What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can We Civilly Discuss Thoughts On Vaccination? A Poll. (1 Viewer)

Where would you land among these descriptions?

• Vaccinated and no regret

Votes: 292 82.5%
  • Vaccinated but some regret

Votes: 18 5.1%
  • Not Vaccinated and don't plan to

Votes: 32 9.0%
  • Not Vaccinated but considering it

Votes: 12 3.4%

• Total voters
In a word, no.

No healthcare provider willingly allows patients with treatable conditions to die, assuming they want treatment. 

Then let us continue to discuss how to effort the problem from a logistical standpoint.

I've said here in the FBG forums for the last 15 years, that any practical and functional solution needs a logistical pathway.

If you can't reduce the patient load, then let's look at increasing the manpower in place and changing the layout/structure in how the most severe cases of COVID19 are placed/housed.

You are saying everyone should get vaccinated. That's the ideal. But it's not going to happen. So let's unpack what we can do given the realities presented to both of us.

Let's start with the first issue

1) In terms of manpower, the organization in America best suited for complex large scale training and to expedite it and has the infrastructure in place to currently and practically support that is the US military.

So let's say several US military bases are used as training centers. Obviously you can't churn out a nurse or a doctor in 3 months. However, how fast could you train someone to handle the most common functions needed to handle a COVID19 patient? These people would be paid by the US government, thus would federal employees, who chose voluntarily to apply, thus would be under the vaccine mandate ( well the portion that would survive SCOTUS scrutiny) These people get a federal paycheck, gain some work experience and are offered some kind of future loan forgiveness if they pursue a degree related to joining the medical/health care industry. Then they are distributed on a need basis to hospitals around the country. They don't impact that hospitals own internal budget but it offers manpower and reinforcements.

A Presidential Executive Order ( pretend we had one right now with the cognitive reasoning to be able to do that) would bypass some of the issues of licensing/bureaucratic red tape.

If it sounds like I'm talking functional large scale triage, than that's exactly what it sounds like.

As a long standing health care professional, how fast could one practically train someone to handle the core work with COVID19 patients? I'm talking meat and bones.  Yes, I understand there are nuances you can't replace with practical work experience/tenure of a long standing health care professional who has been battle tested, done rotations, done internships, etc, etc, but tell me what would it take?

If you can't stop the flow of patients, then you can try to change the number of people fighting it on the front lines.

I'm open to hearing if you had no choice but to lay out a plan to increase the manpower, what would you do to make it functional and to expedite it.

I look forward to your response.

At this point, if they are, they're horribly mismanaged. Very few Covid cases are resulting in hospitalization - and that includes people being hospitalized for other things and learning they're positive.
This is completely wrong.  Do you think all these states and hospitals are lying about their ICU capacity?

Do you believe that Covid is a real thing?  Your post comes off like you're a denier.

At this point, if they are, they're horribly mismanaged. Very few Covid cases are resulting in hospitalization - and that includes people being hospitalized for other things and learning they're positive.
This is completely wrong.  Do you think all these states and hospitals are lying about their ICU capacity?

Do you believe that Covid is a real thing?  Your post comes off like you're a denier.
No I don't think they're lying - and of course Covid is real.

Here's a question for you. What percentage of cases result in hospitalization?

Natural immunity is a myth LINK
Ugh. It's a shame that some people who are trying to communicate the importance of vaccination don't seem to realize you can't write a sentence like that, even if you try to explain what you mean in another 10 different tweets. The other side is just going to focus on that one sentence. 

You have to know the game being played and be more careful with your words.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh. It's a shame that some people who are trying to communicate the importance of vaccination don't seem to realize you can't write a sentence like that, even if you try to explain what you mean in another 10 different tweets. The other side is just going to focus on that one sentence. 

That's one way to describe the dangers of fear mongering.

Yeah, if you read on, the guy raises a good point -- don't just rely on natural immunity, because your body may not have produced the immune response you're banking on.  Got it, good advice.  

But oof that first post in the thread is a doozy.  You just can't lead with something like that and expect people to take you seriously.  

Yeah, if you read on, the guy raises a good point -- don't just rely on natural immunity, because your body may not have produced the immune response you're banking on.  Got it, good advice.  
From what I've been able to gather ... immunity, at the individual level, is a wildly variable & chaotic thing. No one person can really look at what other people have experienced with COVID and say "Yep ... those people are a lot like me, so I can totally count on having a similar response."

It doesn't seem to work that way. And this variability confounds individual efforts to "follow the science" because unless you know a lot of minutiae about an individual's health and physiology ... you never really never know what you're dealing with in the case of your immune reaction to a COVID infection.

I am not sure.  Are you referring to the unvaccinated vs vaccinated rate of hospitalization?  Or just the total rate of hospitalization amongst people who contracted Covid?

I am not sure.  Are you referring to the unvaccinated vs vaccinated rate of hospitalization?  Or just the total rate of hospitalization amongst people who contracted Covid?
All of it, combined, even throw in those hospitalized for something else and discover they're positive. 

From what I've been able to gather ... immunity, at the individual level, is a wildly variable & chaotic thing. No one person can really look at what other people have experienced with COVID and say "Yep ... those people are a lot like me, so I can totally count on having a similar response."

This is makes a very good case for an individual consulting their own doctor and making their own decisions for themselves based on their own individual case.

This is makes a very good case for an individual consulting their own doctor and making their own decisions for themselves based on their own individual case.
The problem is:  most of the people being hospitalized did this and made the wrong choice.

Moreso, in most casses when they consult with their own doctor--the doctors are recommending people get it.  The cases where people are told not to get it are few and far between.  

I’ve been to two music festivals the last two weekends. 

Vaccination card or negative Covid test required for entry.

Everything went smoothly. I much appreciate the staff working so hard.

Large crowds and great music!
Awesome.  Can't wait until this becomes more widespread.

It doesn't seem to work that way. And this variability confounds individual efforts to "follow the science" because unless you know a lot of minutiae about an individual's health and physiology ... you never really never know what you're dealing with in the case of your immune reaction to a COVID infection.
This is why the idea natural immunity is more potent is probably off-base. A bunch of studies have shown a subset of people infected with SARS-CoV-2 don’t develop antibodies at all:

Initial serosurveys identified antibodies in nearly 100% of persons with RT-PCR–confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection (5). However, more recent studies have shown that seroconversion rates are surprisingly variable (6–10). For example, a multicenter study from Israel reported that 5% of participants remained seronegative despite a positive test result on a nasal swab specimen (6). In contrast, a seroprevalence study from New York found that 20% of persons with a positive RT-PCR test result did not seroconvert (8). Another study from Germany reported that 85% of confirmed infected COVID-19 contacts failed to develop antibodies (9). 
This likely is influenced by the exposure, with greater viral burden/symptoms leading to more brisk antibody response. But there are many people who never develop symptoms, some of whom had such a low exposure they don’t need antibodies to control infection. On top of that, not all the antibodies are neutralizing, as natural immunity is effectively trial-and-error production of antibodies in response to different digested viral segments.

Vaccines, on the other hand, offer a consistent dose of the spike protein’s receptor binding domain. Assuming one’s antibody production isn’t dysfunctional, this all but guarantees high titers of neutralizing antibodies. And Moderna appears to outperform Pfizer because the dosing is a little higher.

Taking all that into consideration, it’s hard to reconcile the oft-referenced Israeli study. I wonder where they are in the peer-review process?

Last edited by a moderator:
He’s looking at the low overall rate of hospitalization and suggesting covid is inconsequential, with a sprinkling of hospitalized with, but not from covid to regurgitate another worn-out talking point. But the beds don’t lie.

What he’s missing: a sh!t ton of infections can still lead to many hospitalizations, as the absolute number of sick people is large, even if the overall percentage is small. On top of that, covid patients use up more resources than average patients, and remain in the hospital longer.

