What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can We Civilly Discuss Thoughts On Vaccination? A Poll. (1 Viewer)

Where would you land among these descriptions?

• Vaccinated and no regret

Votes: 292 82.5%
  • Vaccinated but some regret

Votes: 18 5.1%
  • Not Vaccinated and don't plan to

Votes: 32 9.0%
  • Not Vaccinated but considering it

Votes: 12 3.4%

• Total voters
Until they are proven safe in the long-term, I think it's a highly debatable concept.
Can you define what long term is? From what I’ve read, it is extremely extremely rare for serious side effect from a vaccine to show up more than 2 months after administration. Since we are now well beyond 2 months for a majority of folks vaccinated in the US, it seems that we pretty well already know if there are long term serious side effects.

Fantastic. By all means, get the vax then. I have no issues with you doing that whatsoever, and truly wish you and everyone else the best of luck.

Where I take issue is when someone with your stance demands/commands that I take the vax for the same rationale. And advocates me losing my ability to drive, work or send my kids to school if I don't (yet) feel comfortable enough with the available data to comply.
I respect your decision & your freedom to make the same.

The CDC has already announced that no further clinical trials will be required for this new booster, since it will be similar enough in technology to the existing vaccines. Yikes!
This is good news though.  If we let the FDA have its way, we'd all be dead of old age before they got around to approving booster shots.

Disappointing that you would encourage/validate his characterization of Ivermectin with this response. See my response above. Maybe IVM doesn't work for Covid, despite hundreds, perhaps thousands of real-world doctors claiming it does. Regardless, that post revealed tremendous bias and served zero useful purpose.

You should consider hearing out your compatriot's opinions, rather than stonewalling your judgment of him. If intelligent people in your own field are taking the opposite position, perhaps it's worthy of your further exploration of those viewpoints.

Whatever you choose to do, please don't rat him out. Not sure if that has crossed your mind, but I sincerely hope this discussion doesn't latently fuel that fire. Right or wrong, I can assure you we are all operating with what we perceive to be good intention. We just see a lot more grey here than you do.
You continually defend the use of these drugs simply because they’ve been around for awhile. You ignore that these drugs have never been used for any similar treatments. In the case of ivermectin, the dosing schedule has never been tested and I’ve seen several different ones used. There’s no standard for what they’re doing.

You also ignore that the doctors prescribing these cocktails often have no history treating the patient and sometimes prescribing the drugs without ever seeing the patient or examining their medical history. One recent person commented that it was so easy, all he has to do is make one phone call.

We are not supposed to refer people to specific prescribers especially to get a particular treatment. This being his personal doctor, there’s also question of him receiving referral benefits. Change the scenario slightly…guy walks up to the pharmacy and says he’s been trying to get some oxycodone prescribed but all the doctors he sees refuse to prescribe it. The pharmacist tells him to call his ‘oxy guy’ and he’ll prescribe it, no problem. Are you starting to see the issue with this process?

Can you define what long term is? From what I’ve read, it is extremely extremely rare for serious side effect from a vaccine to show up more than 2 months after administration. Since we are now well beyond 2 months for a majority of folks vaccinated in the US, it seems that we pretty well already know if there are long term serious side effects.
Not nit picking..but isn't this vaccination a new method and not like the others?  If that's the case, we can't go by what other vaccines showed.  

Are you ok with the requested expansion on trials?  If not, why not?
Hell yeah I am.  I want as much data as possible if it can be done safely. I want there to be as much proof as possible that this vaccine is safe and effective.  It's important.    We can make much more informed decisions if we get more data.

Interwebs are full of anecdotal reporting of widespread use of HCQ, ivermectin and other cheaply available treatments in many countries across the globe, particularly highly-populated India and Brazil, to great effect according to the administering doctors. 
You mean the countries that are currently Nos. 2 and 3 (behind the US) in total Covid deaths? If those treatments are so widespread in those countries, why haven't they seen better outcomes?

Why isn't this common knowledge by now ???
I wondered the same thing, but I suspect the two of us have very different answers to that question.

