What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can We Civilly Discuss Thoughts On Vaccination? A Poll. (2 Viewers)

Where would you land among these descriptions?

• Vaccinated and no regret

Votes: 292 82.5%
  • Vaccinated but some regret

Votes: 18 5.1%
  • Not Vaccinated and don't plan to

Votes: 32 9.0%
  • Not Vaccinated but considering it

Votes: 12 3.4%

• Total voters
Have you explored the VAERs system by any chance?  I knew nothing about it until the flu stuff came up a few years ago during the Obama years.  I'm willing to bet 99% of the people on this forum had never heard of it until COVID.  It's amazing how much spam like material is in there now compared to during the last flu outbreak.  It's not unusable, but it's REALLY hard to use at the moment.  That's not dismissing the concept and need for it's existence, but it's ONLY as good as the data being put into it.  There's no way getting around that.
I know, it simultaneously makes sense and is kind of crazy.  Its akin to having a rape hotline and saying that its not that you can't use the calls coming into the hotline but that there are so many prank calls and abuse of the line that we can't do much with it right now.  Its like...ugh
I hadn't heard of the VAERs reporting system until past couple weeks. I get what it's purpose is, but it is susceptible to error - especially now that this has become political - and the data from it is definitely not meant to be referenced as it has.

I know, it simultaneously makes sense and is kind of crazy.  Its akin to having a rape hotline and saying that its not that you can't use the calls coming into the hotline but that there are so many prank calls and abuse of the line that we can't do much with it right now.  Its like...ugh
I think this even falls flat because who does that and has that ever been a problem?  I can see these fake calls that are called in trying to get SWAT teams to peoples' houses (forget the term) being similar, but those are illegal and punishable by law.  Mucking up the VAERs system isn't.  I wish they had some sort of required standard on the VAERs system now.  A few years ago it didn't even occur to me that this would be a problem ever, but here we are.

What I don't understand is the lack of challenging or acceptance of the inverse, that the CDC can't say the vaccine didn't cause the VAER either.
Correct -- this would involve proving a negative. The positive case (that a vaccination caused a death or malady that would not have otherwise occurred) must instead be established.

I hadn't heard of the VAERs reporting system until past couple weeks. I get what it's purpose is, but it is susceptible to error - especially now that this has become political - and the data from it is definitely not meant to be referenced as it has.
I had originally heard of VAERS in the spring. What I thought it was ... was a place for strictly medical professionals to log possible vaccine side effects for follow-up/further study by the CDC. Once I found that VAERS cases were instead self-reported ... yeah. For all intents and purposes, we may treat VAERS data as if it doesn't exist. IMO, anyway. There will be some hundreds of cases that the CDC or other entities may see fit to follow up with, but otherwise there's nothing there.

I had originally heard of VAERS in the spring. What I thought it was ... was a place for strictly medical professionals to log possible vaccine side effects for follow-up/further study by the CDC. Once I found that VAERS cases were instead self-reported ... yeah. For all intents and purposes, we may treat VAERS data as if it doesn't exist. IMO, anyway. There will be some hundreds of cases that the CDC or other entities may see fit to follow up with, but otherwise there's nothing there.
Do you guys know if there is a "strictly medical professional reported" tracking mechanism...sounds like a good idea.  I assume there's something and that's how the FDA/CDC decides what to investigate more deeply...would be interested in the data.

Do you guys know if there is a "strictly medical professional reported" tracking mechanism...sounds like a good idea.  I assume there's something and that's how the FDA/CDC decides what to investigate more deeply...would be interested in the data.
The hard part in the U.S. is that the CDC and FDA don't act as central health-data clearing houses the way, say, the British NHS does. In the U.S., health data collection is fragmented, at minimum, among the 50+ states and territories. Not everyplace reports the same information the same way on the same time frames.

So one state may have a robust, well-maintained vaccine surveillance data collection system. And another state might not.

All that said, this CDC white paper might address (if not completely answer) some of your concerns.  "How are the VAERS data used?" on page 1 might be of interest.