The end result is hospitals get overwhelmed. This occurs regionally, as the concentration of infections isn’t uniform. But it’s happened repeatedly, and it’s happening now in some places - not because of mismanagement, but regional variations in disease prevalence and healthcare resources.

Hawaii is one of those places. Thankfully, infections are downtrending and hospital beds are finally opening up. This is following several weeks of 100%+ capacity and crisis mode requiring FEMA personnel, cancelling elective procedures and delivering cr@ppy healthcare, unfortunately.

... at fist glance, maybe, but not really. Mere consultation wouldn't be enough, I don't think. Unless you're at your doctor's all the time for various immune-system issues .... frankly, your doctor would be guessing blind. And there's no quick-and-dirty test that would tell the doctor all that much in a short time. Given time and a history of seeing a given doctor and lots of tests in your folder ... yeah, that's one thing. But all the "I'm healthy and never see a doctor" folks? Different story.

From his hospital bed at Integris Baptist Medical Center, Hartley, 62, said he's convinced he caught COVID-19 while working at Harding Fine Arts, an Oklahoma City charter school where masks are now required for all students.  

Hartley’s immune system is compromised from having a kidney transplant 10 years ago. Like many transplant recipients, he takes immunosuppressants that weaken his immune system and prevent his body from rejecting the new organ. 

Hartley took his third dose of the Pfizer vaccine last month. Without it, he and Regina suspect the infection could have been much worse. 

“We’re just so grateful that he was able to get the booster shot in August because I’m sure that’s what saved him,” Regina said. “And that’s why he’s coming home this week.” 

COVID-19 poses a significant risk for people with organ transplants, like Hartley and his daughter, who also needed a new kidney. 

Johns Hopkins Medicine research found little more than half of fully vaccinated transplant recipients had developed antibodies that fight off the coronavirus, according to a study published in May. Of the 658 studied transplant recipients, 46% had no antibodies at all, even after two vaccine doses. 

“Based on our findings, we recommend that transplant recipients and other immunocompromised patients continue to practice strict COVID-19 safety precautions, even after vaccination,” the study’s lead author, Brian Boyarsky, said in a Johns Hopkins news release. 

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/education/2021/09/22/covid-19-breakthrough-case-hospitalizes-oklahoma-city-teacher/5796308001/
That is a pretty crazy stat no?  Or am I missing something?  Does taking immunosuppressants reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine?

what does that have to do with hospitals being overrun with covid cases, resulting in surgeries and other procedures being cancelled?

That is a pretty crazy stat no?  Or am I missing something?  Does taking immunosuppressants reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine?
They absolutely do.  That's not unique to this vaccine either.  It's something the immunocompromised have to deal with in life and something we should be considering when weighing whether or not we get the vaccines ourselves.

Oncologist sent me to ER. One of my chemo drugs likely caused heart damage.

I am waiting to be admitted and be seen by a cardiologist.

The hospital isn't working anywhere near peak efficiency b/c of—you guessed it— unvaxed covid patients clogging up everything. I hate it here.

https://twitter.com/SorayaMcDonald/status/1443161969998061571?s=19

Just another whiny chemo patient who didn't produce comprehensive numbers that verify what everyone is saying, so best not to believe her.

Oncologist sent me to ER. One of my chemo drugs likely caused heart damage.

I am waiting to be admitted and be seen by a cardiologist.

The hospital isn't working anywhere near peak efficiency b/c of—you guessed it— unvaxed covid patients clogging up everything. I hate it here.

https://twitter.com/SorayaMcDonald/status/1443161969998061571?s=19

Just another whiny chemo patient who didn't produce comprehensive numbers that verify what everyone is saying, so best not to believe her.
Thoughts and prayers for you man.  Good luck and stay as safe as possible.  Just another example of the unvaxxed problem bleeding over to those who care.

“I’m not anti-vax, I’m not anti-medicine, I’m not anti-science, It is my belief that the vaccine status of every person should be their own choice, completely up to them, without bullying, without being pressured or without being forced into doing so. " - Jonathan Isaac.
Well, he's no Kyrie, that's for sure

Users who are viewing this thread