What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you approve of kneeling at sports games? (2 Viewers)

Values of Honor

Footballguy
5 years after Colin Kaepernick's kneeling crusade, do you approve or disapprove. It has spread globally now, with the England and Germany men's national football teams kneeling to protest global racism and inequalities....

Do you approve or do you disagree?

In the specific context of American athletes kneeling or generally making a spectacle of themselves during the American national anthem, I disapprove.  "Disapprove" means "I wouldn't do this, and I think a little less of people who do" not "this should be punished."  People should be free to do whatever they want during the anthem, and I'm free to update my priors accordingly.

I don't care what soccer players do before games.

I'm not a fan and think the media likes to make it a big deal...Like anything else.  They like to divide.

If a kneeling player wasn't shown on TV,  there would be less of an issue.

However all...I would say not a fan but also fine to let that one fly.

5 years after Colin Kaepernick's kneeling crusade, do you approve or disapprove. It has spread globally now, with the England and Germany men's national football teams kneeling to protest global racism and inequalities....

Do you approve or do you disagree?
Fine with it unless it is done during the National Anthem, then it is unpatriotic and awful.

Only disapprove because I associate the anthem, right or wrong I suppose, with the military and the kneeling was because of treatment by the police.  Seemed like walking out of history class because you were mad at your math teacher.   And even then disapprove means “find it odd” more so than “makes me mad”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Approve. 

I wish they'd do away with the national anthem before sporting events unless the teams are specifically representing countries.  The great thing about this country and those mentioned in the OP is that the protestors have the right to do it without fear for their lives.  It's a non-violent method of protest, and I'd say it's fairly effective because it makes people uncomfortable.

Yeah it bugs me when millionaire athletes bring politics into sports but not enough for me to boycott the sport or hate the athlete.

What the Olympic hammer thrower pisses me off because in her case she is SUPPOSED to be representing America. If she doesnt like it she shouldnt be competing for us.

Approve. 

I wish they'd do away with the national anthem before sporting events. 
Me too.   I like the patriotism of it but if people are going to go nuts when someone is kneeling, has a hat on, or doesn't stand with their hand over their heart just get rid of it entirely.   

Sports are just a form of entertainment and we don't play the national anthem at Broadway plays, concerts or in movie theaters I see no compelling reason to do it for sporting events.   It would be a PR nightmare if a professional sports league would eliminate it though so it is here to stay but I think they should consider doing it before players are on the field.

Yeah it bugs me when millionaire athletes bring politics into sports but not enough for me to boycott the sport or hate the athlete.

What the Olympic hammer thrower pisses me off because in her case she is SUPPOSED to be representing America. If she doesnt like it she shouldnt be competing for us.
:goodposting:      100% agree.     

I'm not a fan but I understand it.  I'm more opposed to the faux pomp and circumstance of Pledge the Flag at sporting events in general.  No idea why anyone things those things belong injected into sports.  I find it wholly ridiculous personally.  It's always amusing for me to watch people complain about politics being injected into sports when the only reason there's an opportunity to inject politics into sports is because politics was injected into sports :loco:

Hoh said:
Only disapprove because I associate the anthem, right or wrong I suppose, with the military and the kneeling was because of treatment by the police.  Seemed like walking out of history class because you were mad at your math teacher.   And even then disapprove means “find it odd” than “makes me mad”.
I think you bring up a good point.  The anthem can mean many different things to many different people.  I have never associated it with the military, and never knew how many did until the Kaepernick protest. 

I personally think it's a little short-sighted to only associate the anthem/flag with the military.  The anthem to me represents our country's past, present and future through the good, the bad and the ugly.  Sure the military plays a role in that, but our country is so much more than that.  We have been a land of opportunity for generations, have some of the most awe-inspiring natural beauty, and have provided a road map for what freedom should look like to the rest of the industrialized world.  We have had our share of atrocities committed, and it's pretty clear today that the justice system is not the same for everyone.  I love this country and what it represents even though I think we have lots of room for improvement, but I also find worshiping the flag/anthem to be a little weird.  

Me too.   I like the patriotism of it but if people are going to go nuts when someone is kneeling, has a hat on, or doesn't stand with their hand over their heart just get rid of it entirely.   

Sports are just a form of entertainment and we don't play the national anthem at Broadway plays, concerts or in movie theaters I see no compelling reason to do it for sporting events.   It would be a PR nightmare if a professional sports league would eliminate it though so it is here to stay but I think they should consider doing it before players are on the field.
I grew up living on military bases. On one of the bases where we lived, they had a small movie theater. Before the showing of every movie, they would play the national anthem (like a movie preview) and we would stand in the theater. I agree with you that if that were to be implemented in every theater across the U.S. tomorrow, people would think it was weird and out of place.

On the contrary, we live in a free country and that's why all of our opinions matter: yours, mine, and the athlete's.  All three of these folks should be treated symmetrically.  
We are all free to have opinions, informed or not, about anything. That is not mutually exclusive with it mattering though.

I think its pathetic but I 100% support them - they can roll around and bark like a dog if they want to during the anthem

Now, in return, I want them to 100% support me not watching them/supporting them and calling it how I believe it. I think that's fair.

Freedom to peacefully protest.  It's what separates us from say North Korea.

I'm more concerned with the intentions of some of those who protest.  It's one thing to protest for change in a positive direction.  It's another to protest the very foundation our country with the intention to blow up our constitution.

