What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pacific Northwest Heat Dome™️ - check in PNW’ers (1 Viewer)

In Western Canada and we were reaching the mid 90s all last week. Supposed to exceed 100 Monday to Thursday this week. My youngest son had 2 hr high school football practices all last week and they continue this week. It is going to be rough for him.

My wife and I have not left Utah on vacation  for 21 months due to constant work and the pandemic. 

We decided to celebrate our 29th anniversary with a 5 day get away to the Oregon coast where I spent all my summer vacations while growing up in Seattle (where, BTW, I also recall no days over 100 between 1967 and 1993). 

We left a pleasant 80 degree Utah morning to arrive in a 97 degree Cannon Beach afternoon in a hotel with no AC 🤣

It’s gorgeous here but tonight may be a bit uncomfortable. 🥵 Luckily, looks like the rest of the week will not be so warm here. 

Stay well and cool PNW’ers. 

We’re California transplants to Portland and my wife has been asking to get a pool. I said nothing would label us as typical Cali transplants more than getting a pool in Portland, but now I’m thinking again. 
If it’s anything like the area around me, good luck. If you want a pool put in in the Philly/South Jersey area, you’re looking at a year plus before they can get to you. And it’s like double the price that it was a year ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying to pimp my company but for those having to deal with this, we rent small spot coolers that are 115v so plug into a regular wall outlet if you have the need to augment or replace your AC that is going to be struggling. In an effort of transparency, our competition, United Rentals and Herc all rent the same type of equipment so if you need it, it's out there. Some folks don't think about temporary AC during these situations. Good luck all, stay hydrated!

https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/items/1846/1-1-5-ton-spot-cooler/

https://www.unitedrentals.com/marketplace/equipment/power-hvac/air-conditioners#/

https://www.hercrentals.com/us/calendar/portable-cooling.html

It is like we here in Colorado switched places with you guys. I saw some stat that we have had more rain than Seattle. Yesterday and today we are at 66 with rain.

Our AC went out last week. We had a repair person coming Friday. They cancelled because they said there was a chance of rain. They aren't setting appointments for this Monday or Tuesday because of the forecast of rain, so the soonest they could fit me in is Wednesday. If it was hot, hot, I would be losing my mind right now. 
No 90s forecast until after the 4th. As someone who works outside I'll take it even though the high 80s with Sun is still hot.

yesterday 

Lytton, B.C. just broke the record for hottest temperature ever recorded in Canada

On Sunday, Lytton, B.C. became the first location in Canada ever to record a temperature over 45 degrees Celsius, registering at least 46.1 degrees, according to Environment Canada.

That's the hottest temperature ever recorded in the country, the weather agency said in a tweet Sunday. The previous record was set on July 5, 1937, in Saskatchewan.

today 
A heat warning is in effect for the entire region with daytime highs expected to fall between 38-44 C

Vancouver will shatter the city’s record high of 27.5 C for June 28 set in 1995.

all the schools closed today due to extreme hear 

Predicted high for my town today went down from 105 to "only" 100.  My mom and her husband left here last night and decided to try to stick out today at their (non-AC) place.  As of noon, she said they're doing fine.  I wish they'd just come over here.

The General said:
How’s everyone surviving heat dome 2020.

It’s pretty warm out there!
Took the family camping on the Kilchis River this weekend (near Tillamook).  It was 95ish when we left home and 75 an hour and half later setting up camp.  NICE!  But yesterday was our reckoning.  I took the kids to play disc golf in the morning and the course was a big field with no shade.  We made it two holes before my daughter threw a disc that hit my son in the head and he retaliated by hitting her in the back.  All in front of the Tillamook High Softball team, that was warming up next to us.  Neat kids.  

It was 90 when we left Tillamook - it's almost NEVER 90 on the coast.  Limped back home and watched the temp gauge steadily climb to the 111 it was when I pulled into the driveway.  I carried the doggo inside so he didn't hurt his puppy paws.  On the drive back from the coast, every single inch of space where you could pull over and park was occupied so folks could hike down to the Wilson River.  Cars were double parked.  It was nuts! 

I don't know who the inventor of central air is or was, but that human needs a national holiday in recognition of their crowning achievement.  Schools should be teaching kids about that person like they do Edison or Franklin or the guy who invented raisins.  

Took the family camping on the Kilchis River this weekend (near Tillamook).  It was 95ish when we left home and 75 an hour and half later setting up camp.  NICE!  But yesterday was our reckoning.  I took the kids to play disc golf in the morning and the course was a big field with no shade.  We made it two holes before my daughter threw a disc that hit my son in the head and he retaliated by hitting her in the back.  All in front of the Tillamook High Softball team, that was warming up next to us.  Neat kids.  

It was 90 when we left Tillamook - it's almost NEVER 90 on the coast.  Limped back home and watched the temp gauge steadily climb to the 111 it was when I pulled into the driveway.  I carried the doggo inside so he didn't hurt his puppy paws.  On the drive back from the coast, every single inch of space where you could pull over and park was occupied so folks could hike down to the Wilson River.  Cars were double parked.  It was nuts! 

