What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is there luck in being a professional hockey player? (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
The answer is yes and a youtube provider will tell you why.   

The simple data is you are 3x more likely to be a professional player if your birthday was in the first quarter of a year.

Because of the way they do youth honkey.

They go by birth year so a kid born in January can go up against a kid almost a year younger who was born in December. At 8-12 years old, that could be huge. 

Eta: @Polsonov. hey

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to tell my wife to hold out until January. She couldn’t do it. So selfish

so now I have a kid with a November 19th birthday. The true definition of what youth hockey is all about. 

got cut from his mite team he played on for 3 years. Played on a Squirt B team his squirt minor year. He was then selected to a tier 1 AAA team his squirt major year. Only problem was that he was an overage player on that team and could only play with them for a year. Had an awesome year. 50 points and the best coach you can possible ask for. 

Last year was pee wee minor. It was almost impossible to find a team because of Covid. We got lucky. Based on a recommendation from Coach Awesome, he landed a spot on another tier 1 team. The team was not very good, but can’t say anything bad. They took him site unseen. They wanted him back this year. 

Im not sure he is a tier 1 player. So we decided to go AA this season. He had a tryout with a pretty decent team and he made it. 

long story short, he got cut from his team at 7 years old because he wasn’t big or developed enough bc he is a November baby

and my wife is selfish. 

I tried to tell my wife to hold out until January. She couldn’t do it. So selfish

so now I have a kid with a November 19th birthday. The true definition of what youth hockey is all about. 

got cut from his mite team he played on for 3 years. Played on a Squirt B team his squirt minor year. He was then selected to a tier 1 AAA team his squirt major year. Only problem was that he was an overage player on that team and could only play with them for a year. Had an awesome year. 50 points and the best coach you can possible ask for. 

Last year was pee wee minor. It was almost impossible to find a team because of Covid. We got lucky. Based on a recommendation from Coach Awesome, he landed a spot on another tier 1 team. The team was not very good, but can’t say anything bad. They took him site unseen. They wanted him back this year. 

Im not sure he is a tier 1 player. So we decided to go AA this season. He had a tryout with a pretty decent team and he made it. 

long story short, he got cut from his team at 7 years old because he wasn’t big or developed enough bc he is a November baby

and my wife is selfish. 
Maybe you should have held out 2 months longer ;)

They go by birth year so a kid born in January can go up against a kid almost a year younger who was born in December. At 8-12 years old, that could be huge. 

While true…there are a bunch programs that know of this bias and intentionally select against it up until 14U.  Of course that could just be programs wanting my money.  I have an ‘11 squirt with an Oct birthdate who is tiny.  

I guess based on this, to the kid it's called luck.

To the parents, it's called....planning   :bowtie:

Interesting.  Does the same thing occur in other sports? Little League was August 31st I believe. Some parents hold their kids back from Kinder in order to gain an edge in school.

Interesting.  Does the same thing occur in other sports? Little League was August 31st I believe. Some parents hold their kids back from Kinder in order to gain an edge in school.
I will put the video in here, the effect goes far past what you think.

Not now, but you are behind on stuff 
I’m not a betting man, but I’d bet a disproportionate amount of active NHL players are Canadian born.

Canada’s population is roughly 38 million/7.9 billion in the world. So, by chance, you’d expect less than 1% Canadians in the NHL.

Yes and not just sports. Anything based on an age cut off. They are smarter, bigger, faster, etc. They tend to become leaders.

While true…there are a bunch programs that know of this bias and intentionally select against it up until 14U.  Of course that could just be programs wanting my money.  I have an ‘11 squirt with an Oct birthdate who is tiny.  
One tiny squirt deserves another. 

School in general has a strange cutoff date. Mine growing up was October 1st, so with my birthday near the end of August, I was consistently among the youngest in my class. My kids are 2 grades apart despite my 2 older kids only being 18 months apart, because my younger 2 are both born in November(they’re 2 years apart anyway), but it’s not too bad, all things considered.

Luck?...money helps too. 

I belong to a goalie message board there was a few pro goalie coaches on there. One guy posted he was going to be local for a student and he offered a free adult clinic for a few of us if we rented the ice. 

After the client we were having beers and his phone kept blowing up. He would text back, roll his eyes and put the phone down. He did this about 5 times before someone asked him what was up. Basically it was the parent of a kid who wanted to hire him. The coach interviewed the kid and team coaches and all were good. But he saids the father (a hedge fund manager) was a complete D bag and he wanted nothing to do with them, and turned them down. So each text was the father upping the offer. So of course we asked what the offer was....so the BASE cost for him is $70K a year which gets the kid 1 on ice session a month and all travel paid by the parents. The latest offer was over $135k/year and he was still turning him down. 

Yea, it was then that I realized that my kid was going to be a really really good men's league player one day. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Luck?...money helps too. 

I belong to a goalie message board there was a few pro goalie coaches on there. One guy posted he was going to be local for a student and he offered a free adult clinic for a few of us if we rented the ice. 

After the client we were having beers and his phone kept blowing up. He would text back, roll his eyes and put the phone down. He did this about 5 times before someone asked him what was up. Basically it was the parent of a kid who wanted to hire him. The coach interviewed the kid and team coaches and all were good. But he saids the father (a hedge fund manager) was a complete D bag and he wanted nothing to do with them, and turned them down. So each text was the father upping the offer. So of course we asked what the offer was....so the BASE cost for him is $70K a year which gets the kid 1 on ice session a month and all travel paid by the parents. The latest offer was over $135/year and he was still turning him down. 

Yea, it was then that my kid was going to be a really really good men's league player one day. 
I hope you mean $135/hr

Similar to how most top race horses are set up to be born early in the year. They all get stuck with last new year's day as their birthday.

Also explains why NBC carries both sports.

Unlucky

Crazy, sad.

A Michigan medical examiner says autopsy results have shown that Columbus Blue Jackets goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks died of chest trauma after a mortar-style firework started to fire toward Kivlenieks and several others on July 4.

It's why so many parents are holding kids back before they start middle/high school.  The additional year is a big difference
In youth hockey birth year trumps school grade, it’s who you play with/are measured against. By the time kids reach HS the studs have been identified relative to other players their birth year. Repeating might make some more impactful HS hockey players but I don’t think its increasing probability of playing at the next level very much. D1 kids who haven’t repeated are almost always sent to juniors for a year after HS, sometimes two.

Users who are viewing this thread