What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Poolguys Need recommendation for new pool cleaner (1 Viewer)

SHIZNITTTT

Footballguy
Currently have the DX3 by Dolphin https://maytronicsus.com/product/residential/dx3/ but it has been discontinued.   Does a great job, no need to clean pool.  It is set to run 3 hours a day.  Keeps the pool really clean.  Keeps a pool guy from getting my wife pregnant.  Really like it a lot but parts are very expensive (wife as well).   Was wondering if anyone has another brand that they like and does a great job.

Do they make one that is remote controlled yet?  TIA

I have a zodiac mx8. It works fine. I turn it on once a week. Pool doesn’t get too much debris in it as we have a pool cage. Just stuff from the flowerbeds (leaves and silt) and residual salt etc from the pool. bought it on sale…originally $525 but $200 off with rebates. 

I was looking at the dolphin nautilus but this was too good of a deal to pass up. 

Currently have the DX3 by Dolphin https://maytronicsus.com/product/residential/dx3/ but it has been discontinued.   Does a great job, no need to clean pool.  It is set to run 3 hours a day.  Keeps the pool really clean.  Keeps a pool guy from getting my wife pregnant.  Really like it a lot but parts are very expensive (wife as well).   Was wondering if anyone has another brand that they like and does a great job.

Do they make one that is remote controlled yet?  TIA
Whoa.  3 hours a day?   I think 30min 5x a week on mine is overkill.  

Jandy has cleaners now that are DC motor driven and suction sided and connect to wifi.  Those are next level.  If you can't manage the hookups for that then you may have to slum it with the rest of us. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a good comparison sheet for Pentair/Maytronics robot cleaners (yes, some have a remote control function).  This brand (same company makes both) is highly recommended by many of the nerds on the Trouble Free Pools forum.  Marina Pool, Spa & Patio is also a company that comes highly recommended at TFP.  Just had to replace our Polaris cleaner which was a POS and I went through Marina PSP.  Their prices were good and they were easy to work with.

Is that normal?  I need to remind my wife of the boatloads I save us by doing my own pool and yard.
I dunno?  When the pool was finished the pool company gave us complimentary pool service for a month.  The pool guy showed us how the control board (Pentair) works, testing water, and other simple things.   At the end of the "free month"  the pool guy gave us a quote on cleaning the pool and putting my chemical in the pool to keep levels correct.  Which came out to 300 per month or more if the pool guy supplied the chemicals.  

I got a Phin and it checks the water balances every few minutes.  Check it on my phone and it is as simple as adding a Yellow Pod or Blue Pod whatever is needed.  No measuring.   The Phin is cheaper only 90 bucks a year if you want to supply your own chemicals. 

https://www.phin.co/

Btw, just an FYI for other pool owners:

We just upgraded our pumps to variable speed pumps.  The previous pumps were single speed (one for our pool and one for the spa) and were just ridiculous cost-wise to run on our electricity bills.  There's a new regulation coming out in the next couple weeks that all replacement pumps will have to be variable speed.

Anyway, the pump for the spa jets failed.  As I needed to replace it anyway, I ended up switching over one of the main pumps for that (since I rarely use it) and upgraded the two main pumps to variable speeds a little over a week ago.  I've got the RPM dialed down pretty low (but still enough to turn over the pool more than once).  Water still looks fantastic after a week so, so far so good.  Looking at our electricity usage, it's been cut in half.  Ridiculous savings.  The upgrade will pay for itself in less than 2 years. 

So, if you have single speed pumps, I would highly recommend looking into upgrading to a variable speed pump ASAP.  Plus, in addition to the savings, they are stupid quiet.  Can't hear any of the equipment. 

culdeus said:
200/month is normal in my area for full service. 
Arizona here.  I have a small pool service company.  $99 to $150 is the norm here.  

gianmarco said:
Btw, just an FYI for other pool owners:

We just upgraded our pumps to variable speed pumps.  The previous pumps were single speed (one for our pool and one for the spa) and were just ridiculous cost-wise to run on our electricity bills.  There's a new regulation coming out in the next couple weeks that all replacement pumps will have to be variable speed.

Anyway, the pump for the spa jets failed.  As I needed to replace it anyway, I ended up switching over one of the main pumps for that (since I rarely use it) and upgraded the two main pumps to variable speeds a little over a week ago.  I've got the RPM dialed down pretty low (but still enough to turn over the pool more than once).  Water still looks fantastic after a week so, so far so good.  Looking at our electricity usage, it's been cut in half.  Ridiculous savings.  The upgrade will pay for itself in less than 2 years. 

So, if you have single speed pumps, I would highly recommend looking into upgrading to a variable speed pump ASAP.  Plus, in addition to the savings, they are stupid quiet.  Can't hear any of the equipment. 
I may have to look into this.  Where did you get it and about how much?  I assumed if the regular pumps were illegal (or whatever) they would typically be better.

I may have to look into this.  Where did you get it and about how much?  I assumed if the regular pumps were illegal (or whatever) they would typically be better.
Regular pumps are just outdated. Variable speed is much more energy efficient.  Single speed pumps are about $300-400 and variable speed are roughly double that. With installation, it's about $1K. I did two but one was covered by my insurance. And with the energy efficiency, always check about rebates.

Single speed isn't better. It's excessive for most every pool.  You can save up to 90% if you can really dial down the RPM. I have cut my overall electricity usage in half. Which means it's probably about 75% less since my entire electricity bill isn't just my pool pumps.

Will likely save $150+/month.

Article one

Article two

I mean you can run your single speed pump alot less than people tend to.  Especially in the fall/spring.   

It's by no means a no brainer to rip out a functioning single speed, but for sure they are done. 

I mean you can run your single speed pump alot less than people tend to.  Especially in the fall/spring.   

It's by no means a no brainer to rip out a functioning single speed, but for sure they are done. 
It's not a no brainer.  But, a few things

-- Part of what you're saying depends on where you live.  Here in the midwest, without screened in pools, it's not ideal to have water sitting there without circulating for any extended period of time.  That's different in areas like Florida and Texas.  So, if you run a single speed for about 6 hours (which is about all you need to turn over the pool once) and turn it off for 18, you may run into issues

-- As you can see in the articles, you get an increasingly larger power usage savings at smaller decreases of RPMs.  So, even running your single speed for less time is more expensive than running a variable speed for more time.

-- If you have to replace a pump after July 18th, it is required to be a variable speed pump

-- The above means that variable speed pumps will be a little more difficult to come by initially.  I had to wait a couple weeks for mine because they are sold out in a lot of places.  So, if you have older equipment, consider making the change soon

It's not a no brainer.  But, a few things

-- Part of what you're saying depends on where you live.  Here in the midwest, without screened in pools, it's not ideal to have water sitting there without circulating for any extended period of time.  That's different in areas like Florida and Texas.  So, if you run a single speed for about 6 hours (which is about all you need to turn over the pool once) and turn it off for 18, you may run into issues

-- As you can see in the articles, you get an increasingly larger power usage savings at smaller decreases of RPMs.  So, even running your single speed for less time is more expensive than running a variable speed for more time.

-- If you have to replace a pump after July 18th, it is required to be a variable speed pump

-- The above means that variable speed pumps will be a little more difficult to come by initially.  I had to wait a couple weeks for mine because they are sold out in a lot of places.  So, if you have older equipment, consider making the change soon
Right, but just saying prematurely replacing a SS pump for VFD is not a lock to have a 18mos payback, it assumes the SS is at the end of useful life.  Where that's true, yes it is a no-brainer.  

I also question having suction side running in the fall 24/7.  Where I can't get to clean the skimmers out until the PM most days Having suction on full skimmers isn't ideal. It's for that reason I normally only run my SS from 3-5pm while leaves are falling.  So I can pull the skimmers closer to 6pm.  8 months out of the year I only run my SS 2hrs a day, and where there are freezes forecast I just let the freeze guard run it when required.

I have a screen in FL and I think the regular ones can't be sold here.  I've just been waiting for it to die, but I may be proactive if there are noticeable savings.

I find most people in AZ save $40 a month using a variable speed pump.  
So if you have it open year round, which I assume most do, that's about $500/year in savings. It'll pay for itself in less than 2 years.

So if you have it open year round, which I assume most do, that's about $500/year in savings. It'll pay for itself in less than 2 years.
I think he may be a little low for the VSP cost of $900...

I strictly use pentair and depending on size up pump, $1300 to  $2000 installed.

The 2 models I use are.

Superflo  https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/pool/pentair-ec-342001-superflo-variable-speed-pool-pump/149435p1

Intelliflo.  https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/pool/pentair-ec-011028-intelliflo-variable-speed-pump/173654p1?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&utm_term={query}&gclid=CjwKCAjwoZWHBhBgEiwAiMN66bAJRwqOB_lbNc-dsSR_xSQUq3NAnyS2OhXYbmThLmUWu2EjoMKsoBoC3AQQAvD_BwE

Do you know anything about Century Vgreen 165 variable speed motor? That's what we had installed.

Do you know anything about Century Vgreen 165 variable speed motor? That's what we had installed.
Solid.  I think its off an old pentair patent.  easy to program.  

Have not ever had to replace one, which is a great sign.  I replace Haywards all the time.

Wow...I pay $20 a week...does everything including mechanical maintenance (have a saltwater pool).  
That's super low.   That's basically minimum wage, the people that do the cleaning here spend close to an hour at each pool 2x to 3x a week depending on the season.  That's just to cover the sweeping stuff.  

That's super low.   That's basically minimum wage, the people that do the cleaning here spend close to an hour at each pool 2x to 3x a week depending on the season.  That's just to cover the sweeping stuff.  
Apparently I am WINNING!!!!!

That's a change.  They come to us once a week though.  Dare I ask what on earth makes pools in your area so dirty that they have to be cleaned that often?

Highly recommend  The Polaris VRXIQ+ Robotic Pool Cleaner

Our 3rd year with it and it’s a beast - throw in 2x a week and it does a great job.

Worth every penny.

Leaves and pollen and cottonwood.
We have cages around our pools here, so leaves/cottonwood/pine needles etc aren't an issue.  That's what I was missing.  We still get a ton of pollen in Feb/March and I guess the cages help with that too because it's everywhere, but in the pool.  

Users who are viewing this thread