What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hip replacement (1 Viewer)

Standing Hampton

Footballguy
Well, after a couple of years of hip pain, not debilitating just inconvenient, I went to an Orthopedic doctor.  Found out I have arthritis in my left hip and will eventually need it replaced.  I'm 56 and since 2019 I've lost 45ish pounds, so I don't need to lose weight.  I go to the gym everyday and I eat healthy so I've been taking the steps needed to avoid surgery.  It's not to the point of needing replaced, but I am just being proactive on what to expect.  If you, or anyone you know, has had a hip replacement please share the experience.

Thank you

My mom's best friend, who is probably 70 something, has had both hips replaced. She's not running marathons or anything but she seems to get around well enough. 

If your doctor doesn't hit you with a Shakira hips don't lie joke, he's a horrible doctor. Find a new one.

A guy in my basketball league had one back in the fall. He's in his early 40's and in pretty good shape. He came back to play this spring when state covid restrictions loosened and has been better than ever (he's the leading scorer in the league by a wide margin, despite being the 2nd or 3rd oldest guy). No real pain as far as I know.

Obviously everyone is different. Good luck.  

Well, after a couple of years of hip pain, not debilitating just inconvenient, I went to an Orthopedic doctor.  Found out I have arthritis in my left hip and will eventually need it replaced.  I'm 56 and since 2019 I've lost 45ish pounds, so I don't need to lose weight.  I go to the gym everyday and I eat healthy so I've been taking the steps needed to avoid surgery.  It's not to the point of needing replaced, but I am just being proactive on what to expect.  If you, or anyone you know, has had a hip replacement please share the experience.

Thank you
Username checks out.  (too soon?)

My admin at work had this done two years ago.  She went from having daily pain and discomfort to being pain free soon after the surgery.   My SIL's father (FIL of my wife's brother) had the surgery, but I try not to talk to him.  Still, seems from a distance like he is pain free and happy with the result too.

Biggest thing everyone I talk with strongly recommends:  follow the recovery/rehab protocol.  Do the work.  Don't take any shortcuts.

:blackdot:

I've been wondering about pain I've had that seems like what you describe (not excruciating, just nagging). I'm not sure if it is coming from lumbar or hip. 

I'll follow along too.  I have arthritis in my left hip and both knees and I'm told I'll eventually need all of them replaced (I go through joints like Snoop Dog visiting Willie Nelson's tour bus).

I have occasional pain and inflammation but I still run a little and lift weights. I've given up on a lot of the lower body work due to all the issues.

Who knew I needed cartilage?

My brother in law who just turned 60 was hobbling around for over a year and in constant pain. He just got his done and they had him on his feet within 24 hours. He is feeling great today, but I know it cost them a bit of money because they do not have good insurance.

Good God. Look at us,   Remember the days of hooters, and stalking NC State Girl, 

We have become shells of our our former selves 
This was my immediate reaction upon reading the thread title. “Dayum, this is where we are, huh?”I mean I knew it already but this one hit me a little harder. 

Hips are fine but I’m getting foot surgery on both feet, one after the other the week before thanksgiving. Loooong overdue and I’m looking forward to it. 

MIL had both done at different times. First one went great, second one (with different surgeon) had problems ongoing pain.

my aunt had both hips and both knees replaced. (Not all at once). No problems.

I have had one knee done with excellent results.

sounds like "less invasive" procedure can be quicker recovery? But not all surgeons do it.

Thank you
I was told the same about a two years ago.  Got an x-ray targetted cortisone shot about that time. They said it would probably only help for about 6 months, but it's been much better ever since.  Hardly notice it these days. 

You're always going to hear lots of great success stories with hip replacements, but I think the unspoken general rule is still to avoid at all costs if possible - or at least push it out.  There are plenty of horror stories out there as well.  I do think the tech is much better than it used to be, but probably the single most important development over the past 15 years is that insurance companies will now routinely pay for hip replacements, which obviously created a massive market of orthopedic surgeons and surgery centers that do almost nothing but hips, knees and shoulders 24/7/365.  Not a doctor, but my recommendation is to get a good PT regimen and stick with it, and try yoga to see if it works for you.

Most people do great following hip surgery, but it's good to try and delay it as long as possible - this doesn't mean enduring excessive pain or functional limitations.

Things you can do to delay surgery:

1. Weight loss/dietary modification - important for overall health, and will make post-op rehabilitation easier too.

2. Exercise - low impact stuff like swimming and cycling are preferred. 

3. PT. Can give more targeted exercises and help with stretches, myofascial release + other local therapies to improve strength and mobility.

4. Yoga. Hard to go wrong with improved flexibility. Just make sure you choose a well-outfitted yogini.

5. Steroid injection. Usually only short-term, but can really kick start pain control to increase activity levels.

6. Pain meds. First line is Voltaren gel, as it has less systemic toxicity than Tylenol and NSAIDS like ibuprofen, naproxen, etc. Avoid opioids, if possible.

That's it. Unproven stuff includes acupuncture, chiropractic methods, glucosamine/chondroitin and stem cells/hyaluronic acid/protein rich plasma injections.

ETA Also unproven: CBD/medical marijuana

Last edited by a moderator:
My aunt had one done. She didn't want to do inpatient PT, so decided to go home.
Didn't follow up with scheduling PT visits. Never got off her walker. Had one too many glasses of wine.
Fell and messed up the first replacement. Caught an infection in the hospital. Went to her spine.
Was paralyzed from the waist down. Never left the hospital before dying 14 months later.

Do your PT and get your mobility back.

I worked with a surgeon for several years that averaged doing 6 total hips a day.   He would throw in total knees as well between surgery set up times.

Skin to skin under an hour for the entire procedure.  I have had a lot of patients say, "If I knew it would feel this good after surgery I would have done it years ago!"    Do the rehab, listen to the surgeon.  Take your medication (you will not slow down your healing by taking your pain medication) stay on top of the pain.  Easier to stay on top of the pain with medication. Don't try to play catch up with the pain.     GL

Users who are viewing this thread