A lot of bad things happened in the shaping of this country.......a lot of bad things happened in the shaping of every country.  We are not there anymore.......let's talk about continuing to make things better, not how we are inherently racist and we need to tear it all down and start over.  That line of thinking will only create more divide.

I don't approve - meaning I believe at this point it has clearly shown to be a self defeating/ineffective tactic.  I disapprove of the lack of learning from past mistakes.

I disapprove but am not outraged.

I think players should have a general code of conduct outside of games, but this should have wide berth...players who have viewpoints that are not woke are probably most at risk. 

I strongly approve of players right and desire to voice their opinions and advocate for the causes important to them on the many powerful platforms their participation in sport allows them to have access to...outside of the confines of the game itself.

I think owners should be allowed to fight to forbid any form of protest during games.

I think players should be allowed to fight to have the right to protest during games if they want.

I think the two parties are responsible for figuring this out and I'm sure they'll come to a conclusion that is most viable for both of their primary interests...their own pocketbooks.  Based on the terms of this agreement...that constitutes the players/owners rights and obligations.

I think every US citizen has a right to have an opinion on this without other citizens criticizing them for their opinion not being complementary of the fashion in which athletes decide to exercise their rights.

I am not a fan but it wouldn’t make me boycott any sporting event. Although it is much better than beating a police officer with a flag or referring to that action as a peaceful protest. 

IvanKaramazov said:
In the specific context of American athletes kneeling or generally making a spectacle of themselves during the American national anthem, I disapprove.  "Disapprove" means "I wouldn't do this, and I think a little less of people who do" not "this should be punished."  People should be free to do whatever they want during the anthem, and I'm free to update my priors accordingly.

I don't care what soccer players do before games.
This, more or less. I'll add not caring what soccer players do during games as well.

Disapprove. Besides the poor look of it there is no clear goal and it has not been successful in meaningful change.  Even CK didn’t know what he was doing initially when he got benched for Blaine Gabbert and pouted. He lucked into Nike exploiting him for profit, that’s about it. It’s a very poor look and never ends with a positive result, only more division. Be better. 

We are all free to have opinions, informed or not, about anything. That is not mutually exclusive with it mattering though.
Our opinions do matter because they drive our decisions.   If enough people become fed up with misguided and spoiled athletes and decide to quit attending games and purchasing licensed apparel, it will matter to the NFL, NBA, etc.

I think its pathetic but I 100% support them - they can roll around and bark like a dog if they want to during the anthem

Now, in return, I want them to 100% support me not watching them/supporting them and calling it how I believe it. I think that's fair.
I think they are cool with that

Don't care. They're free to do it. The fans are also free to boo them if they like. 
This is my usual stance but it just bugs me that someone would seek out to be a member of the US team and then be offended when they display the flag or play the anthem.  If those symbols bother you then why would you want to be on the team?

This is my usual stance but it just bugs me that someone would seek out to be a member of the US team and then be offended when they display the flag or play the anthem.  If those symbols bother you then why would you want to be on the team?
changing teams has some hurdles.

I only watch sports to be entertained for a period of time.  So I really don`t care what players do before or after games.  Kneeling is actually a submissive act seems more respectful than standing anyway. So let them do what they want.

Disapprove, but mainly b/c I dont find any action like kneeling, wearing a shirt, writing on their cleats or any passive "bringing attention to" act effective. 

If you are a professional athlete, you have money and fame to actually do something about whatever you are "bringing attention to." Put your money and actions where your knee is and provide funds and actual effort to your cause. Anyone can virtue signal and then expect others to do the actual hard work. I'm not saying athletes may or may not contribute or donate, but I find it (especially now after kneeling has become sort of main stream) an easy way to make a little spectacle of yourself and then go back to your mansion to look at your Bentley collection. 

But I also find the narrative hollow, painting America as this evil, racist country. Are we perfect, no? But in a nation of billions of people, it is impossible for everyone to be perfect, and be successful. But there you are, getting paid millions to catch/throw/run/punt a ball. If America was so horrible and racist, wouldn't we be watching some ginger named Bernie play your position. Take your knelling to North Korea or Saudi Arabia and do it during their anthems or prayer time and see what attention it gets you. 

I actually agree.  She's actually representing the United States.  In pro sorts, personally, I think they shouldn't even play the anthem.  It has nothing to do with the sport.  You want politics and sports to be separate, stop playing the anthem.

But the Olympics is different.  By it's nature, politics has always been involved so the anthem is gonna be played.  I actually wouldn't have a problem is she had taken a knee.  Turning her back on the flag, in an Olympic sport?  Yeah, I don't think so.

And I am somebody who totally agrees with what she is protesting.  But in this case, not the way she's doing it and the stage she's doing it on

This.

It's one thing when you're in America competing amongst your country men.  

You're on an international stage representing America.  And you feel the need to tell everyone how awful the country is?  Boycott it by not going to the olympics.  That would make a point.  Heck, boycott it by taking a knee during your event and refusing to throw.  

People always say it isn't about the flag or the anthem.  But, to some extent--it is.  You're looking for something to tie your act to the country.  You could easily get a metric crap ton of attention by taking a knee mid race, or dropping your hammer or whatever.  There are a lot of ways to do this without doing it during the anthem/pledge/while the flag is out/etc.

And wouldn't skipping the olympics in protest be a way more powerful symbolic gesture?

Users who are viewing this thread