What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Subaru Legacy? (1 Viewer)

GroveDiesel

Footballguy
Anyone have/had a Subaru Legacy?

I was driving a 2003 Camry with 270,000 miles on it. Didn’t look pretty but still ran great and had a ton of room. Unfortunately, some guy decided to cut off a tractor trailer, got hit, and took me out in the process. So it’s time for a new (to me) car. 

The company I work for has our fleet of company vehicles managed by Enterprise. There is a 2018 Subaru Legacy with 70,000 miles on it available that is off lease now for $17.5k which seem like a pretty decent deal. Anyone have experience with a Legacy? 

In laws have one. It feels flimsy and nothing like an Outback or Forester in terms of quality. 

My son has one. I think it's a 2017. He's happy with it. I had an Altima (4 cylinder) from that year and I think the Legacy has a little more pep.

My 2013 Outback consumed a lot of oil.  It earned me a new "short block" (new engine inside the valves) on warranty after 75k miles.  I got the sense that efforts to meet high demand by Subaru really drove down the quality.  Had lots of small electrical issues, too.  Too many burnt out bulbs before LEDs were prevalent.   But it was a good drive and very reliable in bad New England weather.  

Not first hand knowledge, but I have a friend that owns a transmission shop. Several years ago, he told me to avoid Subaru’s because of transmission issues. 

Bought my D a 2017 last year mainly for the safety features . I end up using it once or twice a week , solid car

The newer models rate very high on Consumer Reports, that was not the case say 10-15 years ago, Subaru doesn't really make a bad car and AWD is standard in all of their vehicles. 

I would ask this however...why not get a brand new Crosstrek or Forrester, maybe not the top of the line but you can get anew one for well under $30,000 if you are not too picky and you have a Subaru with ZERO miles on it, when you pay it off in 3-4-5 years you have a car that is likely worth at least over half of what you pay, if you trade it in your cost of ownership at that moment in time is significantly less than many many other makes and models of cars out there, I would absolutely get a Subaru but I would invest a little more up front knowing I am going to recoup it later on. Or keep the thing for 10-15 years and get 275.000 miles on it, will pay for itself twice over. 

Cheers!

Beef Ravioli said:
Not first hand knowledge, but I have a friend that owns a transmission shop. Several years ago, he told me to avoid Subaru’s because of transmission issues. 
I've actually heard this as well.  A buddy of mine who used to swear by Subarus was in the market for a new ride about a year ago, and his extensive research resulted in this revelation.  He switched to Kia, FWIW.

I've had both a 2014 Legacy and currently have a 2016 Outback.   The previous comment in feeling a difference between the two is bang on.  
I enjoyed the Legacy, but really like the Outback.   I bought both used and have had no issues that wouldn't fall under normal maintenance.   

The transmission that Subaru uses in their 4cyl is a CVT, the transmission in their 3.6 (? - can't remember if that is the right number off the top of my head) is not a CVT.  

Also don't disagree with the previous comment that KIA is a brand to look into, they are making some nice cars now and reviews have been encouraging. 

Additionally, edmunds.com usually has pretty detailed reviews that can help when looking at vehicles.  Both written by the site, or current/past owners. 

I have a 2015 Legacy that was lightly used when I bought it, and have had no issues aside from having to replace the battery.

I like that everything is set up exactly the same as my wife’s ‘17 Outback. She has the eyesight system, mine is a little lower to the ground and has the 6-cylinder engine.

No complaints with either one so far.

Edit: Should note my wife got hers first after having a Camry for about a dozen years (300K+ miles). I made the switch after more than 20 years of VW Jettas.

Last edited by a moderator:
We just bought a new '21 Outback a few weeks ago. We took bids from 5 surrounding dealerships. Be forewarned, there is very little new inventory. Negotiations are tougher. And the salesmen seemed pretty worried about having inventory going forward to meet the demand. No chips for the computers.

We just bought a new '21 Outback a few weeks ago. We took bids from 5 surrounding dealerships. Be forewarned, there is very little new inventory. Negotiations are tougher. And the salesmen seemed pretty worried about having inventory going forward to meet the demand. No chips for the computers.
Even without supply chain issues, Outbacks don’t last very long on lots. 

I bought a new wrx recently and got mine for invoice price. I had no problem negotiating multiple dealerships down to invoice with no dealer fees.

There were plenty of Subaru's on the lot as well. I know subaru has been effected by the chip shortage, but they have not been effected as much by the excess demand that is effecting the truck/SUV market.

The reason I was negotiating with multiple dealerships is because I could not decide between the STI or the base model and I wanted a blue car.  In the end I got the base wrx.

I bet you can still get a new legacy out the door at a reasonable price.

I bought a new wrx recently and got mine for invoice price. I had no problem negotiating multiple dealerships down to invoice with no dealer fees.

There were plenty of Subaru's on the lot as well. I know subaru has been effected by the chip shortage, but they have not been effected as much by the excess demand that is effecting the truck/SUV market.

The reason I was negotiating with multiple dealerships is because I could not decide between the STI or the base model and I wanted a blue car.  In the end I got the base wrx.

I bet you can still get a new legacy out the door at a reasonable price.
I have a 2006 WRX, which I’m hoping to drive until autonomous vehicles make car ownership obsolete.

At a little over 100K miles, so far, so good.

I have a 2006 WRX, which I’m hoping to drive until autonomous vehicles make car ownership obsolete.

At a little over 100K miles, so far, so good.
I think that is still a decade+ away, although Hawaii may be one of the places it can be implemented quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread