What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump Organization and CFO Allen Weisselberg Expected to Be Charged Thursday (1 Viewer)

Does Allen roll over on Donald?
He has apparently resisted efforts to cooperate. 

Will be interesting to read the indictment. It apparently involves tax avoidance on fringe benefits, which sounds pretty pedestrian. But the WSJ is talking about the Trump Org paying for apartments and cars and private school tuition and treating the payments as gifts rather than taxable compensation. If that’s the case, that’s pretty brazen stuff. Neither Trump nor any of the Trump family will be charged. This is about improper payments by the company to certain Trump Org executives. 

Will be interesting to read the indictment. It apparently involves tax avoidance on fringe benefits, which sounds pretty pedestrian. But the WSJ is talking about the Trump Org paying for apartments and cars and private school tuition and treating the payments as gifts rather than taxable compensation. If that’s the case, that’s pretty brazen stuff. Neither Trump nor any of the Trump family will be charged. This is about improper payments by the company to certain Trump Org executives. 
Great synopsis, thanks. From the bit I've read about the case, it seems to center around compensation that went untaxed because the compensation was provided in the form of rent payments, school tuition for Weisselberg's kids, etc. that were outside of traditional salary or bonuses.

So to a layman like me, is it that big of a deal? Not really, no. Not going to sit here and pretend to be outraged, this probably happens all the time, it just happens to be the Trump Org, whatever. This stuff also goes back to well before 2016 IIRC. 

Our company gives us a $50 gift card for Walmart for xmas and tax us on it...

Does Allen roll over on Donald?
For what?  Like bigbottom says:

Donald gives and gives.  He can't go around making sure everyone pays their taxes for them.

For what?  Like bigbottom says:

Donald gives and gives.  He can't go around making sure everyone pays their taxes for them.
That’s not really how it works. The Company has the obligation to report the payments and withhold taxes on them. The company is reportedly being charged in addition to the CFO. But yes, Donald does not appear to be implicated in the forthcoming indictment. 

Great synopsis, thanks. From the bit I've read about the case, it seems to center around compensation that went untaxed because the compensation was provided in the form of rent payments, school tuition for Weisselberg's kids, etc. that were outside of traditional salary or bonuses.

So to a layman like me, is it that big of a deal? Not really, no. Not going to sit here and pretend to be outraged, this probably happens all the time, it just happens to be the Trump Org, whatever. This stuff also goes back to well before 2016 IIRC. 
I actually don’t think this happens all the time, at least not for sophisticated businesses. 

That’s not really how it works. The Company has the obligation to report the payments and withhold taxes on them. The company is reportedly being charged in addition to the CFO. But yes, Donald does not appear to be implicated in the forthcoming indictment. 
Whew, that was a close one!

I think you mean French benefits, GB. 

;)

Fun Fact:  Dave Kingman is 21st on the all time list with 1816 Ks.  Reggie Jackson leads the way with 2597 punchouts.  :bowtie:
Good stat…..Reggie had a good number of highs/successes in his career though so I didn’t think it was the right comparison here. 

Fun Fact:  Dave Kingman is 21st on the all time list with 1816 Ks.  Reggie Jackson leads the way with 2597 punchouts.  :bowtie:
I loved watching Dave Kingman at the plate as a kid. Loved it when the Cubs came to Dodger Stadium, we had season tickets for a few years. 

Yeah Dave took a lot of whiffs but when he got hold of one…that was something. 

Good stat…..Reggie had a good number of highs/successes in his career though so I didn’t think it was the right comparison here. 
You should use Adam Dunn.  That dude struck out 35.5% of the time.  

Reggie struck out 26% of the time vs. Kingman's 27%.  Disciplined vs Dunn.

You want an embarrassing K-rate, look into my dating life. 

Purposely and knowingly cheating the government out of millions in taxes seems like a pretty big deal.  

ETA It should be the far right who is outraged by this because "people not paying their fair share" is a top 5 gripe. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Surrendered this morning. 

Indictment to be unsealed later today. 

In the overall scheme of things, I think this will end up being very minor, and used by Trump to further his martyr syndrome. A lot of his supporters will see this as proof that the Left is simply out to get Trump and this is politically motivated. 

In the overall scheme of things, I think this will end up being very minor, and used by Trump to further his martyr syndrome. A lot of his supporters will see this as proof that the Left is simply out to get Trump and this is politically motivated. 
This is correct, but irrelevant, in my opinion.  If the organization cheated on its taxes then it should be punished appropriately, whether Trump himself was involved or not.  That said, the martyr syndrome doesn't matter either, as the people who see it that way are so dug in on "Trump good, libs bad" that additional "proof" moves them from 100% convinced to 100% convinced, and nothing will change their minds anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it will turn out differently this time.  :shrug: It

:lmao:  Its like watching Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.  
It's almost like waiting for the Kraken to be released, surprised both sides get stuck in this trap...

Apparently, the tuition paid by the Trump Org to Weisselberg was for his grandchildren’s school.  It’s not a good look that Weisselberg is effectively being paid under the table by the organization for which he serves as CFO.

If the organization cheated on its taxes then it should be punished appropriately,
I’m fine with that, but this feels like it could have been settled with a fine and payment of back taxes. By both the CFO and Trump org. :shrug:

I guess we will see if it’s more serious when the indictment is unsealed later. 

What trap? Trump is not named in the indictment. That was clear from the first post in the thread.
He is not, but from what I’m reading this sure looks like chapter one. A parallel was offered between this case and Enron, in which the company and CFO was indicted first, which then caused the CFO to flip against Ken Lay. 

Which basically means: if Weisselberg is facing significant jail time, will he stay loyal to Trump? 

Users who are viewing this thread