Reading that paper through also got me wondering whether or not people entering VAERS reports have to indicate their relationship to the patient (broadly: Parent/Caregiver, Healthcare Provider, or Self). Perhaps it's possible in VAERS data to simply strip out or else variably weigh self-reporting. Or isolate on provider reports. Something like that.

Wasn't sure whether to post this in the civil discussion thread here, the Covid fearmongering thread, or the media criticism thread since it could fit right in either of the three.

From NYTimes:

"This article misstated the percentage of recent calls to the Mississippi poison control center related to ivermectin. It was 2 percent, not 70 percent,"

LINK

Thanks Commish.

Yes I don't expect the CDC to say the vaccine caused a VAER unless they can show that for certain.  What I don't understand is the lack of challenging or acceptance of the inverse, that the CDC can't say the vaccine didn't cause the VAER either.  So VAERs seems to be tossed out as datapoints worth examining based on part 1 of the above.

Lacking a case by case examination of the 14,000 VAERS, which I understand is a hurdle,  what would seem to be a very reasonable comparison is the VAERS data compared to some normal distribution of adverse events without vaccination and plainly see how they stack up and if any statistical significance.  Maybe this exists and I haven't seen it.  Maybe it exists but its in the CDC mainframe and can't be illustrated in a way my feeble mind can understand.  Maybe it can't be done, I'm open to that but I'd be interested why.
I don't know how much time/effort they put into these.  

I'll give you an example that makes me think there's usually a confounder.  

I had a patient who showed up 2 or 3 days after getting their 1st dose.  They had blood clot all throughout their leg.  Obviously they blamed the vaccine.  There are two problems with this.  1.  That extensive of a blood clot probably didn't develop over 2 or 3 days.  2.  They were ultimately found to have a congenital condition that predisposed them to blood clots.  

So if VAERS looks at things case by case--and sees confounders like this--then usually you would err on the side of "not the vaccine."

Last edited by a moderator:
Something I was curious about. Apparently mandates from a US President opposed to state mandates via legislative actions from the states is a big deal. All 50 states have vaccine requirements 

https://www.ncsl.org/research/health/state-vaccination-policies-requirements-and-exemptions-for-entering-school.aspx
This country would work significantly better if we did the bottom up approach rather than top down, so when I see decisions getting pushed to the states instead of the federal government, I generally encourage that action.  I also encourage the states punting to local municipalities as well.

That said, you raise a decent question here about consistency in position.  There are MANY here and I know in real life that pound their chest mightily that the "government" isn't going to tell them what to do.  There are a few that are consistent regardless of party.  The majority simply slide down the ladder until they find one on their "side" telling them what to do at which point they acquiesce.  Rinse and Repeat.

I thought about starting a new thread, but actually figured I would get a better response in here.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/nyc-restaurant-hostess-attacked-vaccine-status-request-80076327

I dont understand people.  Didnt we just go to the SCOTUS to decide a private business had the right to decide not to serve someone based on their sexuality?  So do private businesses get to decide who they serve or not?

No shirt, no shoes, no service ... right?  But HELL NO when it comes to a businesses decision to check vaccination status?   If you dont like it, shop somewhere else?  Like when schools require vaccinations?  Why is this such a problem?  Why do people feel they are entitled to dictate how a private business may function?

I thought about starting a new thread, but actually figured I would get a better response in here.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/nyc-restaurant-hostess-attacked-vaccine-status-request-80076327

I dont understand people.  Didnt we just go to the SCOTUS to decide a private business had the right to decide not to serve someone based on their sexuality?  So do private businesses get to decide who they serve or not?

