What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

America is the best country on Earth, and there is no second. (1 Viewer)

Summer Wheat

Footballguy
So say the people I met from Ethiopia over the weekend.

Went to a wedding in Las Vegas last weekend of an couple I met years ago from Ethiopia.  Of the 150 people there around 60-70 of all ages were from Ethiopia.   Having some drinks and listening to them speak about their "love and pride" for this country and how there is no place like it almost brought me to tears. It was inspiring to just listen to them about how happy and proud they are to live here. And this was from every one I talked to.

One man was a cab driver in Vegas who said he makes a good living, has a nice small home said he never goes on vacation anywhere because he already lives in the paradise called the USA.

Another couple said "We are so sick of watching TV and listening to people here people complaining about this and that, they have no idea what kind of lives many in the world live"  So tired of the USA hate from people who live here. So spoiled, so angry when they have no idea what life can be about for others.    All said they will proudly raise and honor the flag on July 4th.  

Over and over I heard the same thing. ""No matter how little you have here this is still the land of opportunity"   And the people ranged from service workers, cab drivers to nurses and doctors.

I told one man who had a great story and was so happy, so much  positive energy that I wish he would run for congress with his message and he laughed.  Of course being positive does not reasonate here much anymore.

Just to be around a group of people with so much positive energy about life in this country was a joy. Can we all be better?  Of course.  Should we all be a little more grateful of what we have here?  Probably.

Bash away now with some doom and gloom. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t understand, I have NEVER understood, why this always has to be an “either or” thing with so many people. Yes the USA is the greatest country ever. I believe that to my core. And our history is heavily flawed and we remain very flawed and there is plenty of room for improvement. And criticism is good. I believe that to my core as well. 
So I reject your choice. 

I don’t understand, I have NEVER understood, why this always has to be an “either or” thing with so many people. Yes the USA is the greatest country ever. I believe that to my core. And our history is heavily flawed and we remain very flawed and there is plenty of room for improvement. And criticism is good. I believe that to my core as well. 
So I reject your choice. 
Who cares?  He's entitled to his opinion

So I reject your choice. 
The title is not  my choice. I heard this statement over and over.  Just sharing a different perspective from a different group and it was refreshing to hear.

And of course you would reject it.

I wonder what the weekend would have been like if you were at a wedding with a bunch of people from Scandinavian countries.  ;)

But yes, we all need more of this - being around people, especially from different walks of life, and being around positivity.  

So I reject your choice. 
It's always good to get perspective from folks who have lived outside our little bubble.  

Americans have it good, and have time on their hands to worry about social issues.  It's a luxury that many don't have.  

I've heard it over and over.....you come here and work hard, you can achieve things people only dream about in much more oppressive countries.......and then I see all these young Americans complaining about minimum wage and safe spaces.  Suck it up buttercup!

Manster said:
It's always good to get perspective from folks who have lived outside our little bubble.  

Americans have it good, and have time on their hands to worry about social issues.  It's a luxury that many don't have.  

I've heard it over and over.....you come here and work hard, you can achieve things people only dream about in much more oppressive countries.......and then I see all these young Americans complaining about minimum wage and safe spaces.  Suck it up buttercup!
Um no.  Not if you are a person of color.   You MUST have someone propping you up in order to succeed here.  Heck you cant even VOTE without help if you are a minority in America. It's THAT hard for those folks.

Reading some of the posts in the Subforum, I would have thought North Korea was the bests. They treat everyone the same.  
I am sure that's exactly what people who might be critical of our country have in mind.   

Now, was it you that posted recently how our country will never be unified?  

supermike80 said:
Tim tells us over and over how black people are unbelievably mistreated here.

So him saying he loves America is nothing more than his white privilege.  
The love America was not my quote.  To hear people talk about lack of freedoms and no hope to raise a family without fear in different lands, about corrupt governments ruining careers and lives, destroying and killing families, was just refreshing and actually made me feel I should appreciate little things like freedom more myself.  Thats all.   

Without people complaining decades or centuries ago, there'd still be black slaves, water fountains for colored people, women would be second-class citizens, etc. The current complaints about police racism, wealth inequality, and more will lead to a better USA. It's part of our constitution and  bill of rights. Timing and geography have helped the USA alot. 

I hear some of the same type of comments from Haitians in Miami.  My ex-wive's inlaws from Bolivia and most Cubans in Miami agree. The few Canadians I've met don't feel the same. I'll bet many indigenous in the USA don't agree. And neither do many victims of gun violence or a broken Healthcare system. We're working on fixing those things. 

Without people complaining decades or centuries ago, there'd still be black slaves, water fountains for colored people, women would be second-class citizens, etc. The current complaints about police racism, wealth inequality, and more will lead to a better USA. It's part of our constitution and  bill of rights. Timing and geography have helped the USA alot. 

I hear some of the same type of comments from Haitians in Miami.  My ex-wive's inlaws from Bolivia and most Cubans in Miami agree. The few Canadians I've met don't feel the same. I'll bet many indigenous in the USA don't agree. And neither do many victims of gun violence or a broken Healthcare system. We're working on fixing those things. 
Of course things have to evolve.  There are still slaves in many parts, women are second and third class citizens in many parts. I was just impressed than many of the people came here with no money, some with very little education and have thrived.  That just made me feel happy for them. But the main reason is they did not have a chip on their shoulder or looking to blame someone, they just wanted to join the society and try to succeed. For the most part they have because of their attitude.

Summer Wheat said:
So say the people I met from Ethiopia over the weekend.

Went to a wedding in Las Vegas last weekend of an couple I met years ago from Ethiopia.  Of the 150 people there around 60-70 of all ages were from Ethiopia.   Having some drinks and listening to them speak about their "love and pride" for this country and how there is no place like it almost brought me to tears. It was inspiring to just listen to them about how happy and proud they are to live here. And this was from every one I talked to.

One man was a cab driver in Vegas who said he makes a good living, has a nice small home said he never goes on vacation anywhere because he already lives in the paradise called the USA.

Another couple said "We are so sick of watching TV and listening to people here people complaining about this and that, they have no idea what kind of lives many in the world live"  So tired of the USA hate from people who live here. So spoiled, so angry when they have no idea what live can be about for others.    All said they will proudly raise and honor the flag on July 4th.  

Over and over I heard the same thing. ""No matter how little you have here this is still the land of opportunity"   And the people ranged from service workers, cab drivers to nurses and doctors.

I told one man who had a great story and was so happy, so much  positive energy that I wish he would run for congress with his message and he laughed.  Of course being positive does not reasonate here much anymore.

Just to be around a group of people with so much positive energy about life in this country was a joy. Can we all be better?  Of course.  Should we all be a little more grateful of what we have here?  Probably.

Truth.  

America has 40% of the world's millionaires despite making up only 4% of the world's population.

Largest percentage of black millionaires of any country and it's not even close.

supermike80 said:
Tim tells us over and over how black people are unbelievably mistreated here.

So him saying he loves America is nothing more than his white privilege.  
1. Blacks have suffered tremendously in the United States, due to systemic racism which continues into the present day. 
2. If I was a black person I would rather live in the USA than any other country on Earth. (That’s also true of every other minority.) 

These two statements, both of which I strongly believe, do NOT contradict each other. 

1. Blacks have suffered tremendously in the United States, due to systemic racism which continues into the present day. 
2. If I was a black person I would rather live in the USA than any other country on Earth. (That’s also true of every other minority.) 

These two statements, both of which I strongly believe, do NOT contradict each other. 
How DARE you say "if I was a black person"  wow.   Seriously wow.  You just put yourself in their shoes and decided how a black person would think.  THAT is systemic racism and white privilege.  And it's downright hilarious that you dont even know it.

America has 40% of the world's millionaires despite making up only 4% of the world's population.

Largest percentage of black millionaires of any country and it's not even close.
Perfect example of what I was just thinking about as I was cleaning the house and playing with the kiddo.   I have 0 doubt that people who are all about careers, making bank, making millions, accumulating stuff, etc..  would find the US to be #1 with a bullet.   That comes off a little snarkier than intended, but have all the opportunity in the world to do those things.  We are all about working our asses off and putting a ton of effort into jobs/careers.  We are very individualistic.  

Now, what about people who don't 100% buy into that lifestyle?   Would somebody that prioritized family/friends, community, cheap access to healthcare, having time for the kids, or other things rank us as high?   Maybe not.    All about perspective.  

Perfect example of what I was just thinking about as I was cleaning the house and playing with the kiddo.   I have 0 doubt that people who are all about careers, making bank, making millions, accumulating stuff, etc..  would find the US to be #1 with a bullet.   That comes off a little snarkier than intended, but have all the opportunity in the world to do those things.  We are all about working our asses off and putting a ton of effort into jobs/careers.  We are very individualistic.  

Now, what about people who don't 100% buy into that lifestyle?   Would somebody that prioritized family/friends, community, cheap access to healthcare, having time for the kids, or other things rank us as high?   Maybe not.    All about perspective.  
:loco:   Millions of dollars allows you to have all those things.

