just as much time at the resort as we do in the parks. 

6. There are no mosquitos in the parks...they cant afford the ticket prices. 
I'll go item by item quickly and they are weak.

1-You seem to brush off the Mouse House as if the theme parks are the main focus, most people know when I keep saying ABC and ESPN all owned by Disney, and then the name of the Park is Disney World is it not? C'mon man

2-"Do you realize how long it takes to shoot a TV commercial, esp of Disney's standards?" No and neither do you, another red herring but I did shoot a commercial with Tug McGraw and Carl Yastremski when I was a kid, it was filmed in Miami Marine Stadium and it doesn't take as long to shoot a commercial as you think it does. 

3-"Disney is not catering to the rich"...actually they are and don't miss $800 rooms and $100 sandwiches

4-Never take a no from someone who isn't given the authorization to give you a yes in the 1st place, that is MoP 101 and you know it my friend.  

5-Courtesy auto walk so i don't pitch a complete shutout here. 

6-😄

https://youtu.be/DTc--4jz0GQ

I live near Disneyland and have pretty much all my life.  My grandfather, a railroad foreman, was on the crew that built the monorail.  Disney has been a part of my life my whole life.  The park, while expensive no doubt and always has been, is a lot of fun and now that I have a young daughter it’s a blast taking her, she absolutely loves it.  Your experience with it being “very ghetto” and “pretty dirty” are fascinating to me as it’s something I’ve never felt or experienced.  In fact I’ve often been extremely impressed with how they’ve managed the park considering the number of people a day through the turnstiles.   But I guess this whole thing is what’s great about opinions, we all get to have them.  

I honestly don't get the outrage aside from being pissed that construction was waking people up at a time it shouldn't.

Not sure the age of the average poster in here but based on a music draft about a year ago I would say most are 40+. How many of us can't recite jingles of stuff marketed to us as kids?  Toys R Us? Chuck E Cheese? Showbiz Pizza? McDonald's Happy meals? Can you name the mascots of 10+ breakfast cereals? If anything, there is way less in terms of pushing consumerism on kids now then when we were kids. Hell, last Christmas my 7 (now 8 ) year old asked for almost nothing. He didn't want the latest GI Joe, Star Wars, He Men, Transformers, etc. etc.

I do agree kids spend too much time indoors...but that isn't on them. That is on us. FFS, the phrase "play date" triggers me. And, even if I tell my kid to go outside and do something - it is often difficult to find another kid to do something with.

Also, how can you be mad at Disney? ESPN died a long time ago. Lucas killed Star Wars when Han shot first which was what - 1997? And, have you seen Bluey? 100+ episodes of awesomeness. If you haven't binged Bluey you need to.

I live near Disneyland and have pretty much all my life.  My grandfather, a railroad foreman, was on the crew that built the monorail.  Disney has been a part of my life my whole life.  The park, while expensive no doubt and always has been, is a lot of fun and now that I have a young daughter it’s a blast taking her, she absolutely loves it.  Your experience with it being “very ghetto” and “pretty dirty” are fascinating to me as it’s something I’ve never felt or experienced.  In fact I’ve often been extremely impressed with how they’ve managed the park considering the number of people a day through the turnstiles.   But I guess this whole thing is what’s great about opinions, we all get to have them.  
My family drove up from Miami in 1972 and went to the Magic Kingdom. We could not afford a hotel and eventually camped out at Juniper Springs in a tent.

My wife and I recently went to Animal Kingdom Lodge as one of our first post covid trips. It was the most expensive hotel we've ever had. And guess what? I'll do it again. It was amazing and we will rebook when the private safari experience's start back up. I don't even want to go back to any of the parks, just give me the balcony on the Savannah. Can't beat it without traveling to Africa!

I grew up in north central Florida so my childhood experience at Disney was similar to MoP's.  Topping off with a trip to the ER for a buddy who got alcohol poisoning after smuggling two bottles of vodka into Disney for grad night (grad night in Florida was where the school took graduating high school seniors in the area to Disney on the night of graduation so they wouldn't go out and get into trouble with booze/drugs).

Now I live in Utah with a family of four and we are an outdoorsy crew.  Heading to Tahoe next month which for us is practically a "big city" vacation because we're usually much more remote.  We own a couple of cabins in Kanab, UT that we use as a base a lot but often are away from them camping in the desert far down some 4x4 "road" or long hike into the middle of nowhere.

But that's where my similarities to MoP end.  Because even as someone that was beaten over the head with Disney as a kid and now hates crowds and prefers to be out under the stars with a fire (not this year) and silence I FREAKING LOVE DISNEY.

