What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pacific Northwest Heat Dome™️ - check in PNW’ers (1 Viewer)

My house is built in 1950’s no AC…very common in my area AC is in only about 30% of homes or so.

Have a basement we slept in temp was about 75 down there, not too bad. I had an overnight golf trip I just got back from and was completely wiped so slept like a log.

Wife not so much. 

Probably doing a hotel tonight more for the 105 tomorrow - my work space is on main floor and will not be possible to sit there for hours I think. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm visiting my daughters in SF and LA, where the highs today will be 67 and 84. I'm glad the dome didn't make it down there. There's almost no AC in SF, even in newer apts, and limited AC in older buildings in LA. I'm helping my daughter in LA look for a new place. 

I live in Eugene and our upstairs air conditioner stopped working Friday night.  We all slept downstairs last night.  Can't get anyone to come look at it until at least Monday.  My son has a baseball game at noon today so I am bringing an umbrella.

Checking in from just across the Sound from Seattle.  I moved in December, and my first order of business in the new place was getting AC installed.  Felt kinda dumb at the time, since as you mentioned it's not the norm here, but now I'm very happy about it.

My mom and stepfather moved at the same time to a house about a mile away from me, and they did a billion things to their house but didn't include AC.  They'll be spending the next few days at my house.  :(  

Pretty much all of the restaurants near me have closed temporarily since working in a kitchen with no AC in this heat would probably kill everyone.

I saw that Seattle is forecast to reach 112 tomorrow, and the previous high on any day ever is 103.  Unbelievable.  

I live in Eugene and our upstairs air conditioner stopped working Friday night.  We all slept downstairs last night.  Can't get anyone to come look at it until at least Monday.  My son has a baseball game at noon today so I am bringing an umbrella.
Damn. That sucks.

I moved in December, and my first order of business in the new place was getting AC installed.  Felt kinda dumb at the time, since as you mentioned it's not the norm here, but now I'm very happy about it.

My mom and stepfather moved at the same time to a house about a mile away from me, and they did a billion things to their house but didn't include AC.  They'll be spending the next few days at my house.  :(  

Pretty much all of the restaurants near me have closed temporarily since working in a kitchen with no AC in this heat would probably kill everyone.

I saw that Seattle is forecast to reach 112 tomorrow, and the previous high on any day ever is 103.  Unbelievable.  
The position of our house relative to neighbors and the placement of our furnace makes AC install pretty tough but we are going to to do something this fall no matter what.

Grew up in Indiana so always laughed at the summer weather here that is pretty much perfect but the WFH and the fires the last few years where we had to shut windows have made it a thing now.

Enjoy that 68 degree climate controlled goodness!

The position of our house relative to neighbors and the placement of our furnace makes AC install pretty tough but we are going to to do something this fall no matter what.

Grew up in Indiana so always laughed at the summer weather here that is pretty much perfect but the WFH and the fires the last few years where we had to shut windows have made it a thing now.

Enjoy that 68 degree climate controlled goodness!
Yeah, I grew up in Southern Indiana where the heat and humidity is horrible, so I always laughed, too.  Now I've gone soft, though!

Btw, was just reading this interesting article in the NY Times.  Apparently AC ownership here went from 31% in 2013 to 44% in 2019.  Still the lowest of any major metro area in the US (for comparison, SF is at 47% and Portland at 79%), but we're quickly trending upward.  The last few years have been crazy on both ends, with the excessive heat and then the snow in winter.

Yeah, I grew up in Southern Indiana where the heat and humidity is horrible, so I always laughed, too.  Now I've gone soft, though!

Btw, was just reading this interesting article in the NY Times.  Apparently AC ownership here went from 31% in 2013 to 44% in 2019.  Still the lowest of any major metro area in the US (for comparison, SF is at 47% and Portland at 79%), but we're quickly trending upward.  The last few years have been crazy on both ends, with the excessive heat and then the snow in winter.
Bloomington here, 25 years.

That AC number will sky rocket in the next couple years. We dumbly pushed it back. Should have done it last fall after the weeks of smoke.

It’s actually not too bad in the shade right now. But if a breeze, just the temps in the house are unbearable in the evening.

Another former Hoosier here too (for about 25 years)..

Seven years back in the Puget Sound area (where I grew up).

Honestly i don't ever remember it getting to 100 degrees when I lived here from 1967-1990..

I have a Dyson fan and an old box fan that someone gave me a few years ago following me around wherever I go here at home.

Tomorrow I will be travelling in the heat into South Seattle @ high noon.

I'm staying alive.

Bloomington here, 25 years.

That AC number will sky rocket in the next couple years. We dumbly pushed it back. Should have done it last fall after the weeks of smoke.

It’s actually not too bad in the shade right now. But if a breeze, just the temps in the house are unbearable in the evening.
Hope you can get it done, given the configuration issues you mentioned.  These guys are pretty damn good at figuring stuff like that out.  I was impressed with the people who installed mine, as I had some configuration challenges, too.

Another former hoosier here too (for about 25 years)..

Seven years back in the Puget Sound area (where I grew up).

Honestly i don't ever remember it getting to 100 degrees when I lived here from 1967-1990..

I have a Dyson fan and an old box fan that someone gave me a few years ago following me around wherever I go here at home.

Tomorrow I will be travelling in the heat into South Seattle @ high noon.

I'm staying alive.
Three former Hoosiers now in this area on this board!  

It has only hit 100 or more in Seattle three times in recorded history before this wave.  Be careful tomorrow.

Hope you can get it done, given the configuration issues you mentioned.  These guys are pretty damn good at figuring stuff like that out.  I was impressed with the people who installed mine, as I had some configuration challenges, too.

It has only hit 100 or more in Seattle three times in recorded history before this wave.  Be careful tomorrow.
I always suspected you were 

😋

My brother lives in Issaquah where the NWS official forecast has it getting to 117 tomorrow. :o   He said in his 20+ years there he only remembers maybe high 90's or 100 a couple of times.  117!

His 'official' temp readings he keeps sending me is from his grill meat thermometer where it read 102 yesterday on his covered porch.

My brother lives in Issaquah where the NWS official forecast has it getting to 117 tomorrow. :o   He said in his 20+ years there he only remembers maybe high 90's or 100 a couple of times.  117!

His 'official' temp readings he keeps sending me is from his grill meat thermometer where it read 102 yesterday on his covered porch.
Could grill some meat on the sidewalk tomorrow

Maybe today too

Checking in from just across the Sound from Seattle.  I moved in December, and my first order of business in the new place was getting AC installed.  Felt kinda dumb at the time, since as you mentioned it's not the norm here, but now I'm very happy about it.

Central Oregon here, hit 99 yesterday, and will be in the hundreds thru Thursday as of now.  Not really that crazy for the high desert, but usually it would be in August not June.  Really feel for those of you where it's humid.  Much much worse than here. :(

My Mom lives in Eugene and said it nuts.  She’s “lucky” in that her AC went out last year so she’s got a new unit.  Last year when it when down she wasn’t real happy about it but it’s sure paying off now.  

We know Uwe Blob is a Hoosier.

Issaquah your bro could be up on a hill a bit. Lots of newer places up there too so maybe AC situations. 

It is like we here in Colorado switched places with you guys. I saw some stat that we have had more rain than Seattle. Yesterday and today we are at 66 with rain.

Our AC went out last week. We had a repair person coming Friday. They cancelled because they said there was a chance of rain. They aren't setting appointments for this Monday or Tuesday because of the forecast of rain, so the soonest they could fit me in is Wednesday. If it was hot, hot, I would be losing my mind right now. 

Portland forecast is insane.  I know we have some others there...  @General Malaise @urbanhack how are you holding up?  I think @tommyboy is in the area, too.
Yup. Friends in Portland are miserable, places are closed due to heat, and one friend has to go to Eugene tomorrow for an exercise with full tactical gear and non-lethal rounds (he’s a Fed parole officer). No bueno. Supposed to be 111 in Portland proper tomorrow. Ugh. 

Sorry to hear about all that. Insane. What’s causing this? I mean I know what is in the grand scheme, just curious if there is a particular weird weather pattern or front? 

Willamette Valley (Newberg), OR.  A/C hanging in there but definitely getting taxed.  The bigger issue for me has been the new vines we planted last fall.  I spent the last week running 4,000 feet of drip irrigation line to (hopefully) save them.  Between unrolling the constantly kinking hose in 1,000 foot segments, clipping it to the wire thousands of times over, and installing the drip emitters one by one, a truly underrated miserable experience.  But at least we planted in the fall and had the winter rains to build a water base to get them started - those who planted in the spring are in trouble.

FOUR! if you include Portland in the mix!

All good here so far.  My lady's Bday weekend so we drove out to Long Beach (past Astoria) and drove out on the beach and setup a tent for the day. 

I've got a window AC unit for the bedroom and then a fan blowing the residual cool air to the rest of the house. It's working for now, but it's running 18 hours a day right for the next 72 hours. Almost all of the food carts and many restaurants are either closing early or completely closed today and tomorrow.

Portland forecast is insane.  I know we have some others there...  @General Malaise @urbanhack how are you holding up?  I think @tommyboy is in the area, too.
I was going to join GM at his camp site but my lady opted for some privacy since it was her Bday. We'll get her introduced GM and his family soon.  

The biggest struggle so far for me is missing the cool mornings. Most of the time when it's hot here it gets down the high 50s or low 60s overnight. I normally get up early and open up the house and it will stay cool until mid afternoon....but not with this heat wave. The sun is so crazy intense. We actually left the beach early yesterday because the sun was so unrelenting.

Stay safe all.

Sorry to hear about all that. Insane. What’s causing this? I mean I know what is in the grand scheme, just curious if there is a particular weird weather pattern or front? 
A heat dome is effectively what it sounds like—an area of high pressure that parks over a region like a lid on a pot, trapping heat. Research from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) shows they are more likely to form during La Niña years like 2021, when waters are cool in the eastern Pacific and warm in the western Pacific. That temperature difference creates winds that blow dense, tropical, western air eastward. Eventually that warm air gets trapped in the jet stream—a current of air spinning counterclockwise around the globe—and ends up on the U.S. West Coast.

Just got a text from my bro in Vancouver WA where it was 108, fortunately they have a newer home with central air.  Lived in Vancouver and Eugene OR and can't imagine 117.  I've been in Arches when it hit 117 when I was in my twenties and could only walk about 20 feet.

One of my nephews just went back to LA to attend a funeral of his friend's wife.  She died of heat exhaustion on the PCT.  She was experienced, had done it successfully 4 times and started the day in high spirits.  Awfully sad.  You folks seriously take care.

I'm so sorry for everyone having to deal with that sort of heat.  I think of the homeless situation and have to imagine this will turn tragic.  

FOUR! if you include Portland in the mix!

All good here so far.  My lady's Bday weekend so we drove out to Long Beach (past Astoria) and drove out on the beach and setup a tent for the day. 

I've got a window AC unit for the bedroom and then a fan blowing the residual cool air to the rest of the house. It's working for now, but it's running 18 hours a day right for the next 72 hours. Almost all of the food carts and many restaurants are either closing early or completely closed today and tomorrow.
Boilermakers are 

Willamette Valley (Newberg), OR.  A/C hanging in there but definitely getting taxed.  The bigger issue for me has been the new vines we planted last fall.  I spent the last week running 4,000 feet of drip irrigation line to (hopefully) save them.  Between unrolling the constantly kinking hose in 1,000 foot segments, clipping it to the wire thousands of times over, and installing the drip emitters one by one, a truly underrated miserable experience.  But at least we planted in the fall and had the winter rains to build a water base to get them started - those who planted in the spring are in trouble.
Was meaning to ask you. All our wines are in the coolest room in our house but the temp there is mid to upper 70’s going to be that way for a few days. All reds. 

Tell me we are going to be ok here. 

Got a room near South Lake Union. Wind is blowing in a way that it’s coming right off Lake Washington.

Jumped in the lake and sitting outside is perfect. May be calling in sick tomorrow.

Environment Canada is warning that 45 of the province’s 57 weather regions are experiencing a “dangerous, long-duration” heat wave.

The temperature for Metro Vancouver is expected to range from 33 to 42 degrees, and only drop down to 18 to 21 degrees overnight.

Regions such as the Okanagan Valley, Shuswap, Nicola Valley and the Kootenays, among several other Interior regions, are in for even higher temperatures. The daytime highs in these areas are expected to range from 40 to 46 degrees and continue through to Wednesday or Thursday.

i hate the heat so avoiding going out for any reason and staying in front of the ac 
i cancelled all my planned hikes for the week and have been watching stories of hikers being rescued from heat exhaustion 

Environment Canada is warning that 45 of the province’s 57 weather regions are experiencing a “dangerous, long-duration” heat wave.

The temperature for Metro Vancouver is expected to range from 33 to 42 degrees, and only drop down to 18 to 21 degrees overnight.

Regions such as the Okanagan Valley, Shuswap, Nicola Valley and the Kootenays, among several other Interior regions, are in for even higher temperatures. The daytime highs in these areas are expected to range from 40 to 46 degrees and continue through to Wednesday or Thursday.

i hate the heat so avoiding going out for any reason and staying in front of the ac 
i cancelled all my planned hikes for the week and have been watching stories of hikers being rescued from heat exhaustion 

Stay safe up there. 

Boilermakers are 

Was meaning to ask you. All our wines are in the coolest room in our house but the temp there is mid to upper 70’s going to be that way for a few days. All reds. 

First world problems..

😋

You'll be fine - mid to upper 70s is the upper range of temps that I ideally ship in, so a few days up there is no problem.  Even in the low 80s for a few days would be OK.  Beyond that, time to get a wine fridge!  😉

Just moved to Eugene, got into our house last weekend. Luckily the AC works well, and I bought a portable unit for my shed/office. 

Went to the Olympic Trials at Hayward yesterday, sat in my ticketed seats on the east side of the stadium in full sun at 103 degrees for about 5 minutes before I joined everyone else sitting over on the shady side. Going to be 108 or so for today’s events. 

Today was only 110 after a forecast of 115. That’s good news right? 

Also it looks like tomorrow night should see a return of cooler night temps. At least a little bit more normal. 

To beat the Boise heat, I went to Vegas.  Will be back Tuesday and will be in the pool 99 percent of the time.  

We’re California transplants to Portland and my wife has been asking to get a pool. I said nothing would label us as typical Cali transplants more than getting a pool in Portland, but now I’m thinking again. 

Users who are viewing this thread