What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can We Civilly Discuss Thoughts On Vaccination? A Poll. (1 Viewer)

Where would you land among these descriptions?

• Vaccinated and no regret

Votes: 292 82.5%
  • Vaccinated but some regret

Votes: 18 5.1%
  • Not Vaccinated and don't plan to

Votes: 32 9.0%
  • Not Vaccinated but considering it

Votes: 12 3.4%

• Total voters
So after some more reading, it appears natural immunity played a huge role in getting India's cases under control. 

Two-thirds of Indians have coronavirus antibodies, survey shows

This means India had substantially greater number of cases than what was reported and their death rate substantially lower. 
It's likely that there was a greater number of cases AND deaths.  People there aren't buying the deaths reported.

Ivermectin is still being used by some doctors in India but it’s my understanding that the idea is to give it to someone early on and not in the hospital. 

Ivermectin is still being used by some doctors in India but it’s my understanding that the idea is to give it to someone early on and not in the hospital. 
This is correct...it's an antiviral.  Once in the hospital, the viral part is generally gone and you're on to the inflammation problems that come with infection.

It's likely that there was a greater number of cases AND deaths.  People there aren't buying the deaths reported.
India’s numbers have always seemed way, way too low. It would be great if such a high % have already been infected.

The only country with fishier numbers is China.

Max Power said:
2/3 of 1.38 billion is 918k. Assuming not everyone who gets an infection develops antibodies, 1 billion is reasonable. 
A good portion of those that tested positive for antibodies got them from a vaccine. 

That keeps my math ballpark for 1 billion cases in India.

Also an interesting (although small) study was released about the duration of detectable antibodies in the Pfizer vaccine after 6 months.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/got-pfizer-may-not-antibodies-103253108.html

A new study from researchers at Stanford University, Emory University, the University of Wisconsin, and the National Institutes of Health, which has yet to be peer reviewed, was posted on the preprint server bioRxiv on Sept. 30. The findings show how much antibodies wane from the Pfizer vaccine, especially against Delta, over time. To reach that conclusion, the researchers collected blood samples from 46 mostly young to middle-aged Pfizer recipients after they were vaccinated through the next seven months. They looked at both the neutralizing antibody responses and T cell responses in the participants to see how protected they were against certain variants of concern, including Delta, Beta (first detected in South Africa), and Mu (first detected in Colombia).

In 47 percent of the subjects, neutralizing antibodies that can block infection against the Delta variant were "undetectable" six months after the second dose. Though neutralizing antibodies are not the immune system's only defense against a virus, the researchers pointed out to Reuters, they "are critically important in protecting against SARS-CoV-2 infection." Another key factor is T cell response, and the data showed that while some levels "significantly downregulated" in the same timeframe, others "did not differ significantly." According to the authors, "These data demonstrate a substantial waning of antibody responses and T cell immunity to SARS-CoV-2 and its variants, at six months following the second immunization" with Pfizer.

"Our study shows vaccination with the Pfizer-BioNtech vaccine induces high levels of neutralizing antibodies against the original vaccine strain, but these levels drop by nearly 10-fold by seven months" after the initial dose, Bali Pulendran of Stanford University and Mehul Suthar of Emory University told Reuters via email. "These findings suggest that administering a booster dose at around six to seven months following the initial immunization will likely enhance protection against SARS-CoV-2 and its variants."

There are other studies like this one from Iceland that show less than 10% did not seroconvert after natural infection and this one from the UK showed 8.5% nonseroconversion.  But we do know that this number does not stay consistent as time progresses post-infection.  This study suggests that, "Especially in asymptomatic cases, antibody responses disappeared after 8 weeks in 40% of individuals in that study." (emphasis mine)

So it's difficult to estimate due to the noted effect above, but we can use ~20% that were infected and didn't have detectable antibodies (that doesn't mean that their memory B-cells wouldn't produce them upon reinfection, but that's a different topic).

As for the vaccinated, a much larger number seroconvert as noted by @The Football Freak, but that may too fade over time.  However, that Rueters article said this, "The survey showed 67.6% of adults were seropositive, while more than 62% of adults were unvaccinated. As of July, just over 8% of eligible adult Indians had received two vaccine doses."  We know that seroconversion happens after the first dose, so we can use 35% of the population having vaccine induced antibodies.  Now there's also the crossover folks that were infected naturally AND received a vaccine dose.  I'm not sure how to get at that number.

Even if 10% of that 35% didn't seroconvert, that's still 31%, so higher than the 20% as noted above.  Therefore, these numbers likely don't wash each other out.  But my larger point is that math of 2/3rds of 1.3 billion is way too simple, as is epidemic modeling.  Both natural and vaccine induced responses (along with NPIs) contributed to the slowdown in Delta in India.  It's rarely an either-or scenario. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have colleagues in India that I work with directly, but I do have them in Vietnam, Thailand, Taiwan, and China. 

I can tell you that the Vietnamese and Thai governments were actively locking down businesses and entire districts of cities for days and weeks.  That is still ongoing in Vietnam. Nothing like that ever happened in the US.

So yes, behavior change is real either voluntarily or forced by the government and it absolutely can curb and reverse the trends in an epidemic. 
NYC was practically a ghost town from mid March 2020 - end of April 2020. You basically left your house for supplies only, all restaurants and entertainment venues were closed. You didnt visit family. Ill never forget those 6 weeks so dont tell me nothing like that ever happened here. Maybe it didnt happen everywhere but it definitely happened here.

I don't have colleagues in India that I work with directly, but I do have them in Vietnam, Thailand, Taiwan, and China. 

I can tell you that the Vietnamese and Thai governments were actively locking down businesses and entire districts of cities for days and weeks.  That is still ongoing in Vietnam. Nothing like that ever happened in the US.

So yes, behavior change is real either voluntarily or forced by the government and it absolutely can curb and reverse the trends in an epidemic. 
One of my best friends lives in southern  China.  His stories were unreal.  NOTHING close to what they experienced happened here.  They weren't allowed to leave their homes for two months...no exceptions outside of looming death.  Supplies/food etc were brought to your door.  After that two months, things slowly started to open.  The next step was being allowed to go to a location in your neighborhood to pick up your goods/food (think apartment complex with a club house sorta).  The next step after that was one person from the family being allowed outside the "neighborhood" once a week etc etc.  It took about 5 months before the entire family was able to do anything at all outside, together.  

NYC was practically a ghost town from mid March 2020 - end of April 2020. You basically left your house for supplies only, all restaurants and entertainment venues were closed. You didnt visit family. Ill never forget those 6 weeks so dont tell me nothing like that ever happened here. Maybe it didnt happen everywhere but it definitely happened here.
Definitely different interpretations of locked down.  Commish is right.

Yes, NYC was the closest the US has come to a true lockdown.  I think the only caveat was that interstate travel was never restricted.  In other countries, many lockdowns mean that police are patrolling the streets and checking papers to make sure the people are still in their residential neighborhoods.  And while that may sound harsh or extreme (and I agree it is), the here in the US, the state (sometimes the musicality) has public health police powers to do just that.

Yes, NYC was the closest the US has come to a true lockdown.  I think the only caveat was that interstate travel was never restricted.  In other countries, many lockdowns mean that police are patrolling the streets and checking papers to make sure the people are still in their residential neighborhoods.  And while that may sound harsh or extreme (and I agree it is), the here in the US, the state (sometimes the musicality) has public health police powers to do just that.
It wasn’t nearly to the same extent, but non-essential work travel was absolutely restricted in the US by many states for a while. 

Philadelphia was giving out $500 tickets if people were out of their house and not engaged in an essential activity.   My nephew got a ticket for driving alone in his car.

We couldn't buy vegetable seeds in Michigan.  If you needed groceries, ok.  But the seeds were roped off.  Same with patio furniture. Everything in michigan was closed except food and big box stores.  

I had always assumed the reduction in cases in India was due to Ivermectin treatment. If that isn't the case, I do need some more explanation than a theory about changes in human behavior causing such a dramatic reduction. 

India has several cities in the top 5 or 10 worldwide for population density. This makes any sort of social distancing almost impossible and I doubt mask usage reduces spread THAT significantly. 

Let's look at the numbers here...

India peaked at 391,000 cases May 9th. By July 1st they were down to 46,000 cases. 

India's vaccination rate on May 9th was just under 10% with a single dose and 2.5% fully vaccinated. July 1st was 20% with a single dose and 4.6% fully vaccinated. 

They got their cases under control with only 5% of the population fully vaccinated while we struggle with our cases at 60% fully vaccinated.

It seems like I'm missing something here. The best I can come up with is Delta is going to run its course regardless of vaccination status.

The Vax Mob don't want to hear this, but keep keeping, brother.

I think that's close to the truth, but epidemic modeling is difficult and there are many people with PhDs on this very topic. There's a lot of factors and it's very chaotic.  Vaccination levels are certainly one of those factors. 

Have you checked the vaccination levels of PhDs?

Why did New York City see a reduction back in early 2020 when they were getting ravaged? That was before the vaccine.

Why does any epidemic spread happen in waves with peaks and valleys?  It's a lot of factors.  Vaccines are just one variable, but behavior is absolutely another one.  So is the weather and government interventions and geography and economics and demographics, not to mention the particulars of this virus and the "clumpiness" of the spread. 

It's a complicated topic with a whole field of academic research.

Plus, this virus and pandemic has defied simple logic and has necessitated complex models.

LOL, but yes, take our jobs and schooling away over your vax.

There are other studies like this one from Iceland that show less than 10% did not seroconvert after natural infection and this one from the UK showed 8.5% nonseroconversion.  But we do know that this number does not stay consistent as time progresses post-infection.  This study suggests that, "Especially in asymptomatic cases, antibody responses disappeared after 8 weeks in 40% of individuals in that study." (emphasis mine)

So it's difficult to estimate due to the noted effect above, but we can use ~20% that were infected and didn't have detectable antibodies (that doesn't mean that their memory B-cells wouldn't produce them upon reinfection, but that's a different topic).

As for the vaccinated, a much larger number seroconvert as noted by @The Football Freak, but that may too fade over time.  However, that Rueters article said this, "The survey showed 67.6% of adults were seropositive, while more than 62% of adults were unvaccinated. As of July, just over 8% of eligible adult Indians had received two vaccine doses."  We know that seroconversion happens after the first dose, so we can use 35% of the population having vaccine induced antibodies.  Now there's also the crossover folks that were infected naturally AND received a vaccine dose.  I'm not sure how to get at that number.

Even if 10% of that 35% didn't seroconvert, that's still 31%, so higher than the 20% as noted above.  Therefore, these numbers likely don't wash each other out.  But my larger point is that math of 2/3rds of 1.3 billion is way too simple, as is epidemic modeling.  Both natural and vaccine induced responses (along with NPIs) contributed to the slowdown in Delta in India.  It's rarely an either-or scenario. 

Except for the delta virus the vaccine does not significantly reduce the levels of the virus and the ability to spread it to others.  

Have you checked the vaccination levels of PhDs?
Wait, you still believe that debunked meme?

This is exactly part of the problem.  Some jackass posts a meme like PhDs aren't getting vaxxed, and they're smart!  Those seeking confirmation for their vax-denial views glom onto it like a life raft, never bothering to check later that it was made up and/or not remotely credible.  Rinse and repeat.

This is exactly part of the problem.  Some jackass posts a meme like PhDs aren't getting vaxxed, and they're smart!  Those seeking confirmation for their vax-denial views glom onto it like a life raft, never bothering to check later that it was made up and/or not remotely credible.  Rinse and repeat.
It's not just that.  It's also things like a 40% reduction in viral load not being a "significant reduction".  When people are presented data they can't refute the lines they draw are really weird.  Lots of people staying at Holiday Inn Express these days.  

Absolutely. Not only were the "PhDs" bogus, but the whole concept is silly, when you consider vaccination rates among doctors who actually treat covid patients.

From autism to long-term safety "concerns", I'm not sure why vaccines are so vulnerable to misinformation.

Absolutely. Not only were the "PhDs" bogus, but the whole concept is silly, when you consider vaccination rates among doctors who actually treat covid patients.

From autism to long-term safety "concerns", I'm not sure why vaccines are so vulnerable to misinformation.
social media

Concerns and objections to vaccination is a relatively new concept that appears to have arisen with the wide use of the internet back in the late 90's.

For nearly two decades and anti-vax movement was a rather small, albeit dedicated, group of folks who stood by their beliefs.

I did not agree with them, but I also do not govern other people. I was rationally concerned about what it might mean for measles and such to be present where my kids were attending school for example.

Still, I and my family were vaccinated and reasonably protected. So let them handle their situation as they see fit of course.

If people want to risk their lives for their beliefs so be it.  I am vaccinated and thus protected. If the vaccination did not work then why push it so emphatically? Therefore it must be a suitable protection, regardless of the choices of others.

If people want to risk their lives for their beliefs so be it.  I am vaccinated and thus protected. If the vaccination did not work then why push it so emphatically? Therefore it must be a suitable protection, regardless of the choices of others.
But it doesn’t work forever for everyone, and the decisions made by opting out needlessly impact the healthcare system, and the communities it serves.

social media
Certainly a huge influence, but vaccines seem to garner a disproportionate amount of attention from pseudoscientists. I can’t think of another medical intervention with soooo much unearned negative press. And for something that arguably has saved more lives than just about anything, except maybe water sanitation standards.

Certainly a huge influence, but vaccines seem to garner a disproportionate amount of attention from pseudoscientists. I can’t think of another medical intervention with soooo much unearned negative press. And for something that arguably has saved more lives than just about anything, except maybe water sanitation standards.
If we sit back and observe we realize this attention is driven by one of two things....it always boils down to "politics" or "time".  The politics part, we have a shot (albeit slim) to correct that.  The time thing is going to be sticking point for many moving forward.  The government sold their inefficiencies as "safety" and a TON of people lapped it up and now associate the time/speed with quality/safety.  That's going to take a generation or two to fix.  

Concerns and objections to vaccination is a relatively new concept that appears to have arisen with the wide use of the internet back in the late 90's.

For nearly two decades and anti-vax movement was a rather small, albeit dedicated, group of folks who stood by their beliefs.
This is an interesting thought and well articulated.  I read this and the flat earthers immediately came to mind.  Heck growing up i never heard of this idea. The internet has given it an absurd amount of traction.  

NHL star allegedly used fake vaccine card, a federal crime punishable by up to five years in prison

Buying, using or selling fake vaccine cards is illegal in the U.S.

The San Jose Sharks are investigating forward Evander Kane for allegedly using a fake COVID-19 vaccination card, Front Office Sports reported. 

Penalties directly related to the use of fake vaccine cards are not specifically defined in season guidelines but the league said “lack of compliance with, the COVID-19 Protocol will result in significant Club and individual sanctions, including potential forfeiture of games, fines and reimbursements of expenses, loss of draft choices, and/or ineligibility for participation in training activities.”

Yet buying, using or selling fake vaccine cards is illegal in the U.S. and violators risk up to five years in prison. 

Front Office Sports said both the San Jose Sharks and NHL declined to comment on the Tuesday report. 

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/575702-nhl-star-allegedly-used-fake-vaccine-card-a
Lifetime Ban. 

Seems a bit harsh, but suspension without pay for remainder of season seems reasonable.
Does seem harsh, but if that's the rule he made the decision and should be held accountable :shrug:  

It's quite amazing that people would actively choose to screw with their careers like this.

We need some consistancy here.  Anyone else caught doing this would lose their job.  He needs to be fired if we're going to be fair about it. 
1. The bolded is entirely possible, but not guaranteed.  Some employers might say "get vaccinated now or you're fired".  Some employers might base the decision on how great the employee is/isn't.

2. Why are you so insistent on "consistency"?  Why can't each employer be left to decide?  

Does seem harsh, but if that's the rule he made the decision and should be held accountable :shrug:  

It's quite amazing that people would actively choose to screw with their careers like this.
The part of the article Max quoted seemed to say there isn't a specific rule for this.  I don't actually know.  If the rule is lifetime ban, then sure, rules are rules and actions have consequences.

The part of the article Max quoted seemed to say there isn't a specific rule for this.  I don't actually know.  If the rule is lifetime ban, then sure, rules are rules and actions have consequences.
Yeah, I don't pay much attention to the NHL.  There's not much I could care less about honestly.  His "consistency" comment makes it seem as if the NHL has had to deal with this already, so whatever they did in that case, they need to do in this one.  I'd agree with that.  I have no idea who that guy is though.  Is he a star in the NHL and being treated different?

1. The bolded is entirely possible, but not guaranteed.  Some employers might say "get vaccinated now or you're fired".  Some employers might base the decision on how great the employee is/isn't.

2. Why are you so insistent on "consistency"?  Why can't each employer be left to decide?  
Probably the military in me.

I mean this is either a pandemic that has costs millions of lives and should be taken very seriously or we're just saying that when it benefits the narrative. 

The man put the lives of all his teammates at risk right?  I don't see how any organization finds that acceptable. 

It doesn't sound like the NHL ever considered this. No specific rule that I know of. Apparently the federal punishment is up to 5 years. 