So is the one factor stopping you from getting the vaccine is the short time it took to get to the market?  Basically, under 8 months of trials.
You should pay better attention and not be so judg-y.

I'll continue to engage with you when that happens.  Until then, ta ta

Last edited by a moderator:

Huh.  I was just asking you if that was your biggest concern about the vaccine.  Not trying to be judgy.

I came in late, so I apologize if you already stated what your concern are.  This isn't a gotcha.

Completely shuked on the purpose of this post. Do you think being asked for an expanded study is a black mark?

For one: The adult phase III trials came in two differently sized portions as well -- a sizeable initial trial, and then a larger one to cast a wider net.

For two: At the time of the adult phase III trials (the back half of 2020), the rarer side effects were not yet detected and reliably traced to the vaccine (e.g. 1/large-number cases of myocarditis in young adults). With the knowledge of rarer side effects now in hand, the FDA is asking for a wider net to collect better data.

One thing that may be counterintuitive to you: Finding out that a given side effect appears in one in every several hundred thousand juvenile vaccinations ... that wouldn't be enough to flunk the vaccine's approval for children. These vaccines are still a hammerlock to pass juvenile trials. The FDA's wider-net request does not change that at all.

Hell yeah I am.  I want as much data as possible if it can be done safely. I want there to be as much proof as possible that this vaccine is safe and effective.  It's important.    We can make much more informed decisions if we get more data.
Ok...thanks.  I misunderstood this comment:

Keep pushing this stuff with no data...keep it up.  
That came across as sarcasm and that it wasn't a good idea.  Apologies.

Ok...thanks.  I misunderstood this comment:

That came across as sarcasm and that it wasn't a good idea.  Apologies.
No...Im saying there could be some side effects...and it seems to be enough to need to be studied.  But people here, many many people here, think everyone should be stabbed, and keep saying how they KNOW these things are safe.  And ignore studies like this.  

No...Im saying there could be some side effects...and it seems to be enough to need to be studied.  But people here, many many people here, think everyone should be stabbed, and keep saying how they KNOW these things are safe.  And ignore studies like this.  
What study?

I haven't read a single person here saying that kids have nothing to worry about.  They're still in the study phase.  That's the link you posted.  I've read a TON of people say, given the info we have they are ok with moving forward with vaccines in those 12+.  That's not the same thing as "knowing" it's safe.  What we actually KNOW is outcomes for people who've gotten the vaccine and the outcomes of people who have chanced it without.  So far, if we attribute every single death reported of a person who got the vaccine directly to the vaccine as cause of death, it's around the 6K number and there's not a chance that the vaccine is THE cause of death in most of those, but for argument sake we'll stipulate.  Compare that to the over 600K who have died to COVID itself.  We KNOW as much about the long term affects of the vaccine as we do the long term affects of the virus (probably more about the vaccines actually) and people STILL choose to go with the virus given it's success rate instead of the vaccine given it's failure rate (which is 100 times less).

So then what did "ignore studies like this" mean?
It meant there seems to be a reason for it.   Which means there might be adverse side effects.  Which is why a study is being conducted.  If this was 100% totally safe these studies wouldn't be needed.

I haven't read a single person here saying that kids have nothing to worry about.  They're still in the study phase.  That's the link you posted.  I've read a TON of people say, given the info we have they are ok with moving forward with vaccines in those 12+.  That's not the same thing as "knowing" it's safe.  What we actually KNOW is outcomes for people who've gotten the vaccine and the outcomes of people who have chanced it without.  So far, if we attribute every single death reported of a person who got the vaccine directly to the vaccine as cause of death, it's around the 6K number and there's not a chance that the vaccine is THE cause of death in most of those, but for argument sake we'll stipulate.  Compare that to the over 600K who have died to COVID itself.  We KNOW as much about the long term affects of the vaccine as we do the long term affects of the virus (probably more about the vaccines actually) and people STILL choose to go with the virus given it's success rate instead of the vaccine given it's failure rate (which is 100 times less).
I stopped reading your post after the first sentence as just around this post was a poster with a four letter first name who has said the vax is 100% safe.   I was assuming he was including kids in that 100% 

Another ad hominem. This thread is supposed to be civil.

And BTW, I'm not trying to convince you to do anything other than to stop trying to infringe upon my right to choose what I do with my body. And yes, I am Pro-Choice on the other matter too.
No government is mandating that you take the vaccine. But your reasoning continues to gloss over the part where by being unvaccinated you can be an easier vector for transmission to someone who is unable to be vaccinated and then has a bad outcome. The other people part. And, expecting that decision to come consequence free is unrealistic. Maybe not forced by the government, but what's about when it's the sports league that tells you no? Or the restaurant? You don't want to get the vaccine in the face of overwhelming safety and efficacy data, fine. But you're failing to understand that it impacts other people, and that the decision won't come consequence free as you demand.

Did you/do you wear masks when in public indoor spaces?

I suggest you review the FFA Covid-19 thread. People on this site were on top of things from the beginning. Many of the talking points you bring up were discussed in there in real time. Zinc, HCQ, mask efficacy, etc.

Will leave it at this from Texas, source is data from the Texas Department of State Health Services. Not some anti-Trump hotbed by any means:

Texas has seen nearly 9,000 COVID-19 deaths since February. All but 43 were unvaccinated people.

My immediate neighborhood (30-40 families) has become a microcosm of the area (NC) to us.  There used to be neighborhood get togethers monthly pre-pandemic.  Now functions for us to join are determined by the vaccination criteria.  One family had a house concert a few weeks ago but only vaccinated were invited,  causing rifts between neighbors who are and aren't (we all know who is or isn't).  The July 4th barbecue was only attended by half our neighbors who weren't vaccinated because of the risks involved.  We're not joining any group or function which has unvaccinated attending.  Unfortunately it appears that this way of a divided life will be the norm going forward.  

Fantastic. By all means, get the vax then. I have no issues with you doing that whatsoever, and truly wish you and everyone else the best of luck.

Where I take issue is when someone with your stance demands/commands that I take the vax for the same rationale. And advocates me losing my ability to drive, work or send my kids to school if I don't (yet) feel comfortable enough with the available data to comply.
Honestly, if you don't want to get the vax that is on you.  However, don't rely on a bunch of conspiracy theories and things proven not to successfully treat the virus.  Spreading these conspiracy theories are a huge problem and the fact you think a worm medicine is going to protect you is a complete joke.

I already posted links showing hydroxychloroquine is a detreminatal but here is one for your new fav - https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/why-you-should-not-use-ivermectin-treat-or-prevent-covid-19

Your numbers and methodology of comparison are very flawed.

600k out of how many total infected? No way to know the latter figure as many (most?) people are naturally immune. Without the latter figure, you can't get to a percentage, which would be a MUCH more appropriate comparison metric. Also, how many of these 600k were deaths *with* Covid, rather than *by* Covid? 

As for the VAERS data, it's now ~11k deaths, ~50k serious cases, and ~500k adverse events. And this is from a self-reporting platform most people have never heard of or thought to report to, so what are the actual figures?... 2x, 5x, 10x ?? We can only speculate, but very likely it's some meaningful factor significantly > 1.

Either way, for you to take a dated/dubious 6k deaths figure and comp to a dubious 600k figure, and then claim - Ahah, Covid is 100 times more deadly! - is simply nonsensical at best and deliberately misleading at worst.

... just around this post was a poster with a four letter first name who has said the vax is 100% safe.   I was assuming he was including kids in that 100% 
Be direct. If you take issue, call me out.

Here's my exact quote:

Fortunately, the "long-term" safety of these vaccines is a certainty.
This doesn't mean:

- Doesn't need to be tested
- OK to give small kids adult dosages
- Study to determine proper juvenile doses per age/weight is not required.

If it's necessary to make clear what I meant: I think the "long term safety" concerns are red herrings. For those approved to take the vaccines (currently, 12 and up), if no clinical side effects show up in the first several weeks, you're home free. There will be nothing in six months, a year, five years, ten years, etc. And this is currently known conclusively because the materials used in the vaccines are well-understood and have no unaccounted-for biological effects.

BTW, stuff like myocarditis? That's not the ingredients in the mRNA vaccines causing that, like an allergy. The myocarditis comes from the body's immune reaction -- just like the cases of myocarditis stemming from COVID and other viral infections. It's the same type of muscle soreness many vaccinated people experience in their shoulder, thighs, or back -- just settling into the heart muscle instead. And myocarditis typically clears up pretty much the same way it does in the other muscle.

If a patient is to the point of noticing the effects of myocarditis (which is uncommon -- it's usually subclinical), it does have to be monitored in the way a sore shoulder does not, because of the importance of the heart to the body's systems (needless to say). Even hospitalized myocarditis cases tend to clear up as normal.

Be direct. If you take issue, call me out.

Here's my exact quote:

This doesn't mean:

- Doesn't need to be tested
- OK to give small kids adult dosages
- Study to determine proper juvenile doses per age/weight is not required.

If it's necessary to make clear what I meant: I think the "long term safety" concerns are red herrings. For those approved to take the vaccines (currently, 12 and up), if no clinical side effects show up in the first several weeks, you're home free. There will be nothing in six months, a year, five years, ten years, etc. And this is currently known conclusively because the materials used in the vaccines are well-understood and have no unaccounted-for biological effects.

BTW, stuff like myocarditis? That's not the ingredients in the mRNA vaccines causing that, like an allergy. The myocarditis comes from the body's immune reaction -- just like the cases of myocarditis stemming from COVID and other viral infections. It's the same type of muscle soreness many vaccinated people experience in their shoulder, thighs, or back -- just settling into the heart muscle instead. And myocarditis typically clears up pretty much the same way it does in the other muscle.

If a patient is to the point of noticing the effects of myocarditis (which is uncommon -- it's usually subclinical), it does have to be monitored in the way a sore shoulder does not, because of the importance of the heart to the body's systems (needless to say). Even hospitalized myocarditis cases tend to clear up as normal.
Why on earth would we need to test a certainty?  That makes no sense whatsoever.   I'm moving on from you now.  Sorry 

600k out of how many total infected? No way to know the latter figure as many (most?) people are naturally immune. Without the latter figure, you can't get to a percentage, which would be a MUCH more appropriate comparison metric. Also, how many of these 600k were deaths *with* Covid, rather than *by* Covid? 

As for the VAERS data, it's now ~11k deaths, ~50k serious cases, and ~500k adverse events. And this is from a self-reporting platform most people have never heard of or thought to report to, so what are the actual figures?... 2x, 5x, 10x ?? We can only speculate, but very likely it's some meaningful factor significantly > 1.

Either way, for you to take a dated/dubious 6k deaths figure and comp to a dubious 600k figure, and then claim - Ahah, Covid is 100 times more deadly! - is simply nonsensical at best and deliberately misleading at worst.
I’m starting to see a trend:

600k COVID deaths reported by health professionals…probably not the real number.

11k reported vaccine deaths self reported mainly by non health professionals…probably way underreported.

Can’t trust medical professionals but when a random person reports that a vaccine killed someone, there’s no reason to doubt or investigate the claims.

You should have the right to not get vaccinated.

You should not have the right to spread disease to others.

Simple as that.
And how do enforce such a thing... Strap me down and stick me with your needle? Take away my right to work and live in your society (essentially the same thing in function if not form)? Where do you draw your line?
I draw the line at the point where your public behavior starts to endanger others.

I know I'm late to the party and apologize if you've already clarified this, but these two posts seemed incongruent and I'd like to ask about it.

Boy you guys read selectively often.  Im not confident in any data set. And I've said it too many times

Smh

:confused:  This almost comes across as if you won't believe whatever the new data says, so why encourage more data collection?

I know I'm late to the party and apologize if you've already clarified this, but these two posts seemed incongruent and I'd like to ask about it.

:confused:  This almost comes across as if you won't believe whatever the new data says, so why encourage more data collection?
Kinda nit picky but my point was I'm not confident in the current data, because I don't feel there is enough of it.  

600k COVID deaths reported by health professionals…probably not the real number.
Hospitals rec'd much larger Medicare payouts for patients reported to have died by Covid. In many states, including NY, having a positive test wasn't even required. All that was needed was presumption of infection. Maybe the 600k is legit, maybe it's not.

11k reported vaccine deaths self reported mainly by non health professionals…probably way underreported.
How many people know about the VAERS system? If a tree falls in an empty forrest, it doesn't count, right?

when a random person reports that a vaccine killed someone, there’s no reason to doubt or investigate the claims.
I see a trend in strawman arguments. I never said this.

---

And all of the above aside, you missed the bigger point entirely... Even if your raw numbers were correct, you compared nominal deaths to nominal deaths without percentage context...

Hypothetical - if there had been one death out of the first hundred vaxxed, your comp here would have been the equivalent of saying at that point in the process... "Covid is 600,000 times more deadly!" Comparing raw numbers isn't meaningful, without adding scale to the context.

I stopped reading your post after the first sentence as just around this post was a poster with a four letter first name who has said the vax is 100% safe.   I was assuming he was including kids in that 100% 
That's illogical...there is no vaccine for kids yet so not sure why you'd assume that....makes sense.  You should read the rest.  It's informative and sheds a light on some of the ill thought out talking points we hear often in these parts.  

That's illogical...there is no vaccine for kids yet so not sure why you'd assume that....makes sense.  You should read the rest.  It's informative and sheds a light on some of the ill thought out talking points we hear often in these parts.  
I was just reading the guy's post that said, and I quote:

"The long term effects of these vaccines is a certainty"   I'm going to go ahead and again say that isn't true, and that link I posted is just one reason why. 

To be clear....that post was me emulating the "logic" constantly put forth in this thread.  I agree, it's very flawed.  I am trying to meet people where they are using their logic to illustrate the problems.  Now maybe we can stop with the logic and move forward with the things we actually know both about the virus and the vaccine.  

So what is your definition of long term?
I don't have one unfortunately.   I have no data to support what might be long term in this situation.  So I can't honestly answer that.  
If you can't define what "long term" is, then how can you logically make the statement below?

"The long term effects of these vaccines is a certainty"   I'm going to go ahead and again say that isn't true, and that link I posted is just one reason why. 

That's not what @Doug B said.

We just had a moderator chastising posters for altering quotes, and now you try to pull this? Come on.

That's not what @Doug B said.

We just had a moderator chastising posters for altering quotes, and now you try to pull this? Come on.
Youre right...I left out a word. although there was no malice intended. This is a direct copy and paste

The "long-term" safety of these vaccines is a certainty.  

Better?

Hospitals rec'd much larger Medicare payouts for patients reported to have died by Covid. In many states, including NY, having a positive test wasn't even required. All that was needed was presumption of infection. Maybe the 600k is legit, maybe it's not.

How many people know about the VAERS system? If a tree falls in an empty forrest, it doesn't count, right?

I see a trend in strawman arguments. I never said this.

---

And all of the above aside, you missed the bigger point entirely... Even if your raw numbers were correct, you compared nominal deaths to nominal deaths without percentage context...

Hypothetical - if there had been one death out of the first hundred vaxxed, your comp here would have been the equivalent of saying at that point in the process... "Covid is 600,000 times more deadly!" Comparing raw numbers isn't meaningful, without adding scale to the context.
Again, you think there’s a conspiracy for hospitals to prop up COVID deaths in order to defraud the federal government but your counter argument is ‘look at this self-report system’. I can go on there right now and start reporting deaths that I make up and it will go into the same total you quote.

How many people know about the VAERS system? Probably a lot people because we hand them information about it after every COVID vaccine given and all immunizers were expected to do the same. My pharmacy has been responsible for nearly 10,000 vaccines. I have not heard of a single person dying or being hospitalized. We’ve had a handful of people who saw a doctor due to side effects and maybe 30% who had a day or two of feeling like crap.

Users who are viewing this thread