WOAH WOAH WOAH WAIT JUST ONE SECOND HERE

I was told, not more than a couple weeks ago, that black people are horribly misrepresented when it comes to being rich..Horribly and terribly.  I even said that 13% of americans are black and 13% of the millionaires in this country are black and i was shot down.   I wish this board would make up it's ever loving mind.

:loco:   Millions of dollars allows you to have all those things.
Not always, and sometimes while you are working towards those millions, you lose out on things.  

Again, there is no right or wrong, just saying for some having millions isn't the end all, but this is a fantastic place to be if you do want that.  

WOAH WOAH WOAH WAIT JUST ONE SECOND HERE

I was told, not more than a couple weeks ago, that black people are horribly misrepresented when it comes to being rich..Horribly and terribly.  I even said that 13% of americans are black and 13% of the millionaires in this country are black and i was shot down.   I wish this board would make up it's ever loving mind.
Yeah, there was a further discussion about if 1M net worth is "wealthy" and how you go farther up the wealth scale that 13% drops a ton.  

Of course things have to evolve.  There are still slaves in many parts, women are second and third class citizens in many parts. I was just impressed than many of the people came here with no money, some with very little education and have thrived.  That just made me feel happy for them. But the main reason is they did not have a chip on their shoulder or looking to blame someone, they just wanted to join the society and try to succeed. For the most part they have because of their attitude.
People immigrating from most countries are a select group. It's a brain drain, not just IQ smartness, but also street smartness, and motivation. And socioeconomic advantage in their home countries. The legal Cuban immigration in the 1960s was disproportionately white and professional. From the PhD level to farm workers to CNAs changing diapers of our elderly parents, they are not complacent. The example of these Ethiopians is a great argument for the need for more immigration in the USA.

If anyone here says 1M isn't wealthy they are crazy.   Just crazy.    Anyone wo says it isn't is either clueless or so rich they again are showing their white privilege
They way everyone talks around here, I would assume 80% of FBGs have a net worth of 1M

ETA:  1.  I was doing the math on net worth wrong and will admit that.  

2.   Usually to me wealthy = the 1%, which is net worth of 10M+.  

Unlike our ex-President I think the USA has always been great.  That doesn't mean we haven't made mistakes and it doesn't mean we can't be better.

To do that you need to be able to objectively look at what you're doing right, what needs to improve and be more focused on finding solutions and working together than blaming the other side.

I don't have a whole lot of confidence that our elected officials will be able to do much of that but let's hope they start.

People immigrating from most countries are a select group. It's a brain drain, not just IQ smartness, but also street smartness, and motivation. And socioeconomic advantage in their home countries. The legal Cuban immigration in the 1960s was disproportionately white and professional. From the PhD level to farm workers to CNAs changing diapers of our elderly parents, they are not complacent. The example of these Ethiopians is a great argument for the need for more immigration in the USA.
With their attitudes, willingness to assimilate and positivity I totally agree. Need an influx of more like them and others to counter balance things

Just hope they don`t get disenchanted by all the media negativity.

Summer Wheat said:
Democrats/liberals will doom and gloom - they seem to hate everything from the police to the flag to the judicial system ..... its unreal how unhappy some people are with our wonderful country 

timschochet said:
So I reject your choice. 
I don't get it either. This is a variation of the "America Love It Or Leave It" mentality that first appeared on bumper stickers during the Vietnam war.

Yes, this is the greatest country in the world to live in. That doesn't mean that we should cheerfully accept every single about it, simply because things overall are worse in most other places. It also doesn't mean this country or its policies should be completely immune from or be above criticism. 

Democrats/liberals will doom and gloom - they seem to hate everything from the police to the flag to the judicial system ..... its unreal how unhappy some people are with our wonderful country 
It works both ways.  The Republicans hate/don't trust American elections,  the DOJ,  FBI, Supreme Court, Vice President and had no problems calling the Capitol police traitors and whacking them with poles.   

There sure appear to be a lot of people unhappy with our wonderful country and they aren't all on the left.

I don't get it either. This is a variation of the "America Love It Or Leave It" mentality that first appeared on bumper stickers during the Vietnam war.

Yes, this is the greatest country in the world to live in. That doesn't mean that we should cheerfully accept every single about it, simply because things overall are worse in most other places. It also doesn't mean this country or its policies should be completely immune from or be above criticism. 
:confused:     Not one person said "Love it or leave it"    You are reading something that is not there.  This is about being positive and you lean toward the negative.  I for one was happy to hear their stories.  The PSF is a negative forum so i was just trying to inject something positive.  I knew it would be difficult here.  So take that elsewhere and keep it positve in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread