What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

College QB Spencer Rattler, South Carolina (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
Mentioned as possible top pick in next year's draft has signed with Leigh Steinberg.

He 'looks' like a 'potential' top pick.

Video 👀

I think he will eventually earn his own thread.

Last edited:
Anyone else see this kid in HS on Netflix's QB1?
Interesting to see the "where are they now" articles.

Seemed a bit privileged, but definitely talented. Broke Arizona's HS passing yards record. Got suspended for the final 5 games by his school district. Tried to play it off as an "MCL injury for 3-5 weeks". Team lost in the state semi-finals. Had already committed to Oklahoma, so no repercussions.

Smart kid has already branded his initials for the new college name, image and likeness (NIL) rules. Says he will donate some to charity to sell more stuff. Going to make some serious bank. Business savvy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting to see the "where are they now" articles.

Seemed a bit privileged, but definitely talented. Broke Arizona's HS passing yards record. Got suspended for the final 5 games by his school district. Tried to play it off as an "MCL injury for 3-5 weeks". Team lost in the state semi-finals. Had already committed to Oklahoma, so no repercussions.

Smart kid has already branded his initials for the new college name, image and likeness (NIL) rules. Says he will donate some to charity to sell more stuff. Going to make some serious bank. Business savvy.
Definitely talented and definitely can get on the right track (may have already). Something definitely rubbed me the wrong way with him. I work with kids, many his age so maybe he just reminds me a lot of them, and have seen some of them act similarly and allow their attitude to bring them down. "Privileged" may be the perfect word.

Definitely talented and definitely can get on the right track (may have already). Something definitely rubbed me the wrong way with him. I work with kids, many his age so maybe he just reminds me a lot of them, and have seen some of them act similarly and allow their attitude to bring them down. "Privileged" may be the perfect word.
I agree - he came off as a jerk. Arrogant with absolutely no humility or self-awareness. Hopefully he's matured since then.

Oklahoma sophomore QB Spencer Rattler completed 24-of-34 passes for 214 yards and one touchdown in Oklahoma's 23-16 win over Nebraska.

Rattler (6'1"/205) also added six carries for 35 yards and one touchdown. Rattler's best plays were made by his legs rather than his arm. He punched in the first score of the game on a QB sneak, just managing to fall forward. Beyond that, he was accurate throwing on the run and escaping pressure, and had an impressive scramble late in the second. That being said, Rattler was less than impressive in the pocket. He, and the Oklahoma offense in general, struggled to get any explosive plays going, and Rattler missed a number of throws (or made questionable decisions) despite some clean pockets. He was lucky to escape with no interceptions, particularly on a few deep tries into heavy coverage. Minnesota committed heavily to stop the pass to be fair, and Rattler couldn't get much going. Rattler faces West Virginia next week.

Sep 18, 2021, 3:35 PM ET

Oklahoma redshirt sophomore QB Spencer Rattler completed 26-of-36 passes for 256 yards with a touchdown and an interception in a 16-13 win over West Virginia on Saturday.

Not the best effort, but it was good enough; thanks in large part to Oklahoma's defense coming up clutch when it needed to. The 6-foot-1, 200-pound quarterback didn't add anything on the ground, coming up with zero yards rushing -- when accounting for sacks -- with a long gain of nine. Rattler is viewed by many to be one of the best quarterbacks in his class. He has not performed up to that standard just yet, but it's still relatively early in the year. Rattler and the Sooners will try and move to 5-0 against Kansas State next Saturday. 

Sep 25, 2021, 11:03 PM ET

Oklahoma redshirt sophomore QB Spencer Rattler completed 22-of-25 passes for 243 yards and two touchdowns in a 37-31 victory over Kansas State on Saturday.

Rattler (6'1/205) was incredibly efficient in the contest, completing 88 percent of his passes and making multiple big time throws to his receivers. His best play came when Kansas State brought pressure, causing Rattler to roll out and throw a 14-yard touchdown pass to Mike Woods on the right end zone sideline. It was clearly his best performance of the season, and none to soon considering the Sooners have the Red River Rivalry on tap against Texas next Saturday.

Oct 3, 2021, 1:40 AM ET

Oklahoma redshirt sophomore QB Spencer Rattler named Pro Football Focus' number two quarterback.

Rattler (6'1"/200) has had his struggles taking that next step this year, but the grades outside of the deep ball have him still really high according to PFF. His grade of 93.7 on all throws that weren't deep balls (two points higher than second) exemplifies the successes that Rattler has had this year. As the Sooners head into the Red River Shootout on Saturday against Texas, watch for Rattler to air it out a little more deep. 

SOURCE: PFF

Oct 7, 2021, 6:10 PM ET

His first game stats look better than he was. I was thinking wow I'm so spoiled watching OU QBs, as he struggled. 

Next game was umm did he throw an incompletion yet? 

I'm throwing the first game as new jitters. Still looks like OU is QB University. I'm almost in disbelief now wondering if he'll have a bad game and be normal.

Twitter is fun, all these pretend draft folks critiquing him during that near perfect game...I don't care if he throws passes like Kareem shot the sky hook, if they're all complete y'all need to shush. It's really funny if ya want to search that day at Twitter. 

His first game stats look better than he was. I was thinking wow I'm so spoiled watching OU QBs, as he struggled. 

I'm throwing the first game as new jitters. Still looks like OU is QB University. I'm almost in disbelief now wondering if he'll have a bad game and be normal.

Twitter is fun, all these pretend draft folks critiquing him during that near perfect game...I don't care if he throws passes like Kareem shot the sky hook, if they're all complete y'all need to shush. It's really funny if ya want to search that day at Twitter. 
Give me Bryce Young all day over rattler

He went back in and they got the W (RB play) so...does he not put his name in the portal? Still get drafted?

Oklahoma redshirt sophomore QB Spencer Rattler was benched in Saturday’s 55-48 win over Texas.

Rattler may be the only person not celebrating in Norman tonight. Oklahoma HC Lincoln Riley gave him the hook in the second quarter after the Longhorns cashed in Rattler's lost fumble to extend UT's lead to 35-17. It was the second Texas touchdown of the first half that had come off a Rattler turnover. Rattler went just 8-of-15 for 111 yards, no touchdowns, and the two turnovers before getting the hook. It does not help Rattler's cause that five-star true freshman Caleb Williams accounted for three TD while leading OU to a wild comeback win. We do not currently know who will be the Sooners' starting quarterback next week when Oklahoma welcomes TCU to Norman. But if we had to bet, it will be the true frosh, and not Rattler, the consensus QB1 of the 2022 NFL Draft heading into the season.

Oct 9, 2021, 5:09 PM ET

Those videos Ive seen from him in high school and 7 on 7 are really unflattering...  guy is not a leader.  Relentlessly putting down his receivers every time they drop a pass, berating Olinemen when he gets hit.

Caleb Williams looks great in his first start. Passing from the pocket, on the run, good decisions. A big threat on the ground. His accuracy has been excellent. Strong arm. True freshman. 

33rd team writeup pretty much calls him Stafford or bust.

He's making good money off NILs so it really seems unreasonable to expect him to jump to the NFL as a sophomore.

I expect him to hit the transfer portal and let's see if this sting matures him

Bri, nothing personal at all, you’ve brought so much valuable intel to the board over the years and you’re my go-to Titans guy for sleepers and training camp reports. 

But this post is so funny to read now, given the day it was posted and what happened immediately afterwards, it’s uncanny. You can’t be upset given the instant emergence of Caleb Williams though—that’ll be the true enduring memory of that day Rattler was benched. But it seems the pretend draft folks nailed this one with Rattler. 

ConnSKINS26 said:
Bri, nothing personal at all, you’ve brought so much valuable intel to the board over the years and you’re my go-to Titans guy for sleepers and training camp reports. 

But this post is so funny to read now, given the day it was posted and what happened immediately afterwards, it’s uncanny. You can’t be upset given the instant emergence of Caleb Williams though—that’ll be the true enduring memory of that day Rattler was benched. But it seems the pretend draft folks nailed this one with Rattler. 
Yeah it was. I think I mentioned it that day too.

(Thanks BTW)

I think it's something to remember. His coach benched him and he's not even gonna be drafted now. Let's go back to he's a sophomore and has time left to develop.

I know one thing- he isn't awful and the draft folks took it too far this summer. These types latch onto a guy like a pitbull and won't let up. Note Lamar still has detractors and Hurts too. 

Hurts is a good example. He was done at Alabama. (Soph year?) and then transfered to OU. Didn't Baker walk on twice? 

Rattler can make every throw. He needs a coach to work on the mental side. When he's humming, he's as good as anyone (that perfect game or almost perfect) but when he's not he looks quite pedestrian. He'll never make it through rookie year or soph slump in the NFL til he fixes his mindset

Mike Rattler, the father of Oklahoma redshirt sophomore quarterback Spencer Rattler, speaks about his son's future.

It's been a downtrend year for the Sooner QB. He was a preseason Heisman favorite and a highly touted NFL prospect. A lot has changed over the last two months. Rattler's (6'1/200) struggles on the field led head coach Lincoln Riley to bench him during the comeback win against Texas for freshman Caleb Williams. Williams got the start against TCU over Rattler. Mike Rattler made some comments recently about his son's future that have rumors flying. In an article in the OU Daily, he talked about his son's future after the season. “If we think, ‘Hey, you know what, we may ought to do another year or something at Oklahoma, wherever’… we’re leaving our options open whereas that is concerned..." With Rattler now relegated to the bench and his NFL stock dropping, a new opportunity at new school could be on the table.

SOURCE: AZ Central

Oct 17, 2021, 9:00 PM ET

"we’re leaving our options open"
We?  Multiple red flags with Rattler as an NFL player.  I'm sure he could transfer to the right situation/offense in college and put up some numbers, but winning at the next level and leading grown men is a whole different deal.  Out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah he just rubs me the wrong way, and not just cuz I hate ZeroU.  Just seems like an entitled peepeehead.  I'm not one to wish failure on people even if I can't stand their team, but something about him going from entitled jerk to benched just gives me a little "ha ha" moment.  

I'm sure he'll transfer to some up-and-comer and could put up some numbers.  I still think he'll be an absolute BUST at the next level though.

I honestly feel like this was a case of this name and likeness stuff bloating a kids head and completely screwing him over.  

Tons of talent but his goose is cooked at OU.

BOOMER!

I have one share in a devy league and wish I didn’t.  Man, how wrong one can be, or appear to be.  Maybe he turns it around somewhere else, maybe he doesn’t.

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Spencer Rattler is officially on his way out of Oklahoma.

Rattler (6'1/200) officially entered the transfer portal this week after rumors emerged that he could be leaving the Sooners. The news comes just one day after Sooners head coach Lincoln Riley was named the new head coach of the USC Trojans. Rattler, formerly the projected No. 1 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, was benched in favor of Caleb Williams earlier this season and will now look to revive his career elsewhere.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Nov 29, 2021, 1:43 PM ET

Little surprised.
STUNNED! 

South Carolina shook the college football Twitterverse on Monday night when Oklahoma quarterback transfer Spencer Rattler made his commitment to the program. Rattler made his announcement shortly after 9 p.m. as he made his pledge to the Gamecocks and first-year head coach Shane Beamer.

Beamer was the tight ends coach for the Sooners during Rattler’s first year when he was named National Freshman of the Year by CBS Sports and was a Freshman All-American by multiple publications. The two are obviously very familiar with each other, and Rattler chose to continue his career with a familiar face.

Need a title change .... and likely will need others given 50,000 kids are likely going into the transfer portal every year.

Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski

Many already gave up on Spencer Rattler after being benched when he entered last season with QB1 hype.

But he'll be a full year or two younger when he's drafted compared to anyone in this year's class.

Eager to see what he does at South Carolina against SEC competition.

Users who are viewing this thread