Probably the military in me.

I mean this is either a pandemic that has costs millions of lives and should be taken very seriously or we're just saying that when it benefits the narrative. 

The man put the lives of all his teammates at risk right?  I don't see how any organization finds that acceptable. 
It's absolutely a pandemic that has cost millions of lives and should be taken seriously.  That's not really up for debate.

That said, I don't know that every company needs to put the exact same policies into place.  Restaurants, hospitals, call centers where the employees work from home, and pro sports leagues probably should all have different policies.  Different pro sports leagues may even want different policies.  I can see that golf's policies might be different than basketball, based on the differences in interactions between participants, participants and staff, etc.

In this particular case, there's also the legalities of a long-term contract versus at-will employment, CBA versus at-will employment, etc. to consider.  I won't pretend to be able to weigh in on any of those.

Yeah, I don't pay much attention to the NHL.  There's not much I could care less about honestly.  His "consistency" comment makes it seem as if the NHL has had to deal with this already, so whatever they did in that case, they need to do in this one.  I'd agree with that.  I have no idea who that guy is though.  Is he a star in the NHL and being treated different?
I pay virtually no attention to the NHL.  I have no idea if this guy is any good, if the team is a contender, etc.

It's absolutely a pandemic that has cost millions of lives and should be taken seriously.  That's not really up for debate.

That said, I don't know that every company needs to put the exact same policies into place.  Restaurants, hospitals, call centers where the employees work from home, and pro sports leagues probably should all have different policies.  Different pro sports leagues may even want different policies.  I can see that golf's policies might be different than basketball, based on the differences in interactions between participants, participants and staff, etc.

In this particular case, there's also the legalities of a long-term contract versus at-will employment, CBA versus at-will employment, etc. to consider.  I won't pretend to be able to weigh in on any of those.
We literally have a thread here if we should fire people for not taking the vaccine and it is getting more yes than no replies. This guy not only refused, but falsified documents and lied to his employers and co-workers. Seems pretty clear he needs to be terminated.  I know I would be from federal governement if I did what he did.  

If we're going take it seriously, take it seriously.  This one foot in, one foot out is what gives people pause.  Either people really believe the unvaccinated are endangering other people's lives or they don't. This type of response leads me to believe its just going along with a narrative. 

We literally have a thread here if we should fire people for not taking the vaccine and it is getting more yes than no replies. This guy not only refused, but falsified documents and lied to his employers and co-workers. Seems pretty clear he needs to be terminated.  I know I would be from federal governement if I did what he did.  

If we're going take it seriously, take it seriously.  This one foot in, one foot out is what gives people pause.  Either people really believe the unvaccinated are endangering other people's lives or they don't. This type of response leads me to believe its just going along with a narrative. 
Whoa, you're putting words in my mouth.  If I were the owner, and no contractual or CBA terms prevented me from doing so, I'd fire him immediately.  That's not the same thing as what I wrote above, though.  If I owned a company where some employees worked from home, I might not fire those employees for refusing to get vaccinated (I might, though, on the basis that individuals too selfish/stupid to get vaccinated are also too selfish/stupid to work for me).

You have what I consider an unhealthy obsession that everyone "on a side" has to be in lockstep about everything and that one policy absolutely must fit all cases.  The bolded above is a good example.  I believe unvaxxed folks are endangering others.  That doesn't mean the owner of said NHL team believes it or believes it to the same extent that I do.

Whoa, you're putting words in my mouth.  If I were the owner, and no contractual or CBA terms prevented me from doing so, I'd fire him immediately.  That's not the same thing as what I wrote above, though.  If I owned a company where some employees worked from home, I might not fire those employees for refusing to get vaccinated (I might, though, on the basis that individuals too selfish/stupid to get vaccinated are also too selfish/stupid to work for me).

You have what I consider an unhealthy obsession that everyone "on a side" has to be in lockstep about everything and that one policy absolutely must fit all cases.  The bolded above is a good example.  I believe unvaxxed folks are endangering others.  That doesn't mean the owner of said NHL team believes it or believes it to the same extent that I do.
We're pushing massive mandates on that line of thinking, I think we should at least be consistant.  That was my whole issue with the consistency comment.  

If I'm being forced to do something I don't want to to keep my job in the name of public health, I should be able to ask that we at least pretend to take this "public health crisis" seriously.  

Users who are viewing this thread