No shirt, no shoes, no service ... right?  But HELL NO when it comes to a businesses decision to check vaccination status?   If you dont like it, shop somewhere else?  Like when schools require vaccinations?  Why is this such a problem?  Why do people feel they are entitled to dictate how a private business may function?
This is the second time today I've seen this talking point, so it's worth reminding folks that firms can't legally discriminate on the grounds of sexual orientation.  The ruling you're thinking of was whether a baker can be compelled against his will to bake a cake for a gay wedding -- nobody except for me is arguing for a general right to exclude people on whatever grounds you want.  The bakery in question apparently sells bread and stuff to gay people all the time.  It's just weddings that they have a religious problem with.

Also, SCOTUS has twice declined even to rule definitively on that narrow issue.

Ummm this is a NYC mandate

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
Wasn't sure whether to post this in the civil discussion thread here, the Covid fearmongering thread, or the media criticism thread since it could fit right in either of the three.

From NYTimes:

"This article misstated the percentage of recent calls to the Mississippi poison control center related to ivermectin. It was 2 percent, not 70 percent,"

LINK

:hot:

They just want to make a bunch of money

What's the next talking point we have regarding the government and big business being in bed with each other on these vaccines?

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
The hard part in the U.S. is that the CDC and FDA don't act as central health-data clearing houses the way, say, the British NHS does. In the U.S., health data collection is fragmented, at minimum, among the 50+ states and territories. Not everyplace reports the same information the same way on the same time frames.

So one state may have a robust, well-maintained vaccine surveillance data collection system. And another state might not.

All that said, this CDC white paper might address (if not completely answer) some of your concerns.  "How are the VAERS data used?" on page 1 might be of interest.

Reading that paper through also got me wondering whether or not people entering VAERS reports have to indicate their relationship to the patient (broadly: Parent/Caregiver, Healthcare Provider, or Self). Perhaps it's possible in VAERS data to simply strip out or else variably weigh self-reporting. Or isolate on provider reports. Something like that.
Thanks for this, couple of things I found that I think are helpful

This Page  has some specific reporting on findings within the 12-17yr population.  It references v-safe, which looks like its more of a targeted tool to track outcomes after vaccination (think its still self reported though).  Overall the data supports the fact that the vaccine is statistically very safe for individuals in this age group (not new news and technically covid is safe for this age group as well).  I did find this somewhat alarming:  Nearly one quarter of adolescents in both age groups reported they were unable to perform normal daily activities the day after dose 2.

I also found THIS BBC article, which is so far the closest I have found to what I have been asking for....some level of a side by side comparison.  Interesting that I have to go to the UK to get it.  Its pretty basic and I'd like some more background on the data and completeness...but an helpful comparison.  Between this chart and the datapoint above it would seem that 1 vaccine shot makes statistical sense.  2 not so much.  Thoughts?

Thanks for this, couple of things I found that I think are helpful

This Page  has some specific reporting on findings within the 12-17yr population.  It references v-safe, which looks like its more of a targeted tool to track outcomes after vaccination (think its still self reported though).  Overall the data supports the fact that the vaccine is statistically very safe for individuals in this age group (not new news and technically covid is safe for this age group as well).  I did find this somewhat alarming:  Nearly one quarter of adolescents in both age groups reported they were unable to perform normal daily activities the day after dose 2.

I also found THIS BBC article, which is so far the closest I have found to what I have been asking for....some level of a side by side comparison.  Interesting that I have to go to the UK to get it.  Its pretty basic and I'd like some more background on the data and completeness...but an helpful comparison.  Between this chart and the datapoint above it would seem that 1 vaccine shot makes statistical sense.  2 not so much.  Thoughts?
The one shot argument may be valid, but I don’t think that graphic fully elaborates the risk:benefit of vaccination versus getting covid.

For example, how many cases of myocarditis caused by SARS-CoV-2 does the second shot prevent? How many secondary cases of covid in the community are expected to result from each child who is singly vs. doubly vaccinated?

Why do you find that alarming?
Couple reasons

1.  I have seen nothing in the information that the CDC promotes to expect anything that significant across that large of a population.  Example:  CDC.  Seem odd to not say there is a very high likelihood that you may not be able to perform daily activities the next day, no?  So to learn that, after not more proactive disclosure...is not very confidence building.  As an aside, my wife was out of commission for a few days after dose 1.

2.  Unable to perform activities the following day is a meaningful observation, across nearly 25% of the population.  It's hard to argue that the vaccine does not have adverse effects.  It would be a logical preceding finding to the suspicion that there could be more serious outcomes across a smaller population.  Again, I think the BBC article is incomplete, but would support that notion particularly vis a vis the benefits.

The one shot argument may be valid, but I don’t think that graphic fully elaborates the risk:benefit of vaccination versus getting covid.

For example, how many cases of myocarditis caused by SARS-CoV-2 does the second shot prevent? How many secondary cases of covid in the community are expected to result from each child who is singly vs. doubly vaccinated?
Agree completely, the chart goes the right direction to provide valuable insight, but is incomplete.  I would also say that it does not capture other potential vaccination risks besides myocarditis.  If I were to guess overall if all data was tabulated in aggregate 1 dose makes sense, 2 a coin toss.

Given all the discussion now about a 3rd shot, is a potential path to stretch out the timing for a 2nd...for kids?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you find that alarming?

Couple reasons

1.  I have seen nothing in the information that the CDC promotes to expect anything that significant across that large of a population.  Example:  CDC.  Seem odd to not say there is a very high likelihood that you may not be able to perform daily activities the next day, no?  So to learn that, after not more proactive disclosure...is not very confidence building.  As an aside, my wife was out of commission for a few days after dose 1.

2.  Unable to perform activities the following day is a meaningful observation, across nearly 25% of the population.  It's hard to argue that the vaccine does not have adverse effects.  It would be a logical preceding finding to the suspicion that there could be more serious outcomes across a smaller population.  Again, I think the BBC article is incomplete, but would support that notion particularly vis a vis the benefits.
Were you unaware that the vaccine caused many to get a '1-day' Flu while their body built antibodies?  I felt like crap after my first AZ shot, but had no sickness on the 2nd shot.  But I also knew to expect this.

I was under the impression that this was well known?

Agree completely, the chart goes the right direction to provide valuable insight, but is incomplete.  I would also say that it does not capture other potential vaccination risks besides myocarditis.  If I were to guess overall if all data was tabulated in aggregate 1 dose makes sense, 2 a coin toss.

Given all the discussion now about a 3rd shot, is a potential path to stretch out the timing for a 2nd...for kids?
Sure. It also doesn’t come close to listing all the bad stuff covid can do which doesn’t land one in the hospital.

I don’t know enough to comment on extending the interval between shots.

Were you unaware that the vaccine caused many to get a '1-day' Flu while their body built antibodies?  I felt like crap after my first AZ shot, but had no sickness on the 2nd shot.  But I also knew to expect this.

I was under the impression that this was well known?
Yes, I had heard this and experienced it myself after the 2nd shot.  I was not aware it was as widespread as 1/4 of the population not just sore or headachy but full blown flu symptoms.  

Yes, I had heard this and experienced it myself after the 2nd shot.  I was not aware it was as widespread as 1/4 of the population not just sore or headachy but full blown flu symptoms.  
It kicked the crap out of me.  I got the chills for a couple hours at 3 in the morning, and then I was full blown Flu (mancold) the next day.  I hadn't had the flu in 20 years, so I had forgotten what it felt like. 

My thought is you should stick to sources like this and not venture into the nonsense of our "media" GB.  When you get pure reporting, it shines a spotlight on how many holes and questions there still are.  In our "media" all those holes are covered with opinion and :hophead:  and people unable/unwilling to distinguish between the two.

;)

My thought is you should stick to sources like this and not venture into the nonsense of our "media" GB.  When you get pure reporting, it shines a spotlight on how many holes and questions there still are.  In our "media" all those holes are covered with opinion and :hophead:  and people unable/unwilling to distinguish between the two.

;)
Can I give this a half thumbs up.  A knuckle maybe?