We have a 4 and a 6 year old and have done 3 Disney trips with them.  And they were all every bit the magical experience the stupid ads promise.  Now granted I got my #### together like most FBGs and had these trips optimized to a T, but our kids had a ball and we were non-stop smiles watching their non-stop smiles in spite of all the little annoying things all over the place.

The last trip in particular was mega magic.  Our eldest (who was 5 at the time) had gotten super into Star Wars so we did Hollywood Studios and the whole Star Wars thing.  Woke our asses up at 5am so we could get to the park at rope drop and I could hustle over to the Jedi Training academy sign-up and sign him up as a padawan.  He goes up on stage for the training session with a giant smile on his face the whole time.  Then the Imperial March plays and out comes Darth Vader and the Jedi Master says we're gonna have to fight this dude, and asks "who is brave enough to face Darth Vader first?".  Then my shy little cautious kid who is afraid of everything steps in front of everyone and throws his hand up into the air and says "I WILL".  Like a freaking movie.

We have a vacation rental in remote Kanab, but we just bought another one in Orlando.  We're heading there this weekend to meet with some contractors because we are tricking the thing out with several Disney rooms.  A Star Wars room where the beds are x-wings and tie fighters and the wings are slides.  A princess room where the girls can sleep in a carriage bed.  Granted this is mostly as an investment property, but you can bet your ### we are going to enjoy it too.

We're going to take a day off from working on the place while we're there and hit up Animal Kingdom, which we've never been too.  My wife, who climbs mountains in her free time on the weekends, has been dying to go there for years.

As to the rest of it all, whatever, Marvel movies are a ton of fun to watch.  I'm not sure what the complaint is there.  The other stuff seems so minor you'd have to be really looking to get pissed off over something political to care about it.  Oh my goodness a child is wearing a mask at a baseball game that is being aired on ESPN which is owned by Disney, why is Mickey trying to oppress me?!?

The title is going to enrage a few of you so let me share as a Native Floridian who used to drive the I-4 corridor back in 1995 when we closed up the clubs in Tampa at 9am and then take off for Disney and yes we would drop acid when we got there and tour EPCOT the far superior park to Disney although I will say the Pirates of the Caribbean is a whole adventure by itself, I remember the walls breathing as you were entering and exiting that ride.
Every once in a while, the very first sentence tells you in no uncertain terms "Buckle up, buddy, because we're going for a little ride."  I give you Exhibit A.  

I do agree kids spend too much time indoors...but that isn't on them. That is on us. FFS, the phrase "play date" triggers me. And, even if I tell my kid to go outside and do something - it is often difficult to find another kid to do something with.
Exactly.

I don't have kids. And it really amuses me to see people I grew up with lamenting about the good old days, posting stuff like "when we were kids, we went outside to play / could ride in the back of a pickup / stay out until the street lights came on / went to the mall alone / only the winner got a trophy / etc", and I'm thinking "yea, but it was YOU who put a stop to all that when you had kids 25 years ago. YOU invented the play date and participation trophies and "use your words". 

Side note: my wife just booked a Disney trip for us next May. Haven't been there in 40 years. Excited!

For whatever reason this made me think of Real Genius.

"I'm only saying this because I care - there are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing."

I like Disney movies, parks, etc. and do not care about their politics.  I like Chik-fil-a and don't care about their politics either.

I'll spend my money where and how I want to.

I like Disney movies, parks, etc. and do not care about their politics.  I like Chik-fil-a and don't care about their politics either.

I'll spend my money where and how I want to.
GB, I always can count on you to snap me back to attention and tuck my uniform back in 😆

You got me on Chik-Fil-A however I have not eaten it in quite some time, other than pizzas I haven't had fast food at any of them in well over a year. 

What Disney Movie in the last decade have you really liked? Pixar doesn't count.  Hot summer day mega humidity and fully loaded with people, I give you a choice the beach or a Disney theme park, which do you pick? That's part of the core of this, I bet the majority pick Disney, almost no doubt in my mind.

Here's another place you don't catch me hardly ever, Malls! "I'll take places filled with people MoP hates for $800, Aaron" the answer is "You used to find me in these places on Sunday" (buzzer immediately) MoP? "What are stadiums? Aaron"

I'll be at the Trop, Sat Night behind home plate so i don't hate them that much. I am bummed they took out all draft beer it seems in the stadium, they used to have a nice little craft beer area and that's gone or closed right now. 

