What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2021/22 Stanley Cup NHL Thread **** Congrats 2022 Avs Cup Champs! (1 Viewer)

After this year their combined cap hit the next 3 years is 13M, 15M and 15M. Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes. 

Suter still pretty good no? What a wild decision. Must be expansion draft related. 
Won't miss Suter one bit. Most fans won't. Reality or not, he's perceived as a cancer in the locker room by many. Maybe this proves that perception, because they're really not gaining much except cap space this one year and the ability to protect Dumba now.

Can't imagine the Wild being able to trade for Eichel or Barkov even with these buy-outs. They could only afford a contract like that for this year. Unless the cap goes up about $20 million next year. This has to be about "changing the culture."

@CapFriendly: So what benefits were there to these two buyouts?

1. Neither needs to be protected for expansion (if they weren't willing to waive their NMC)
2. Frees 2 roster spots
3. Clears $10.3M in cap this season https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1414980159485140999
Parise had no place to play, and it was a problem. So it gets rid of him. The only thing I can think of is that Guerin agreed with a lot of the "whispers" around the team that Suter is a cancer.

And now they can protect two of Dumba, Greenway, Soucy, Sturm.

Can't imagine the Wild being able to trade for Eichel or Barkov even with these buy-outs. They could only afford a contract like that for this year. Unless the cap goes up about $20 million next year. This has to be about "changing the culture."
Barkov?

they could have went 4/4 and protected Dumba before this move. maybe lose Foligno or Hartman.

as things stand though, Russo tweeted this:

Wild 7-3-1 protection list will likely be now with 2 spots opened: Zuccarello, Fiala, Eriksson Ek, Foligno, Hartman, Greenway, STURM, Spurgeon, Brodin, DUMBA, Talbot Exposed: Rask, Soucy, Kahkonen, Menell + minor leaguers and UFA's (just a guess)

Last edited by a moderator:
Suter surprises me, still a good defensive D man and may be useful through the end of the contract.  but on the other hand it does free up a ton of cap this year and kicks the cap can down the road when it is expected to rise.  Fiala is asking big money so he's either getting paid or moved for other big money.  Dumba gets protected now and Addison impressed at the end of the year (and there are a couple other options).

gives them flexibility to get things done now but a bit risky thereafter if cap stays flat.

Victor Hedman will have knee surgery and is expected to recover in about 4 weeks. Tampa will place him on LTIR accordingly, and opposing fans will sit there and pout.

rumors it could be career threatening 

@PierreVLeBrun: Further to what @renlavoietva reported, can report that there’s concern for Shea Weber over knee, ankle and thumb injuries. May not play next season. Habs haven’t made any final decisions on expansion draft yet but seems likely they won’t protect him. Weber saw doc today.

Did not realize Weber was in the middle of a 14-year contract. :lmao:  NHL GMs are so bad. 
not at all.  long term front loaded deals became UFA market price when GMs realized they could reduce the cap hit by adding years into expected retirement.  then the NHL decided to retroactively penalize their own rules by creating the cap recapture penalty.  completely ridiculous move by the league.  no idea how you can fault a GM for paying a player of Weber’s caliber market rate at the time.  when they did the deal that cap penalty literally wasn’t a reality.

plus the Weber deal was forced through an offer sheet.

not at all.  long term front loaded deals became UFA market price when GMs realized they could reduce the cap hit by adding years into expected retirement.  then the NHL decided to retroactively penalize their own rules by creating the cap recapture penalty.  completely ridiculous move by the league.  no idea how you can fault a GM for paying a player of Weber’s caliber market rate at the time.  when they did the deal that cap penalty literally wasn’t a reality.

Eh, it was a clear circumvention of what the cap was implemented for.  Though if it were me, I probably would have put a slightly less onerous penalty for those deals that had already been made.

Eh, it was a clear circumvention of what the cap was implemented for.  Though if it were me, I probably would have put a slightly less onerous penalty for those deals that had already been made.
it was structuring like any other contract.  and even if this is your opinion, market terms were dictating it.  you couldn’t sign a big free agent during this period without offering it.  that’s fine if the leeg wants to stop it but penalizing all those contracts is draconian.  they were just operating under the conditions the leeg created.  they are talking about changing LTIR now, should they take Tampa’s dented cup away?  absolutely not.

it was structuring like any other contract.  and even if this is your opinion, market terms were dictating it.  you couldn’t sign a big free agent during this period without offering it.  that’s fine if the leeg wants to stop it but penalizing all those contracts is draconian.  they were just operating under the conditions the leeg created.  they are talking about changing LTIR now, should they take Tampa’s dented cup away?  absolutely not.
The league definitely could have handled it better, specifically by reaching out to GMs privately to let them know changes would be coming.  But it was pretty clear they were circumventing the cap, even back then.  As for LTIR I think it does need changes, remains to be seen if they do a better job with that then they did with long term front loaded contracts.  I don't have a ton of sympathy is all.

this, completely.

so dumb to retroactively punish teams when the league had to approve the contract in the first place!

also, if things were fair, the Flyers should at least share the recapture penalty on Weber.

@emilymkaplan: Elvis Merzlikins said Matiss Kivlenieks "died a hero." 

"He saved not just many lives, but when it happened, I was standing 20, 30 feet back of him and I was hugging my wife. He saved my son, he saved my wife, and he saved me." https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31823310/in-eulogy-matiss-kivilenieks-praised-saving-many-lives-fireworks-blast
He saved pucks for a living, he died saving people as well. That’s good on him for doing that, even though it cost him everything.

if buffalose wants to offload eichel, his bad back and 10mm per, i don’t think any dumb gm will be offering multiple players and picks.  the 10mm is bad enough.  eat some money and i’d talk.  that’s just me.  i don’t think 10mm is a bargain here where multiple assets should be given.

Chemical X said:
if buffalose wants to offload eichel, his bad back and 10mm per, i don’t think any dumb gm will be offering multiple players and picks.  the 10mm is bad enough.  eat some money and i’d talk.  that’s just me.  i don’t think 10mm is a bargain here where multiple assets should be given.
They should keep him until he’s healthy then. 

@SunGarrioch: The Lightning are trying to attach draft picks to bad contracts to get the off the books. #NHL

@SunGarrioch: The Lightning are trying to attach draft picks to bad contracts to get the off the books. #NHL
Not buying that at all. What bad contract do they have other than Tyler? No way in the world would they be attaching picks to move Killorn/Palat/Gourde. 

@KKurzNHL: I’m told Sharks are getting close to acquiring another goalie. Sounds like it’s going to happen before the 12 noon PT deadline

Not buying that at all. What bad contract do they have other than Tyler? No way in the world would they be attaching picks to move Killorn/Palat/Gourde. 
Tyler’s contract is really the only “bad” one, but they’re probably going to lose at least one of those three. Silver lining, they have the depth to replace them, and they’d probably get back under the cap so people can whine less about that and more about how Tampa runs the league now.

They just picked up an extra 7th rounder next year. #threepeat 
To be fair, they drafted Brayden Point 79th overall. Granted, it’s not a 7th rounder, but Tampa can and will make other teams look stupid for passing on guys.

“OFFICIAL: #NYR  have acquired forward Barclay Goodrow from Tampa Bay in exchange for a 7th-round pick in the 2022 NHL Draft and have acquired a 4th-round pick in the 2022 NHL Draft and defenseman Nick DeSimone from Vegas in exchange for Brett Howden.“

@NYRangers

Users who are viewing this thread