What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Given New Rules . . . Perfect Game? No Hitter? Neither? (1 Viewer)

Anarchy99

Footballguy
The home team pitcher goes all nine innings without allowing a base runner but heads into extra innings a scoreless tie. 

For starters, the visiting team gets a runner on second to start the 10th inning automatically. Sacrifice, sacrifice fly for a run, strikeout ends the inning. Home team does not score and loses 1-0. 

Would this count as a perfect game (no batter reached base safely), a no hitter (no hits were allowed), or neither (as the team did not win the game)?

I think pitchers have “lost” no-hitters before, so in my book it’s still at least that, no question. Pitcher went a complete nine+ inning game and did not allow a hit.

No batter reached base safely and if the scoring aspect is not specifically mentioned, just tacitly implied, then my vote is it’s  a perfect game too, even if the name doesn’t really fit.

There needs to be a better name for it. A perfect game should be 81 pitches, 81 strikes, 27 up, 27 down, no hits, no errors, etc. etc., nobody even puts a ball in play.

Ed Whitson pitched a no-hitter vs the White Sox and lost 4-0.
Harvey Haddix of the Pittsburgh Pirates pitched 12 perfect innings but lost 1-0 in the 13th inning.  

No perfect game, not a no hitter, no shutout and lost the game.   Still one of the greatest pitched games in MLB history though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Godsbrother said:
Harvey Haddix of the Pittsburgh Pirates pitched 12 perfect innings but lost 1-0 in the 13th inning.  

No perfect game, not a no hitter, no shutout and lost the game.   Still one of the greatest pitched games in MLB history though...
What a great lineup he faced also.  

Users who are viewing this thread