I don't know who the inventor of central air is or was, but that human needs a national holiday in recognition of their crowning achievement.  Schools should be teaching kids about that person like they do Edison or Franklin or the guy who invented raisins.  
Great area out there, love the OR coast. 

The wife and I checked into a hotel right on Lake Union. Have gone swimming once today and the lake surface is noticeably warmer than it was just yesterday, will prolly go again this afternoon. Got the latest possible checkout and then back to the sauna like house, shoulda sprung for another night but was being cheap.

Today’s the day to get through them back to normal warm but manageable stuff

Be safe down there. 

My brother lives in Issaquah where the NWS official forecast has it getting to 117 tomorrow. :o   He said in his 20+ years there he only remembers maybe high 90's or 100 a couple of times.  117!

His 'official' temp readings he keeps sending me is from his grill meat thermometer where it read 102 yesterday on his covered porch.
Fun little fact:  The lead singer of Train lives in Issaquah.  :bowtie:

Maybe your brother can go over there and kick him in the taint for me?

Willamette Valley (Newberg), OR.  A/C hanging in there but definitely getting taxed.  The bigger issue for me has been the new vines we planted last fall.  I spent the last week running 4,000 feet of drip irrigation line to (hopefully) save them.  Between unrolling the constantly kinking hose in 1,000 foot segments, clipping it to the wire thousands of times over, and installing the drip emitters one by one, a truly underrated miserable experience.  But at least we planted in the fall and had the winter rains to build a water base to get them started - those who planted in the spring are in trouble.
Do you guys ever grow raisins?

Fun little fact:  The lead singer of Train lives in Issaquah.  :bowtie:

Maybe your brother can go over there and kick him in the taint for me?
I did not know that! I most certainly will. I only knew of the lead singer of 90s band the Presidents of the United States who does kids music now (Casper BabyPants!) and we were there for a little kids concert last time we were out there.

”Hey, Soul Sister” 

“What?”

:neckpunch:

I did not know that! I most certainly will. I only knew of the lead singer of 90s band the Presidents of the United States who does kids music now (Casper BabyPants!) and we were there for a little kids concert last time we were out there.

”Hey, Soul Sister” 

“What?”

How about you play *THIS* Mister, Fister.  :KICK:

Just moved to Eugene, got into our house last weekend. Luckily the AC works well, and I bought a portable unit for my shed/office. 

Went to the Olympic Trials at Hayward yesterday, sat in my ticketed seats on the east side of the stadium in full sun at 103 degrees for about 5 minutes before I joined everyone else sitting over on the shady side. Going to be 108 or so for today’s events. 

That stadium is bananas!  How about that giant torch!  So cool. 

That stadium is bananas!  How about that giant torch!  So cool. 
Yeah it was cool to finally get in there, after having seen it during construction a few times and then walking around it a bunch for the last year or so.  Already planning on where I want my track and field season tickets seats to be.  

I doubt there will be too many more 111 degree days in that stadium!

This year that's a distinct possibility!  You gotta come visit one of these days.  I hosted Instinctive and his crew last month - he can confirm we exist.
We moved into our home in Eugene 8 days ago, so finally getting settled.  Once the cardboard boxes are down to a minimum we're looking forward to exploring  - we'll hit you up!

”Hey, Soul Sister” 

“What?”

Thinking that Modest Mouse started in Issaquah also.

Predicted high for my town today went down from 105 to "only" 100.  My mom and her husband left here last night and decided to try to stick out today at their (non-AC) place.  As of noon, she said they're doing fine.  I wish they'd just come over here.
I checked in with them at 3 to make sure all was still well, and they said they were driving around with their cats to get cooler.  They relented into coming here, so for 6-7 hours they and their cats cooled in my house, having just left.  Hopefully they will be comfy enough the rest of the night, and the worst is over.

My house hasn't cooled to less than 75 today despite being set at 72, but I am thankful for the 75!

I checked in with them at 3 to make sure all was still well, and they said they were driving around with their cats to get cooler.  They relented into coming here, so for 6-7 hours they and their cats cooled in my house, having just left.  Hopefully they will be comfy enough the rest of the night, and the worst is over.

My house hasn't cooled to less than 75 today despite being set at 72, but I am thankful for the 75!
AND you had extra cats in your house!!   What a win for the day!

:lmao:   They were upstairs by themselves, since the others wouldn't have been too happy with them.  But still...score!
Mostly just glad you are all ok.  Can’t imagine 100+ degrees without central air.   Although I can imagine 95 without it......based on early childhood years.  Not fun.

A little known fact about air conditioning:

When they design houses for air conditioning, most design parameters call for either a 20 or 25 degree differential. Meaning, that your air conditioner should be able to hit your set point when the outdoor temperature is 20 or 25 degrees HOTTER than your set temperature.  In some parts of the country they may use a design temp of a 30 degree differential.

So for example, in your case if you have it set at 72, you can expect your air conditioner to hit 72 when the outdoor temp is either 92 or 97 (depends on how your house was designed).

So the fact that you hit 75 during temps over 100 is pretty darn good. 

Users who are viewing this thread