I'll be at the Trop, Sat Night behind home plate so i don't hate them that much. I am bummed they took out all draft beer it seems in the stadium, they used to have a nice little craft beer area and that's gone or closed right now. 
Yep. I've been to two games this year and will be buying more tickets tomorrow when they go on sale. No draft beer. However, there was a guy sitting next to a reach in cooler with some good local cans of craft beer.

Me, "I'll have a Reef Monkey."

Him, "Then reach in there and get it."

Me, "Ok." I reach in and grab it.

Him, "Open it."

Me, I open it. "How much?"

Him, "$13."

Me, "JFC!"

Him, "Sorry."

The stingray tank is gone too...

I understand Tim, what i'm saying is now that we have gone thru the pandemic and had a chance to re-evaluate things and maybe live a more commercial free life without being constantly pushed to buy and to partake in something that really isn't that much fun.

In this example I have presented up top in the OP Tim, I am trying to put a spotlight on something people should stop participating in as often and freely as they do. I thought the pandemic allowed for all of us to reflect on what is truly important in life and to be thankful for some of the things we do have, not trying to run with the Masked Up Joneses to Disney World because the TV tells people its suddenly OK to come out again. 

I heard there were going to be permanent changes at Disney, things that were happening prior won't be happening going forward so I also think some folks are going to try and reignite something that really isn't there anymore the way they remember it as children. 

I find your opinion enraging.   But at the same time ive come down with a case of of apathy.

Yep. I've been to two games this year and will be buying more tickets tomorrow when they go on sale. No draft beer. However, there was a guy sitting next to a reach in cooler with some good local cans of craft beer.

Me, "I'll have a Reef Monkey."

Him, "Then reach in there and get it."

Me, "Ok." I reach in and grab it.

Him, "Open it."

Me, I open it. "How much?"

Him, "$13."

Me, "JFC!"

Him, "Sorry."

The stingray tank is gone too...
I have some updates...the Tank is now OPEN, like when Wander Franco got called up they opened the tank. 

-I'll be happy to get my Donkey by hand and pay their extortion prices or better yet I'll just load up at Fergs and mellow/sober up over a few hours watching the game, I don't need a bottle of Miller lite that badly. 

Another update my friend and you know I wouldn't steer you wrong, download the MLB App and you can pick out tickets to almost all of the Rays games from here on out...get those aisle seats on the first row of the price drop from $95 to $55, use the seat map on the App and you can just pick the exact seats you want. 

Cheers!

Could you elaborate on this for me?

Another update my friend and you know I wouldn't steer you wrong, download the MLB App and you can pick out tickets to almost all of the Rays games from here on out...get those aisle seats on the first row of the price drop from $95 to $55, use the seat map on the App and you can just pick the exact seats you want. 
Unless you are a Rays insider the only tix you could get before tomorrow were for June at the Trop and road games. I like to go to day games as I don't have to spend the night. Where do you park? I used to park in the lot next to Ferg's but there is now like a brand new restaurant or something there. I've been lucky to grab like the last spot in Ferg's actual lot. Our pregame routine is Green Bench, Bodega for a Cuban, then Ferg's and the 100 meter mosey through the tunnel to the park. We used to take Mazzaros subs in but they won't let you bring food in anymore.

I also saw a new restaurant next door to Bodega called Bacon ##### and was intrigued but I saw a call on Reddit for boycott there because the owner shot an alley cat with an arrow. Just a little St. Pete trivia.

You know what I don't need?  People telling me how to raise my kids.

I like going to Disney.  Service, food, etc is always top-notch.  I know what I'm going to get.  Yes, it's overpriced but I'm always amazed at the consistent level of service.   And, if my kids act out, it's NBD because everyone else has kids.  If you want to go somewhere nice and have a hastle free vacation, Disney is hard to beat.

I have no kids, live in Vegas and love Disneyland.  I actually had annual passes until 2 years ago.

I grew up about 20 minutes from the park.  They are constantly innovating new rides and experiences.  The park is consistently clean, the engineering and artistry of their attractions are incredible, they are well organized and it is one of the safest places you can go.  

If you don’t like Disneyland, you are just a grumpy mean old man.

IvanKaramazov said:
Every once in a while, the very first sentence tells you in no uncertain terms "Buckle up, buddy, because we're going for a little ride."  I give you Exhibit A.  
LOL. You put it way more eloquently than I did, but I had a similar feeling that this was going to be a bit unhinged and discursive. Sure enough...

I'll go item by item quickly and they are weak.

1-You seem to brush off the Mouse House as if the theme parks are the main focus, most people know when I keep saying ABC and ESPN all owned by Disney, and then the name of the Park is Disney World is it not? C'mon man

2-"Do you realize how long it takes to shoot a TV commercial, esp of Disney's standards?" No and neither do you, another red herring but I did shoot a commercial with Tug McGraw and Carl Yastremski when I was a kid, it was filmed in Miami Marine Stadium and it doesn't take as long to shoot a commercial as you think it does. 

3-"Disney is not catering to the rich"...actually they are and don't miss $800 rooms and $100 sandwiches

4-Never take a no from someone who isn't given the authorization to give you a yes in the 1st place, that is MoP 101 and you know it my friend.  

5-Courtesy auto walk so i don't pitch a complete shutout here. 

6-😄
lol, to all of this. 

1. I'm not brushing off anything. But I have no idea what you are even saying here. Yes ESPN, ABC and many other media outlets, publishing and digital streaming services that all make up the largest part of their annual revenue. I'm not discounting the theme parks at all, but people tend to think that Disney is just parks and resorts b/c thats what they see in front of them. But actually no, the name of the Orlando resort property as a whole is Disney World (actually Walt Disney World if we are being specific). The theme individual parks all have their own names. But that is only 1 of many resorts across the world, but c'mon man, you knew that. 

2. I dont? OK, I know you dont know me personally but I've been in advertising for over 25 years and currently own my own design studio. You may have been "in a commercial" but that is a small fraction of the overall planning, editing and media buying process...national media buys, not just the ones you are seeing locally.. So yea, I do know. And as I said, I would believe those ads with the kids being abused wearing masks will soon be retired, but there was media time purchased and filled before the mandates were changed. 

Also if you need anything else off my resume, I was the art director for their official theme park travel guides and Disney's publishing division in NYC for many years ago. 

3. If thats how you want to view it, so be it. But dont believe the sensationalism. Are there $800 rooms, sure. But I just checked and for mid august I can book a value resort (pop century) for $148/night and a moderate (Coronato springs) for $205/night. So dont believe that every room is wildly out of reach. As for the $100 sandwich, if you read beyond your headline, you'll see that it only 1 sandwich and it is so big that it actually feeds between six and eight guests....so if six guests are chowing on it, its really only costs about $16.50/per person which is ironically lower then the average cost of a single quick service meal there. 

And this is nothing new either. Back in 2017 WDW had a secret $90 Nachos Grande at Pecos Bills (where I worked on my college program) that also fed 6-8 guests.

Now do I agree with every financial decision the company makes...hell no. We could spend hours detailing every expense and fee they have. But I also look at them as a company that has been closed for close to a year and need to recoup money where they can. 

But Disney has always had some form of an exclusiveness to it for wealthier guests. Club 33 is an exclusive dining location in DL (and now with locations in each WDW park) that costs over $30k to join and then $15K/year to maintain. You could hire a private guide for $1200+ a day to get you backstage access to any attraction and drive you in a private vehicle between parks. There is even a tour where you can visit the famed suite inside Cinderella's Castle for over $12,000. And lets not overlook Golden Oaks which is an exclusive neighborhood on WDW property where the homes start at $2Million. So this is nothing new.

What i'm getting at is that you don't need to pay for any of this and you can still have a perfectly fine family vacation. 

I have no kids, live in Vegas and love Disneyland.  I actually had annual passes until 2 years ago.

I grew up about 20 minutes from the park.  They are constantly innovating new rides and experiences.  The park is consistently clean, the engineering and artistry of their attractions are incredible, they are well organized and it is one of the safest places you can go.  

While there are plenty of curmudgeons who dislike Disney, I don’t think you have to be a bad person to cringe a little at the experience - commercialized, crowded and artificial. Then again, the same can be said about Vegas...

Still, no reason to dis people who like it.

While there are plenty of curmudgeons who dislike Disney, I don’t think you have to be a bad person to cringe a little at the experience - commercialized, crowded and artificial. Then again, the same can be said about Vegas...

Still, no reason to dis people who like it.
I think the problem here is MoP saying he’s disappointed in people taking a vacation to Disney World when it’s basically the same as Day 1.  It’s not like people are going to a Taliban Amusement park.

What's Disneyland offer that Six Flags or Cedar Point does not?  And what's the cost differential?  

What's Disneyland offer that Six Flags or Cedar Point does not?  And what's the cost differential?  
One’s a rollarcoaster park aimed at people who like big rollarcoasters, the other is aimed at a more family experience that doesn’t revolve around huge rides meant to scare the #### out of you.  

As an individual 6 flags is my jam, as a family man and father of a 6 yr old girl Disney is where we go.  

Users who are viewing this thread