What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you watch baseball? (1 Viewer)

When's the last time you attended a game?

• 1-3 years ago

Votes: 114 51.1%
  • 3-5 years ago

Votes: 43 19.3%
  • 5+ years ago

Votes: 64 28.7%
  • Never

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters

wazoo11

Footballguy
Just curious as a barometer for interest of baseball and Ohtani.

I've been on and off as a casual Red Sox fan. It's always fun to attend a game but it's also time consuming too. It helps as a sox fan they're Fielding a likeable team this year too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I get a notification on my phone if anyone has a no-hitter thru 7 innings. I'll watch that much.

I won't watch a whole game on TV.

I would watch one in person, but, it's been five years or so since I've bothered to go to a game. But with the prices, I guess they're not hurting for attendance so if they don't want me there, what do I care?

Cub fan whose wife talked him into White Sox weekend season tickets.

Just hoping they got the the WS to pay them off.

Catching a Padres game later this month. The last time I went to a Padres game was 6 years ago. They made it into the 4th inning when the sky opened up. When does that happen in Southern California? Evidently only when I try to go to a Padres game. 

I basically watch the Phillies if I’m home and they are playing.  It’s not appointment TV for me though.

I go to 5-10 games a year between major/minor leagues.

My son on the other hand is a baseball junkie.  He’s been to games in Philly, Tampa, New York (Mets and Yankees) and Baltimore this year.  Think he’s also gone to minor league games in Trenton and Lehigh Valley (Allentown, PA).  Easy 30+ games this year.  If there is a game he can get to and he’s not working he goes.  Lol

Not a fan of 7 inning ball games, starting extra innings with a runner on second and 5 pitchers pitching 2 innings a piece.

Of the three probably less opposed to starting xtra innings with a guy on second.

I watch less baseball than I used to but I watch much less sports all together.

Catching a Padres game later this month. The last time I went to a Padres game was 6 years ago. They made in to the 4th inning when the sky opened up. When does that happen in Southern California? Evidently only when I try to go to a Padres game. 
Lifelong Padre fan here.  This year (and last) have been super fun. 

*as a side note OP. Should have a this year option in the time frame

Enjoy watching the 'Stros and watch most games. It's been a great run and this year's team may be the best of them all.

I’ll throw the Tigers one when I get a chance or especially like to listen on radio in the car or out in the garage.  Will usually throw MLB network on at night

Pre-covid I used to go to a handful of games a year.  Probably will not hit tigers this year unless someone invites me, but I am going to a minor league game in a few weeks

I'm a casual Royals fan. I'll go to a couple games each year but how much I watch on TV depends on how good they are. 

I haven't paid attention to baseball on a daily basis since like, idk.....2010ish.

Baseball seemed to reach a peak in popular culture from 03-about 09-10ish.

Last game I went to was about 5 years ago as part of a company function. It was enjoyable but mostly because we did the stadium tour and had an open bar and buffet.

Just curious as a barometer for interest of baseball and Ohtani.

I've been on and off as a casual Red Sox fan. It's always fun to attend a game but it's also time consuming too. It helps as a sox fan they're Fielding a likeable team this year too. 
Was at the Angels / Red Sox game today. Main reason I went was to see Ohtani play. Such a fun player to watch.

I'm a Dodger fan and go to ~10 games a year. It's just a fun relaxing time to visit with friends.

162 games and painfully slow.  I will watch if my team gets into the playoffs but even then, now with added teams, that ridiculously long regular season means a little less.  Hate that.

With an average age of around 58 and rising, it's akin to horse racing.  And both don't offer much hope of engaging some youth movement any time soon.  There's way more interesting stuff on their phones than some guy stepping out of the batter's box all day to grab his balls and adjust the velcro on his gloves.  Hell, half the kids you see dragged to games are on their phones.

Saw Ohtani in person at the Rays Stadium, got to see the Rays blow them out 13-3 on the Saturday game, Ohtani is something to behold and glad we saw him. 

Probably only attend 2-3 games a year, was going to a lot pre-pandemic but since they started to reopen we prefer to go to less games and sit in the primo seats and get the full game experience 2-3x a year, maybe try the bigger Series you know the games are going to matter more. 

-This weekends set vs the Toronto Blue Jays is going to be fun to watch, tons of young talent both sides and the Blue Jays are making a push. 

-Aug 20-21 they play the White Sox at home and after losing that Series you want to see the Rays take 'em out down here. Could be a Playoff preview as well. 

Boston end of this month seems like a major Series and there's one more of those I think at home vs the Red Sox and they amaze me they are in 1st place still, thought they would fade for sure, maybe they still will. 

Was at the Angels / Red Sox game today. Main reason I went was to see Ohtani play. Such a fun player to watch.

I'm a Dodger fan and go to ~10 games a year. It's just a fun relaxing time to visit with friends.
Growing up in South Florida in the 70s and 80s, we didn't have MLB, we had Yankees minor league, Expos were somehow around and a few other minor league clubs, then maybe 1980-1981 we got cable television and I was hooked on the Braves, we wouldn't see the Florida Marlin until 1993 and so I never got to go to Baseball games much in person until....we moved to los Angeles in 2000 and my wife and I started going to Chavez Ravine and at the time you could buy a $6 ticket into the nosebleeds above home plate and bring your own snacks and water/soda into the stands which seems incredible that you could still do that even 20 yrs ago and I doubt they still are doing that. It was such a pretty place to walk in and watch a game. 

In 1998 I was at the Rays 1st game they ever played in St Pete and my son is mega attached to that team. The World Series was awful interesting to watch, it did hurt watching the Dodgers beat them but they had the experience and had been there before and were the better team but that Game 6....getting back to Chavez Ravine, good times catching up with friends, agreed. The weather couldn't be better and it's either Dodgers or the Hollywood Bowl, both offer great spots to hang out. 

Haven't watched a game on TV in about 15 years. Back then my good buddy was a big fan so we'd have it on while hanging out. 

Haven't been to a major league game since junior high. My dad used to take me to Tiger stadium a couple times each year but that stopped in HS. 

We enjoyed minor league games when we lived near a stadium and we'll probably go to a game here at some point (new team). 

But I've attended many little league and t ball games, if those count. 🤷‍♂️

I watch or listen to games 1-4 hours just about every day. Mostly the Tigers but also the MLB channel games.

This season should be a poll option. I see 2-6 games a year but only 1 so far this year due to Covid, timing and weather.

Dont mind the 7 innings for double headers but hate starting extra innings with a guy on 2nd

Haven't watched a game on TV in 20+ years. 

Only reason I went to a game in the last 5 years was b/c my son's hockey team did a fund raiser and got to go on the field (local minor league game). By the 5th inning, they were begging to go home. 

I used to watch the Twins as much as I could. Between my high school daughter and my college son, I'm at a local ballpark 4 days a week. No desire to watch what the twins trot out onto the field on a regular basis. 

Always prefer watching in person than on TV. Also not far from a minor league stadium so I've gone to more of those than the major league teams nearby.

Never been a fan of the home run derby, would like to see the other skills involved in the game put on display, i.e. throwing accuracy and base running speed.

Now that I've gone through it with my own kids, watching HS and travel ball can be pretty enjoyable as well even when you're own kid isn't out there, maybe even more so.

Watch about 100 games a year on TV but haven't gone in a few years. Yankee stadium is way too expensive. Last time I went someone gave me tickets and the day still cost over $100 for food and parking.

Yes.

Watch at least some part of about 75% of Phillies games.

Watch about 10% of their full games.

Maybe go to a game every 5 years (2-3 hour drive w/ traffic)

Regularly have MLB network on the TV in the background.

I watch almost every Royals game, or at least a part of most of their games. Usually if I don't it's because I'm traveling or something else is going on (family event, etc.)

Gotta watch in good times and in bad times. Just part of my dna I guess. 

I forgot to mention that I do watch a lot of Rays games. I also try to see a local team when I’m lucky enough to visit their city. 

Not at all. Follow offsseason news here and there.

Last time watched any on TV was when Cubs were in the series (however long ago). 

Had Cubs spring training season tickets up to like 3 years ago. No longer go to any games anymore. Just don't have the interest / attention span.

what else can you do with baseball i mean no one says im gonna go down to the field and smell a game come on quit being wierd take that to the bank brohan 

I’ve been ignoring baseball completely for a couple of seasons and will continue to do so until Bob Nutting dies or sells the Pirates, whichever comes first.

I lived in St. Louis from 1996-2003 and became a rabid Cards fan.  Back then, I could tell you who their setup men were out of the pen and all of their bench fielders and when La Russa liked to use who.  We moved down to Springfield in 2003 (home to the AA affiliate and still predominantly Cardinal's territory despite the Royals).  Over the last 15 years or so, my passion has waned a great deal.  Part of it is having kids and priorities shifting (I also don't play fantasy football or golf very often).  But part of it is boredom with the sport in general.  I don't like going to the AA games here in town and I don't like watching games on TV.  I'd love to go to some games in St. Louis, but the cost is silly and I don't care enough to plan a weekend around it.

Yesterday I walked into a friends house and the Cards were on.  I don't think I could name a player on the team outside of Yadi or Goldschmidt and realized that I haven't watched a full game in over two years.  I have friends that still love and follow the Cards and my dad likes to watch them on the weekends and follows their season a great deal.  I guess I've just moved on for a number of reasons and baseball is almost completely off of my radar.

I lived in St. Louis from 1996-2003 and became a rabid Cards fan.  Back then, I could tell you who their setup men were out of the pen and all of their bench fielders and when La Russa liked to use who.  We moved down to Springfield in 2003 (home to the AA affiliate and still predominantly Cardinal's territory despite the Royals).  Over the last 15 years or so, my passion has waned a great deal.  Part of it is having kids and priorities shifting (I also don't play fantasy football or golf very often).  But part of it is boredom with the sport in general.  I don't like going to the AA games here in town and I don't like watching games on TV.  I'd love to go to some games in St. Louis, but the cost is silly and I don't care enough to plan a weekend around it.

Yesterday I walked into a friends house and the Cards were on.  I don't think I could name a player on the team outside of Yadi or Goldschmidt and realized that I haven't watched a full game in over two years.  I have friends that still love and follow the Cards and my dad likes to watch them on the weekends and follows their season a great deal.  I guess I've just moved on for a number of reasons and baseball is almost completely off of my radar.
And something else, I've picked up a fairly serious NBA habit over the least few years...so it isn't really about not having time for it.  For some unconscious reason, I've just gravitated to basketball and left baseball behind.

Not a fan of 7 inning ball games, starting extra innings with a runner on second and 5 pitchers pitching 2 innings a piece.

Of the three probably less opposed to starting xtra innings with a guy on second.

I watch less baseball than I used to but I watch much less sports all together.
I’m a big fan of all these rule changes. 

I live near the stadium and typically go to about 20 games a year, but don’t watch much on television. Often have the game on the radio around the house or in the backyard. 

Watch about 100 games a year on TV but haven't gone in a few years. Yankee stadium is way too expensive. Last time I went someone gave me tickets and the day still cost over $100 for food and parking.
Yeah, the cost to take my family to a game is outrageous. Kansas City ticket prices are actually pretty reasonable if you don't mind sitting in the upper deck. I can get my family of 5 into the door for about $100.

But then you factor in snacks and drinks and such, which is usually somewhere between another $100 - $200. So it turns into a $200 - $300 night.

For a guy like me I can do it once or twice a year. Now, I realize I could just drink water and not have snacks, but try telling that to 3 kids who only get to do this once a year. Impossible.

On top of that baseball over the years continually kicks its consumers in the junk over and over and over. And they are gonna do it again this winter when the collective bargaining agreement runs out.

I LOVE baseball, but man do they make it difficult to care.

Watch Nats games pretty frequently. I have a Radio subscription on the MLB At Bat app that I love. I'll frequently do walks around my neighborhood at night listening to a game, or sit outside in the backyard with a speaker with a game on. It could be Nats or some other random game -- enjoy getting a feel for the local radio teams (being able to listen to Bob Uecker call Brewers games when he is on is nice).

Last game that I attended was one of the 2019 World Series games (that game did not end well, but at least the series did). I'd normally have been to at least a few games by now, but still slowly dipping back into post-vaccine life (and I don't want to bring my son since he's too young to be vaccinated).

Many years ago, I had season tickets to the Braves.  More recently I have been to a handful of Reds games - but nothing in the last 5 or so years.

Try to watch every Mets game, even if it's just on in the background while I'm working. I used to only go to maybe 1 game every couple of years but now that I'm no longer living in NY, I won't even be doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread