Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** 2021/22 NHL Season Thread **** Bolts are the new Sabes.

Posted (edited)

he following are key dates on the calendar for the 2021 NHL offseason.

Mid-July: 2021-22 NHL schedule release

July 21: 2021 NHL Expansion Draft (Seattle), 8 p.m. (ESPN2)

July 23: Round 1 of the 2021 NHL Draft, 8 p.m. (ESPN2)

July 24: Rounds 2-7 of the 2021 NHL Draft, 11 a.m. (NHL Network)

July 28: Free agency opens, 12 p.m.

Mid-September: NHL Prospects Showcase in Tampa

Mid-Late September: Training camp begins

Late September: 2021 preseason begins

Mid-October: 2021-22 regular season begins

Edited by Getzlaf15

• Getzlaf15 changed the title to *** 2021/22 NHL Season Thread **** Cap already having nightmares about the Cap.

All right, time to run it back for a third Cup!

Well, eventually anyway, but there’s some business to attend to first. I’m curious to see who Seattle grabs from each team, which guys are set out for them to choose, and what’s going to happen in free agency with a flat cap.

Tampa will lose some guys, probably Johnson, Goodrow, and Coleman, to name a few. Word is Coleman would like to head home to Dallas, for which I can’t blame the guy(I went there in June 2020, nice place, though nut-sweatingly hot), and our third line is going to look a lot different. Silver lining, Tampa’s core is intact for at least another year, and figuring that out is a problem then.

I'm glad the schedule release is first thing.  Have tix to see chiefs at chargers in LA, Thursday Dec 16.   Praying Ducks are at home that Friday and Sunday so I can see Zegras also.  

6 hours ago, Fantasy_Freak said:

When are teams required to provide their expansion draft protected list?

July 17: By 5 p.m., teams must submit protection lists for the Expansion Draft to the league.

July 18: The NHL must approve and distribute the protection lists to all NHL teams by 10 a.m. They will likely be made public at about that time.

23 hours ago, falguy said:

Expansion draft should be fun. Interested to see how much the GM's learned from the Vegas debacle.

I was thinking about this yesterday, and looked back at the Vegas draft and some of the deals that were made.

Obviously everyone knew Fleury was going there. Marchessault, Schmidt and Neal seemed like no-brainers. But I don’t think guys like Theodore, Tuch and Reilly Smith were on anyone’s radars as “sweeteners” to avoid taking certain players like Dumba.

Ultimately you would think they would have learned, but when it comes to individual teams making the decisions that are “right” for their teams, who knows what will happen. Any one of those Knights deals standing on their own wouldn’t have been earth-shaking, but it was the totality of them that was incredible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dickie Dunn said:

I was thinking about this yesterday, and looked back at the Vegas draft and some of the deals that were made.

Obviously everyone knew Fleury was going there. Marchessault, Schmidt and Neal seemed like no-brainers. But I don’t think guys like Theodore, Tuch and Reilly Smith were on anyone’s radars as “sweeteners” to avoid taking certain players like Dumba.

Ultimately you would think they would have learned, but when it comes to individual teams making the decisions that are “right” for their teams, who knows what will happen. Any one of those Knights deals standing on their own wouldn’t have been earth-shaking, but it was the totality of them that was incredible.

Really amazing how hell bent some GM's were about shedding bad contracts.

The MINN, ANA, CLBS trades are so rediculous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NHL_Expansion_Drafthttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NHL_Expansion_Draft

I’m really interested to see what Drury winds up doing. I have a feeling they will be overpaying for guys like Danualt, Goodrow and Coleman types. Although they could desperately use Danault I think he raised his stock immensely this post season. 
I would stay clear of Eichel but they need to trade Chytl, Kravstov, their first round pick and one of Lindkqvist, Jones and Schneider. Will be interesting to see what they can get for those guys or all together. 
There just isn’t enough room for all of them. A good problem to have but they can’t get fleeced either. 

8 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Really amazing how hell bent some GM's were about shedding bad contracts.

The MINN, ANA, CLBS trades are so rediculous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NHL_Expansion_Drafthttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NHL_Expansion_Draft

easy to say now.  each of those made sense at the time, even Florida.  with so many deals with young guys there were bound to be some bad ones.

11 minutes ago, Bill Brasky said:

easy to say now.  each of those made sense at the time, even Florida.  with so many deals with young guys there were bound to be some bad ones.

Exposing Marchessault looked awful from day 1 imo. 

Petrovic?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AcerFC said:

I’m really interested to see what Drury winds up doing. I have a feeling they will be overpaying for guys like Danualt, Goodrow and Coleman types. Although they could desperately use Danault I think he raised his stock immensely this post season. 
I would stay clear of Eichel but they need to trade Chytl, Kravstov, their first round pick and one of Lindkqvist, Jones and Schneider. Will be interesting to see what they can get for those guys or all together. 
There just isn’t enough room for all of them. A good problem to have but they can’t get fleeced either. 

Heard somebody today say Coleman was going to get 4 years/20M. He’s a very good player but that seems crazy to me. 

2 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

I don't remember much criticism of the Minnesota and Columbus trades at the time. The Florida one was panned almost instantly. 

26 minutes ago, Capella said:

Haha...I know we were working on some angle, not sure where it is...but notice there are no Lightning marks from our local friends at Smack...we can’t do ‘grey goods’...not illegal typically (Smack has lost lawsuits) but not licensed approved either.

Edited by gump

15 hours ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:

Exposing Marchessault looked awful from day 1 imo. 

Petrovic?

dumping the Smith contract at the time looked like a decent gamble.  obviously it was one of the riskier moves made but I understood why they did it at the time.  Vegas was in a no lose scenario in nearly all these situations, lots of tough decisions for everyone else 

3 hours ago, Capella said:

A lot of teams are going to be mad when they change that rule, and then that team has to put someone good on the street. Oh well, it’ll suck to be them.

@SunGarrioch: The #Sens are set to introduce former NBC broadcaster Pierre McGuire as senior VP of player development today. Postmedia has an exclusive interview with McGuire and owner Eugene Melnyk that will be posted by @ottawasuncom and @OttawaCitizen any minute. Pick up a copy.

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, Grahamburn said:

Boat parade today at 11 am. Dive teams at the ready in case the cup goes for a skinny dip. 

Anybody going? My wife and I keep going back and forth but I don’t think I can sit in that July sun for multiple hours. 

19 minutes ago, Capella said:

Anybody going? My wife and I keep going back and forth but I don’t think I can sit in that July sun for multiple hours. 

I tried talking my wife into going, but that didnt happen.

2 hours ago, Capella said:

So hot/humid out.  Bunch of pasty white drunks who can't be bothered to go to work on a Monday?  Hard pass.

3 hours ago, Capella said:

I couldn't get time off of work :kicksrock:

• Laughing 1

30 minutes ago, Grahamburn said:

So hot/humid out.  Bunch of pasty white drunks who can't be bothered to go to work on a Monday?  Hard pass.

Told my wife the only thing we’d see is a bunch of white bros yelling WHOOOOOOOOO for 3 hours straight. 

1 hour ago, Capella said:

Told my wife the only thing we’d see is a bunch of white bros yelling WHOOOOOOOOO for 3 hours straight. 

Honestly, this would probably be my experience there as well, if I had decided to try to go. Never mind that I’m on the other side of the state, and it’s hotter than crap here, I am content to watch the recordings of it later.

• Getzlaf15 changed the title to *** 2021/22 NHL Season Thread **** Parade Day for the Cup and a bunch of white guys can't be bothered to WOOOOOO for 3 hrs Down By The River
10 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

not sure what EDM is doing 

@FriedgeHNIC: Keith to EDM for Caleb Jones and a third. No salary retained.

Curious indeed.

love Duncan but this seems like a weird move for the Oilers. He'll provide some veteran leadership and save the owner some $ since his cap hit is way higher than salary owed. Blackhawks seem likely to target Seth Jones now.

3 hours ago, JaxBill said:

not sure what EDM is doing 

@FriedgeHNIC: Keith to EDM for Caleb Jones and a third. No salary retained.

As a Hawks fan, I’m happy.  Liked Keith, but the contracts were a killer.  

So apparently Guerin hasn't asked Parise or Suter to waiver their no-move clauses to help them protect someone else on the team that, you know, could actually get selected. So what am I missing here? Isn't that just incompetent? I guess unless he has some other deal in place where he already knows who Seattle is going to take.

• Thinking 1

• Getzlaf15 changed the title to *** 2021/22 NHL Season Thread **** Cap winds up going to Cup Parade and dents the Stanley Cup!
19 hours ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:

love Duncan but this seems like a weird move for the Oilers. He'll provide some veteran leadership and save the owner some $ since his cap hit is way higher than salary owed. Blackhawks seem likely to target Seth Jones now.

This is vintage Ken Holland

• Getzlaf15 changed the title to *** 2021/22 NHL Season Thread **** Bolts are the new Sabes.