I completely understand the disdain for our media.  Media, politicians, government agencies (anything run by humans)...I put them in the same boat.  Some good, some bad, some trash.  Know the biases and motivations of your sources and adjust accordingly.  I wouldn't say trust but verify...more like benefit of the doubt and verify.

I intuitively don't care if its Fox, CNN, NYT, BBC, Trump, Biden, FDA, CDC....but yes outlets like Fox and CNN have proven themselves to me more trash than just bad or biased, I try to avoid them.

Can I give this a half thumbs up.  A knuckle maybe?

I completely understand the disdain for our media.  Media, politicians, government agencies (anything run by humans)...I put them in the same boat.  Some good, some bad, some trash.  Know the biases and motivations of your sources and adjust accordingly.  I wouldn't say trust but verify...more like benefit of the doubt and verify.

I intuitively don't care if its Fox, CNN, NYT, BBC, Trump, Biden, FDA, CDC....but yes outlets like Fox and CNN have proven themselves to me more trash than just bad or biased, I try to avoid them.
You can give whatever you like GB. The most important thing id point out is your perception that the BBC reporting and its completeness. 

That is almost always the way it is when you get "just the facts" kind of reporting. 

Bro my neighbors are as liberal as they come, but they have told me they aren't vaccinating their 7 year old. The data just isnt there.

Mandate that and see what happens...
Do they have enough training to effectively evaluate the performance of the vaccine in the RCTs?

How do we get passed the lie that the bureaucracy which causes these extended timelines to market are a positive thing and keeping us "safe"?

How do we get passed the lie that the bureaucracy which causes these extended timelines to market are a positive thing and keeping us "safe"?
What lie?

The one that asserts that the FDA should have already granted approval that the manufacturers haven't yet requested?  The one that asserts that the FDA is expected to grant this approval is about a month (despite not even having the application) is an unreasonable bureaucratic delay?  Those lies?

What lie?

The one that asserts that the FDA should have already granted approval that the manufacturers haven't yet requested?  The one that asserts that the FDA is expected to grant this approval is about a month (despite not even having the application) is an unreasonable bureaucratic delay?  Those lies?
The one that says it's "safe" because it takes 5 years to get it to market....that lie.  It's all over the place.

Okay.  I thought you were going somewhere else.  Rereading it makes it fit better.  My bad!
If we cut all the government overhead out of vaccines of the past and compare to today, it's easy to see that the science portion was not impacted in a meaningful way and any minuscule differences are completely covered in the popularity and willingness to jump into trials.  The data sets are the largest I've ever seen, but I've only been on this earth for 47 years.

He is referencing those that argue these vaccines are still very much untested because it takes years of data to prove they are safe.  Which is generally rebutted by the medical guys asking which vaccine historically didn't show adverse effects relatively shortly after introduction.

Basically it is the argument that an unlikely, unknown future risk from the vaccine should be given much greater weight than the better but not fully known risk of getting Covid.

He is referencing those that argue these vaccines are still very much untested because it takes years of data to prove they are safe.  Which is generally rebutted by the medical guys asking which vaccine historically didn't show adverse effects relatively shortly after introduction.

Basically it is the argument that an unlikely, unknown future risk from the vaccine should be given much greater weight than the better but not fully known risk of getting Covid.

the funny thing is that I get that argument. History is replete with the medical field giving us stuff that turns out to be harmful. Where they lose me is with talks of vast conspiracies or attempts by the government of "controlling' the population, or even intentionally depopulating the world. Just wacky stuff. 

If we could limit the arguments to those based in a reasonable sense of reality, there is a conversation to be had. I mean, at least I get the argument that someone doesn't want to take the vaccine because it hasn't been tested enough. I disagree with it, but I understand where it's coming from.

But the level of anger/snark/vitriol around all this is disheartening. 

Is that your standard? 
I mean, if your neighbors are claiming, "the data just isn't there", then I hope they have some training to properly evaluate if "the data just isn't there", otherwise, their claim is based on what exactly?

Again, some appeal to expertise in these matters is worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread